Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

Aero737 posted:

Any suggestions for getting really lovely FPS and performance from this game? It is like 20 years old and somehow still brings my computer to a crawl. I see it is using 50% CPU constantly, I tried setting affinity to just Core 0 or Core 1 (single core game) but no help. Disabled detail and advanced textures. Seems to run perfectly in single player, but on the goon server in the later years it just crawls.

Welcome to playing online with goons that like to max out their vehicle count :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Vier posted:

So I made something

For the one where you have the Chemist, you could do Copper Mine and Zinc Mine to make Brass for the Weapons Factory.(I think should be called Small Arms Plant, to differentiate if we want to build tanks or something)

Overall I do like yours, the map also makes it easier to visualize.

Apocadall fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 2, 2011

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Thompsons posted:

Mercenaries sounds cooler than henchmen :colbert:

Army Base: Counterfeit Money + Small Arms = Mercenaries, since they're bought, not trained.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Might be a fun game mode to do islands, where each company gets an island to work with.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Sam. posted:

The world generator doesn't really work like that last I checked. You'd have to use the terrain editor to make it manually (or find one that someone's already made).

Just wing it and some people get tiny crappy islands with little industry and the goal is to link everything on the island.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

1. Signals, with two rails and signals blocking 1 direction from travel.
2. Highway style of tracks with signals to control what side.
3. I think goods can be delivered to a city with a shopping mall.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Karthe posted:

Thanks for the tips, guys, I'm sure I'll have to practice some before it all starts to make sense.

I found the "Display Chain" button pretty early on, but I can't figure out how you deliver to "Houses" - is it enough that a depot is within the city borders that the goods will make it to "Houses" automatically?

When placing a station it will tell you what it can accept and what it gives I think. Turn on the coverage area tickbox to see it better.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Destroy the train station, and when you rebuild it, ctrl-click it and attach it to the truck station.

CTRL-click makes me happy, seeing an airport, terminal, bus/truck station and a dock all working together :allears:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

From Earth posted:

Dear OpenTTD thread, what the hell is this crap?

Both trains have been converted to Engineering Supplies, and both just sit there, ignoring all the loving Engineering Supplier they're supposed to load. :mad:

Maybe Jacob North doesn't want engineering supplies :v:

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Fishbus posted:

I'm saying that you grab Unity, UnrealEd or whatever and build a spiritual successor from the ground up. Make alphas for free, drum up interest and more talent. I'm talking rediculously low poly models will even do and heck it'd probably give it lots of charm if they keep in it that colourful original 16BPP style. Then start donations and beta etc. Seems like an easy investment.

A more elegant UI as well as some other modern gameplay things like RPG (levelling up/proficiency etc) elements would improve accessibility and grow the fanbase. It'd probably do quite well for a small team of proficient developers

It's a lot harder then that and would take years of development. The other issue is that you'd alienate the fans for changing it too much from an economic simulator. Trying to make a game with mass appeal is a very hard thing to do. The amount of variables involved in trying to make a game that will appeal to one crowd without alienating another crowd makes it too difficult. This is why more indie developers take more niche routes for their games trying to appeal to specific fanbases instead of as many as possible.

There really is no benefit to this game going to a 3D engine, since I imagine most people that play treat it as a simulator more then a game and just want to change numbers to make bigger numbers. The graphics is unimportant.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

TF2 is a bad comparison just because it's a completely different genre, people not interested in games like this probably wont ever be interested in them. A better comparison would probably be Sim City to Cities XL, if you want to improve the graphics to a game like this you have to maintain some a level of simulation to it that wont cause the players looking for that to just go back to OpenTTD.

I personally feel 3D graphics for a game like this could work and be phenomenal, but it needs to have improved gameplay elements as well. This is where the Cities XL people are stuck. It's just incredibly shallow by comparison to Sim City. This could be rose-tinted glasses but for a city simulator not having proper traffic simulation in it is a waste of time.

I know nothing about engine creation, the only programming I've ever done is scripting but I've been trying to learn more. I'm not sure how well an engine like CryEngine or Unreal would work for a game like this where it's priorities are elsewhere. It really seems like something you'd have to make from the ground up which would add a lot of development time. An indie studio could do it but funding something like that would be difficult unless they basically worked on it in their free time and then it would take even longer to get it to a completed stage.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

If I had more confidence in my programming ability I'd even be interested in something like that. I'm more interested in the simulation side of it, as you said, plotting paths and junctions. Are you planning on using an established engine?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

If it's on, does it have a different IP address then the one in the OP?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Dotcom656 posted:

EDIT: It took a 295MPH aircraft 35 minutes(About 2.5 in game years) to fly across the map with 26 passengers and it gave me $42,000 In case anyone was wondering how much the "paper from Africa" factor was worth on this scale.

That's a $1,615 plane ticket per person for a one way trip. Hope it was first class!

EDIT: Also when is server usually reset?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

I'm not sure what happened with the earlier problem, but now I have one where my train full of oil tanks is sitting around next to 300,000 liters of oil, refusing to pick any up.

Did you refit the cars for oil?

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

LordSaturn posted:

This has always been an oil train. I bought oil tank cars. They've never been anything else. I don't understand the question :psyduck:

Could it be something to do with the destination of oil? Maybe they don't want to send oil to where you're sending it. I can't remember which mod does that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

I'm getting that hall of mirrors effect on the edges of the map that another person posted earlier in the thread with the version from the OP. Any idea what's causing it? It seems like the game is having trouble displaying the black space around the map so just fills it with whatever it can that's on the edge.

• Locked thread