Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Sankis posted:

This game is great and one I can waste hours with. The only problem I have with it is that everything but trains feel useless. No one ever uses anything but trains! In singleplayer it's not as bad since the AI will use other stuff (and fail) but multiplayer is just one big trainfest of trains.

Each map usually only lasts a couple of days so I've been trying something different most games than the previous one and I don't think I'm the only one. I've done road only games and was thinking of trying a shipping game when a watery enough map comes along. I'm a little leery of trying a planes one though, crashing is still active even with breakdowns etc turned off although I suppose if it happens very early on you can just restart a new company.

Each reset usually has a new rule tweak in there somewhere, last nights had 6x cargo weight so my full coal trains seemed to be going slowly enough in 1950 with a Mallard class engine to have a chap with a red flag walking in front of them.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say boils down to : The server resets so often just do what you like! The maps have been big enough for even six or seven players to do their thing and not bash against each others plans too hard.

Thanks again to lessthanthree for hosting the server, I've so many darn Steam games backlogged and untouched and instead I've been happily playing openttd when I've had pc time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Has the extra zoom levels project ran out of steam? (:downsrim: Okay, I'll get my coat...) The latest version is from back in April from what I could see and the official forum seems dead. Anyone know of a different source or that is it? There are times just being able to go one more zoom level closer to check something would be darn handy.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is it still possible to play Vanilla single player with this version, or does it have hardcoded changes or something? I'd like to check out the multiplayer server but I'm still pretty new and easily confused. :ohdear:

Just login anyway, I thought exactly the same as you but then thought wth and logged in once and that was it, I haven't managed to play single player for more than a few mins since. Being able to see other peoples networks actually running is far far more helpful than trying to puzzle stuff out on your own or looking at wiki screenshots.

Most people are helpful on the server and will answer stuff, give you some coins to get going etc.

This new server ruleset is interesting, a single terraforming block is 30m quid haha

Edit : Noooooo 32 aircraft is the max >.<

Fazana fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Aug 30, 2011

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

duz posted:

Gold and valuables don't make much money. I usually setup a two plane route between the two largest cities and that tends to get me plenty of money for train shenanigans.

With the ruleset as it is for the trains atm, I'd suggest tweaking aircraft settings as well. Comparatively it's probably way too easy to make money early in the game flying 707's between a city pair on opposite sides of the map. I could buy planes for less than what I could see some of the new trains were costing! For a complete bonkers one off game sometime, please adjust the max aircraft to waaay more than 32. I guess terraforming cost changes affected cities as it just cost me £86m to build a medium sized 986 pop city even on completely flat land :v:

One thing I hadn't appreciated before, it seems some models of planes get better stats over time without being listed as a brand new type of aircraft. My 747 fleet started at 366 passengers but I noticed they could handle 416 by the late 1980s. After fiddling around for a while it seems that if you send an older plane for a proper service using the UI it upgrades it automagically to the better stats \o/

Overall though I like the look of the changes to the core game but I suspect it will take a while to get used to it (on the rail side anyway) as a lot of the changes probably have the info buried in the tt-forums somewhere.

Please use the terraforming settings pretty often, having to work around the terrain is much more interesting.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Aug 30, 2011

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Had a play around with how the passengers and their wanted destinations work on the current server. Would there be any disadvantage to running a huge ring system and shuttling trains stopping at each city to cover it all? Seems the easiest way to handle it from the play I had. OpenTTD experts wanted to explain how I'm a newb and "network Xyz" is preferable if that is true!

I have to ask, why has there been such a mania about upgrading trains this go round? I saw £200m of new choochoo's between Freight and Passengers in just 2 years go by just now?!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
The server cannae take no more cap'n!

It's in the 97th year and it appears communism is on the wane at last, yay!

p.s. No maglev freight = FML. I wasn't standing for that coal going untouched so I fashioned a cunning delivery device. Refitted 747s are awesome coal carriers!*

*Not really, was costing me twice what I made back.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Gamerofthegame posted:

I have found a excellent way to play the game.
So that's how you zoomed past me so quickly this time round! :argh:

As for just now, sorry lessthanthree, seems my ISP or whatever hates yours this morning. Keeps booting me off then showing the server as offline for a while afterwards. Will try again in a bit!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
I probably won't get back on today so Fazana Transport is up for grabs, it's making around £40m a year.

That's significantly behind the Axis of Evil pairing of Auzdark+Vier which is running at £70m+. To reinforce their disgraceful behaviour as soon as they took the lead they employed the WML otherwise known as hovercraft to ensure their reign of terror wouldn't be toppled :argh:

(Weapons of Mass Lag)

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Server glitch this morning hosed/removed the passwords which resulted in all companies being open to hostile takeovers.

Tunnel and Bridge signalling was playing up quite a bit on this map sadly, I ended up deleting the tunnels I was using and remaking with bridges back to their old shorter ways. Strangest part is they would happily work without issue for ages then you'd suddenly notice an empty track and sure enough, a pile of trains either waiting to go in or stuck at the end of a tunnel.

Copy/paste is pretty great though!

Ramble inc... :corsair:

If you are looking for new reset ideas, maybe try one with much higher track etc building costs? Seeing the double mainlines springing up across the map within the first 30 mins most resets isn't making for a lot of variety when it's not a co-op map. Maybe a smaller map or even give some of the heightmaps a go? There's some nifty :britain: and :eurovision: maps, presume there's a :911: one for the further afield. Wouldn't mind seeing ECS again sometime, that was different, building up the output by serving the industry more and more. Cheers for the time you do spend on this lessthanthree, do you pay for the hosting or you have a pc sat on a network that runs it?

NewGRFs I'd love to see (which now I read back appear to mostly be for lazy bastards :v:) :

Convert Normal/Electric networks to Monorail to Maglev, make it shut everything down for 12 months (whatever length for balance) and cost out the arse but an option to do that would be nice.

Similar to engine replacement etc, some kind of interface that would let you call in trains and automagically add/remove wagons. Again charge out the arse for the convenience etc. I tend to start off with smaller train lengths just to get stuff chugging around but by the time I've upgraded engines and have some coins, I cba to manually call in 37/whatever trains into the depot and click away on the wagons.

I agree with Vier somewhat (sorry!) about Hovercraft, maybe let them come onland within 3 tiles of water. I'm sure it would be easily abused with canals but people cleverer than I may be able to make it work.

Edit : Tidied the wording up.

Fazana fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 4, 2011

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

piratepilates posted:

1. I have no idea what you're trying to say

2. Pretty sure you can do this through shared orders and telling trains to go to a depot

edit: Also, people, always use buoys for boats, use plenty of them and add the orders for the way there AND the way back.

1 - Conversion of railtypes, not putting in the word rails did make it rather meaningless admittedly. If you currently want to upgrade from normal or electric rails you either close everything down and take a ton of time to copy orders etc over or just don't bother atm. I know it would be a coding nightmare but hey, coders love coding right?

2 - So if you have a set of say 20 trains all with 5 coal wagons, you can already tell them to go in as a one off and 2 more coal wagons each? E.g. you just upgraded from a lower end steam engine to a 47 Diesel etc so you want to add a few more wagons to each train from that point on?

As for the last part, the one time I used boats a few maps ago I know I didn't do the second part, used buoys all the way there but not on the way back, doh! Will remember if I ever use those lagmonsters again. As for it not being possible to do have proper hovercraft, was just a thought!

Fazana fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Sep 4, 2011

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
Have you been keeping the maps from the end of games still lessthanthree? We spoke about them ingame recently but I think I was disconnected and then distracted by a passing butterfly or something and forgot about it again. Would be interesting to see what networks were going etc, or even save games if they are still kicking around anywhere?

Did you handmake the map in the latest reset?

If you want a few $$ towards hosting just shout up, I've played it more in the last few weeks than I played any of the last few mmo's I subbed to!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor
*logs in to check how things are running*

Hmm, the station UI is showing a lot of tram stations full of cargo?! I wonder why that is, I have plenty of trams running arou...

You monster.

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Karthe posted:

Can I redirect goods from a truck depot to a train station? When the one truck depot near a factory ended up with 700+ crates of goods, I built a train station that was intended to carry the goods en masse to another city. Unfortunately, the truck depot continued to receive the bulk of the factory's output so I couldn't make a dent in the number of crates.

I had this exact same problem a couple of maps ago when I accidentally once used the wrong station to pick up something and that was it, drat thing never stopped making more. I was at max station spread already from having two separate sets of platforms for pickup and dropoff and destroying the station and rebuilding didn't fix it. I ended up making a small road with a truck stop at each end and just using transfer orders on a couple of trucks to mindlessly chug the cargo 5 blocks to the new station I had built to move those goods elsewhere.

Really enjoyed the settings on this map, the variety of industries and chains made it interesting to match stuff up. I had a mainline that ended up serving a 4 step chain that bounced from one end to the other with each step for maximum coinage. Thanks to Dreds info ingame I'll know next time to spread around the engineering supplies to the mines and watch the output double if not triple!

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

less than three posted:

NO TREES
The maps never start with trees. Quit planting them, jerk.

To be fair to both sides, when I was looking up info on tree's for when I was thinking about starting a single player game, I don't believe atm you can turn off tree growth. As you said you can start with none at all on the map but it appears to be hardcoded for tree's to gradually grow in as the years go by.

I could have misread it but I believe that's where they are coming from and lets face it, the average OpenTTD hooligan seems to only understand the land raising and lowering buttons, planting trees for long term griefing is way off their radar. :v:

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

From Earth posted:

Dear OpenTTD thread, what the hell is this crap?

Both trains have been converted to Engineering Supplies, and both just sit there, ignoring all the loving Engineering Supplier they're supposed to load. :mad:

At risk of you shouting in return, are you 100% sure you refitted them to engineering supplies? Those wagons look more like the coal/ore type wagons and on the map before this one my engineering supply wagons were the flatbed type. Just double checking...

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

Moakley posted:

I just picked this game up a week or so ago and everything is sunshine and lollipops... except for planes. For some reason every plane I make crashes within the first 3 runs. I looked up planes on the wiki and followed the instructions.

They are small planes so that means only 0.07% chance of crash. I'm getting 100% and I am at a complete loss.

Has anybody run across this before? How might I fix this?

In amongst the plane abuse in the post above this one is a nugget of truth, did you download the version in the OP? There's a bug in this code branch which makes planes do pretty much exactly what you say, 0.07% becomes more like 99.93% so the only solution for now is to turn off plane crashes in the options.

If you are however using a version from the official site then I would highly recommend no-one ever gets on a real plane with you...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

piratepilates posted:

I did just realize that Cities in Motion exists and they're making a sequel but I haven't played those, oops

I haven't played the sequel but I do own the first game and frankly you didn't miss much. It just wasn't fun and although it might be fixed by now out of the box it was fairly broken on far too many of the essential game mechanics. OpenTTD still hasn't been beaten that I'm aware of for it's scale, scope and outright fun in the genre.

• Locked thread