Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

I've been playing OpenTTD by myself for about four or five years now, and I have a few favorite NewGRFs, such as HEQS (Heavy Equipment Set), Industrial Stations Renewal, North American Road Vehicle Set, the US and UK Railway sets, and the ECS. I was wondering what other people enjoy and would recommend I try out, or just your thoughts on your favorite NewGRFs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Drone posted:

Dumb question, but if I build a station in the wrong location accidentally, and then delete it, is there any way to get rid of the grey station name sign that remains? I can't for the life of me figure this out, and those ugly grey signs are giving my OCD a tickle.

Another helpful hint: If you hold down CTRL while placing a station element you can select whether you want it to be a part of a nearby station or a new station. If you decide you want to move your station several tiles away (like 10 or so), you can build the new part using this method, then use the station removal tool (for rail) or bulldoze (for anything else) to remove the old, unwanted portion.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

How about for the next map we play on a heightmap? Here's some of my favorites, and I think we could have some fun with these.

An alien world:

The Amazonian river basin:

The Congo river basin:

The continental USA:

Europe:

Siberia:

The Black Sea:

The Caspian Sea:

The world:

And the UK and channel:

Anyone else interested in some heightmap action?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Silento Boborachi posted:

Is that the map from Alpha Centauri? I guess mars mode does have a purpose

Why, yes it is!

Also, last night, I forget who I told this tip because my memory's kind of poo poo, but I figured I'd share it with the rest of you in case you folks don't know.

When you clone a train, truck, or any other vehicle, if you hold down CTRL as you press the Clone Vehicle button, the new vehicle and the original will now have Shared Orders. If you then edit the orders of one it will affect the other. This is very useful for managing large fleets of vehicles that have the same routes. If you tweak the route later on, you only have to edit one of the vehicles that shares the orders.

This was especially useful for me when I added a waypoint station to my highway network.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ChubbyPitbull posted:

Yeah, I do the same thing! What killed me was over-saturation of the line and poor design. One-way track setups seem to be mandatory once multiple trains are involved; I had been lazily doing two-ways with sidings and detours, but it was only a matter of time before 2 coming one way met two coming the other way and clogged the line forever.

That's exactly what happened to your company last night. My truck drivers had excellent views of your train engineers leaning out of their cabs and yelling at each other with very colorful language.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ChubbyPitbull posted:

I thought it would be cool to build a public-use interstate highway system; so far I'm linking up all the cities in the Southeastern united states. So if someone wants to give bus/trucking transportation a try, use the highway! Before the map resets and I have to build it all over again.

Looks like you liked my autobahn so much you decided to bring it over to the states!

I'm not gonna partake in the US map, for some reason this heightmap seems to rub me the wrong way. But it's fun to pop in and take a look from time to time!

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Zeether posted:

Also, most unfortunately named city ever:

Salo? I don't get it..

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Fintilgin posted:

It's alright. I started my new game in 1836. I can't even build trains yet.

I'm playing SimBoat instead. :getin:

What GRF are sandbanks in, and what are their industrial uses?

e: VVVV Huh. I must be using an older version -- they're called Fishing Grounds and are basically just a fishing boat permanently at sea.

Neurion fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Sep 1, 2014

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

The Casualty posted:

Hmm, this might be a stretch considering the thread seems inactive, but maybe someone can help me out. I'm just playing a solo game since I find OpenTTD a good, therapeutic time sink, but I've never been all that great at designing good junctions or station layouts. I want to turn this station into a RoRo because trains leaving the depots constantly create traffic jams.

The lines coming from the north and west are supplying wheat and livestock, the line heading east is taking the processed food to a town, and the small feeder line going through Waypoint Fetchester is for a valuables train which is just sharing the tracks.

Any pointers? The two southernmost tracks never really run into problems because they're only used by a couple of trains, but the four other tracks have to be unjammed every couple of months because I have many trains and they have to come out the same way they came in. Money is no object at this point in the game so I'm willing to do whatever it takes.

I'd convert the northern line from what looks like a single track w/ right of ways to dedicated double tracks, and probably do the same with the western line as well. Have trains leave at the opposite end of the station and drain back out to the west-bound and north-bound lines.

Usually when I have terminus stations I want to be sort of compact RoRo, I use a design similar to this, from the OpenTTD manual wiki:

I'd have my wheat/livestock coming in to the station and then have a separate east-facing section of the station for the outgoing food, unconnected to the inbound rail. I usually have no more than 6 bays for the incoming and 4 for the outgoing.

Edit: less than three's is more elegant and looks nicer, though.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Man oh man, I'm getting the hankering to start playing again. I'll have to redownload OTTD once I get my new PC assembled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Drone posted:

Man I want to believe that trams are worth it in OpenTTD. I love playing with them, but the massive downside of only having on-road stations clogging traffic means I can never make them viable for anything other than small towns.

Use on-road bus/truck stations as waypoints to route your road traffic so it doesn't share the road with trams. Or use one-way/no-passing roads to restrict their movement.

• Locked thread