Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Gaz-L posted:

"Best in the world, except for Hiroshi Tanahashi" doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. Plus the 2.9 million people at home going "Hiro-who?"

Instead of "Colt Ca-who?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

njsykora posted:

Keep Darren Young because if they fire the guy within a year of coming out the bad PR would be loving brutal. He's like Miz in that he can stick around forever, not do anything major and just be a PR guy. He's better than Miz though.

Darren's probably going to get a push as he was nominated for a GLAAD award coming up in April. Vince even tweeted about it.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Static Rook posted:

I think it just ended up being Hornswaggle. That's what I've read here, wasn't watching at the time (thank god).

They revealed it after just kinda abandoning the angle for almost a year as well.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Tornhelm posted:

When he toured with Bon Jovi he was pretty entertaining. I know a lot of people who liked him as much as they liked the main show.

That's not hard, a colonoscopy could open for Bon Jovi and people would find it a preferable experience.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Writer Cath posted:

Wait a minute.

Seth Rollins didn't just bleach the tips, he did a whole section of his hair, root to tip.

He's a flippy dude who wrestles in long pants and a shirt, not unlike the Hardy Boyz.

He comes through the crowd, not unlike a certain brooding Canadian guy did during his debut.

Is Seth Rollins Peak 90s?

He was originally a metalcore dude in FCW, right?

Peak 2004.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I honestly can't imagine anyone who leaves their house on a regular basis having heard much about "Male Rights Activists", let alone sympathizing with their cause seeing as though they appear to be a political group consisting entirely of 25 reddit troglodytes yelling into a social media echo chamber.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I think it depends on where you live - if you're in a large city there's probably an organized group somewhere and they occasionally have protests and poo poo. Lots of intersection between that community and the PUA (Pacific Underwater Adventures) community

I live in Seattle where almost every cause imaginable seems to have a political group and organizes protests on a regular basis and I have never heard of anything about any men's rights nonsense outside of the internet.

By an extension of that logic, I would expect Shawn Michaels to have never heard of some fringe internet cult when he was naming his hunting show.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
It's also why nobody hashtags #wcw with pictures of Scott Norton.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Tupac Sighting posted:

i expect bayley to get called up soon

Can they give her a new gimmick? She's good in-ring but her whole schtick is annoying and is basically interchangeable with Emma.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Flameingblack posted:

Oh and that werewolf lad from the Nexus is around somewhere too I guess.

Daniel Bryan doesn't do flips though.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Fair enough.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Shima Honnou posted:

Actually Batista, people give you poo poo because you tend to walk around looking like this in public.

Via Facebook:

It's cool that you posted a picture of three people and Batista looks like the least douchiest one in it.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

flashy_mcflash posted:

You should at least mention that you heard this from Konnan so we know the approximate size of the grain of salt we should take this with.

I know that re-evaluating the social aspects of what is okay and what is legitimately offensive in wrestling and society in general is an ongoing and evolving process but the actual amount of legitimately horrible poo poo that Konnan gets away with saying in 2014 is loving stunning.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Evil Badman posted:

Beard confirmed.

"Respect the Beard"

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Thauros posted:

Actually the offer magically evaporated after the third or fourth time Jay was that dumb. He had a history of making homophobic remarks, one of which I felt was worse than the one that got him into trouble when he was champ last year. HE was a heel at the time and people were hoping he was just playing a rear end in a top hat homophobe rather than actually being one though.

While both are super lovely, why is it that Jay Briscoe gets all this poo poo for posting homophobic slurs on his twitter while Silas Young says that poo poo on the ROH TV show and PPVs and noone cares?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

MassRafTer posted:

Because he's a heel people are supposed to hate and pay to see beat up and he's never said anything close to as awful as what Jay said last year. There's a difference between a Men's Rights Activist and Jay being a homophobic poo poo.

There's definitely a difference but I'm not sure it's a better one in the end. Jay is saying homophobic poo poo on his own twitter, meanwhile the heel character of Silas Young is saying homophobic poo poo and that has to get past bookers, script writers, executives, etc. Young as a "real man-rear end in a top hat" type character doesn't really bug me and I like the dude in the ring but the fact that homophobia is being used as an element in a pro wrestling show here in 2014 really sits as a lovely thing and bugs me a great deal more than a redneck dude saying redneck poo poo on his off-time.

Anyway, whatever, your mileage may vary.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

MassRafTer posted:

No, he's just not sure if one is better than the other.

I feel there may be some subtle and important distinctions between casual homophobia and literally being a member of a 1940s political party responsible for the extermination of millions of people that are being missed here.

Edit: That being said, if someone showed up on any rassling show tomorrow with a white power or historical nazi gimmick, people would be justifiably furious.

Angular Landbury fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Jun 6, 2014

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Solomonic posted:

I remember IWS had a neo-nazi tag team called the Angry Aryans, Damien & Viking. Damien was the more charismatic of the two and was willing to do a bunch of insane stiff indy headdrop poo poo, so people appreciated him despite the team's characters. Eventually, they broke up and started feuding, and the crowds rallied hardcore behind Damien, whose character was explicitly still a neo-nazi. He'd come out to a Landser song, march to the ring with a sieg heil in the air, and get thunderous cheers.

Maybe Canadians are more chill about that kind of thing.

Yeah, possibly that + just being a smarky indie crowd thst are open to such things? That's loving bizarre though.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

skaboomizzy posted:

There's a pretty wide gulf between "act like a man and fight me, the most manly man who ever manned" and repeated comments about dick-sucking.

I don't mind the manly man stuff, it's just the "Men shouldn't kiss other men!" statement he made a while back and the calling opponents "fruits" that got at me. It just seems to be a less vulgar version of the same sentiment Jay was making GBS threads up the internet with.

Anyway, whatever. This conversation went full nazi really loving quickly and that's probably a good indication to stop it.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Gavok posted:

In reality, Fandango only kind of likes triangles.

Also: Only some people are talking about his tight vest, his tight vest.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Burt Buckle posted:

Can somebody translate those two Dusty tweets?

Just read it in his voice. It won't make it more understandable but it's fun.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

GAYMIEN SANDOW posted:

All Snow's finisher was called the Snow Plow which is a good name for a finisher if your name is Al Snow. What other good things can we say about Al Snow?

His music started with the phrase "WHAT DOES EVERYBODY WANT???" which was amazing because the answer was clearly "3 minute matches on Sunday Night Heat".

Angular Landbury fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Jul 13, 2014

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Gaz-L posted:

I think people are being confused by the wording in the news items and such.

There's gonna be 3 pricepoints.

6 month commitment, $9.99 per mth
No commitment, $19.99 per mth
6 month package, $60 up front. (or $59.93 or whatever.)

No man, it's gonna be $9.99. They said it on RAW. Nine Ninety Nine.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
I didn't cancel my network subscription but my friend Mark did.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

KungFu Grip posted:

Is that dril

Twitter would make a lot of sense if @dril was actually Scott Hall.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
There's also the issue that all talent is basically forced to start a Twitter account, so you have hilariously empty ones like Ambrose and Lesnar's accounts, Professional ones like Cena's and then you get the whiny ones, the loving crazy ones (ahem Ryback) and then suddenly you have dudes committing career suicide on a Wednesday afternoon.

Then you have the COO of the company cut a smarky promo one the first ten minutes of RAW and basically give the whole roster the idea hat this is what you need to do to get over.

WWE should probably be investing more in media training and less in building this weird "Break Kayfabe but Not Too Much" culture.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

I wish Ambrose would tweet. It'd be something else.

Based on his interview on Art of Wrestling it seems like genuinely doesn't like social media or the IWC in general so I can't really blame him for not wanting to be involved.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
The most beautiful thing about the IWC is its obsession with obsessively examining and dissecting Ryback tweets like they're House of Leaves.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

TheJoker138 posted:

He played "Boring Lance Storm" to perfection.

Hey now, it has been very well established that Lance Storm was a Thrillseeker.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

NienNunb posted:

Libraries suck gently caress books

Will somebody who's good with the Dewey Decimal System tell me where libraries keep the Suck gently caress Books?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Bigass Moth posted:

Not really? He's not particularly great in the ring and he's shameful on the mic.

The WWE has this idea that big dudes are allowed to be

a) Silent stoic warriors

b) Idiot goofball giants

Big E has crazy Rock charisma and doesn't fall into either category but I'm glad they've slotted him into the former over the latter.

And he's fun as hell to watch in the ring.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Cena's the same as Orton. Two dudes the company's been directly built on for a decade or more, locked into multi year multi million dollar contracts that make them unlikely to be used to elevate midcard dudes and due to age and injuries will likely be retiring sooner rather than later. I hate the fact we constantly get the two of them over and over again at the expense of everything else but I also kinda get why WWE constantly want to get a couple more kicks before the horse stops twitching.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

And then Baron made a face, Stew.

He slammed Del Boy through the bar, Stew. He was vertical, and then he became horizontal.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Do Rock and the Undertaker shop at the same store?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.
Strike that. Undertaker, the Rock and now Titus all shop at the same store.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Daniel Bryan posted:

#JoinTheForce

AAA are affiliated with Jeff Wrestling already, I thought?

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Onmi posted:

It's so sickening to hear Jim Cornette suck up to the WWE by claiming that Cena was a hard worker who was a dream to have.

Is there anything to indicate that he wasn't? I get the impression that Cena will do literally anything his bosses tell him to. Cornette only hates suck ups when they suck up to people who aren't him.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

This is amazing. I cannot loving comprehend the design process thst went into this.

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Lance Storm attempts humor.

Oh good Lance Storm likes Douglas Adams books, that'll help his "boring weirdo" reputation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Landbury
Oct 24, 2011

MAGGLE.

D Bry going to UFC.