Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

I'm going to catch a ton of flak from some people for saying this, but the 2011 Fright Night is a better movie than the original. I enjoy the original one, its very much an eighties-tastic film full of camp and fun and some quality makeup effects, but as much fun as it is I find it almost too campy and colorful (an endemic issue with a lot of 80s films) to be as enjoyable as it could be for me.

Is this new one a slightly darker version? A bit, but they really captured the spirit of the original. It's creepy, but not necessarily scary, and just plain a lot of fun. It's got its share of funny moments and the setting is pulled off quite well. It loses a lot of the camp, but retains the fun in my opinion. I also really liked all of the characters, there isn't a bad performance among them. Everyone holds their own and seems to be enjoying the ride, for what its worth David Tennant (Dr Who) is really good. I actually got attached to our main set and when Jerry steals our hero's girlfriend it actually tugged at my heart strings a bit.

It basically follows the same plot progression of the original film with a few tweaks and the final confrontation is genuinely a lot more dangerous seeming than the original's, so if you've seen or are a fan of the original you'll basically know how it goes. I went in expecting it to be not very good and to have missed the point entirely. Instead what I got was a truly fun film that caught all of the best parts of the original without the things I don't much care for. Many of you might be skeptical, but it's worth seeing if you enjoyed the original, you'll definitely enjoy this one.

I don't have many complaints, but there are a few worth noting. I saw this in 2d, but I guess it was made for 3d in some fashion and its got a lot of angles, shots and scenes that you could tell were intended to be "WOW THATS 3D" moments. I didn't care for that in Friday the 13th Part 3D from 20 years ago and im not much impressed by that technique now. It doesn't detract from the film, but you will notice that. Secondarily, I'm not sure if it was the projector/theater I saw the film at, but almost all the dark interior shots looked like the room was full of fog or smoke, it was just hazy/grainy. The daylight shots and the outdoor shots don't have this problem so I don't really know what to make of it. Neither of those things really hurt the film, but they did bug me a bit throughout.

On the whole if you liked the original I'd give this a 5/5. I was very impressed, if you've never seen the original, it's still a 4/5 in my book. Its well executed, and just plain fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:
I haven't seen the original but I loved this one. The casting was perfect, except for maybe the main lead, with Farrel and Tennant playing their parts perfectly. I really hope the spin off movie happens. I had to see it in 3D, and it was completely unnecessary and I can't think of a single scene where it was actually cool. This is my favourite vampire movie in a long time. Lots of fun, 5/5 for me.

lynch_69
Jan 21, 2001

Forgettable, inoffensive pablum that kept me entertained for an hour and a half. Never saw the original Fright Night, don't care how this remake relates to it. Nothing stands out in this movie; it's not particularly funny, not very scary, gory or sexy - but had enough of each to keep me mildly interested all the way through. I was extremely surprised to see this was rated R; everything about the 2011 Fright Night screams PG-13, which is not necessarily a bad thing in a movie like this.

I'm sure this Fright Night remake has a million plot holes, but who cares - the story keeps ticking along. I really liked Colin Farrell as Jerry and thought he displayed just the right amount of charm and charisma to be the head vampire. Seeing McLovin in this was a nice surprise. David Tennant was great as the comic relief, although his character's back story was lazy and tacked-on. Some of the vampire effects were a little wonky - I don't know if this was an homage to the original Fright Night or not, but Colin Farrell's vampire make-up during the car chase sequence was goofy as hell and made it look like he had Down's Syndrome. The aforementioned car chase sequence was done in one continuous take, just like in Children of Men - I realize this is nothing original or amazing, but I appreciated it all the same.

The 2011 Fright Night won't leave any lasting impressions and is thoroughly forgettable in every way, but I enjoyed it for what it was. This is the perfect movie to randomly catch on TV while flipping channels.

3/5

lynch_69 fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Nov 28, 2011