Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Vorgen posted:

Ummm, there's been a... development. Good news and bad news really. The good news is that the final encounter with Sarevok has been modded. The bad news is that most everybody is dead now.

Good lord, the results should be entertaining at least.

He still has just a normal 6 man party, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

I wouldn't be entirely averse to having nearly everyone dead. Wipe the slate clean, so to speak. Just so long as Imoen sticks around I guess, but even then.

Shei-kun
Dec 2, 2011

Screw you, physics!

Arcade Rabbit posted:

I wouldn't be entirely averse to having nearly everyone dead. Wipe the slate clean, so to speak. Just so long as Imoen sticks around I guess, but even then.
Imoen's plot important, so we can totally justify her 'revival'.

But once that's over, I don't think there'll be any mercy. Just gibs.

Gibs everywhere. As far as the eye can see, and beyond. So many gibs it fills multiple planes of existence.

And creates a new demiplane.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Holy poo poo did the deserters make the right call.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
:getin:

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

quote:

The Lord of Murder shall perish. But in his death he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sown from their passing. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

stille
Oct 9, 2012
I can only imagine Syv getting haunted by doppelgangers through most of BG2

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Did every mage under AI control threw a fireball at Sarevock as soon as he saw him? One of the random effects from Syv's spells was Chaos? So many possibilities :allears:

(IIRC Vorgen only controlled 6 guys, right?)

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:33 on May 6, 2014

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

Fat Samurai posted:

(IIRC Vorgen only controlled 6 guys, right?)

Yes, I can only control 6 guys still.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
This will shave down the number of romances in BG2, if you're looking for a silver lining. Imoen, Kivan, Edwin, Viconia, and Gavin all stand on the chopping block.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

13 Nightal, 1370a

As I approach the gate of the old temple, a new feeling flows over me. The Weave is there, but something else too. It reminds me of the times I heal my friends, and the times my Divine Wrath flows out of me. The two types of feelings are two types of energy, and they thrum together in my mind, beating against and with each other. I see reality crack and flake, and again I begin to see the great Tree of Life with its infinite branches and leaves splayed out before me. I follow not one path, but dozens, hundreds - an infinite number. There is no limit to the branches on this tree. I plunge down one; I step forward and open the old temple door.

After we enter, Xan addresses me.

*Xan leans in to kiss you, his fingers resting lightly behind your ears, and his lips barely touching yours.* You are with me, alive and well. That is all that matters to me now. And, perhaps, forever more.

I walk to the center of the room.

It looks like my dear brother has given me half of the room to work with. Well, lets get started.

I return to Shaundakul's Sanctuary, to the assembled Golden Company.

It's time to set ourselves up. I grab the first group - the room can only teleport 6 at a time - and get ready to get into position.

Then it is back to get the second load.

In just two trips, the back row is assembled.

Next, I pick up a load of clerics.

Gavin seems quite inspired by the temple, and this whole confrontation.

What was that flickering across Gavin's face just now? Was it doubt? Indecision? No matter. All will be decided soon.

I space the clerics out evenly in a second row.

But Gavin suddenly seems to have second thoughts. He doesn't seem to want to play along with the plan.

You're actually asking me to wait here? Are you mad?

Gameplay note: Apparently the modder coded in a don't-leave-Gavin-in-a-lovely-dungeon-forever dialogue clause. I can't see any way to keep him here, even with cheat codes. There's no option for "just hold on this will all make sense in a moment." I'm going to have to let him go.

You'll make it, Gavin. Once you're out, go to the safe haven of your choice and I'll meet you there.

If you say so... I'll make for the Elfsong, then. If I'm in luck, maybe Jolun will be in town.

A pity about Gavin. But we can do without him. A few more trips, and the entire Golden Company is assembled.

And so it begins. We cast our protections.

Then, I step boldly into the center of my dread Father's sigil. I dare Sarevok to come forth.

He does.

By what right do you claim ownership of this new era? What if I intend to take it from you?

You would seek to take my destiny? It is truly divine arrogance you display! You have not the skill or knowledge to steal this future! It was years in the making while you sat cloistered in a foolish library! Simple wars spill countless waves of blood and no godly wrath is raised. It is but my will that will shape the screams of the dying into the power I seek! You could no more assume my role, than I could back away from it! It is fitting though that you should try, and an ample testament to our bloodline. Face me! Face the new LORD OF MURDER! Angelo! Tazok! Reveal yourselves and let's finish this now!

Yes, let's finish this, dear brother.

A burst of magic from behind him almost blinds me to Sarevok's charge. I try to get some Chaos Blades going, but no dice.

Black Bear and Minsc teleport in behind Sarevok, their boots giving them the drop on him. They tear into his back with a jubilant cry and/or a frenzy.

Xan and Kagain join in the fray, and Sarevok attacks Xan first!

I shout some orders, most of them being "Xan, get away from there!" But it is too late. Sarevok cuts him down like wheat. And Semaj appears.

I remember that I have the Belt of Cognizance that changes me into a woman when Sarevok calls me sister.

Our dead father's strength suffuses these walls! Here I was to perform the rituals that would make me a god, and here I have already mastered power beyond your puny imaginings. What I began with Zhalimar and the others whom you struck down in Reiltar's mansion, I have now completed.

These four are my acolytes, the first of my worshippers. While we are within this place, their souls are bound to our father's taint within me. Their power suffuses me, protects me from all harm. It is but a taste of what I shall wield when I ascend, but for now it is more than sufficient to end this little family quarrel.

Goodbye, Syvishtar. I shall not allow your death to be swift.

Then Bjornin steps up. He casts Protection from Evil on Imoen. I have never been so grateful to a paladin before. Kivan calls in a wyvern. Tazok appears in front of Sarevok. I call in an elemental. Imoen casts Dispel magic on Semaj.

And Semaj... Semaj casts Chaos.

Kivan sees Tazok, and shouts.

Heh. My small folk will have an elf-head to play with tonight!

I will cast you into the Abyss where you belong!

Imoen's Dispel Magic reaches Semaj at the same time Kagain does with his Axe of Dispelling Fire. And also when Black Bear teleports in behind Semaj's back.

Finch is confused and is attacking Kagain.

Most of the Golden Company has not yet started to react, except for Firebead. He's busy casting up a storm.

We have to take out all of Sarevok's followers before we can damage him, so I focus on taking out the mage, Semaj, with some Random Missiles.

Kivan shoots Tazok down, and he falls. Sarevok notices, and taunts me about it.

Then in a column of flame, Tazok's corpse arises as a skeleton warrior!

Kagain completes his mission, and Semaj dies.

I realize that Finch is confused, and Dispel that off of her.

The rest of the Golden Company isn't attacking. Why aren't they attacking?

Semaj's body also rises as a skeleton warrior!

Finch retreats into the Golden Company's lines and drinks a healing potion. The skeleton warrior follows her.

The skeleton warrior is RIGHT THERE in their lines! Why don't they do something about it??

I shout at the rest of the Golden Company to attack. But they just stand there.

Then I hear a shout behind me. Minsc's battle cry. I whirl around to see his sword raised... against me! WHAT IS THIS?!

In shock and confusion, I move to stand next to Kivan, but Minsc and Sarevok double-team me. Their swords jointly slice into my flesh.

This is betrayal! Mutiny! I only have one option - Summon Wild Horde!

As Sarevok and Minsc focus on the bunnies, I retreat and drink healing potions. Kivan and Imoen focus on taking out Diarmid.

I don't know what to do about this. Why is Minsc attacking me? Is he berserk?

Imoen seems to get confused and falls unconscious. I didn't see where the magic came from. There's so much going on, I have to focus.

Kivan still manages to take out Diarmid alone.

Semaj, Tazok, Diarmid... who's left? Sarevok mentioned four!

Oh. Angelo.

Finch is running scared.

So is Kagain.

The rabbits start exploding, injuring Golden Company members.

They seem to blame ME for it!!

Angelo somehow kills Kivan in the aftermath.

Angelo also kills a confused and wandering Imoen with a point-blank Fireball.

To my ultimate horror, I am penned in and surrounded by a group of angry Golden Company mutineers! I can do nothing but disappear.

In the far corner of the room, Faldorn and Xavia fight against Finch. This is insanity!

Dynaheir? Edwin? Indira?! Why are you all turning against us?!

With me invisible, they all go for a blind Kagain.

Was this... was this planned? Is this the reason why they didn't fight in the beginning?

Angelo steps in amongst the golden company fighting and executes Finch with a Lightning Bolt spell.

The others stand by and do nothing. This... this is unacceptable!

I cast Melf's Explosive Meteors.

I throw the first one at the traitorous Skeezer Lumpin IV.

The second, third... fifth. All go into the crowd of traitors.

I become surrounded by some stragglers. I cast a Cloudkill at my feet. See how they like it.

I back up to draw those around me into a cone shape. Then, my Cone of Cold freezes Bjornin into a lifeless statue of ice.

As Bjornin shatters into a million chunks, I cast Fire Shield Red and Fire Shield Blue upon me. See them fight me now!

Trait'rous Alora heals me with her death. I snarl as I rip the remaining life out of her tiny body. How dare she!

I go searching for the last enemy, Angelo, but all I see are useless Golden Company lumps standing around.

Yeslick, Squirrel, and some spiders come after me, working together.

I simply teleport to the other side of the room, where I find Angelo trying to kill Kagain.

I just start casting random spells into the crowd.

I start to become overwhelmed by Yeslick and the sword spiders, who catch up to me. So I drink a potion of invisibility and get away.

They all join the Kill Kagain Squad.

I try to burn them all, but the Weave turns me into a wolf instead.

So I run. Faldorn chases me.

I still have blades available from a Blade Shower spell I activated previously, so I throw some at her. She dies.

I do the same for the Sword Spider coming after me. It looks hurt.

I give it a taste of my Divine Wrath too.

Meanwhile, the Kill Kagain Party is thinning.

I'm not so good as a wolf, but I eventually manage to kill the Sword Spider with tooth and claw.

I can't cast spells as a wolf, but I can drink potions. So I do. Potion of Power, Potion of Regeneration, Potion of Stone Form, Oil of Speed, and finally Potion of Invisibility... I take them all.

Then I go and deliver 12 potions of Super Healing to a hurting Kagain, who just ran out.

I wait, watching the battle, until I turn back into an elf. Then, when I do, I bring down hot, fiery death upon us all.

INFERNAL COMBUSTION ENIGMA!

Then I focus fire on Angelo. I gotta bring that guy down!

Volley after volley of magic missiles go into him, until he triggers his contingency.

I cast Minute Meteors and wait for him to reappear, then pepper him with them as fast as my arms will go.

Then I continue to pepper him with random spells, most backfiring, until I get off another Infernal Combusion Enigma.

He is near death!

I cast a random spell into the mix, but it is Invisibility Sphere. All of my enemies disappear.

I cast Detect Invisibility and realize that everybody is now coming after me.

I run around in a loop until my friends meet my enemies.

I recklessly reach for a spare Magic Missile spell, but fail to cast it. Instead, the Weave gives me a cow.

I notice Angelo has more mirror images around him, so I Detect Illusion. They disappear.

That gives Kagain the opening he needs, and he cuts Angelo down.

For the first time, Sarevok starts to doubt himself.

But I am being hounded by both Yeslick and Ferthgil Trollslayer. I should never have brought these guys. I drink another Potion of Invisibility to get them off my back.

Then, I walk to the other side of the room, and do what I do best. I cast Cacofiend.

The spell goes off without a hitch.

The Cornugon that comes this time almost looks familiar. Do I summon the same one each time? Should I introduce myself?

Should I make him an honorary member of the Golden Company?

I drink another Potion of Invisibility and sit back to watch what happens.

The Cornugon kills the paladin first. Figures.

The Cornugon chases down a frightened Yeslick next. I glance and see that Kagain has almost killed Sarevok!

I call him off and move in with my own sword. I want to get the killing blow! But, it is not enough. Sarevok chases after Kagain, and Kagain defends himself.

No! How... can this be? HOW CAN THIS BE?

Sarevok falls to the floor, and something strange happens to his body. Something I've only seen in fevered dreams of my own death, before. Something... singular.

I realize something then.

And I take a look around me. To my right is a hostile, frightened Mulgore fighting a demon single-handedly. If either wins, he'll come after me next. To my left are two skeleton warriors, Ferthgil Trollslayer, Yeslick, Squirrel, and Jet'Laya, all gunning for Kagain. If they take him out, they'll come for me next.

I walk towards the exit. I see Firebead Elvenhair, Coran, Safana - all ready to attack me.

They have all betrayed me in the end. Why? After everything I've done for them, they have all turned against me. Except for the ones that didn't come. Did they choose not to come because they were not on board with the betrayal? Maybe they're not so bad, choosing to sit it out instead of attack their commander.

As Firebead begins to raise magic against me, mine own childhood mentor directing the Weave at me, AT ME, I stoop down and pick up Xan's moonblade.

Then I call Kagain to my side. We're leaving. Let the Cornugon do as it wills with this nest of vipers.

After I leave the temple, I pause, listening to the screams of the dying inside.

Should I feel regret? I hear Squirrel's death squeak.

Should I feel pain? The dwarf that I saved from the depths of the Underdark shouts out his death's cry.

And then... then Firebead does the impossible. He kills the demon.

So... so they're going to be okay. Some of my former friends will live. Just not in the Golden Company. And not anywhere near me.

I'm leaving this viper's nest of traitors. And I'm not looking back.

Gameplay note: This is the first possible ending, Ending A, aka Ultimate betrayal. This is one of multiple possible endings that you will have a chance to vote on, after all endings are played out. Syvishtar has been betrayed by almost all of the members of the Golden Company and in turn has killed most of them in Bhaal's Temple. The consequences of this act will be far-reaching and pivotal to his character growth. Fear it, or embrace it.

In the end, Syvishtar divided all of his former companions into several categories, and will treat them as such if he runs into them again:

Final loyal Golden Company members: Kagain, Xan, Kivan, Imoen, Finch, Lady Seafoam Wonderbounce.

Final absentee Golden Company members of questionable remaining loyalty: Jaheira, Khalid, Mur'Neth, Rose, Bub Snikt, Quayle, Garrick, Gavin.

Final dead ex-Golden Company Mutineers (and good riddance): Minsc, Squirrel, Edwin, Alora, Viconia, Black Bear, Jet'Laya, Dynaheir, Coran, Branwen, Indira, Keiria, Mulgore, Xavia, Ferthgil, Will Scarlet, Bjornin, Xzar, Skeezer Lumpkin IV, Thorfinn, Conchobhair, Faldorn

Final Living ex-Golden Company Mutineers (who are dead to him): Yeslick, Firebead Elvenhair, Safana. (I went back in and checked)

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Feb 17, 2015

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
That is... glorious.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
That was equal measures :staredog: and :munch:. All I can say is... what the gently caress happened there? Was it the chaos spell? Did the characters have their AI scripts turned off? Because that made for a nice twist ending, but it would be a shame if all of them turned out the same way.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Pizdec posted:

That was equal measures :staredog: and :munch:. All I can say is... what the gently caress happened there? Was it the chaos spell? Did the characters have their AI scripts turned off? Because that made for a nice twist ending, but it would be a shame if all of them turned out the same way.

The neutral NPCs got hit by a fireball from one of the bunnies. I think. Something with friendly fire. The AI interprets this as the PC being a psychopath assaulting random people and everybody goes hostile!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Not doing Roll of the Dead and end of game notes until the thread decides which ending we'll evidently see is canon.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I knew Kagain would not disappoint :patriot:

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012

Shugojin posted:

The neutral NPCs got hit by a fireball from one of the bunnies. I think. Something with friendly fire. The AI interprets this as the PC being a psychopath assaulting random people and everybody goes hostile!
I figured it was something like that. I'm still curious why they just stood there like a bunch of pissants before the bunnies went off.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Mostly the AI is trained to ignore/run away from the PC fighting poo poo in the middle of the streets. Some AI packages like guards help you out (I'm guessing Bjornin has one of these) but the majority don't.

e: this is basically :speculate: though

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

There's two major events that led to everyone attacking me. The first is Minsc going hostile, and the second is the rest of the group going hostile. I honestly did not realize when Minsc went hostile while playing, but going back now and studying the screenshots, he goes hostile after Semaj casts her first Chaos spell. He gets caught in it, and you can see confusion birdies flying around his head and his indicator turns red. Later on, I cast a Dispel Magic at the group and dispel the confusion from Finch and also Minsc, but because he is outside of the party he remains red-hostile.

The second event is some exploding bunnies exploding and hitting a few of the bystanders. Those 3 that are originally hit go hostile, and those that aren't hostile but see me attacking those in turn go hostile, as standard bystander AI goes in this game. Bystanders will attack you if you attack nearby bystanders. So the hostility just passed through the Golden Company like a virus.

I think they originally did not attack because I've misunderstood the way the Relationship mod works with that. I think what I should have done is asked each and every non-party Golden Company member to back me up via the Relationship mod before starting the fight. I might have had to pay some of them in rings or amulets to get their relationship points high enough to support me. I'll take another stab at this strategy later on and try that first, see if things go better. But this is the first try, and this is how it went down, so this is the first option.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The implications of that ending are amazing. Syvishtar basically acknowledged that they're just cannon fodder to him, left them all in a pocket dimension to chew on it, and then confronted Sarevok by saying he'd be a much better Lord of Murder.

They all feared it was coming. Firebead had told them to stay their hand, and they had listened. The man knew Gorion better than anyone, and still had faith that Syvishtar had been brought up right. Minsc was the first to see it, and Bjornin and Firebead were last. There was no convincing Xan or Imoen. Finch never saw it. Kagain saw only profit in staying in Syvishtar's good graces, and Kivan said that any Lord of Murder who laid the ground floor with Tazok was alright with him. Jaheira refused to betray Gorion's ward, and Gavin ended up getting cold feet at the eleventh hour. There were others who refused, but whether it was from loyalty or cowardice is hard to say.

They had all agreed to come slay the Bhaalspawn who had been embracing his father's essence and was threatening the entire Sword Coast, if not more, with death and destruction. Syvishtar is throwing fireballs at his allies again, more callously than ever before. He is facing his only known equal in the world, and there may never be another opportunity to do this. Whatever good there was in Syvishtar just wasn't enough to overcome his nature.

The Lord of Murder shall perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny. Chaos will be sewn from their passage. So sayeth the wise Alaundo.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
:stare: that was something.

but go best bro kagain!

i'm digging how it fits story wise though into journey, everyone knows your heritage now, they all conspired to get rid of you out of fear. that is if this one gets voted on, its a strong contender. man it even fits with the intro fmv for bg2.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 18:50 on May 6, 2014

Alpha3KV
Mar 30, 2011

Quex Chest
Even when he's not invincible anymore, this version of Kagain is still the toughest son of a bitch in the Realms. :black101:

If this ending is chosen, Minsc being among the traitors would certainly make the BG2 transition interesting. Looking forward to the others, though it's hard to see any of them topping this right now.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

:staredog: Goddamn, Syv. You're one cold, cold man/woman/murder factory.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
The Wise Alaundo really knew the poo poo he was sayething.

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

So if this is the ending we vote for, will you go back and pickup the memebrs that didn't go batshit and revive them? Either way, that was positively amazing. I think my favorite part was that Kagain managed to survive the whole drat thing. Any chance we could make him an honorary Murderspawn?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Kagain is truly the Best Companion. In BG2 we need to pick him up again! :colbert:

Skelicopter
Feb 19, 2013

More like Prince Alarming
This ending is beautiful, but I don't know if I'll vote for it yet. I don't know if it quite fits the LP narrative well enough, and my love of Minsc and Edwin's characters in BG2 is so great that I don't know if I could handle Syvishtar killing them on sight and hanging out with some self-insert Mary Sue mod character instead.

But I'm glad I saw it. Let's see how the other endings go.

Benjifer
May 28, 2012
Hah, that's what you get for hitting your team with exploding bunnies!

I almost certainly won't vote for this ending, but I was quite surprised it ended with a win. I know how hard and easy mod Sarevok hits... I think Angelo has loads of Arrows of Detonation as well, so kudos to Syv and Kagain!

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Kajeesus posted:

Cool stuff

Pretty close to how I saw the betrayal. This plan was basically "You all can die for all I care. Hell, you SHOULD die for me" and the companions noticed.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
That was awesome. It'd be insane to pick a canonical end without seeing all the options, of course. But somehow, a chaotic cluster-gently caress like that seems in the right spirit, at least. Having Squirrel recorded as a traitor seems like a painful blow, though :D

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

The next strategy I have on my list is "Solo Bhallchild Smackdown." This should be easy.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vorgen posted:

The next strategy I have on my list is "Solo Bhallchild Smackdown." This should be easy.

In other words, it should be pretty much the same as the last run, except that you won't have Kagain on your side -- but to balance that, you also won't have to fight the 67 members of the Golden Company that couldn't fit in your official party.

edit: okay, okay... I guess Kivan wasn't entirely worthless in that first fight either, even though he died early

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 7, 2014

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Honestly, that was glorious, but I think I'm pre-emptively going with solo bhaalspawn smackdown in advance :ohdear:

tithin fucked around with this message at 10:20 on May 7, 2014

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Arcade Rabbit posted:

So if this is the ending we vote for, will you go back and pickup the memebrs that didn't go batshit and revive them?

They all went batshit. But even if they hadn't, I can't pick up a dead character thats outside my party. They are dead forever.

Quift
May 11, 2012
Glorious.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?
:stonk:

Holy poo poo.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

13 Nightal, 1370b

As we approach the gates to the temple of my dread father, I sigh. I realize something. I have come to a conclusion.

I say that I forgot something, and that we should teleport back. So we do.

I look around at my companions. My loyal followers. My most trusted friends. I look at them and realize that I cannot ask them to come with me. The assembled host of the Golden Company are not just warriors brave and true, not just the greatest strength of the Sword Coast - they also make me laugh. Been with me through thick and thin. Some even loved, or do love, me. I can't make them do this.

And they cannot not understand what I must try to do.

Silently, using the subtle magic of semantics, I remove myself from the assembled throng.

This is my own personal problem. I must face my brother alone.

I touch the crystals, and hear a half a sound of objections before I disappear. Then I am here, alone in this dark place, shining bright like the sun, all the powers of the Weave at my fingertips.

"I've got a pocket, got a pocket full of sunshine," I sing to myself, a smile coming over my face. That bard, so many years ago. Candlekeep. "Do what you want but you're never gonna break me," I sing, like a prayer. To Him. To Myself. To Sarevok. To us all.

"Wish that you could, but you ain't gonna own me." I step up to the door and open it.

"Take me away... to better days..." I go in.

I give myself a few seconds to let it all sink in.

I continue to sing more words under my breath, as I begin my summons.

"The Weave is on my side..."

"Take me for a ride..."

"I smile up to the sky..."

"I know I'll be alright."

Then I approach my brother. Mine only brother.

There must be another way, brother! We could rally, and fight this evil together!

Do you not yet realize? There is no great evil to fight, save that within ourselves!

But together we could face such evil, regardless of its source. Together we could be stronger!

I cannot be stronger; I am strong now! It is you who are the weak one, you who destroyed your slayer within. I have TAMED mine, and use him as I see fit! The god is dead but his power is there, waiting for a will. That will is mine, and all others will fall by the wayside! Come and face your brother! Face me! Face the new LORD OF MURDER! Angelo! Tazok! Reveal yourselves and let's finish this now!

I am sorry to hear you say that brother. I wave my elementals reluctantly forward. They tear into Sarevok, as his minions appear around him. But he just laughs.

Our dead father's strength suffuses these walls! Here I was to perform the rituals that would make me a god, and here I have already mastered power beyond your puny imaginings. What I began with Zhalimar and the others whom you struck down in Reiltar's mansion, I have now completed.

These four are my acolytes, the first of my worshippers. While we are within this place, their souls are bound to our father's taint within me. Their power suffuses me, protects me from all harm. It is but a taste of what I shall wield when I ascend, but for now it is more than sufficient to end this little family quarrel.

Goodbye, Syvishtar. I shall not allow your death to be swift.

My response is a small smile, and Cloudkill.

I step back and hear that my elementals are taking a beating.

By the time my last one falls, I have cast Melf's Explosive Meteors. But I preface them with something else. Dispel Magic. It hits Semaj and Tazok. Then I throw the Meteors.

Sarevok gets a good hit in, so I have to summon my bunnies and move back.

I drink a Potion of Invisibility so that they focus on the rabbits.

It feels almost unfair, really, to be able to disappear whenever I want. I try to drown out the feeling with potions.

Then I move off to a deserted corner to cast my second round of summons - a Cacofiend.

Angelo sees me, but he can't stop the Cacofiend.

The Cornugon attacks Sarevok, leaving me free to deal with Angelo on my own.

He's wrapped in more magic than I am, so I hit him with a Dispel from Rhialto's Spellbook.

Then, since I have no pause between spells and they flow from my fingertips like water, I hit him with enough Magic Missiles to open a Magic Missile stand.

When Angelo is near death he triggers a Stoneskin contingency. I don't care.

I rip the remaining life out of Angelo and he falls. Too bad for him.

Sarevok notices, but doesn't seem to care.

And, sure enough, Angelo's skeleton rises in a column of flame!

Eh. I'll get to that later. I drink another Potion of Invisibility and get ready for round 2.

I notice that everyone has been able to kill my Cornugon. Wow. Cornugon corpse.

I cast Improved Invisibility on myself, because I don't want to be targeted by any spells. Then I sneak up just close enough to target Tazok and try out Arc of Death on him. But I get weaves mixed up a bit...

Not as planned. Not at all.

Ok, Cone of Cold!

Flame Arrow!

Melf's Minute Meteors!

Blade Shower!

Ok, that worked. I wonder why he couldn't hit me?

I drink another Potion of Invisibility and think about how next to kill the mages.

I try to find the right angle, and break my invisibility to cast Feeblemind at Semaj. But Sarevok sees me and rushes me in a frenzy, slashing back and forth. I lose my spell!

I fumble for another Potion of Invisibility, but Sarevok slashes me still!

I just barely get away from another slash before drinking the potion.

I drink potions to heal again, and try to figure out what to do next. I am going to have to summon another cacofiend. There's no other way. I reach through the weave...

Well thanks Weave, but not the demon I was going for.

I try to go in another direction.

Is the Weave trying to tell me ... to melee? No, surely it couldn't be.

Just... a cacofiend is the only chance that I have. I need something to distract Sarevok while I kill his minions. So I commit to the strategy. A few tries later, I have another one.

But... this cacofiend is not the cacofiend of which I am familiar. This is a Gelugon.

What the hell is a Gelugon? Well, whatever he is, he better not disappoint!

He does immediately Fireball Semaj, but then... then he turns on me!

No! Bad Gelugon! Bad!

I try to run away. But the demon casts Ice Storm at me, slowing me in my tracks!

I drink a Potion of Invisibility, but it doesn't work on the demon!

I drink an Oil of Speed to try to run away, and finally the Gelugon is distracted by a skeleton warrior.

I can only hope that I've run away far enough. It can still see me.

Great power is here.

Yeah, no poo poo Meta Infernum.

It kills the first skeleton warrior without taking a scratch.

It does the second the same way.

Then it starts to work on ... a third? Did someone die when I wasn't looking? Must be!

The Gelugon calls another Ice Storm, while I continue to cower in my corner.

The skeleton warrior tries to run away, and the Gelugon immediately throws a Fireball at it.

Note to self, never do this again.

When the Gelugon chases after the skeleton warrior, that's when Sarevok chooses to engage. I can hear his crazed voice from across the room.

Oh, goodie, Semaj is casting invisibility too. HE CAN STILL SEE YOU SEMAJ!

Shockingly, Sarevok seems to be doing as well against this demon as the last. I hear its screams of pain!

I manage to run to the other side of the room, and see a frightened Diarmid running around.

I begin casting random spells at him, even though he looks protected somehow. A Cone of Cold absolutely destroys the bats near me.

Gah! If only I had some sort of ranged weapon, something that I could use... I dig through my pack.

Taurmaril! I can use Taurmaril!

I equip the bow and the Stun Shot arrows that I have on me. Diarmid is also using a bow, and we exchange volleys.

Sometimes I try to cast a random spell at him, but nothing affects him.

So I keep with the bow-work.

This becomes a war of healing potion attrition.

But when he drops his bow and comes after me with a halberd, I realize that the true battle was arrow attrition!

Well, if magic can't affect him, I'll just have to get it to affect me.

I shapeshift into an Ogre and engage with Diarmid, but Sarevok hears the commotion and comes in to help!

And I am forced to invis and retreat yet again.

This time I decide to go for the subtle approach. I do not go too near them, just near enough to cast... Cloudkill.

Then I try to layer it with a nice Ice Storm, but the Weave turns on me!

200,000 gold disappears from my pack. Ouch! That was vacation money!

I'm low on spells. I decide that I have to, have to stick with what works. I reach for another demon.

YES!

There, in the cloudkill, a Marilith rises. There, Sarevok goes after his 3rd demon of the night.

When Semaj casts Color Spray at the demon, I know she is dead to me.

I begin to unload my random spells into the melee. The marilith has the same idea as me and drops another Cloudkill!

I know I don't have much time, so I whip out my bow and fire another shaft at Diarmid. He goes.

Then, I turn to Semaj. But I glance towards the Marilith and realize that it is already badly injured. Time to get out of this area and let the Cloudkills do their work.

I am safe when I hear the death cries of the Marilith.

I pop another invis potion and go to see what's going on. The Marilith's Cloudkill is all that remains, but continues to damage my foes.

When the cloud goes away, Semaj looks injured.

Dare I fire an arrow at her? Sarevok would come running.

I try instead one of my few remaining spells - Slow. It doesn't work.

I reach for another invis potion, hoping I can get to it in time.

I do. Just barely.

This has become a test of endurance. I'm almost all out of spells. Semaj and Sarevok stick together, so I cannot separate them. Sarevok doesn't even look injured! I am running out of options.

I very, very carefully position myself on the farthest opposite side of Semaj from Sarevok. Then I very, very carefully fire an arrow at her head. It works!

I must not move from this spot or Sarevok will see me. Instead I cast random spells at Semaj.

The last spell is Spider Spawn. The spiders attract Sarevok's attention! At least he is focused on them, for now. I have time.

I pull out my sword and prepare to kill Semaj.

But it doesn't work. Sarevok cuts through the two spiders in two hits, and comes for me again. Again I disappear, position myself, and cast Random Spell I at Semaj.

They don't do much, except for my last Random Spell I. It invokes Blade Shower!

And with my final set of blades, I finally, finally kill Semaj!

Sarevok begins, also, to doubt himself.

Now all I have to do is to kill this super-fast magic-resistant murderbot and I'm home free.

I only have 2 Nahal's Reckless Dweomers left. I hope I can turn them into 2 demons.

And that's when I remember all my spell scrolls. How could I forget? I dig into them.

A moment later, I'm surrounded by my Army of One. I cast Disintegrate at Sarevok.

But I get a little too cocky, and 3 skeleton warriors plus Sarevok beating at my Army of One depletes it quickly. I escape once again.

That was my last Potion of Invisibility. I cannot escape again.

I position myself and cast 3 Cloudkills. I have the scrolls, after all.

A couple Monster Summoning I's give the skeleton warriors something to do.

I rush in and cast a Skull Trap. Sarevok falls for it.

Lightning Bolt is next!

And after that, I planned Arc of Death.

But Sarevok gets through my Mirror Images!

He hits me hard! I try to run, but I can't get away from him.

His sword comes down on my shoulder, and goes through my whole torso.

I die screaming.

Gameplay note: Well, obviously this can't be a viable ending. But I said I'd record all of them. And ain't no way am I going to waste 400 lines of fight by not posting it.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I for one vote for "we don't need to see the other endings, Ending 1 is as good and as appropriate as it's going to get."

Time for a holiday! Anyone know anyone with a nice remote chateau?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
A Gelugon, for Syvishtar's information, is known as an ice devil. They are also, for whatever reason, insectoid. Gelugons are one of the more dangerous inhabitants of the Hells, and in basic 3.5E DnD rank in as the third most powerful standard variety of devil, number one being pit fiends and two being cornugons (horned devils).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Vorgen posted:

I die screaming.

And the Golden Company starve to death, trapped forever within your Pocket Plane.

Alternatively, Sarevok goes through your gear, figures out how to get in there, and slaughters them.

• Locked thread