Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I really, really want to try playing this ridiculous megamod, but then I load up that 275-page PDF and my eyes just kind of rotate into the back of my skull as I start frothing at the mouth. I realise there's setup programs to do all this stuff, so how painful is it to get working normally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Party Membership is a Democracy, The Weave is Not.

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

First you download all the mods automatically, which takes 3 to 5 hours depending on the speed of your connection. Then you hunt down all the mods that have changed while cursing the chinese and germans and french in equal measure, which takes a couple hours. Then you run the automatic batch file preparation program a few times to dispel all doubts, takes an hour. Then you click on the batch file and let it run all night. I've seen it take anywhere between 10 hours and 2 days to complete the batch file. Then you hope there's nothing game-breaking in the error log.

I really wish bioware would release their games as open source so people could simply release a compiled game itself rather than make you compile hundreds of mods.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

I remember trying to install an earlier version of the mod. Everything worked fine until I tried to install one extra custom class. That was the wafer thin mint that made the whole thing explode.

10 hours of effort gone in an instant.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Stelas posted:

I really, really want to try playing this ridiculous megamod, but then I load up that 275-page PDF and my eyes just kind of rotate into the back of my skull as I start frothing at the mouth. I realise there's setup programs to do all this stuff, so how painful is it to get working normally?

Not that painful, it's more about the time it takes to shape up to a form you want.

Short guide to the BiG World (maybe put a link into OP):

Download the "big world setup" program from here, install all the games (make sure BG2 is in a BGII - SoA folder), update them, start a game in each one up to the first autosave, run the self-extracting program, exit the mod installer once its unpacked (new screen pops up and a bunch of other things, basically it tells you) and download this fix into the "BiG World Setup\Config\" directory.

Run the installer and decline any updates (it reverts to the last stable version), then click on the button with three dots [an ellipse?] (...) next to the choose a compilation dialog (core, recommended, standard, adventure picks, tactics and expert), this lets you pick components you want.

Here you need to right click on BGT (in big BG2 mods) and choose "pause before installing this mod". After that you pick whatever you want (do NOT choose Dark Horizons or any expert mods except for NEJ. And if you do pick NEJ (somewhat recommended, it's the icewind dale part) you need to select all components with "NEJ" in their name).

Click on continue, pick a resolution you want and let it do its thing until it stops. Then go into the "BG2 - SoA" directory and run "setup_BGT.exe". select 1 and put in your BG1 installation path and let it install. Then just choose continue in the BW setup and leave it for a couple hours. And there you go, crazy modded (or not) BG to play. And (possibly) with no individual mods downloading!

Edit: to be fair this is because you will not get the latest updates since the installer is no longer updated. I do not think it matters all that much, but keep that in mind.

Further edit: Actually I just realized I already have a cache of all the mods downloaded, so you may need to get the updated versions in the end. Not like it makes the process a whole lot different, just download whatever you need and put it into the "downloads" folder.

Ignore this, doesn't work and I suck and stuff.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 17, 2011

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Vorgen posted:

I really wish bioware would release their games as open source so people could simply release a compiled game itself rather than make you compile hundreds of mods.

Ain't gonna happen I think as Atari still owns the license for D&D games on PC and console which means Bioware can't republish the games themselves.
Could be wrong of course regarding this so if someone wants to correct me on this go ahead.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Slaan posted:

That is what I like to call "wasting XP" goon sir :colbert:

It really isn't. Every potential party member will be at the same XP level as the party when we recruit them.

I think we owe it to Khalid and Jaheira to finish the job at Nashkel, but after that I support the idea of seeing as many new characters as possible.

Likewise, we can do Minsc's rescue job, but after that we should cut him loose and see the new folks.

Therefore, I say we should Go Back to Beregost and Tie up our Loose Ends then Do Nashkel and the Mines then Let Jaheira and Khalid Go, and finally Go West, Pick Up Minsc, Rescue Dynaheir, then Let Them Both Leave.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

A fledgling vampire? How about a dragon, or some half-kobold druids? Perhaps a spontaneous sex change? Anything that can happen, will happen the results will be beyond entertaining.

markus_cz posted:

As much as I love Minsc, I'd say don't take him to the party. We've all played Baldur's Gate many times and know him. I'd rather if you took as many new or uncommon NPCs as possible.

That said, if you really want Minsc, get rid of Khalid and Jaheira and keep Shar-teel!

EDIT: My vote is clear the mines with Khalid and Jaheira, then kick them out of the party.

I'm going back and forth on this. On the one hand, there ARE a ton of new NPCs that we could try. On the other hand, mods in this game eventually make Boo a real familiar. With powers. So just keep in mind that while there are a ton of new NPCs, the stock NPCs have also often been changed, sometimes greatly.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Sep 11, 2011

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

We could always do it hardcore and not resurrect anyone ever. Natural selection would decide who'd be our party member :D

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

jng2058 posted:

Therefore, I say we should Go Back to Beregost and Tie up our Loose Ends then Do Nashkel and the Mines then Let Jaheira and Khalid Go, and finally Go West, Pick Up Minsc, Rescue Dynaheir, then Let Them Both Leave.

I support this course of action.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011
Considering that the BWP installer is no longer maintained and the former file repository is empty, I'm guessing that a more old-school approach may be necessary. Anyone other than the OP gotten this to work correctly? Or perhaps we might entice Vorgen to share his eldritch installation secrets?

-edit-
Long story short, the installer is borked.

hairrorist fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Sep 12, 2011

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010

Vorgen posted:

First you download all the mods automatically, which takes 3 to 5 hours depending on the speed of your connection. Then you hunt down all the mods that have changed while cursing the chinese and germans and french in equal measure, which takes a couple hours. Then you run the automatic batch file preparation program a few times to dispel all doubts, takes an hour. Then you click on the batch file and let it run all night. I've seen it take anywhere between 10 hours and 2 days to complete the batch file. Then you hope there's nothing game-breaking in the error log.

I'm really torn between wanting to try this massive endeavor and curling up into a fetal coma before returning to my idiot-proof insert disc and play games. :gonk:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

hairrorist posted:

Considering that the BWP installer is no longer maintained and the former file repository is empty, I'm guessing that a more old-school approach may be necessary. Anyone other than the OP gotten this to work correctly? Or perhaps we might entice Vorgen to share his eldritch installation secrets?

-edit-
Long story short, the installer is borked.

Its not really a secret, all I did was download this installer and then follow the prompts. It will ask you if you want to download an updated list of mods, so do that. Then make sure you have bg1 installed to an easy-to-type directory like C:/baldur, and that you have Shadows of Amn installed to something/something/BGII - SoA, and that they are both full installations. Then follow the prompts. If you're not up for doing it all yourself, there might be a finished version floating around on the interwebs somewhere but i wouldn't know much about that.

The borked installer might be the beta version. They were working on a more ambitious installer, the beta installer, which would let you select each individual component of each individual mod instead of pre-selecting things for you. The beta installer would keep track of conflicts and dependencies and let you customize to your heart's content. But the guys got burned out before it was finished, so don't use that one.

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Sep 12, 2011

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

jng2058 posted:

Likewise, we can do Minsc's rescue job, but after that we should cut him loose and see the new folks.

A party without Minsc is a party without a soul :colbert:

Likewise Viconia :swoon:

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Ok so it sounds like the consensus is to go back to Beregost and do what we can there, then do Nashkel and kick out Khalid and Jaheria afterwards. Then we do Minsc and kick him and Dynaheir out afterwards as well. We go searching for more new NPCs wherever we can find them. Yah?

Vorgen fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Oct 13, 2011

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
There does look to be a consensus to ditch Khalid and Jaheira after clearing the mines, yes.

However, I wouldn't say there's a consensus on ditching Minsc. Waiting until after the mines to pick him up, yes. Ditching him...

The following people have voted for getting Minsc briefly, then ditching him:
vilkacis
markus_cz
meristem
jng2058
Fighting Trousers

The following people have voted for keeping Minsc permanently:
JamMasterJim
Slaan
Tax Refund

The following people have voted for getting Minsc but have expressed no opinion on whether to keep him long-term or not:
Whitecloak
Cooked Auto

So if Whitecloak and Cooked Auto meant "keep Minsc long-term", then it might be a tied vote right now. Though if we do the mines first, there'll be plenty of time for this vote to shift...

P.S. Did I miss anyone? Misrepresent anyone's position?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
I want to see Boo's upgrade. Get Minsc and keep him.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Go find Minsc and you never let him go, you horrible monster. Same with Viconia.

As an aside, do the BG2 characters not show up until we enter that phase of gameplay?

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
I'd say get Minsc and keep him foresaking the crap-rear end fighter woman we have now.

I'd also like to see the mines get taken out with Minsc in the party, and then afterwards we can do his little quest to keep him happy. Hopefully that's all achievable within given timeframes.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Ok, so that's still up for debate. Then I'll go back to Beregost, do what we can there, and bring it up again :).

Whitecloak
Dec 12, 2004

ARISE
Clarifying my vote by saying I want you to get Minsc and keep him. I like boo.

hairrorist
Mar 29, 2011

Vorgen posted:

The borked installer might be the beta version. They were working on a more ambitious installer, the beta installer, which would let you select each individual component of each individual mod instead of pre-selecting things for you. The beta installer would keep track of conflicts and dependencies and let you customize to your heart's content. But the guys got burned out before it was finished, so don't use that one.

Aha, I think I was using the beta installer. Thanks a bunch!

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Go find Minsc and once you have found him never let him go, you horrible monster.
Agreed.

ShiningForceHero
Apr 19, 2006
We have all used Minsc a million times. Use him to retrieve Dynaheir, then ditch him.

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Ahahahahaha, I was testing something and started a new Shadows of Amn game, going through a ton of cutscenes. When I finally got control of my character and started wandering around Irenicus' dungeon, I discovered something horrible.

My friends, we're going to have to go into :siren: CODE RED FURRY ALERT :siren: when we get there. Irenicus really is a disgusting bastard.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Go find Minsc and you never let him go, you horrible monster.

Agreed.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Is it possible to murder Minsc and abscond with Boo or are yo-

Vorgen posted:

Ahahahahaha, I was testing something and started a new Shadows of Amn game, going through a ton of cutscenes. When I finally got control of my character and started wandering around Irenicus' dungeon, I discovered something horrible.

My friends, we're going to have to go into :siren: CODE RED FURRY ALERT :siren: when we get there. Irenicus really is a disgusting bastard.

... Uh. :stare:

Lord_Ventnor
Mar 30, 2010

The Worldwide Deadly Gangster Communist President
:angel: Shyvishtar, there is a warrior in this town who will prove instrumental in your trials ahead. You may not understand some of what he does, but but it will all work out in the end. At any rate, seek him out. The world depends on it.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

yeah get Minsc and keep him please, he's one of the best characters in this game

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Vorgen posted:

Oh god, the modders have gone nuclear :ohdear:

also, whatever else you do I vote we ditch the dumb bard because he seems dumb and annoying.

Comrade Question
Mar 30, 2011

"I'd say it's nothing personal, but corporations are people, too."

Vorgen posted:

:siren: CODE RED FURRY ALERT :siren:

Is it as bad as this? Yeah, I thought so.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

Vorgen posted:

I just pray to God that this doesn't involve Boo in any way :ohdear:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Go find Minsc and you never let him go, you horrible monster. Same with Viconia.

I'm inclined to agree with this in light with what with Tax Refund has brought up.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
You poor. poor. poor bastard.

The LP of BG1 vanilla ended up being about a million times more arduous and painful than I expected. I've started an LP of ToSTC because I said I would do it about 3 times now but my soul weeps each and every time.

All the best and I recommend you start forming a romantic connection with your favourite kind of beer. Or just be aware we'll still be here in 2 years time.

PS: If you EVER get rid of Minsc I'll find you and insert a Bastard Sword where the sun doesn't shine.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
New tally:

The following people have voted for getting Minsc briefly, then ditching him:
vilkacis
markus_cz
meristem
jng2058
Fighting Trousers
ShiningForceHero

The following people have voted for keeping Minsc permanently:
JamMasterJim
Slaan
Tax Refund
AJ_Impy
Kaboom Dragoon
PotatoManJack
Whitecloak
Xander77
JGBeagle
Lord_Ventnor
fong
Cooked Auto
Hammer Floyd

The following people have voted for getting Minsc but have expressed no opinion on whether to keep him long-term or not:
Whitecloak (said "keep him permanently")
Cooked Auto (ditto)

The vote currently stands at 13 to 6 for keeping Minsc in the party for good.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Get MINSC and keep him forever.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!
We should go with the cannon party because while you may have all seen that party many times before, there's a ton of new content to explore with them and there is a drat good reason these party members are the most popular. Do have Khalid get plotkilled at some point though and replace with Jan Jansen, because Minsc and Boo aren't half as fun without him. Or a cleric on account of being useful I guess...

throw to first DAMN IT
Apr 10, 2007
This whole thread has been raging at the people who don't want Saracen invasion to their homes

Perhaps you too should be more accepting of their cultures
We should get Minsc and then release him since he comes with the useless mage package and we can just pick him alone in BG2. This leaves room for the mod NPCs, I would actually like to see some of them for longer than it takes for us to find next group of wolves to eat their balls, especially since some of them have interesting sounding quests.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Yeah, I don't have much of an opinion about Minsc or anyone else in BG1 since they basically shut up forever after you pick them up. However, I would like very much to see a number of the mod NPCs instead of seeing everyone else that I've seen a hundred times over.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Puistokemisti posted:

We should get Minsc and then release him since he comes with the useless mage package and we can just pick him alone in BG2. This leaves room for the mod NPCs, I would actually like to see some of them for longer than it takes for us to find next group of wolves to eat their balls, especially since some of them have interesting sounding quests.

Much as I love Minsc - and I really, really do - there are so many amazingly horrid mod characters added to Big World Project that I'd love to see (so I never have to download them for myself).

Vorgen posted:

Also, amazingly horrid mod things in general. Oh god, what have they done? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorgen
Mar 5, 2006

Coolguye posted:

Yeah, I don't have much of an opinion about Minsc or anyone else in BG1 since they basically shut up forever after you pick them up. However, I would like very much to see a number of the mod NPCs instead of seeing everyone else that I've seen a hundred times over.

I'm all for variety as well but I should clarify that one of the mods is the BG1 NPC Banterpack mod that makes most NPCs talk to each other throughout the length of Baldurs Gate. So the NPCs probably won't shut up no matter which ones we take.

• Locked thread