Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d3c0y2
Sep 29, 2009

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorry to bring this up almost 2 pages later but this actually was my sole complaint about The Book of Eli. I really hated how Mila Kunis's character looks far too good for her role. Everyone else looks great, her mom looks plain but not ugly (I would assume Oldman's character would in fact take someone who was attractive since he's in a position to do this) and Oldman and Washington look like hell. Kunis looks like she has no trouble finding makeup in a world where Shampoo basically can't be found. I'm not blaming Kunis for being attractive of course, just wish they picked someone who was more "girl next door" pretty.

I always hate the part of that film were he's in the bedroom after having stayed a night at the educated war lords house, then when poo poo goes south he's suddenly outside even though just before he had been trapped in the house.

It makes no loving sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porkfriedrice
May 23, 2010
Why do I see so many movies (and TV for that matter) that have the sound of squealing tires when the vehicle is on a dirt road? I guess I can't give any example off the top of my head, but I seem to notice it a lot. Moviemakers love squealing tires.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

porkfriedrice posted:

Moviemakers love squealing tires.

And ricocheting bullets, no matter what they hit.

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
While this doesn't ruin Alien for me, it does ruin the intensity of a very intense scene.

When Dallas is in the shaft looking to drive out the alien, and can't tell which direction it's coming from, the buildup is really intense and atmospheric. You've got the foreboding music, the blip of the tracker, the cramped set piece of the vent shaft, the crew monitoring the motions around him, and you know Dallas is a goner. He moves down one level as the alien's closing fast, turns around, and you get a well-placed jump scare with the alien coming out of the darkness at him. It's tense, and the reveal should be really scary. And it is...

...except for those goofy rubber costume hands, and the motion it makes.

It doesn't lunge at him, it doesn't protrude its inner mouth, and it doesn't really attack. Instead it's literally a monster going "RARRR!" and spreading its arms out in a scary monster motion. If it was just the alien's head or its huge form hurling out of the dark, it would be scary as poo poo, but the easily-spotted rubber costume hands just take me right out of it. It looks like it's yelling out "TA-DA!" and it's a very human motion for a horror monster, which defeats the purpose of the thing behaving completely... well, alien.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Bonk posted:

While this doesn't ruin Alien for me, it does ruin the intensity of a very intense scene.

When Dallas is in the shaft looking to drive out the alien, and can't tell which direction it's coming from, the buildup is really intense and atmospheric. You've got the foreboding music, the blip of the tracker, the cramped set piece of the vent shaft, the crew monitoring the motions around him, and you know Dallas is a goner. He moves down one level as the alien's closing fast, turns around, and you get a well-placed jump scare with the alien coming out of the darkness at him. It's tense, and the reveal should be really scary. And it is...

...except for those goofy rubber costume hands, and the motion it makes.

It doesn't lunge at him, it doesn't protrude its inner mouth, and it doesn't really attack. Instead it's literally a monster going "RARRR!" and spreading its arms out in a scary monster motion. If it was just the alien's head or its huge form hurling out of the dark, it would be scary as poo poo, but the easily-spotted rubber costume hands just take me right out of it. It looks like it's yelling out "TA-DA!" and it's a very human motion for a horror monster, which defeats the purpose of the thing behaving completely... well, alien.

Even as a child, when I thought this was basically the scariest movie that could exist, that scene just felt downright goofball to me for exactly the reasons you mention.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine
That happens in a lot of films if images that are supposed to flash by quickly linger on the screen too long:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Stoatbringer posted:

And ricocheting bullets, no matter what they hit.

People shot with a silencer gun also never scream in pain. They are always instantly dead and the killer doesn't miss.

Z-Magic
Feb 19, 2011

They talk about the people and the proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs - it's the same thing. They have their five-year plans, so have I.
In the new Star Trek where the hell did Nero get his ship from? He was on a mining mission yet his ship has enough weaponry to take down the entire starfleet fleet (minus the enterprise). Why does a mining ship have to be so well armed?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

That happens in a lot of films if images that are supposed to flash by quickly linger on the screen too long

Wasn't that to prevent epileptic people from getting seizures?

Z-Magic posted:

In the new Star Trek where the hell did Nero get his ship from? He was on a mining mission yet his ship has enough weaponry to take down the entire starfleet fleet (minus the enterprise). Why does a mining ship have to be so well armed?

They had mining lazers that could cut through solid rock. I think it would be easy to cut ships apart.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
There was also a deleted scene from Alien where the Alien does some kind of crabwalk air-hump. Think I saw it on the cracked website, can't be bothered to go search for it though. So be glad that's all that it was!

Also, wasn't the ship from Star Trek from the future, or something? I guess a mining ship from an EVIL race would be pretty powerful against ships from a couple of centuries earlier.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

Z-Magic posted:

He's from the future, and the Romulans used Borg technology or some poo poo to augment his weapons for some reason.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Z-Magic posted:

Basically the entire plot for the movie is told in poo poo other than the actual movie.

And yes it was Borg technology or some stupid poo poo

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

NaturalLow posted:

I assume it was mostly just an extremely hamfisted to portray a lot of government agencies are all about procedures, beauracracy, and red tape.

Really I thought Ryan Reynolds' character wasn't much better though. It's really not surprising that he never got rescued since everytime someone asked him for information that might help, he never actually told them anything and was just like "gently caress your questions, read my mind and magically figure out where I am while I whine at you!"

I realize a person in that situation isn't going to be very calm, but I had a hard time sympathizing with him either.

What could he say? He woke up in a coffin. There's really no way to identify his location or where he could possible be. I found the movie kind of boring and may have missed some details though.

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
Today I learned what chainguns and silencers actually sound like. Thanks, Thread!

I have two:

Toy Story -What's to stop Woody and Buzz from just jumping out Sid's window when they first get the chance? Buzz probably only weighs a couple ounces, and Woody's made of cloth!

Star Wars -Wouldn't it be really easy for the Death Star gunners/TIE fighters to shoot down the rebel ships during the trench run? They have to fly in a perfectly straight line, directly towards/away from the people shooting at them, with almost no room to maneuver.

I love both films with all my heart, but I have to mentally stick my fingers in my ears and go *LALALALALALALALALA* in order to enjoy those parts.

Morton Haynice has a new favorite as of 23:51 on Sep 7, 2011

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

Morton Haynice posted:

Star Wars -Wouldn't it be really easy for the Death Star gunners/TIE fighters to shoot down the rebel ships during the trench run? They have to fly in a perfectly straight line, directly towards/away from the people shooting at them, with almost no room to maneuver.

I'd actually go out on a limb and say it's a little bit harder as it's actually a transverse trajectory. If you've ever shot clay pigeons, it's much harder to nail the transverse shots rather than those going away from you simply because you have to lead the transverse shots more. I dunno if you have to lead turbolasers at all, but I could see how it would be a more difficult shot.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Turbolasers are meant for hitting capital ships, not small snubfighters. In the shots with the models, it looks like the ships are just moving straight forward, but when it shows Vader's targeting HUD, they're moving about. Still, it's much easier for the TIEs to hit tham than the turbolasers.
They also have deflector shields. There are particle shields and ray shields. Particle shields are meant to deflect phsyical objects whereas ray shields deflect energy. Small craft, such as the X-Wing, usually have the latter. When they start the trench run, they "Switch all power to front deflector screens."
:goonsay:

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Morton Haynice posted:

Toy Story -What's to stop Woody and Buzz from just jumping out Sid's window when they first get the chance? Buzz probably only weighs a couple ounces, and Woody's made of cloth!

Much as I hate to justify this, there's narrative conceit at stake. Having Buzz and Woody take the proportional equivalent of jumping off of a bridge--even though neither have nerves and would lose a few easily reparable parts at worst--it stretches the audience's ability to empathize with them as human-esque characters. They bend the ability with humor and atmosphere-building details all the time in the Toy Story movies, but once you start to defuse dramatic tension by calling attention to the fact that these characters are very non-human you risk losing the audience's ability to invest.

That said they did also go a fair way to explain that Sid's house was on higher guard as Sid was a sadist with no life, with a "vicious" dog, and the scale of escaping on the fly would require a lot of ingenuity and energy Buzz and Woody simply didn't have.

Fantasmo
Dec 19, 2008

by Fistgrrl

Hexum posted:

There's a scene in Spiderman 2 where Peter Parker is having a lunch at a bistro with Mary Jane when his Spider sense goes off and he does this absurd Matrix twist thing to avoid a full size car that was thrown at him by Doctor Octopus. Doc Oc then commands Parker to reveal the identity/location of Spider man or something like that and then stomps off into the city.

If Peter Parker wasn't Spiderman then that car would have flattened them both, and if he wanted to talk to Parker then why would he throw a loving car at him???

Ock already knew he was Spider-Man but wanted to fight Spider-Man legit (in costume, not some nerd). He knew Peter would survive the car-through-the-window, really he was trying to kill his girl and piss him off.

Later when Spidey takes off his mask and Octavius is all surprized to see Parker, it's because he has reverted back to "good" Otto Octavius. Only the evil Doctor Octupus side of his mind knew it was Parker before.

Can I get a no-prize?

Morton Haynice
Sep 9, 2008

doop doop
doop doop
doop doop
doop doop

co199 posted:

Transverse Trajectory

That's interesting. I didn't think of that! (Can you tell I don't know a whole lot about guns?)

Pope Mobile posted:

Shields

I forgot about shields, but in my defense you never actually see them do anything. In Star Wars, ships seem to either get hit and explode, or dodge completely.

mind the walrus posted:

Plot Contrivance

Yeeeaaah, I get that there'd be no movie otherwise. I figure that kind of goes without saying in this thread. I didn't think so much about severing the character connection though. That's a good point, too.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Away all Goats posted:

What could he say? He woke up in a coffin. There's really no way to identify his location or where he could possible be. I found the movie kind of boring and may have missed some details though.

Yeah I realize there wasn't much that he could have told them, but this thread is all about being irrationally irritated after all. It just felt pointless since he kept calling these people for help, then would just kind of bitch at them and scream over/ignore any reasonable advice they gave him.

Then again, like you I thought the movie was pretty boring too so I kind of quit paying attention after a while.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

cyberbug posted:

I'm not a gun nerd but some weapon-related issues irritate me irrationally.

The minigun in Predator. They spent all the effort to get a working minigun in the movie, which is cool as hell, and then used a completely generic rat-tat-tat sound for it. WHAT THE gently caress? How hard would it have been to get the actual sound for it?
It sounds like in Predator they muffled the hell out of the actual sound then overlayed generic gun sounds on top of it.

cyberbug posted:

For the record, this is what the chainguns actually sound like.

Well technically thats a 20ft plane mounted chaingun, not quite as loud as a hand held M134.

co199
Oct 28, 2009

I AM A LOUSY FUCKING COMPUTER JANITOR WHO DOES NOT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CYBER COMPUTER HACKER SHIT.

PLEASE DO NOT LISTEN TO MY FUCKING AWFUL OPINIONS AS I HAVE NO FUCKING IDEA WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT.

zVxTeflon posted:

Well technically thats a 20ft plane mounted chaingun, not quite as loud as a hand held M134.

Yeah, the GAU-8 has a very unique sound due to its size and the shells it fires. This is a more accurate representation of the M-134. It has a very distinctive chainsaw sound. (As an aside, the short-barreled version in this video looks fun as hell to shoot).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYSiqYzNGaI

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Morton Haynice posted:

I forgot about shields..

How could anyone forget about me? :smug:

But seriously, they're more for glancing blows, not full-on blasts. I read dozens of the Star Wars EU novels growing up..

You know, I really wish I could contribute more to this thread, but my issues are usually passing things- they bug me while they're there, but then I tend to forget about them over time. I'm sure something will come to me though.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I get the chills thinking that one day this fuckwit may be right
Someone mentioned I Know What You Did Last Summer on the first page, and it reminded me of something that irrationally bothered me when I first saw that movie:

During the part where they "kill" the guy or whatever, it's supposed to be the 4th of July, in like North Carolina or some poo poo. Meanwhile, every time they breathe you can see big, heavy clouds of breath coming out of them. YOU CAN'T loving SEE YOUR BREATH ON THE FOURTH OF JULY IN NORTH CAROLINA.

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars

RagnarokAngel posted:

Sorry to bring this up almost 2 pages later but this actually was my sole complaint about The Book of Eli. I really hated how Mila Kunis's character looks far too good for her role. Everyone else looks great, her mom looks plain but not ugly (I would assume Oldman's character would in fact take someone who was attractive since he's in a position to do this) and Oldman and Washington look like hell. Kunis looks like she has no trouble finding makeup in a world where Shampoo basically can't be found. I'm not blaming Kunis for being attractive of course, just wish they picked someone who was more "girl next door" pretty.

God drat I hate the ending to this movie

Eli's dead and gone. Time for Mila Kunis's character to strike out on her own in the world.

With these super skills that Eli apparently taught her, given the badass look she's sporting.

In the what, week or so that they knew each other?

These are skills based on a highly developed sense of motion that a blind guy has, and she picked up all the tips she needed to be able to deal with anything she comes across, after barely any training, and ignoring she's spent the rest of her life as a bartender?

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

OdorousTobacco posted:

Someone mentioned I Know What You Did Last Summer on the first page, and it reminded me of something that irrationally bothered me when I first saw that movie:

During the part where they "kill" the guy or whatever, it's supposed to be the 4th of July, in like North Carolina or some poo poo. Meanwhile, every time they breathe you can see big, heavy clouds of breath coming out of them. YOU CAN'T loving SEE YOUR BREATH ON THE FOURTH OF JULY IN NORTH CAROLINA.

Yeah, no poo poo. I've seen 85 degree weather in December around here.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jay Dub posted:

I'd always thought the implication was that they reverse-engineered modern computer technology from the tech found inside the alien spacecraft. Granted, that makes it sort of like trying to link up an oldschool Game Boy to a 3DS, but it helps me sleep at night.
Also, there's a deleted scene that addresses it too.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I know someone mentioned Dark Knight earlier so I'm going to mention my irritating moment with it.

When Bruce is hosting that event for Harvey Dent and Rachel is there and all the supporters. This is the scene where the Joker busts in to find Batman. Eventually there's a fight and Joker throws Rachel out the window. Batman of course races out the window and rescues her as they slam into the roof of a car. That's not what bothers me.

The Joker is still up there with all those people and his cronies in a Batman-less room.

Does he just shrug and walk away? Does he take more hostages? It's an irritating lose end that I'm sure must be explained in an extra scene on a DVD.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I like to think the Joker and his cronies all hung around awkwardly waiting for Batman to come back, and then just gave up and wandered away before things got TOO awkward.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I watched a movie on Netflix the other day called "Altered". The whole premise of the movie is that 3 guys capture an alien that killed one of their friends years ago. At this point the movie took the train to irritating town. These guys have the alien tied up, duct taped down, and they decide to keep it alive. They don't explain why they keep it alive. If you wanted revenge on an alien wouldn't you just be satisfied with beating its rear end, tying it up, and killing it?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

I know someone mentioned Dark Knight earlier so I'm going to mention my irritating moment with it.

When Bruce is hosting that event for Harvey Dent and Rachel is there and all the supporters. This is the scene where the Joker busts in to find Batman. Eventually there's a fight and Joker throws Rachel out the window. Batman of course races out the window and rescues her as they slam into the roof of a car. That's not what bothers me.

The Joker is still up there with all those people and his cronies in a Batman-less room.

Does he just shrug and walk away? Does he take more hostages? It's an irritating lose end that I'm sure must be explained in an extra scene on a DVD.

I always thought that they left but I haven't seen the film for ages.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

Supeerme posted:

I always thought that they left but I haven't seen the film for ages.

That's the obvious assumption to make but they don't show it in the film so despite the scene being superfluous and unnecessary people continue to complain about its abscence.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Pope Mobile posted:

Turbolasers are meant for hitting capital ships, not small snubfighters. In the shots with the models, it looks like the ships are just moving straight forward, but when it shows Vader's targeting HUD, they're moving about. Still, it's much easier for the TIEs to hit tham than the turbolasers.
They also have deflector shields. There are particle shields and ray shields. Particle shields are meant to deflect phsyical objects whereas ray shields deflect energy. Small craft, such as the X-Wing, usually have the latter. When they start the trench run, they "Switch all power to front deflector screens."
:goonsay:

Something I just thought of from watching a clip of the trench run. How exactly do all those ship's engines work, it looks like they're fixed in place and should only provide forward thrust. Not really the best idea for a dogfight in space is it?

Zuriel147
May 1, 2009

Lanky Coconut Tree posted:

Something I just thought of from watching a clip of the trench run. How exactly do all those ship's engines work, it looks like they're fixed in place and should only provide forward thrust. Not really the best idea for a dogfight in space is it?

I used to have the "Vehicles and Vessels of the Star Wars Universe" (I was twelve, OK?) but can't really remember. I think maybe they altered the power out of each nozzle.

"http://www.starwars.com/databank/starship/xwing/?id=bts" says that it's done by "a system of etheric rudders", so presumably "magic".

FRACTURED ASS
Oct 27, 2010

When characters gently caress/fall in love within about two hours of meeting each other, especially if the former is in some kind of post-apocalypse setting--a pregnancy is the last thing you would want (and movies never show protected sex :v:).

How romantic interaction is handled makes or breaks movies for me, and since it's always handled so drat unrealistically I find it hard to actually watch a movie because I'm too busy thinking "wow that's so loving dumb"

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Nothing pisses me off more than in Horror films where the victims have the opportunity to kill their pursuer/stalker/future-murderer and just don't do it.

In this one movie Creep, the main girl has about one hundred opportunities to kill the monster man thing and every single time she either panics, or breaks down crying or runs away. The worst thing of all, each time she does, one of the other much more likable characters gets horribly killed. One girl gets an unnecessary abortion with a giant rusty hook and a maintenance worker gets impaled after holding the monster down and telling the main girl to kill it.

UGH! :spergin:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The most irritating moment I can think of must be from The Man from Earth. At some point, the main character starts to insinuate that he is Jesus. It goes on for minutes while other characters remain oblivious to what he is trying to say. I suppose that's intended and the audience is supposed to get it before it is finally "revealed". But gently caress, those other characters were supposed to be academics and the titular Man has the subtlety of an enraged chimp in heat. I had to pause the movie few times so I could calm my boiling rage - "Stop trying to be clever and mysterious, you stupid poo poo, and say it already, say that you are loving Jesus, it will not sound less retarded if you spend ten minutes foreshadowing it!"

Robzor McFabulous
Jan 31, 2011
Toy Story - If Buzz believes he is a real Space Ranger or whatever, why does he act like a toy like the others when Andy comes in?

Book of Eli - So the Book is a bible, and written in Braille? Have you SEEN how many volumes an entire Braille bible is?

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

...The Man from Earth..."Stop trying to be clever and mysterious, you stupid poo poo, and say it already, say that you are loving Jesus, it will not sound less retarded if you spend ten minutes foreshadowing it!"

Yeah, but he wasn't Jesus, at least not in the Son of God way. He was just some long-lived guy that people made up stories about years later. And he didn't want the religious people in the group to get offended. Of all the ridiculous things in that movie, you picked a weird one to get irritated with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Loopyface posted:

Yeah, but he wasn't Jesus, at least not in the Son of God way. (...) Of all the ridiculous things in that movie, you picked a weird one to get irritated with.

Well, it is the Irrationally Irritating Moments thread. And yeah, I know he wasn't actually God, but that didn't really improve that scene for me.

• Locked thread