Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay

Lolitas Alright! posted:

At that point, one character had already died of complications from AIDS: Angel. While it's true that Mimi had been out on the streets for about a month, sleeping on park benches, shooting up heroin, and not taking her AZT, they insinuate that she had pneumonia or something because of how she's coughing (since Mimì has tuberculosis in La bohème). Even in the stage musical, she is dying, and is turned back from the light by Angel. The last scene and the last song of the play, "Finale B", is pretty much saying "We don't have much time left with each other, so let's quit being assholes and fighting over stupid poo poo and just enjoy what little time we have left with each other before AIDS starts picking us off, one by one." It's essentially the thesis of the entire play.

To be fair, though, La bohème DOES end with Mimì dying of TB while Musetta (Maureen) is desperately praying, and Rodolfo (Roger) is sobbing hysterically, but keeping that ending wouldn't have helped put across the message that Johnathan Larson was going for, and in La bohème, Mimì running off after Rodolfo dumps her and she takes up with a rich viscount, then being found by Musetta on the streets dying is the climax of the play. It wouldn't have made sense to leave it out when they were writing the original script for "RENT".

EDIT: Also, it wasn't necessarily them dealing with "the consequences of their lifestyles" (other than the obvious relating to the various heroin addictions). When Johnathan Larson was writing "RENT", nobody really knew how this AIDS thing was spread, and all of a sudden, his friends were coming up HIV-positive, and dying from AIDS, right and left. The musical isn't meant to be chastising of any particular lifestyle... it has a lot of auto-biographical notes from Johnathan Larson's life, especially all the Life Support meetings and the songs related to that.

Additionally, Jonathan Larson died before any final tweaks could be made to the book. The show was out of its workshop stage, but it wasn't on Broadway yet; a lot can change between a show's off-Broadway and Broadway runs. The cast and crew were devastated by his death, and the production team made any cuts and changes very carefully and with Larson's original vision in mind as much as possible. Keeping in the "Mimi comes back to life" ending, as cliché and saccharine as it may be, was probably as much for the sake of the grieving cast and crew as it was to enforce the theme of "No Day But Today."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Lots of the Disney princesses just needed to be smacked and reminded of how good they have it compared to, oh, ninety percent of the other girls in the area.

Pocahontas bemoaned because the man who wants her hand in marriage is Serious. Not evil. Not even smacking puppies evil. He is serious and Primus knows you don't want that in a leader in harsh territory.

Ariel is spoiled, constantly breaking standard safety guidelines (IE, don't go near humans) because she wants to. And she decides to risk never seeing her family again because she is In Love with a guy she's seen, never spoken to. Imagine if the prince was like a real prince; had he met her on the beach he would have had his guards take her to some insane asylum or never spoken to her at all. And if for some reason he did keep her around, he certainly wouldn't be looking to kiss and wine and dine some mute girl who didn't know what a fork was. On that note if we count the sequel, Ariel has a daughter who loves the ocean but can't go near it because Ursula's sister is there. So rather than learn from her own past, Ariel has a giant loving fence put up and lies to her daughter about the ocean, rather than just saying their family is under a curse never to safely go in it.

Aurora gets a pass here, because she doesn't know she's a princess, but the fairies are loving retarded. If the evil fairy doesn't care about Aurora till her 16th birthday, why doesn't the king and queen keep her till then, and send her off to boarding or finishing school? Why do the fairies raise her in the loving woods until that dangerous day, and have her go back to civilization?

Jasmine wants to Marry For Love, despite the fact that she is a princess and everything would likely have been arranged years before she could even have a pet tiger. Also, when she runs away, she doesn't take any money or have any plans for what to do. Did she think at some point she would luck into life? Admittedly she's never left the palace but one assumes she knows that the guards work hard, that there is an outside world out there by way of reading or seeing deliveries, etc. It's not like she is 100% unaware that being a runaway princess cuts no dice with anyone, especially when she isn't a princess anymore, in her eyes.

Belle marries into the princess thing, and she rivals Ariel with being a self-centered bitch. Her entire opening song is bemoaning how everyone else in the town doesn't understand her or her love for reading and they just do the same thing every day, like bake and cook and sew and take care of kids, etc. It's So Sad they don't understand how wonderful books are! Meanwhile the rest of the village is working to loving survive the elements and most normal people don't treat the mysterious loner who finds wind-blown plastic bags beautiful that well. Belle and her dad don't seem to go out of their way to make friends with people either.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

cyberbug posted:

The minigun in Predator. They spent all the effort to get a working minigun in the movie, which is cool as hell, and then used a completely generic rat-tat-tat sound for it. WHAT THE gently caress? How hard would it have been to get the actual sound for it?

I don't know anything about guns, but I recall something about the minigun in Predator being slowed down to something like 1/3 its normal rotations per minute, because ordinarily to a layman it would just be an incomprehensible roaring blur. Maybe what you're hearing is an ordinary minigun with the firing rate severely reduced?

Livingston posted:

I know this is from the last page, but it's Kung Fu. Get it together man! :)
You're both right. Before he does the training programs he says, "Ju jitsu? I'm going to learn... ju jitsu?"
And then afterward he says, "I know kung fu," and Morpheus says, "Show me."

Post necromancy idgaf.

gnarlyhotep
Sep 30, 2008

by Lowtax
Oven Wrangler

Cubone posted:

You're both right. Before he does the training programs he says, "Ju jitsu? I'm going to learn... ju jitsu?"
And then afterward he says, "I know kung fu," and Morpheus says, "Show me."

THANK you. That's been bugging me but I didn't have time to skip through the movie to check it. My point stands...it was a total Keanu moment in both cases. He was almost Neo then he Keanu'ed it all up.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

FrancisYorkPatty posted:

God drat I'm an idiot. :doh:

To make matters worse, the original myth of Aladdin is indeed Middle Eastern in origin, altough it describes Aladdin himself as being "Chinese." Crazy, I know.

One of my biggest gripes is the microwave thingy in Batman Begins. If it's powerful enough to evaporate all the water in the sewers (and thus aerosolize the fear drug), it should also evaporate all the water in literally everyone around it. You know what happens when you put a hamster in a microwave oven? The same thing should have happened to Batman and Ras al Ghul.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

redjenova posted:

The whole premise doesn't really stand up to scrutiny.

Stop ruining my immersion! :argh:

Arkannoyed
Oct 31, 2003

If you're dissatisfied, disappear.
Do MST3K episodes count as movies? Because something's always bothered me a bit about the scene in "Horror at Party Beach" where Hank and Dr. Gavin are trying to figure out how to find the monsters. Earlier in the film they discover that sodium can destroy the monsters, so during this scene Mike and the bots keep going on about "Sodium!", "Why don't you try sodium?", etc. But the whole point of the scene is figuring out how to find the monsters, not how to kill them. You have to find something before you can kill it, after all. I know these are crappy movies but it hardly seems fair to criticize them for things they didn't get wrong.

Also, I was watching "Angels' Revenge" yesterday and noticed this: during the scamming-Jim-Backus scene, Maria refers to Terry as her "chauffeur." But since Terry is a woman (/arachnid), wouldn't she be a "chauffeuse"?

Coming back to the Toy Story conversation: in the scene where Woody rallies Syd's toys to save Buzz, he says something like "It'll mean breaking a few rules..." What are these rules? Who made them? How do all toys know to follow them?
(I agree it's not worth it to scrutinize this one too much. Just go with it.)

Lolitas Alright!
Sep 15, 2007

This is your friend.
She fights for your freedom.

Cowslips Warren posted:

Lots of the Disney princesses just needed to be smacked and reminded of how good they have it compared to, oh, ninety percent of the other girls in the area.

Jasmine wants to Marry For Love, despite the fact that she is a princess and everything would likely have been arranged years before she could even have a pet tiger. Also, when she runs away, she doesn't take any money or have any plans for what to do. Did she think at some point she would luck into life? Admittedly she's never left the palace but one assumes she knows that the guards work hard, that there is an outside world out there by way of reading or seeing deliveries, etc. It's not like she is 100% unaware that being a runaway princess cuts no dice with anyone, especially when she isn't a princess anymore, in her eyes.

I always saw it as her just being young and excited that "herp derp no guards are watching me but everything is exactly the same! :downs:" and sort of forgetting quite where she was. Like, she knows what money is, but she doesn't understand needing to hand it over to someone herself to purchase something; that stuff is done for her by other people.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
I'm not sure if this is irrational or not, but Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I mean the whole thing was only ever half a step away from unintentional operatic hilarity, but loving Theodore Logan wandering around trying to do an English Accent was just so awful. Just generally such an awful film.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Evfedu posted:

I'm not sure if this is irrational or not, but Keanu Reeves in Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I mean the whole thing was only ever half a step away from unintentional operatic hilarity, but loving Theodore Logan wandering around trying to do an English Accent was just so awful. Just generally such an awful film.

Believe it or not, it's the most faithful film to its literary source in history. Jonathan Harker is one of the most bland protagonists in literary history, and Keanu Reeves might have been the most perfect actor for the role. Here's some lampooning of the book, courtesy of Kate Beaton. See how much of it lines up with your memory of the film.

http://www.harkavagrant.com/index.php?id=285

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
Saw it years ago, then caught a bit of it the other night. The part where Gary Oldman is gnawing through the wall while Ted burbles through some lines with a terrible accent and offensive hair, then Dracula leaves, his shadow following several seconds after him. Then Keanu looks out the window and sees him crawling down the wall.

I'm not sure if it wasn't supposed to be funny, now I'm thinking about it. I've got the book free on Kindle so I should probably see if it stacks up.

Luminous Cow
Nov 2, 2007

Well you know there should be no law
on people that want to smoke a little dope.
Well you know it's good for your head
And it relax your body don't you know.

:420:
There's a movie called Grandma's Boy. It's a nerdy stoner comedy, and I love it to death just for being so absurd, but there's one scene that always takes me out of it. The main character, Alex (played by Allen Covert), and his co-workers, including his hot boss Samantha (played by Linda Cardellini), come to Alex's house, where he lives with his grandma and her two room mates. Grandma and her friends are acting really high, cut to Alex, Samantha, and a friend, discovering Alex's empty stash, with Alex lamenting over how his Grandma drank his pot.

Seems super funny. But then, Samantha reveals herself as a pot smoker using one of the worst line deliveries ever. It's just terrible. She tries to act super nonchalant, but comes off as trying way too hard. This is followed by another bit of bad acting, when Alex is obviously faking surprise. It was just so jarring in an otherwise fairly well done movie that these, like, maybe three lines are so poorly acted. Maybe it's just me being all :spergin:, but that one scene kills me every time I watch that movie.

E4C85D38
Feb 7, 2010

Doesn't that thing only
hold six rounds...?

Paper Diamonds posted:

There was a youtube video that I was trying to find that went like this;
Guy 1:"This looks like the end" *cocks pistol*
Guy 2:"Oh yeah?" *pumps shotgun*
Guy 1:"Looks like a stand off" *cocks pistol*
Guy 2:"What now?" *pumps shotgun*
Guy 1:*Cocks pistol*
Guy 2:*Pumps shotgun*
Camera zooms in as Guy 1 and Guy 2 continue cocking ad naseum.

I know I'm late as gently caress here, but it's a pretty good video, and it's 'Showdown' by the comedy duo Pete and Brian.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBSi8qC0tFA

Eclipse12
Feb 20, 2008

Vigilante Banana posted:

Additionally, Jonathan Larson died before any final tweaks could be made to the book. The show was out of its workshop stage, but it wasn't on Broadway yet; a lot can change between a show's off-Broadway and Broadway runs. The cast and crew were devastated by his death, and the production team made any cuts and changes very carefully and with Larson's original vision in mind as much as possible. Keeping in the "Mimi comes back to life" ending, as cliché and saccharine as it may be, was probably as much for the sake of the grieving cast and crew as it was to enforce the theme of "No Day But Today."

My biggest problem with Rent is that the lazy bohemian idiots refuse to get normal jobs then bitch about having to pay money to live someplace that they don't own.

"Why won't you let us live for free on your property, you monster?" :argh:

Blood Magnet
Nov 25, 2010

Farbtoner posted:

More concerning to me is that Woody is a half-century old and has been passed down through Andy's family for generations, yet he doesn't seem to have any memory of his life before Andy; He has no idea about Woody's Round-Up or any of the other toys from the show, and he doesn't show any knowledge of being owned by Andy's mom. It's almost as if the toys lose their memory every time they get a new owner.

Audio design is a hugely important part of film-making. Even though it's not accurate to real-life, squealing tires (and clicking guns, squeaking rats, etc) give the object a "presence". It's like how they mix milk or ink with fake rain to make it stand out more on film, movies have to present things differently.

I watch those movies several times a week with my son. Jesse in Toy Story 2 remembers her previous owner despite years in storage. Al should qualify as a new owner. Also, Lotso in Toy Story 3 also remembers his previous owner.

Something about Cars bugs me. They have an incredibly rigid caste system (If you are a semi truck, you have no other choice in life but to be a semi truck) that is fine if you are a race car, but not so much if you are a forklift. It makes me kind of sad to think of all the utility vehicles. Also, old people are represented by older model cars, so really new models should be children. Also, I may be thinking about it too much.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Also in TS3, Woody makes reference to the toys being played with again by Andy's kids, so they do understand some idea of being passed on. Presumably if Woody was Andy's mom's, he knows she doesn't really need toys anymore like she used to. It's possible that some decades after being put aside himself, he forgot the Roundup show or the mom as a kid never watched it.

Another Disney princess, but Rapunzel was kept in a tower pretty much all her life, and then finds out she is the missing princess, is reunited with her parents, becomes a queen. But we never hear of any breakdowns she has from leaving the tower forever, or grieving over the loss of her mother for pretty much most of her life. Suddenly surrounded by hundreds of people she is totally fine and never suffers from panic over having to deal with taxes or being a ruler.

Into The Woods dealt with those issues by having Rapunzul pretty much stark raving mad once she got out of the tower, becoming a screaming weeping mess who ran from her Gothel-mom and didn't live happily ever after.

And while Avatar The Last Airbender is pretty much all irritating, there are some key parts:

1. Princess Yue and Sokka are apparently in True Love. She dies, and he grieves for all of one minute. The next scene he is happy and cheering with everyone else without a sign of any emotion that she's gone.

2. The Earthbenders are sitting on loving DIRT and insist they can't bend earth because they'll get in trouble. In the show the captured Earthbenders were kept on a metal ship miles from any soil, so they literally couldn't bend to escape.

3. Zhao is supposed to be cunning, ruthless, and a douche. And he is. But he also explains every drat thing and assumes way too much to be so high in the military. See the Avatar only airbend? He must not know any other way! He couldn't possibly only be trying to escape rather than attack! Some masked guy takes the Avatar? It has to be the prince. No proof, he just knows.

And something from the actual show: despite the fact we never see anyone dressed as airbenders or the Water Tribe, the kids never change their clothing until the third season. It's not as if anyone would notice two Eskimos in thick robes wandering around with a kid in brightly colored orange and yellow robes.

Leovinus
Apr 28, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Kung Food posted:

What I don't get is why he targeted Zepp in the first place. Jigsaw's MO seemed to be to torture people who were just generally assholes, but Zepp was like the one guy who went out of his way to be nice to him in the hospital.

Zep was introverted, shy and awkward to the point of creepiness. Jigsaw forced him to become commanding and dominant or to die. It fits Jigsaw's MO - he didn't go after assholes, he went after people "missing a vital piece of the human puzzle". They often happened to be assholes, but not always. Zep's test was just unimaginative.

The bathroom trap my have been full of holes, but it sure as hell beat the trap gauntlets in movies 3 to 7.

Crimsonjewfro
Jul 12, 2008

I can't even afford an avatar

Cowslips Warren posted:

Presumably if Woody was Andy's mom's, he knows she doesn't really need toys anymore like she used to.

.......and here we have the plot for Sex Toy Story.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

FretforyourLatte posted:

I just bitched about exactly this the other day. Also what kind of father does she have that he allows his sixteen year old daughter to leave home forever and become a human to marry a man she has known for 3 loving days?

Ask a conservative father who just found out his kid is gay or trans!

SPOILERS FOR THE BOX:

There's a lot to hate about Richard Kelly's "The Box." I have SO many problems with that movie. But even with my issues with the plotting, concept, philosophy, etc., the end, where we learn that both the family before and the family after both had the button being pressed by the wife, stood out as blatantly misogynist.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Evfedu posted:

Dracula leaves, his shadow following several seconds after him.

This was intentional. Vampires don't cast shadows, so Dracula must generate one by artificial means and it's not all that accurate. I thought it was a nice touch anyway.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
The Box would have made a good short horror film or segment of an anthology. Everything that happens after the box is retrieved is just stupid. It's like they made a movie that could only be about forty-five minutes long and just made up the next hour or so as they went along.

Eh! Frank
Mar 28, 2006

Doctor gave me these, I said what are these?
He said that they'll cure an existential type disease

Zombie Pirate posted:

Mulan (this supposedly badass chick who has won the favour of the emperor) gets home and is sad because she _still needs a husband to make her life complete_. What kind of a message is that to send to your target audience (of little girls)?
It's been a little while since I've seen it, but I didn't think she was sad because she needed/wanted a husband, but was emotional because she was seeing her father for the first time since running away to join the army. The captain shows up and professes his love or whatever, sure, but that just shows that men go for strong, intelligent women.

I may just be remembering wrong, but I never got the impression that she was sad because she needed a man to complete her life.

To contribute, I love The Prestige but I *hate* the cat meowing. Using stock sounds doesn't always bug me, but it sounded like they just stuck the same two 'meows' clips on repeat. Sounded very very fake.

Vigilante Banana
Jul 28, 2010

Low five! Yaaaaaay

Eclipse12 posted:

My biggest problem with Rent is that the lazy bohemian idiots refuse to get normal jobs then bitch about having to pay money to live someplace that they don't own.

"Why won't you let us live for free on your property, you monster?" :argh:

Yeah, that actually bugs me a lot too. At one point Mark actually has the chance to have a real job doing what he loves to do, but he ends up rejecting the job because he doesn't want to be a sellout. Which is great and all, stick to your guns, buddy, except that his passion is filmmaking. So he wants to become a famous filmmaker, but he doesn't actually want to go through the available channels to do so. And yet, everyone's still pissed that "no one wants to pay me for my aaaaaaaart :negative: "

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Ambiguatron posted:

The Box would have made a good short horror film or segment of an anthology. Everything that happens after the box is retrieved is just stupid. It's like they made a movie that could only be about forty-five minutes long and just made up the next hour or so as they went along.

Not only that, but the entire point of the classic situation is thrown out. It goes from, "can you live with the guilt of what you've done" to "don't do bad things or God, or at least angelic aliens from the Ron Serling dimension will punish you." But that's less of an irritating movie moment then an irritating movie premise.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Eh! Frank posted:

It's been a little while since I've seen it, but I didn't think she was sad because she needed/wanted a husband, but was emotional because she was seeing her father for the first time since running away to join the army. The captain shows up and professes his love or whatever, sure, but that just shows that men go for strong, intelligent women.

I may just be remembering wrong, but I never got the impression that she was sad because she needed a man to complete her life.

To contribute, I love The Prestige but I *hate* the cat meowing. Using stock sounds doesn't always bug me, but it sounded like they just stuck the same two 'meows' clips on repeat. Sounded very very fake.

Nope, the Mulan husband grief came in the sequel. Yes. Apparently the old Emperor has three daughters that need to be married and of course Mulan and her intended and their three old goon friends take the girls off to be married. We can see what happens a mile away: the fat one, the thin one, and the nasty one-eyed guy all fall for each of the princesses and they decry that they want to be like normal girls and marry for love.

Despite the fact this is loving Imperial China and almost everything was done by matchmaker. Mulan does act upset when finding out that OMG princesses have political marriages. And in the end of course gently caress politics, no weddings take place save to your true love you've known all of a week.

Mulan 2 is pretty much Mulan if the Lifetime channel directed it.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Yeah, well it was a DTV Disney sequel back in the late 90s. poo poo was pandemic with shoddy work.

Malaleb
Dec 1, 2008

Vigilante Banana posted:

Yeah, that actually bugs me a lot too. At one point Mark actually has the chance to have a real job doing what he loves to do, but he ends up rejecting the job because he doesn't want to be a sellout. Which is great and all, stick to your guns, buddy, except that his passion is filmmaking. So he wants to become a famous filmmaker, but he doesn't actually want to go through the available channels to do so. And yet, everyone's still pissed that "no one wants to pay me for my aaaaaaaart :negative: "

That, and then the movie he makes is essentially a montage of home movie clips. The other part of Rent that bugs me is when Angel sings about murdering his neighbor's dog. And this is supposed to be a likable character that all of the characters love?!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Pagan posted:

That shootout in Heat is incredible. It's a great example of how keeping things realistic can still make it cool. That's an irritation I have with a lot of movies : X is cool enough, why'd you have to fake it?

Or people cocking guns in general. Racking a shotgun is the worst thing. It means they didn't have it loaded and ready to shoot in the first place! Why would you menace and threaten someone with what is essentially an unloaded gun?

Speaking of Heat, there's a part where Al Pacino shoots Tom Sizemore's character right in the center of his forehead while he has a hostage. Isn't that completely action movie? I don't think a cop would ever shoot someone with a hostage, and as I recall the hostage was a kid he was holding up right next to his own head, that's just stupid, he'd probably get suspended or fired for that.

Christmas Jones
Apr 12, 2007

nuklear fizzicist

Malaleb posted:

That, and then the movie he makes is essentially a montage of home movie clips. The other part of Rent that bugs me is when Angel sings about murdering his neighbor's dog. And this is supposed to be a likable character that all of the characters love?!

Angel's gender identity always confused me. S/he doesn't appear to make any claim towards a trans label, but I've met quite a few drag queens and haven't known any that are in drag nearly that often. I've read posts on the forum from people who liked to straddle gender lines, but that was usually for social comfort or political reasons, and Angel doesn't seem to have issues with either. I suppose that for any possible gender bending lifestyle there's at least one person in New York that does it, but the fact that Angel didn't gel with anyone I'd met from the GLBT community niggles at me.

Worse is that even in a musical about alternative lifestyles, it's STILL the gender transgressor and therefore the "queerest" that gets to die.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Cowslips Warren posted:

And while Avatar The Last Airbender is pretty much all irritating, there are some key parts:

1. Princess Yue and Sokka are apparently in True Love. She dies, and he grieves for all of one minute. The next scene he is happy and cheering with everyone else without a sign of any emotion that she's gone.

In the show he mentions it several times and gets weird around other girls on occasion because he blames himself for her death. Unless you're talking about the movie which was the distilled essence of poo poo movie making.

quote:

And something from the actual show: despite the fact we never see anyone dressed as airbenders or the Water Tribe, the kids never change their clothing until the third season. It's not as if anyone would notice two Eskimos in thick robes wandering around with a kid in brightly colored orange and yellow robes.

In season two doesn't Aang try the "I'm the Avatar" schtick to get ferry tickets, only to be shown that the official sees a dozen guys in Avatar costumes daily? Also there's a bunch of Water Tribe fighters running around and doing raids off screen. Appa would be a dead giveaway, but being one of the handful of people that can just fly around probably makes the kids hard to track or keep up with.

quote:

I'm not sure if it wasn't supposed to be funny, now I'm thinking about it. I've got the book free on Kindle so I should probably see if it stacks up.

Stacking up next to the novel is kinda weird for Dracula. The reason everyone's holding journals and newspapers in the Kate Beacon comic is that instead of traditional narrative it's written as a collection of journal excerpts and newspaper articles.

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Spider-Man 2. There's the scene where he's headed to Mary Jane's play and is nearly hit by a car while riding his moped. He then calls Mary Jane the next day and babbles some crap about the mean usher. Why doesn't he just say "Hey, my moped was hit by a car. I almost died. There are moped parts all over my house. Quit being a bitch."?

It's not like he has to say "My moped was hit by a car and I'M SPIDERMAN," he could get away with just saying the other part.

Van Dis
Jun 19, 2004

DocFrance posted:

One of my biggest gripes is the microwave thingy in Batman Begins. If it's powerful enough to evaporate all the water in the sewers (and thus aerosolize the fear drug), it should also evaporate all the water in literally everyone around it. You know what happens when you put a hamster in a microwave oven? The same thing should have happened to Batman and Ras al Ghul.

My gripe is similar: turning on the ~microwave emitter/water vaporizer~ while on a god drat ship in the middle of the ocean should have vaporized the seawater in a given radius, and the cargo ship would have "fallen" to the ocean floor, vaporizing water in a sphere around it all the way down.

Bargain bin Laden
Nov 2, 2006

See how pathetic I am?

d3c0y2 posted:

That voyager episode were Tuvok's brainwashing from the Marquis activates and he ends up brainwashing all the Marquis members. Then he ends up in the brig before he can activate them in turn.

In the brig they leave his comm badge with him (even though when Paris goes into the brig a season earlier they take his away) and then whilst Janeway is questioning him he sends a message to Chakotay.

janeway instead of immediately ordering Chakotay contained until they can work out what the message did, spends 5 minutes questioning Tuvok "what did you just tell Chakotay to do" as Chakotay wanders around the ship activating all the other Brainwashed members (The doctor, even though he says his readings are off the charts, just lets him wander around and do this as well)

Janeways meant to be a Smart Captain, but she seems to forget all protocol this episode to make the story work (Even protocol she has demonstrated in previous episodes) its lazy story telling.

This reminded me of The Next Gen episode where they find Scotty... In the end, Scotty's ship needs to be sacrificed so they can exit the Dyson Sphere, but they beam him through the shields which are holding the door open.

Okay, so they probably had his shield's frequency or something similar...why was that the only time that actually worked though? I can remember dozens of times friendly shields needed to be dropped for beam out, including from the beaming ships own shuttles.

Schlinky
Mar 12, 2009

...Too much drink.
All this gun talk just reminded me of Snatch. When Boris kills off Frankie Four-Fingers, before doing so he turns off his hearing aid. Furthermore, when Vinnie and Sol test out their guns, the noise is so loud they end up breaking their car windows.

Also on Heat, one of the cool things about the final confrontation is that by this point, DeNiro and Pacino have already done their 'talk', so when they face each other, it's done in relative silence. I think, haven't seen it in a while. I think I'll go watch those two films again, pretty fun to watch.

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Cowslips Warren posted:

This happens in all sort of films.
:clint: Bad news, kid. Your entire family have just been slaughtered.
:( That makes me very sad *sniffle*
:clint: If we hurry, we can get the bad guy and save the world.
:) Okay, I'm over it now. Let's go!

I imagine it would be tricky to make the film if major characters were crippled by grief, but people do always seem to get over death pretty much instantly.

Cristatus
Apr 23, 2010

Christmas Jones posted:

There's a lot to hate about Richard Kelly's "The Box." I have SO many problems with that movie. But even with my issues with the plotting, concept, philosophy, etc., the end, where we learn that both the family before and the family after both had the button being pressed by the wife, stood out as blatantly misogynist.

That twigged me, too, but it didn't surprise me. The Box was based on a Richard Matheson short story. Matheson, whether because he was doing most of his writing in the 50s and 60s or just because that's the way he is, seems to lean towards whiny, weak, ineffective and generally annoying female characters. It's pretty maddening, because he has some good ideas and he's had a lot of influence on modern horror and sci-fi. But yeah, every female character he writes is awful.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Fantasmo posted:

Ock already knew he was Spider-Man but wanted to fight Spider-Man legit (in costume, not some nerd). He knew Peter would survive the car-through-the-window, really he was trying to kill his girl and piss him off.

Later when Spidey takes off his mask and Octavius is all surprized to see Parker, it's because he has reverted back to "good" Otto Octavius. Only the evil Doctor Octupus side of his mind knew it was Parker before.

Can I get a no-prize?

Where did you get that idea? Harry says he'll give Ock the tridium if he delivers Spider-Man. Ock asks how to find him, and Harry says "Parker, he takes pictures of Spider-Man for the Bugle - make him tell you where he is."

The next time we see Ock, he's throwing the car at Peter. There's nothing in there to indicate what you said actually happened.

Farbtoner
May 17, 2011

by Y Kant Ozma Post

theironjef posted:

Spider-Man 2. There's the scene where he's headed to Mary Jane's play and is nearly hit by a car while riding his moped. He then calls Mary Jane the next day and babbles some crap about the mean usher. Why doesn't he just say "Hey, my moped was hit by a car. I almost died. There are moped parts all over my house. Quit being a bitch."?

It's not like he has to say "My moped was hit by a car and I'M SPIDERMAN," he could get away with just saying the other part.

I don't know if you watched a TV edit or something, but in the movie he's late to the play and the usher (played by Bruce Campbell!) refuses to let him in because the play has already started. It's an entire scene.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
There were a lot of things wrong with Spider-man 3. The symbiote that he took off like some sort of suit, the dancing scene, etc. But the part I hated the most, more than anything, was how much of a giant bitch Mary Jane was.

There's one scene I remember in particular, where she's complaining about a bad review someone gave her, and she says something like "You don't know how hard this is!" to Peter. Who she knows is Spider-man.

Are you joking? Bitch, you are talking to a guy who had to kill his best friend's father, who has to risk his life every loving day to save people's lives, is constantly berated and treated like a criminal because of it (granted, from a small portion of the populace only), and on top of all that, needs to keep a steady photography job to pay the bills while going to university. But oh no you got a bad review, wah wah wah.

What a bitch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dinozombiesgoRARR
Dec 25, 2010

Momma said knock you out

Morpheus posted:

There's one scene I remember in particular, where she's complaining about a bad review someone gave her, and she says something like "You don't know how hard this is!" to Peter. Who she knows is Spider-man.

Are you joking? Bitch, you are talking to a guy who had to kill his best friend's father, who has to risk his life every loving day to save people's lives, is constantly berated and treated like a criminal because of it (granted, from a small portion of the populace only), and on top of all that, needs to keep a steady photography job to pay the bills while going to university. But oh no you got a bad review, wah wah wah.

What a bitch.

Having known and worked with and even lived with various thespians I can tell you that this was in no way an inaccurate portrayal.

• Locked thread