Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Turbolasers are meant for hitting capital ships, not small snubfighters. In the shots with the models, it looks like the ships are just moving straight forward, but when it shows Vader's targeting HUD, they're moving about. Still, it's much easier for the TIEs to hit tham than the turbolasers.
They also have deflector shields. There are particle shields and ray shields. Particle shields are meant to deflect phsyical objects whereas ray shields deflect energy. Small craft, such as the X-Wing, usually have the latter. When they start the trench run, they "Switch all power to front deflector screens."
:goonsay:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I watched Transformers 3 last night. Ignoring the fact that it's a lovely movie with no characters I care about, there were a number of things that irrationally irritated me:

The former Sector 7 dude saying "World War 2 is over!" to the cosmonauts. The gently caress? This dude is a crazy conspiracy theorist who used to work for a secret government agency, but he's doesn't know we were allies with the Soviets in WW2? He loving grew up during the cold war.

Optimus saying "We wanted your government to see that the Decepticons will never leave your planet alone!" That sounds like something a fifth grader would say. How did no editor read that and say "Change 'alone' to 'in peace'. It's still a lame line, but ugh. Just ugh.

What happens to John Malkovich? His character had no point. I know he's a throwaway that's just meant to give Sam the info that makes him realize some people are working for the Decepticons. But they spent too much time on a character of such little importance just to have him jizz his pants at the site of Bumblebee then leave. Everyone I've talked to who say the movie completely forgot he was in there.

What is the point of Flying into Chicago on the Ospreys? Why would you fly into the city when it's surrounded by robots that tear everything you have apart like tissue paper? Sam and a group of former soldiers make it all the way in without doing it, and they show more soldiers coming in through the river. Why not do a HALO jump if you're going to come in from the air?

Blonde Megan Fox Talking to Megatron and getting him to kill Sentinel. She is a completely new character with no knolwedge of the transformers outside of what Sam's told her and the ten minutes she's seen them. But she knows enough about them to convince Megatron to betray Sentinel?

That leads me into the next one of Megatron not planning to betray Sentinel to begin with. Just like it's completely out of character for Optimus to kill Sentinel rather than spare him, Megatron should have planned to betray him to begin with. It's what his character would do; betray and kill Autobots.

Every time Optimus talked about freedom, I wanted to shout "AMERICA! gently caress YEAH!"

You could clearly see explosions at the base of the tower Sam and the coldiers were in. Chicago was an inside job.

I'll admit that I liked the actions scenes (despite no emotional investment in the characters) because you could actually see what's going on. I knew I wouldn't like the movie as a whole, though, and it brought out way more frustration than I expected. gently caress you, Michael Bay. gently caress you.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

RagnarokAngel posted:

I'd avoid Michael Bay's catalog because the well is bottomless on this poo poo just FYI.

I would have, but I told my GF I'd watch Shia LeBouf movies with her. She came home last night and said "Guess what I rented!" My response was "poo poo..."
I think I was more pissed at the movie than I'd normally be because I promised not to openly mock it while it was playing.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Maybe they shouldn't have been working for Michael Bay.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Stuff like the Wilhelm scream isn't really irritating to me. I actually find it hilarious when they use generic sounds in high budget productions.
There's an episode in season 1 of Heroes where the cheerleader is running out of the school screaming. They used the female version of the Wilhelm scream (no idea what it's called) and I busted up laughing for a good few minutes.
All I could think of was the movie Werewolf that MST3K riffed. The same scream was used in the scene where Pawl (who es a wurrwilf) is "attacking" a woman who falls in some mud.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Let's not forget the generic, happy laughter of children playing. Anyone who's played Diddy Kong Racing knows what I'm talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_l_YX_MUg&feature=related

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Coach may be fine with seeing them, but what about the night janitor?
Some seniors who graduated in '04 came back a month or so before our graduation ('05) and spray painted the standard "2004 rulez fagts!" stuff around the parking lot, windows, etc. The night janitor showed up, saw their cars, saw the students locked the gate at the entrance and called the cops.
He did it to some students that drove to the school parking lot to do it in their car. Why they chose there, I'm not sure.

Star Wars Episode IV. I understand Luke is the main character and all. I can see letting him pilot an X-Wing with a reference from his friend, but why make him leader of the final attack group on the Death Star after Red 1 dies? Shouldn't Biggs or Wedge be leading?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Hair and motorcycle helmets. How is everyone's hair always perfect after taking their helmet off? I have to go to the bathroom and fix it when I get to work. Either I'm doing something wrong, or those bastards have magic hair gel.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
If I have to spend 10 minutes extra in front of the mirror that could be spent sleeping, gently caress it, I'll take the work sink.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Trent posted:

Spared no expense

Thanks, Hammond, now we'll have to deal with giant scorpions, too.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
My apartment has been plagued with The Vampire Diaries as of late. Ignoring all the generic, stupid stuff that such a show entails, my irritation is the vampires acting like teens. They're centuries old but haven't matured beyond the age of 16, at best.
I know it would make the sure pointless to the target demographic if the vampires actually acted like they were 500 years old, but gently caress it's annoying.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It'd be like me having a relationship with a cow. "Yes, you are food to me, but when I look into those soulful eyes I realize that you are indeed a special snowflake that has only appeared to me once before in my 5 millennial long existence. I also will someday slaughter you and feast on your innards, but that day won't happen for at least a week or two..."

Same thing with werewolves. Somehow "Oh you change into a wild animal! I love you!" is ok, but the logic process of "Will probably eat me, if not just poo poo on the floor during the full moon and piss all over the house" never seems to really pop up in fiction.

No, man, you see, he only drinks animal blood, not human blood! :rolleye: So go vegan and gently caress all the cows you want!

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

hermyownee posted:

Furthering the whole accents thing, the americanised version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo has literally the entire cast doing at least a passable swedish accent bar Daniel Craig, the actor who has the most lines, who makes no attempt whatsoever.

I enjoyed the movie, but Daniel Craig's accent made me wince constantly.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

The Duke of Ben posted:

I actually think that this is why the prequels get a bad rap, without as much cause as we give them.

They really rate around the same level as most big budget films that expect wide excitement. Yes, we can certainly point to a couple of specifics like Jar-Jar or 3PO, or the acting of Anakin, but the movies are pretty good overall.

Outside of the expectations and hype, a lot less people would have been bothered by the flaws in the movies. If there never had been a 4, 5, or 6, these movies would have been moderately successful sci-fi action movies. Instead, they were very successful movies that still managed to make a lot of people upset.

Also, arguably, the success of the originals made Lucas' head too big and he thought his more stupid ideas weren't as stupid. Minus those really dumb ideas, the movies are actually quite good. I wouldn't call them genius, but still quite good.

Except the prequils are legitimately bad movies. The Red Letter Media reviews point out why, and not from a "THEY RUINED STAR WARS!" perspective.

There are a few "Ruined Star Wars" moments ("Ruining the lightsaber" comes to mind) but Plinkett actually gives very good reasoning as to why the movies suck.
-No main character
-No character development/arcs
-Characters are all stupid and make idiotic decisions
-Pointless action scenes we don't care about because we have no emotional investment in the characters
-Plot makes no sense
-Everything looks fake (save for Episode I, as it wasn't shot in front of a green screen)
-Lucas can't write a character story to save his life
-The tone constantly changes
-Boring, shot/reverse shot dialogue
-We're told everything and shown nothing
-No sense of any emotion in any scene (with few exceptions)
-Too many children
-A cartoon rabbit that steps in the poopy
-Too much "borrowing" from the original trilogy to make up for shortcomings
-Unbelievable romance
-"It rhymes. It's like poetry. Hopefully it will work."
-A script that was taken off of a first draft on a legal pad; "They're already building sets! I better get working on this script!"
-"It's so dense. There's so much going on in every scene." What is it with Ricks?

The movies actually suck.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Poop Delicatessen posted:

Not in Phantom Menace.

Hardly in AOTC, either; he sits around for half the movie with Padme being angsty and levitating fruit. Obi Wan is actually doing things, sort of. No clear protagonist is identified.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

The Duke of Ben posted:

I could take the time to go through each, but it's not worth it.

I will say this about "Main character" though, who was the main character in episodes 4, 5, and 6? Hint: there are several, just as with the prequels.

All the characters in the OT had clear objectives (not to mention character development). That being said, Luke is clearly established as the main character for the trilogy at the beginning of Episode IV.
He knows just as much about the force/Jedi as we do and we learn along with him.

Waterworld is awesome because it's so bad. The PT is just bad. The funny thing is, there's an actual plot and some amount of character development in WW.

Why is the Trade Federation blockading Naboo? "Space taxes/trade dispute" doesn't cut it. Even a boring line of exposition would explain their reasoning.
We don't know what Naboo has that the Federation wants, why they're working with Sidious, what the "treaty" is or their motivations for anything they do.
Why doesn't the Supreme Chancellor believe the Jedi who he sent to negotiate with the Federation because it was blockading the planet when they don't return in the ship they left in and the queen of the planet is with them saying "Yeah, man, the Feds invaded."
What would've happened if Amidala signed the treaty? It's never explained what it is or why Sidious wants it signed so badly. What's the point of making the occupation "legal"?
Sidious orchestrated the whole crisis to get into power. It can be assumed he figured that Amidala wouldn't sign the treaty and flee to Coruscant, playing the Nemoidians for fools the entire time. How did he know she'd do just that? "The Forcetm told him" is a total loving copout.
Qui Gon's actions make no sense whatsoever, and the only explanation is "The Forcetm willed it."
Why does he not go to a different shop when he can't mind trick Watto? Watto says he's the only one with the hyperdrive, but he's a swindling junk dealer. Of course he's going to say that.
Why does the council not send more Jedi back with Gin and Kenobi?
Why does Kenobi, whose been leery of Gin's stance that "He is The Chosen One" since they met Anakin, suddenly go against everything he's done in the movie (besides sit on the ship) and train him. From "He's dangerous. Everyone sees it. Why can't you?" to "I promised Master Gin! To hell with the council!"
Same goes with the council: They refuse to train him and agree that there is "grave danger" in his future. Oh well, Obi Wan said he's going to train him no matter what! May as well let him in!

Should I go on?

The Duke of Ben posted:

If you assume that what happened in the end was Palpatine's plan, then yes, sending Darth Maul to the planet doesn't make sense.

But, what happened was against his plan, and forced him to change ploys. His original plan was much more direct in order to propel him into leadership earlier. He certainly had a backup plan in case his first didn't work out, though. He'd have to be a Skeletor level bad guy to be foiled so easily.

His "plan" is never explained, though. poo poo just happens, everyone's a moron, he's in power, Vader ends up the in the suit. The end.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Okay, I'll stop. I'll just end with:
Go to http://www.redlettermedia.com and watch the Star Wars reviews. They're almost longer than the movies, but actually entertaining.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Lady of the Beech posted:

Thing that bothers me in a film:

Ring + Eagles --> Mordor

I'm sure there's a good explanation, but why didn't they?

I think it's been brought up before, but there were the dragons the Nazgul rode and a whole poo poo load of orcs that could fire arrows at the eagles.
Anyone read the books know if it's explained? Didn't the eagle give no shits about the goings on of man? Only after Gandalf said "Bitches help me out here!" did they do anything?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Wait people are still defending the prequels? Look, George, the movies suck, deal with it. Pretty much everything makes no sense and the characters are flat. Can we move on?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Not all of us deal with movies as we would glasses of well-aged, fine wine. I liked the prequels, because apparently I don't have half as many high standards as this thread. Can we please move the hell on to another topic to bitch about?

Right, because a plot that makes sense and characters that aren't cardboard are something only movie connoisseurs, such as myself, care about.

E: And you know what? It's not about whether or not you liked the prequels; they're still lovely movies. They've got lovely acting, directing, story, etc. A million lightsabers shooting out of Natalie Portman's vagina and eviscerating Jar-Jar wouldn't put Episode 1, 2 or 3 anywhere near the greatest movies ever made.
Cool, you like them. That's awesome. You get entertainment out of something. I like watching Wicker Man. Is that a good movie? gently caress no. It's probably one of the worst movies ever made.
Someone liking something does not make it good. Look at all the ICP fans out there.

its all nice on rice has a new favorite as of 01:12 on Feb 19, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Deep Blue Sea is an entertaining enough movie if you just roll with it, but the opening scene makes me :rolleyes: to the nth degree: there are some folks on a catamaran in the the middle of the night. One of them knocks over a bottle of red wine and there's a *BOOM* of bass. You know something's going to happen, and you just can't suspend your disbelief for it.
I can let the sharks getting more intelligent and the general premise of the movie slide, but red wine attracting a shark because it looks like blood in the water? Nope. Sorry.

E: Pandorum. Watched this with a friend a while back and we still make fun of it every now and then. I wanted (the beginning of) Event Horizon, "trapped on a space ship" horror. I got poo poo. I laugh every time I think of the end where it turns out they were on the planet the entire time, just under water It reminds me of a quote from Futurama (spoilered as not to ruin the previous spoiler):
"How much pressure can the ship take?!"
"Well, it's a space ship, so I'd say between 0 and 1."

its all nice on rice has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Feb 21, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

angrytech posted:

I haven't seen the movie so I don't know if it explains this, but in the book the hero of the story hypothesizes that the sphere is designed to eliminate any sentient creatures that aren't able to overcome their violent nature, while allowing the peaceful ones to survive. Kind of a way to keep enlightened species from being wiped out by warlike races or something.

It's not. They just sort of figure out that the sphere creates things from their subconscious.

E: If that's the sphere's purpose, though, it seems kind of silly for it to just float away when the people who came into contact with it go "Let's just forget!"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

angrytech posted:

Book interpretation incoming: It's not a "subconscious thing though, the Sphere brings your conscious thoughts into reality. The logic being that if as a species we are constantly thinking violent things, then we are probably acting on those thoughts too. At the end when they all willed the sphere out of existence, it was simply gone, saving humanity from certain destruction because humans would inevitably try to use it in order to gain power and hurt others. If the movie didn't explain that, or it did some bullshit where the sphere "floated away" then that's a completely legitimate irritation. I've noticed that Crichton's books don't translate amazingly to movies, but just well enough that they pull in audiences. The Jurassic Park/Lost World books were way better than the movies too.

From what I remember, that explanation's not in the movie. It manifests what everyone's afraid of: jellyfish; sea snakes; giant squid; etc. When they're in the pressure tank at the end, Dustin Hoffman basically says "Let's just agree to forget about it!" and as they all sit in a little meditation circle, or whatever, the sphere rushes to the surface and flies off into space the end.

E: I really need to go back and read Jurassic Park again, though.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
E: Regarding The Thing-

Macready clearly isn't The Thing because in the video game he shows up in a helicopter to help you defeat it!:haw:

vv:rolleyes:

its all nice on rice has a new favorite as of 19:33 on Apr 20, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
This is probably the most irrationally irritating thing:
In Clue, Colonel Mustard says "...when I lost my mommy and daddy." Why can't he just say "mother and father"?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Supreme Allah posted:

Are you trying to make the Colonel look foolish in front of the other guests? CLUE is the best movie ever written or made; The most singular and peak achievement in the genre I am not being facetious. I love it like those Japanese guys who love and marry their pillows. Gonna put a ring on CLUE.

A Colonel shouldn't say "mommy and daddy" :colbert: I agree, though, Clue is one of the greastest movies ever made.

I wish I had the version with the alternate endings. Maybe my parents still have their DVD which does.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

DrBouvenstein posted:

2) How the slutty friend dies. Ok, it's stated in the movie that most of the time, they abduct these girls, and in the process of "breaking them," they get them addicted to drugs so that they are less likely to be resist the poo poo done to them, and more likely to stay so they can keep getting their fix. But then the friend dies from what is supposed to be a drug overdose, right? The sex-trade people have had her for less than two days at this point! It can't be very good business practice to get your sex-slaves killed in such a short amount of time. In theory, they'd be good enough at this to be able to easily give her just enough heroin (or what it is) to get her to very passive and addicted, and not just straight up let her OD. But again...gotta drill into those teenagers head just how dangerous having sex is.

This reminds me of District B13: the protagonist's sister is captured by The Baddie and constantly drugged up on, I believe, heroin. She was hosed up most of the time, but attempted to fight back occasionnally. I felt like they did a good job with it. Then again, I know dick when it comes to drugs.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I got the same vibe from Knocked Up. There's one character who tells him to suggest an abortion "smasmortion" but it's quickly disregarded as not being a viable option and never considered by anyone else.
They should make a How It Should Have Ended for both of those movies:
"I'm pregnant."
"What are we going to do?"
"Neither of us are in a position to take care of, let alone raise, a child. I'm getting an abortion."
*vaccum*
*fin*

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Henchman of Santa posted:

I really don't think either of those movies are anti-abortion. They just needed to further the plot.

It's all how it's presented. Whether or not it was the intent of the movie makers, that's still how it comes across. Think back to the huge argument about whether or not 300 was racist based on its portrayal of the Persians and Greeks. The white people were fighting for freedom and justice while those darkies were savages who wanted to conquer everything (to put it simply).
In Juno, you have the cold, cramped abortion clinic with an uncaring staff along with a young anti-abortion protester outside. The protester is calm and concerned, talking about how the fetus is already developing certain parts. Contrast that with actual protesters you see outside a Planned Parenthood: old white people; enlarged photos of chopped up fetuses; lots of shouting. As has been pointed out, she has no maternal feelings for it and doesn't want to see it after it's been born. There's no logical or even emotional reason for her to carry the pregnancy to term. Yeah, it's a movie, and they needed to hand-wave the option somehow, but they did it poorly.
"You may not have noticed, but your brain did."

its all nice on rice has a new favorite as of 16:06 on May 15, 2012

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

Aside from the fact that a huge chunk of the movie is based around him getting a job and an apartment, and being less of a fat unemployed loser?

I will say that, from a romcom perspective, they did a good job of actually having characters grow. He realizes that he's a lazy piece of poo poo that's going nowhere and decides to turn himself around. It's not your standard "We had a fight over something stupid so I am leaving you oh you came to my sister's wedding and said you love me I love you let's get married the end!" bullshit with no character developement.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Everyone in the X-Files really needs to upgrade the lighting in their homes and offices.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I loved Prometheus, especially on the IMAX screen. I was able to look past a few inconsitencies here and there. The one thing that bothered me was when Janek comes back in and talks to Shaw about how the place is a bio-weapon factory/storage facility. He got all that from Charlie going zombie on them all? No one knew what he was infected with. It could have been anything.

Regarding David infecting Charlie: I see it as him experimenting. He's seeing what happens when this freaky black stuff is introduced to an oragnic. You can tell he's got some amount of contempt for the guy and has no qualms with anything happening to him. As far as he's concerned, everyone is expendable.
In all the Alien movies, the Weyland corp wants the Xenos for military purposes. It's not too far fetched to assume that along with Weyland himself wanting to literally "meet his maker", the corporation charged David, or even Meredith, with finding something they could create weapons with.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Captain Matchbox posted:

More Promethius chat regarding that U-shaped ship:
at the end when it crashes into the planet, it slowly starts rolling along its long winged edge towards the 2 women that are left on the ground, they both elect to try run a distance equal to the length of the ship to avoid getting crushed by it instead of turning 90 degrees and running a shorter distance equal only to the height of the ship.

They don't have a very good frame of reference for the direction the ship was going. There are explosions and poo poo everywhere, not to mention uneven terrain. Shaw turns away from it and still would've been crushed if not for that rock. Remember, everyone in this movie is stupid and does stupid things/dies in stupid ways, just like in a campy horror movie. That, and Vickers had sex with a black guy, so she has to be crushed by a giant, black phallus.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Malachite_Dragon posted:

It's supposed to be a satire? Maybe I just came in at the worst possible time during the movie, but those two characters actively repulsed me from it.

Don't worry; my friends and I thought the same thing as you when we watched it. If it's satire, it's way too over the top.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
That always annoys me, too. The thing that makes Psych bearable for me, though, is that it's pretty tongue-in-cheek. They constantly make fun of all the other "psychic" detective shows.
Monk has to be the most enjoyable. Dude's crazy, but he's good. Chief knows it, but still has to act like a hardass.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Your Gay Uncle posted:

How did that big fat black guy get to the top of that mountain where all the Oracles lived? He doesn't look like he would be a very good climber.

Leonidas didn't see the stairs on the other side.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Cowslips Warren posted:

I know Prometheus is full of them, but what got me the most was how loving worthless the scientists were. Take off the helmets! Poke poo poo! Touch things! Take an alien body part and jab it with electricity! I know to expect some fiction in sci-fi but there's stupid and then there are the physics of the SW prequels and the scientific minds in Prometheus.

You haven't read SMG's review, have you?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Tiggum posted:

Does he have a website or a blog or something or has anyone else collected his reviews somewhere? Because I've seen a couple in the quotes thread and I would love to read more, but without digging through a billion irrelevant forum posts.

Not that I know of. Unless someone has a better option, the best you can do is troll CD for his reviews.

Regarding Prometheus: I watched it with both commentaries. The first is just Ridley Scott and the other was with the two lead writers. They intentionally left out a lot because they wanted it to be vague and open.
Case in point is the opening scene: There were going to be a bunch of engineers there, one of them actually talking to the dude who drinks the goo, providing exposition.

As for SMG and Prometheus: the whole movie is a comedy-horror. Think about how everyone dies:
The engineer with 'pups' that map the entire temple gets lost.
The biologist gets killed by an a new lifeform.
Vickers sleeps with a black dude and gets crushed by a giant, black phallus.
Holloway is toppled by his own hubris. It's not funny, but a standard trope.
Then there's the very end: We've gone the whole movie without seeing an actual Xenomorph, so we get 30 seconds of one in a "should be at the end of the credits but here it is right before" shot.
Almost everything these "scientists" do is pretty dumb and classic horror movie stuff.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Farbtoner posted:

The entire message of Prometheus is that there are no easy answers re: existence and if we ever met our creators their motivations and actions would be completely incomprehensible to us, in that context having a zillion-dollar space expedition fall to pieces because of people making simple dumb mistakes feels intentional rather than the result of bad writing.

The writers' commentary during the scene where they awaken the engineer was something along the lines of "Imagine you've been asleep for 2,000 years. When you went to sleep, everyone around you was dieing, and you had a mission to go to this planet & wipe out the life you made there. Now you're awake, everyone else is dead, and there are, what amount to, chimps hooting, hollering and pointing weapons at you. What are you going to do?"
Funny thing, though, is that they rewrote that scene. Originally, David has a conversation with him. They ask where he came from, and David says the closest word in English is "Paradise". I forget what sets him off, but he still goes neck-breaky on them shortly after that.

E: And a question if often see/hear asked regards the beginning when the engineer drinks the black goo and we eventually get to red blood cells. "Did they create life from nothing??" Answer: The black goo evolves/mutates any life that it comes into contact with. It doesn't create life from nothing.

its all nice on rice has a new favorite as of 19:05 on Jan 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Polygon Pete posted:

In Promethius the thing that annoys me the most is that in the first main scene it is explained that some cave paintings that the two main characters discover (which is the main reason for them traveling to the engineer's planet to begin with) are 35 000 years old.

And when they get there, not only do they find absolute evidence of what they there hoping to find i.e. absolute evidence of intelligent extra terrestrial life, but a giant alien building/spaceship as well. But no, they say, gently caress that! I wanted and completely expected to find living intelligent aliens. Even though it seemed like most of the named crew came along as an archiological dig team.

Shaw was completely fine discovering that their DNA matches ours. Sure, a living one would've been nice, but her goal was to prove that they made us, and she found the evidence for it.
Holloway wanted to know not only if they made us, but why. That was his reason for being there. He wants answers that only a living being can answer, and it's what leads to his downfall.

• Locked thread