Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We can rule them like gods! ...Angry gods.

Tardstar posted:

Did you someone how just miss it or are you one of those wretched young people? I'm literally scared that there are people born in the 90's on SA. It sucks.

I was born in '84, and I haven't seen any of the Alien series (Edit: or Robocop, for that matter). I don't think I've see any of the Terminator series all the way through, just caught bits and pieces at a time on TV if it's playing. I did watch the Predator movies, though.. on up through AvP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Der Luftwaffle posted:

In the same way, it really gets me now that I can reliably recognize which movies are using the most over-used stock gun and explosion noises. It's simultaneously hilarious and mood-shattering when I'm listening to an epic gunfight with sounds from the first Command and Conquer game.

Oh god, yes. I remember playing Civilization II back in the day, and the old melee sound effects were the same effects used in "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" during the fight with the Black Knight. No, seriously, they're the same effects. Listen to it.

Then there's always the old Wilhelm Scream (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilhelm_scream). Is it really that hard to record a new scream every now and again? It's STILL turning up in movies and TV shows today!

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Morton Haynice posted:

I forgot about shields..

How could anyone forget about me? :smug:

But seriously, they're more for glancing blows, not full-on blasts. I read dozens of the Star Wars EU novels growing up..

You know, I really wish I could contribute more to this thread, but my issues are usually passing things- they bug me while they're there, but then I tend to forget about them over time. I'm sure something will come to me though.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

OdorousTobacco posted:

Someone mentioned I Know What You Did Last Summer on the first page, and it reminded me of something that irrationally bothered me when I first saw that movie:

During the part where they "kill" the guy or whatever, it's supposed to be the 4th of July, in like North Carolina or some poo poo. Meanwhile, every time they breathe you can see big, heavy clouds of breath coming out of them. YOU CAN'T loving SEE YOUR BREATH ON THE FOURTH OF JULY IN NORTH CAROLINA.

Yeah, no poo poo. I've seen 85 degree weather in December around here.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Anytime there is a stand-off between two people, and they don't shoot each other.

I mean...you spent the last five minutes shooting at each other, then you somehow both end up with your gun in the other person's face, and...you don't shoot...why? Well, the other guy also has his gun in your face, so...umm...nope, doesn't make sense. Unless the other guy is The Flash, he's not going to have the reflexes to shoot you. Yet it happens in a lot of movies and TV.

An issue related to this is when someone has a hostage and is pointing a gun at them, sometimes dozens of police officers are around with e clear shot, yet the Action Hero has to talk the villain down...yeah, I'll admit I'm not 100% up to date on police procedure, but I'm pretty sure that guy would get shot pretty darn quick.

I had a professor talk about this in school. I think the fear is that they will have a muscle spasm or jolt as they are shot and pull the trigger themselves, so you both end up dead/wounded. I mean, you don't just go limp and fall to the floor. It makes sense, and if you've ever fired a gun, you know how easy gun triggers are actually pulled.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Kindof along the same lines of ordering generic beer or cigarettes in movies and TV shows, I HATE that people on-screen never finish their drinks or meals. They'll order a drink, take a couple sips, and leave. "How I Met Your Mother" is REALLY bad about this. If I'm going out and ordering an overpriced drink at a bar, I'm drat well finishing it.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Xander77 posted:

Oh you mean this theme song? Totally not playing this in my favorites right now.

I prefer the metal version! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOwPbV37RUg&feature=related

:rock:

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Tiggum posted:

No, watch anything in which they're holding an opaque beverage container and now that you're aware of it you will always notice that it's obviously empty. Since I heard them mention it on the Scrubs DVD commentary I have noticed it in pretty much everything.

They're guilty of this on "Castle" too. When Castle brings Beckett her morning cup of coffee (which is in a ceramic re-usable coffee cup, for some reason), it's obviously empty by the way they gesture with it. Yeah, you can move cups around, but if there's scalding hot liquid sloshing around in it, you're going to react to the shift in weight. And despite the incredible suspension of disbelief you need to watch that show, it is wildly entertaining and probably one of the best things on TV right now.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

KillRoy posted:

Why did the druid army land their army on the other side of the planet?

I'd go back and watch that movie. "Meesa no want to get fried by crazy druid Call Lightning!"

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

JustinMorgan posted:

In Walking Dead when the cop takes the horse and winds up galloping thru the city to escape the zombies, I'm kind of relieved it gets eaten by zombies, because that horse would have been completely crippled the next day from the impact on its legs from running on the concrete.

I watched that episode with a horse-owner and pair of vet techs and they were all freaking out about the same thing. Of course, they all said that they would have been doing it too if it meant zombie death.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

TheChaosPath posted:

Did you lose a bet?

My wife (vet tech) and her best friend (horse owner and also vet tech).

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Mu Cow posted:

On a similar note, I always found it hilarious that Lucy Lawless had a New Zealand accent on "Battlestar Galatica" when all the other Cylons had American accents.

Well, yeah, but the people of "Battlestar Glactica" were from a dozen different planets, each with their own regions. Who's to say that one of their accents can't be equivalent to what a New Zealand accent (or British in the case of Gaius) would sound like? The Cylons were meant to blend in, maybe it was programmed because of whatever real woman she was based on, or maybe they thought it would help her blend in on her first mission.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

We've got a young-ish kitten, only a few months old if that, and he loves nothing more than to jump out of hiding and attack the ankles of passers-by. Imagine if he was all aliened up and did that. He'd take out your Achilles tendon, easily. The rest would be easy, just go for the throat.

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

Rurea posted:

After watching the trailer you linked ( which I've seen a billion times and is totally awesome) something irritated me. Why the gently caress is the Flash so useless in that trailer? He was moving so incredibly slow. I mean, we see superman travel from the sun to earth in a few seconds. But the Flash is running maybe 60 mph. What gives? He should have been able to completely avoid the fire from Joker, and gotten to Black Atom in a fraction of a second. The Flash is so incredibly powerful and the video turns him into a guy who can run at a moderately fast speed. I wanna see the Flash kill 10 dudes in 1/10th of a second.

Edit: http://i.imgur.com/odw58.jpg

I played this game for a while, and I have two.. somewhat reasonable explanations in comic book terms. First, if you look at Flash, he's armored in a way he normally wouldn't be. His suit is supposed to fit into a ring. He's in a loving recolored Batman battle suit, and he probably can't move as fast. And secondly, he's not the "normal" Flash. This is an alternate Earth. They had to make his speed reasonable for the context of the game. Your character in the game is supposed to have their DNA mixed with that of existing superheroes- Flash included. If you could traverse the map in the blink of an eye, it wouldn't be fair to anyone who didn't choose Super Speed as their "travel power" (the alternatives being Flight and kinda Batman-like Acrobatics).

Edit: Oh, and if you look closely, the first thing you see is Green Arrow dead on a pile of rubble. Ollie Queen would never go out like a bitch like that. :smug:

TShields has a new favorite as of 13:01 on Oct 27, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TShields
Mar 30, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is that why Superman talks like he's retarded?

"BAD-MAN!" :saddowns:

I think he's saying "Batman", like "Holy poo poo, I just noticed you killed Batman." Yeah, I don't like that part either.

• Locked thread