Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jay Dub posted:

I'd always thought the implication was that they reverse-engineered modern computer technology from the tech found inside the alien spacecraft. Granted, that makes it sort of like trying to link up an oldschool Game Boy to a 3DS, but it helps me sleep at night.
Also, there's a deleted scene that addresses it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Christmas Jones posted:

Vagina answers:

1) I always assumed mermaids had fish vaginas, or whatever sex organ approximates them. Has it ever been established if mermaids give live birth or lay eggs?
:v: I always assumed merfolk worked like dolphins and other marine mammals.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

I still have no idea how that dilophosaur got into the car in Jurassic Park. The only opportunity it had was when Nedry got blinded and fell down, and that would require walking right past him (at which point it could just have attacked him, which is more or less what happened in the book).

Even if there was a second one involved (which there's no other sign of) that snuck in when Nedry fell down that slope, he would have had his back to it for most of the sequence, giving it plenty of opportunities to attack.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Poop Delicatessen posted:

Which is why it's hilarious that so many people think it's just supposed to be badass and heroic.
Then they shouldn't have used such a badass-sounding song :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Elendil004 posted:

Wasn't there a deleted scene or something where basically raptors got on the ship, killed the crew and as a last resort the crew tried to release the t-rex to kill the raptors?

I mean it doesn't make a LOT more sense...but it fits better.
I think it was supposed to happen in an earlier version of the script (the raptors originally had a lot more screentime), and that part somehow persisted into the movie after the whole "T-rex on the mainland" part was added.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

muscles like this? posted:

It was kind of weird how the cube just seemed to make evil Transformers.
iirc, isn't modern technology based on stuff reverse-engineered from Megatron? So presumably it would all tend towards being Decepticons by nature.

Someone on /co/ wrote a little paragraph around the time the movie came out where a modern train turns into a Decepticon, only to see an old steam engine charging up the tracks to meet it, turning into an Autobot, and fighting with it. It was pretty badass.

U.T. Raptor has a new favorite as of 23:47 on Oct 15, 2011

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Tin Miss posted:

In Jurassic Park 3 how exactly did the stepfather die?

When Tea Leoni's character finds his body he is still in his parachute, hanging from a tree. The video camera the characters find shows him landing safely and then cutting his stepson free from his harness. Then they hear a dinosaur or something and the boy runs away.

There are no bites or marks on the body and the video tape shows that he wasn't killed in the landing, so the only obvious conclusion I can come up with is that he couldn't get himself free from the harness and the little brat just left him there to starve to death.

Also, everyone gets over this in about two seconds and he is never mentioned again, despite being one of the main character's fiance.
I just assumed he got tangled up in the ropes and strangled himself or something, and the kid couldn't really do anything about the body so he just left it there.

I'm more wondering what happened to those guys on the boat. One minute they're there, the next minute they're gone. Obviously the implication is supposed to be that the Spinosaurus got them (since it's established as perfectly capable of swimming later), but it would have had to snatch them off a fast-moving boat in the space of like 30 seconds...

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Barack Pwnbama posted:

I've always figured they were attacked by the Pterodactyls.
:ssh: Those were confined in their aviary until the characters leave the door ajar while escaping it.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Kung Food posted:

Except when it doesn't, otherwise dinos wouldn't have gone extinct in the first place. In fact over 99.9% of the species that have existed on this planet went extinct. Life is pretty bad at finding a way really.
Life in general is pretty drat resilient, even if individual species aren't.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

A whale would just straight-up eat the facehugger, it wouldn't have a chance :colbert:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

It's a TV show, but pretty much the entire fight with Shishio in Rurouni Kenshin. It's just so... stupid.

First off, you have someone lethally susceptible to overheating surrounding himself with fire. His special moves use it, he's got inexplicably flame-spewing smokestacks, the arena for the fight is surrounded by them, etc.

And then there's the part where he's basically made of loving iron or something because he takes almost no damage from anything anyone does to him, and how apparently he can counter any move he's ever seen being used, no matter what it is. And then there's the part where he just bites Kenshin for no real reason, I'm not even sure what the author was even going for but it's just kind of hilarious.

And when pretty much every other character jumps in to try and fight him and gets their poo poo wrecked (extra points for Sanosuke hitting him square in the face with a punch that shatters rocks and doing all of jack poo poo). The worst was probably Saito, who despite starting out in a really cool way somehow ended up hitting probably the only piece of armor on Shishio's entire body.

Also, the utterly pointless bit where his girlfriend tries to protect him and he stabs Kenshin through her, since it accomplishes absolutely nothing (it would have been fine if it occurred earlier in the battle). He doesn't even get to capitalize on the injury he just inflicted, since he starts spontaneously combusting (see why I mentioned the fire earlier?) right afterwards and just sort of flips out for a while before dying.

:spergin: I know, I know, but this one's bothered me since I first saw this battle years ago. The bit where he ends up in Hell and decides to take over the place still rules though.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

quote:

A Detective Story was very enjoyable even though I can't figure out where it's supposed to fit, simply because cyber noir seems to be relatively rare as a setting. I know Penny Arcade did that bit with the robot detective, but I can't think of any other examples off the top of my head.
Samurai Jack had an episode about a robot hitman that was sort of like that.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Phanatic posted:

Also, the mechs were really dumb. Go stick a guy in a walking tank with guns on it, and build it as an open frame exoskeleton so that the soft meat body serves as armor to protect all that steel. Good idea.
The anime Blue Gender is really bad about this too. They're fighting giant insects that tear through humans like paper with mechs that have open cockpits :ughh:

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Kruller posted:

How about in Transformers 1 where a ROBOT which is a MACHINE was ripped in half, and they couldn't fix it. Also it was the black one.
The Transformers franchise as a whole is really inconsistent about how much damage they can take and survive. On one hand you've got the "dies pretty easily" of the movies (including the old animated one), on the other you've got Beast Wars where Waspinator... was Waspinator.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Here's one: if the plant lady was able to survive with a plant beast mode, why was there any tension at all for Airazor when her pod had no animals to scan from? Assuming there were no loving animal DNA anywhere, there would have been plant matter somewhere.
iirc, she implies that planet's ecosystems were inhabited by mobile plants instead of animals, making them a little different than just ordinary plants.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

HopperUK posted:

I wonder if the castle will seem really empty of furniture once all the people get turned back into people.
Presumably it had regular furniture before the Beast pissed off that witch, so maybe that's still around?

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Dick move, Moses, dick move.
Don't blame Moses for this one, God's the one who keeps "hardening Pharoah's heart" every time he's about to let the Israelites leave. iirc, in the Bible Pharoah was ready to let them go like 3-5 plagues in.

...God comes off really monstrous in the Exodus story if you think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is the ending the same in them both? Everyone just flies away in a weather balloon?
I think it was a plane in the book.

• Locked thread