Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

cloudchamber posted:

That happens in a lot of films if images that are supposed to flash by quickly linger on the screen too long

Wasn't that to prevent epileptic people from getting seizures?

Z-Magic posted:

In the new Star Trek where the hell did Nero get his ship from? He was on a mining mission yet his ship has enough weaponry to take down the entire starfleet fleet (minus the enterprise). Why does a mining ship have to be so well armed?

They had mining lazers that could cut through solid rock. I think it would be easy to cut ships apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Ringo Star Get posted:

I know someone mentioned Dark Knight earlier so I'm going to mention my irritating moment with it.

When Bruce is hosting that event for Harvey Dent and Rachel is there and all the supporters. This is the scene where the Joker busts in to find Batman. Eventually there's a fight and Joker throws Rachel out the window. Batman of course races out the window and rescues her as they slam into the roof of a car. That's not what bothers me.

The Joker is still up there with all those people and his cronies in a Batman-less room.

Does he just shrug and walk away? Does he take more hostages? It's an irritating lose end that I'm sure must be explained in an extra scene on a DVD.

I always thought that they left but I haven't seen the film for ages.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Solid Oak Acorn posted:

Since people have brought up The Matrix sequels, there was the final fight with Neo and Agent Smith in the last one, in the rain. They did their bullet time thing and had Smith punching through the rain, but the rain was long strips of water, instead of drops. Maybe it was deliberate, like RillAkBea said, it is computer generated, but it just bugged me.

I think it was supposed to show the "corruption" of the Matrix by making it look like code instead of water. That's why the place was green to show that the matrix is falling apart due to Smith.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Heres Hank posted:

Just how fast ARE agents? CAM seemed to have enough time for a catch phrase before plugging one in the head.

I think they can change the speed of time itself. This is why they were able to dodge them before.

I think they just got caught with their pants down at that moment.

Gram-O-Phone posted:

Also, Willy Wonka: Sorry, but lickable wall paper is just disgusting. And there was no way Grandpa Jo and Charlie could possibly have ingested enough fizzy lifting drinks to send them all the way up to the fan. And the fan would not have cut them up anyway because there was a guard in front of it, a guard that Charlie was in fact pushing up against. He could not have gone up any further, he was in no immediate danger, so why all the panic?
I think the reason why they were panicking was due to being so drat high and still climbing they didn't even know if the guard would be fixed on the walls or is it just hanging on something. I would be panicking myself.

Supeerme has a new favorite as of 23:18 on Sep 17, 2011

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I watch a lot of kids film but there is always one thing I don't get.

It's the "I known you for my entire life and I know you would never do it, but I still think you did [thing]!Therefore I will ignore you and will not belive a single thing from you."
What's the reasoning behind that? of course it takes around the entire film for the Best friend/Love interest to realise that he/she didn't do it.

Then they say "I knew you didn't do it all along!" Then why didn't you belive him/her in the first place? poo poo like this just annoy me. It's a terrible "plot device" and is loving everywhere in kids films. Just pick a kids film and you might see what I mean.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

RagnarokAngel posted:

Plot convienance. This has been mentioned but I really hate the similar "Hero technically did do X, but it was either an accident or a misunderstanding". And the conflict only exists because the Hero is too much of a pussy to sit everyone down for 5 minutes and explain why exactly this happened.

The problem is no-one wants to listen in the first place. They just brush the Hero off.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
^^^^^^^
I'm deaf as well so I know what you mean. Infact my family puts it on regardless if I am watching it or not.

Malachite_Dragon posted:

Now for a bit of WTF of my own. In Sherlock Holmes, Holmes is dragged in to meet Watson's bride to be, and she absolutely insists, against his advice, that he do his magical analysis of her and say what he can deduct about her. Well, he warned her... So he does, and she doesn't like what she hears, so she decides to splash him with a glass of wine. Bitch, he tried to tell you that you wouldn't like what you were gonna hear :psyduck:

I think she wasn't really thought that he would go that far in his analysis. (Is it the movie with Robert Downy.Jr?)

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

God Mode posted:

At the end of Contact, when everyone is giving Jodie Foster poo poo about making it all up, why didn't they just send another person through the machine immediately to verify her story? Isn't that the most scientifically rigorous thing to do?

I'm sure the Japanese that built the second machine would jump at the chance to put one of their own scientists through.

I think it was due to the fact that a multi trillion project that have failed and public view on it was probably on the rocks after that. Didn't the North American one get blown up by a terrorist? How did the terrorist get there in the first palce?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Hell the entire "Will they? or won't they?" is irritating. It's ok for a while but when you base an entire movie/tv show about it then it's silly as hell.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Dr_Amazing posted:

In "Return of Jafar" the Aladdin sequel, the genie comes back and sings a song about friendship. One of the lines is something about friends cheering you up when you are blue. Aladdin points out that the genie is always blue. In the very next line the genie has changed shape and is green.

This really bothered me as a child

Aladdin took that statement literally. The Genie was on about being sad and stuff. That's why he changed color. You could also see it like the Genie is sad but tries to do his best to please everyone.

I watched the original Charlie and the chocolate Factory and I noted a lot of things which I really want answered:

1.Why did the 4 grandparents suddenly became bedridden 20 years ago? They must have been around 50 years old when they went into that bed.

2.How the hell does the man with the scar know where and who to talk to? if we are to belive that it was live TV, how does he suddenly appear from thing air? is he a reporter? Or there is many clones of him?(that is my belief)

3.Why didn't anyone call Willy Wonka out about the Oompa Loopas being his slaves? They are not getting paid!

4.How much is Charlie mum being paid in the first place? My mum said that being a Washing Lady didn't pay well. But they are living on cabbage water soup! If Charlie can buy 2 chocolate bars with a 50p coin he find in the drains then why can't she afford anything but cabbage?

Oh yeah Grandpa is a total dick.
Spent the last 20 years Bedridden due to your legs aching? You say that I can't walk? gently caress that poo poo I'm gonna start dancing around the room! Hell I don't even need that cane!:hurr: He also spends all of his money on tobacco he could have been giving to his daughter.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Stoatbringer posted:

What always bugged me about T4 (although it's a fairly common theme in lots of action movies) was when Skynet had lured Conner into their base at the end. He's basically trapped, and he's their greatest enemy.
So they send a single, unarmed terminator to knock him around a bit, instead of
a) Sending a load of armed terminators to shoot him on sight.
b) Arming the single terminator, to shoot him on sight as soon as the cell door opens.
c) Instead of grabbing him and throwing him around the room, grab him and tear his body apart.

It's like the supposedly cold, emotionless Skynet is acting like a traditional Evil Overlord and thinking "Haha! I shall send my great champion to defeat the Hero in single combat, to prove to everyone once and for all that I am supreme. Mwahahahaha!"

I think it was a,"You are so weak compared to me that I am not going to bother killing you outright. No, I am going to make you suffer first."

Or it could be a "gently caress it, let see how this thing works.". The Terminator was the latest model I think. It's really a terrible way of saying "Hey guys Arnie is in this film! Go watch it!"

In terms of the Superheros and it's effect on "normals" stuff, I think it depends on the film itself. Doesn't Kick-rear end have realistic superheros? (not that I seen it though.)

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

Is there a reason Xerxes is so huge?

He was the Persians God-King. The Narator was simply making him more awe-inspiring. Besides the way he told the story to make Leonidias the good guy.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

Synonamess Botch posted:

Jurassic Park - at the beginning when Hammond shows Grant and Sattler the brachiosaur for the first time and they're shocked and amazed. How do you sneak up on something that big? Wouldn't you hear or feel it walking? Grant had to force Sattler to turn her head to see it, do these people have zero peripheral vision? If I see a centipede out of the corner of my eye I will notice it. Then they turn their heads slightly and there's like 20 other dinosaurs down by a watering hole. What the gently caress were they looking at, are plants really that fascinating?

What you see is what they see. Was the Brachiosuar in the frame?

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

MrJacobs posted:

Why didn't the magic people contact the british military? I'm sure a sniper can fire a bullet faster than an incantation can be spoken and take down a few wizards before they know what the gently caress just happened.

I mean Voldemort is supposed to conquer the world like every other villain, so there is no real downside to using automatic weapons to drop mother fuckers before they can pick up their wands.

Would you belive someone who came in and said "Hey there is this dude who trying to kill everyone with magic and poo poo. Can you help us kill him?"

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010

hyperhazard posted:

Okay, hoping on The Avengers bandwagon, there was only one scene I had an issue with. And that's when Captain America meets Thor during the first battle with Loki.

Black Widow gives some quick exposition, something along the lines of "Thor's a god from ancient mythology."

And how does Cap reply? "There's only one God, ma'am, and he doesn't look anything like that."

...What? I know Captain America is all For God And Country, but his response doesn't make any sense. It's not like Widow was trying to convert him to Hinduism or explain the pagan pantheon to him, she was simply stating who the very real person in front of him was.

Did Captain America think that Thor was just a guy stumbling in from a LARPing session or something? And what about Loki? Was he just some guy who liked to wear headdresses and wander around threatening people?

They're powerful immortal beings, and people worship them. I'm pretty sure that makes them gods. Whether Cap personally prays to them or not is irrelevant.

And why does this never come up again? You'd think working in a team with a Norse god would shake Cap's faith a little, or at least cause a confrontation at some point, but nothing. They're the best of friends! And fighting a threat Captain apparently thinks is bullshit!

This confused and irritated the hell out of me.

We are talking about a man who grew up pre-WW2. He must be a devout christian.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
I think that was the point. After all, they shoot a whole bunch of unarmed people because they are part of the Nazi regime.

They are not nice people at all. Then again, none of the main Characters was nice.

• Locked thread