Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I get the chills thinking that one day this fuckwit may be right
Someone mentioned I Know What You Did Last Summer on the first page, and it reminded me of something that irrationally bothered me when I first saw that movie:

During the part where they "kill" the guy or whatever, it's supposed to be the 4th of July, in like North Carolina or some poo poo. Meanwhile, every time they breathe you can see big, heavy clouds of breath coming out of them. YOU CAN'T loving SEE YOUR BREATH ON THE FOURTH OF JULY IN NORTH CAROLINA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Dinosorcerer posted:

The vast majority of car stunts I've seen in movies have had some small part that's bothered me. Things like drive trains missing from cars doing big rolls, cars getting smashed up on landing big jumps, only to continue along unharmed, even skid marks from multiple takes get me thinking more about the filming of the movie or compromises that have been made rather than just enjoying the action.

I love cars and I love the cool things film makers do with them, but I can't stop noticing things like that.

It can be good for amusement though, I can't remember the movie, but there's a scene where someone peels out, burning rubber from a church car park, but there's obviously been a few takes. It ends up looking like they've been using the church for some nefarious underground drifting competition or something. (It wasn't a movie that featured any other real action, so really stood out)

At least the stunt people are having fun.

In keeping with this, that reminds me of another irrationally irritating moment in a movie: Napoleon Dynamite.

In the scene with the bike ramp, you see Pedro go over the ramp and get "like 3 feet of air that time." Then Napoleon tries, and breaks the ramp, and smashes his nuts on the bike. We all laugh.

But its' the same static shot for both Pedro's jump and Napoleon's, but you can VERY CLEARLY see a support piece of the ramp missing from the middle when Napoleon does it. It's there for Pedro, then it's gone, and Napoleon fucks it. It always bothered me, because it's so noticeable that I can't suspend my disbelief.

Also, on a separate note: I get irrationally irritated in movies when some super-sexy seductive girl who's wearing super-tight pants, dress, whatever takes off her clothes and is wearing full-backed underwear. Like I'm sure that if they show her in a thong, there's probably rules about that counting as "nudity" or whatever, but considering nearly every girl I know under the age of 45 wears thongs regularly, especially when wearing super-tight super-sexy clothes, I don't really buy it.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Is Cracked.com reading this thread?

http://www.cracked.com/article_19435_6-movie-plot-holes-you-never-noticed-thanks-to-editing.html

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
This isn't a movie, but I get really frustrated on The Office every time you can see the Conference Room set up in the background with the table, and then cut to a scene in the conference room that's supposed to be not that long after and there's no table, only chairs set up.

Obviously I don't expect them to waste screen time showing them setting up/breaking down or moving the table, but at the same time, that table just seems to disappear. And that conference room clearly isn't that big, so I feel like for some poor schmuck (Dwight, Andy, Ryan) they're spending twenty minutes a day just sliding that table in and out again and again.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Sticking with 50 First Dates, I thought the movie did a pretty good job addressing the concerns the characters had with all the things you're talking about.

It was already established prior to the tape that occasionally she had "bad days" where she realized something was wrong and they would explain it to her.

As far as waking up with her period, I feel like unless it had only ended 2 days prior, any woman might wake up with it and go "that's weird, I shouldn't have it now, but it's not something I should really worry about."

Also, I feel like the "magic" of the movie was that she had somehow subconsciously internalized Adam Sandler and that she was already kind of special/strong enough that she could handle all the things that came with waking to the realization. Further, if she was able to internalize Adam Sandler via her love for him ("I don't know you but I dream about you,") then isn't it possible that the same could be said for her kids? Maybe when she dreams, she's reliving the days she's had with them.

They should've given her piracetam. :drugnerd:

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Rankine Over Gash posted:

In the film The Untouchables, there's a scene where Ness and Malone go to the police academy to recruit and they settle upon Stone, who is of course really named Guiseppi. When Malone talks about wanting a 'stinking wogwop' on the team, Stone retorts back (sorry to paraphrase) 'better than a thieving Irish...pig'.

My annoyance stems from Andy Garcia's delivery of the line. He delivers it coldly, which I can understand, but he pauses after the word Irish. It's inexcusable and I notice it everytime I watch the film.

Ugh. Shame. Good film otherwise though.

EDIT: VVVVV Well, duh, of course it is. I'm a fool, sorry.

Why is it bad that he delivers it coldly? You know that the Irish were extremely looked down upon when they first immigrated, right? Like they were seen as lower than slaves?

If it wasn't for their Catholic breed-like-rabbits habit they probably would've stayed that way, but sheer numbers eventually gave them power.

EDIT: Oh, you don't like the pause. Maybe he just wanted the word Irish to hit?

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Razorwired posted:

What's really glaring about the Clerks example is that he gave Chewlie's Gum a name and the hockey players mention Gatorade. Not to mention that by Chasing Amy the characters all smoke Nails brand cigarettes. Either it was intentional in Clerks or I give Smith way too much credit.

I think it was way too expensive to say the cigarette brand names, but it was also too expensive to come up with a credible name and advertisement for fake cigarettes. When they re-open the Quick Stop at the end of Clerks II, there's NAILS cigarettes everywhere. I think it was just a budget thing.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
So I know this would make it so there was no movie at all, but I thought it was really stupid that the entire plot of Cloverfield revolved around gong back to save his ex-not-even-girlfriend. Like If I was having a party and a monster showed up and started wrecking poo poo, that would not be my priority.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Trent posted:

Glad I'm not the only one who caught that.

The thing that bothered me about the sex scene in Watchmen is the fact that it's a really important scene, but it's literally only 2 panels in the comic. By extending it so long they made it uncomfortable and took the power from the scene.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Something I remembered that always irked me:

In Men In Black, there's a moment near the end where Tommy Lee Jones calls Rip Torn and tells him that they've got the galaxy, and Rip Torn responds.

I always thought that the line was "You got it, Fred." But Tommy Lee Jones wasn't Fred; he was K. So then it means that Rip Torn's line is "You got it, friend." To me, that's a really dumb line.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Fozaldo posted:

The worst part by far about the JP films was in the 2nd. The young girl, I think it was Jeff Goldblum's daughter jumps and grabs an over head pipe and uses it to do a full 360 degree flip, come back down and kick a velociraptor our of a window. I acknowledge that those particular creatures never existed in that size but if they did they would easily be over half a tonne in weight yet this 7 year old girl just kicks one away like a paper cup. That moment ruined the entire film (more).

How in the hell would a dinosaur roughly the size of a human weigh over a thousand pounds? Also, they establish that she was, among other things, 1) a gymnast and 2) way older than 7.

If you took a fifteen year old gymnast and had her do a full 360 on parallel bars and make solid contact with you, you wouldn't be standing still either.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

U.T. Raptor posted:

I think it was supposed to happen in an earlier version of the script (the raptors originally had a lot more screentime), and that part somehow persisted into the movie after the whole "T-rex on the mainland" part was added.

Seriously, MORE screen time? The raptors were like the entire middle portion of the movie.

..Then it became about T. Rex terrorizing a neighborhood.

Also, why were they so averse to killing the dinosaurs in these movies? I understand they're amazing works of genetic science, but goddamn they'll put a dog down if it bites its neighbor. This was a loving T-Rex wandering through the suburbs!

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Just watched Tron: Legacy the other night. My irrationally irritating moment came from this:

They establish that on your disk is every memory, thought, consciousness, etc. Also, they establish that for whatever reason if a program or an Iso has Jeff Bridges' disk, they can leave the grid and enter the real world. Then, Jeff Bridges tricks Clue when Quorra and the son are leaving through the portal.

Then, Jeff Bridges destroys himself. While still holding Quorra's disk.

...Uh, what? How can she survive that?

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Patattack posted:

I remember reading once that there's a psychological aspect to it: filmmakers figured out that hearing the word "goodbye" (or equivalent) has a subconscious effect on the audience that causes them to stop paying attention to what's going on. Don't know how much truth there is to that, but it makes a bit of sense.

Keeping with that, actually, I had another beef with Tron Legacy.

The main guy (I don't even remember his name, that's how little I cared about him) had a dog. A dog that he adopted from a rescue (they mention that specifically). Now if you go back and think about him as a character, you really know NOTHING about him other than that he's Jeff Bridges' rich son, he fucks with the company once a year, he rides a motorcycle, and he has a dog. That's all they give you.

But I read something not too long ago that they figured out if a character has a dog, the audience will sympathize with him/her more than if he/she didn't. So they give that guy (Sam? They're always named something stupid like Sam) a dog to make you think you know more about the character than you really do.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
In the book isn't there also bird DNA involved? And the dinosaurs have a V-shaped herd pattern?

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
I have one: I love the movie Garden State, but something sticks out to me about it in retrospect.

Zach Braff's character takes ecstasy early on in the movie. He sits there with a goofy grin on his face while poo poo happens all around him. Given the amount of antidepressant drugs he has been taking--as established in the film--at best he should've not felt anything and at worst he should've died from serotonin toxicity.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005
Chiming in on the Matrix/Carrie Anne Moss thing: Not only did I not buy them together physically, but the whole romance came out of nowhere. She brings him dinner once on the ship, then when he "dies" she tells him that the Oracle said the man he loved would be the one...and that's HIM!

It comes out of left field.

Also, I have another pet peeve from every movie with romance and/or casual sex ever:

No one uses condoms, ever, nor do they get diseases or accidentally pregnant.

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Mu Cow posted:

This is one of those things I find hard to criticize because it's not necessarily that they don't use condoms, it's just never explicitly stated. It's not like they actually show anything in most movies, so its impossible to say. And really, except for a few comedies, I can't think of any way of signalling that the characters are using condoms that isn't wholly unnecessary to the story. The best is probably in "Sideways" when Thomas Haden Church pulls out a bunch of condoms, gives one to Paul Giamatti, and pockets the rest.

The particular irritation had happened when I had just watched a scene in Love and Other Drugs:

Gyllenhaal shows up at Hathaway's apartment, they start making out, he bends her over the stove and puts his hands down her pants while she reaches back and puts her hands down his.

Cut to them half-naked on the floor, panting, post-coital. They're still mostly clothed. He gets up, tucks his poo poo back in, and leaves.

Therefore this movie (and a lot of other movies I've seen) has us believe one of two things: either they didn't use protection, or he put his clothes on with the condom still on. Either way, wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OdorousTobacco
Oct 17, 2005

Supreme Allah posted:

I almost made this post a couple weeks back, but I then did some googling and APPARENTLY, male mosquitoes suck on plants/nectar and only females suck blood.

Theoretically they would have found just as much plant DNA as dinosaur DNA. That it wasn't mentioned is obviously irritating if you noticed it.

Incorrect. Male mosquitoes do suck blood, but they don't have to. Females have to because only by sucking blood can they lay eggs.

• Locked thread