Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
Just picked up the two-volume set of The Book of the Long Sun for $6 at a used book sale in the Princeton Public Library. I'm wondering if I should re-read the Book the New Sun series first before I dive into this? I read the latter about seven years ago and really enjoyed it, but I feel like you need to re-read it to get a better sense of what's really going on. Also I never read The Urth of the New Sun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

New Sun is only tangibly related to Long Sun. They don't need to be super fresh in your mind or anything. Not saying you shouldn't reread them, just that they aren't a necessary prerequisite. Urth is entirely skippable, and according to your temperament is either a brilliant coda or sloppy trash that sheds a ugly light on New Sun. Proceed at your own risk.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah, you could really read The Long Sun without ever having read The New Sun. The New Sun is more directly related to The Short Sun, which follows on from The Long Sun (I actually enjoyed The Short Sun more than The Long Sun, although I like both).

otterley
Jul 11, 2008
I wish the cover art for The Short Sun series wasn't so terrible, I'm really vain with my books :reject: The covers make it look like some cheap generic fantasy.

With the exception of the New Sun (which I've now read three times I think), I usually read Wolfe in the summer. Maybe it's the way time feels to slow down in the heat. Last year I read the Long Sun, Fifth Head and assorted short stories; then Latro before that. I think this year I'll just have to get over myself and pick up the Short Sun.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

otterley posted:

I wish the cover art for The Short Sun series wasn't so terrible, I'm really vain with my books :reject: The covers make it look like some cheap generic fantasy.

With the exception of the New Sun (which I've now read three times I think), I usually read Wolfe in the summer. Maybe it's the way time feels to slow down in the heat. Last year I read the Long Sun, Fifth Head and assorted short stories; then Latro before that. I think this year I'll just have to get over myself and pick up the Short Sun.

Long Sun in particular really benefits from being read in summer while New Sun was great autumn-winter reading. If you aren't reading things in the appropriate climate, you're doing it wrong.

Barto
Dec 27, 2004
So why did some people suggest that Green and Blue are...err, actually Severian's Urth?

Horn-Silk can only go to see Severian once he's been there with the sleeper who took him the first time. If Urth=Blue, how come that was necessary? Is the dream travel temporal-space travel as well? How does that fit into the technology we know about from the New Sun? I'm really curious about this point.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Barto posted:

So why did some people suggest that Green and Blue are...err, actually Severian's Urth?

Horn-Silk can only go to see Severian once he's been there with the sleeper who took him the first time. If Urth=Blue, how come that was necessary? Is the dream travel temporal-space travel as well? How does that fit into the technology we know about from the New Sun? I'm really curious about this point.

This theory is disfavoured amongst the fandom, to my recollection. I'm sure there's some long post on the Urth mailing list setting out explicitly why, but I can't remember any specifics.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Long Sun in particular really benefits from being read in summer while New Sun was great autumn-winter reading. If you aren't reading things in the appropriate climate, you're doing it wrong.

This is really dumb.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I live in Florida so I can't read New Sun until I move to a colder climate

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

The Urth mailing list is full of crackpot theories and spurious reasoning. It's a shame really. It could have been such a good resource.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Bear Sleuth posted:

The Urth mailing list is full of crackpot theories and spurious reasoning. It's a shame really. It could have been such a good resource.

Has anyone read stuff like Solar Labyrinth - analyses of The Book of the New Sun?

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

Ugh, Home Fires is really, really bad. Picked it up from the library and I'm 75 pages in...no reason to go on.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

sebmojo posted:

Yeah, I know it's probably a minority opinion. But I find that past a certain date Wolfe books became largely devoted to people telling each other the plot and I find that super dull. I only find the splendid baroque ambiguity that I like in the earlier ones.

That's it in a nutshell. Home Fires is constructed largely with dialogue - terribly written, cringe-worthy dialogue. And the plot is just not interesting.

Fenrra
Oct 13, 2010

Argali posted:

Has anyone read stuff like Solar Labyrinth - analyses of The Book of the New Sun?

As far as book based analyses the only thing I have picked up was a copy of "Lexicon Urthus". Nice to be able to use it as reference material if I forget anything.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
There's a lengthy interview with Wolfe here: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529431/a-qa-with-gene-wolfe/#comments

Looks like the old guy is on his way out. :(

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Neurosis posted:

There's a lengthy interview with Wolfe here: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529431/a-qa-with-gene-wolfe/#comments

gently caress... :smith: Considering how dedicated he's always been to Rosemary it is a bit of a shock that he's lived this long without her. Still, as sad as I am to see him going I'm also glad that he gets to return to the woman he cares so much for.

It is going to be a colder, simpler world with both Wolfe and Pratchett on their way out. I've been reading both of them for most of my life and I just can't imagine not having any more of their work to look forward to.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Neurosis posted:

That was a bummer of an interview. I found particularly sad the part where he says he cant read for more than 15 minutes cause his eyesight is so bad... :(

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

One of Wolfe's lesser known works:

According to eBay anyway.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

I'm glad I found this thread; I've read a few Gene Wolfe books recently, but don't really have anybody to talk about them with.

I read "Free Live Free" not so long ago, and once I got to the end, felt like re-reading it right away. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing; I got the point of what happens to the four main characters, how they are given what they truly want, but it turns out to be (mostly) non-satisfying, and so at the end they get what they want after - a chance for a do-over. It's just that I didn't really get the wanna-be film noir detective and the horny novelty salesman until after they get what they want; they were opaque to me as characters, and I want to see if the whole thing becomes clearer now that I have this insight.

Also: I finished book of the Long Sun recently. Quick question: is the link between the long sun and new sun the fact that *Typhon*, stand-in for Satan, is who constructed the Whorl in the first place? If so, having the tempter of Christ Severian as the author of your world certainly does explain a few things.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm glad I found this thread; I've read a few Gene Wolfe books recently, but don't really have anybody to talk about them with.

I read "Free Live Free" not so long ago, and once I got to the end, felt like re-reading it right away. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing; I got the point of what happens to the four main characters, how they are given what they truly want, but it turns out to be (mostly) non-satisfying, and so at the end they get what they want after - a chance for a do-over. It's just that I didn't really get the wanna-be film noir detective and the horny novelty salesman until after they get what they want; they were opaque to me as characters, and I want to see if the whole thing becomes clearer now that I have this insight.

Also: I finished book of the Long Sun recently. Quick question: is the link between the long sun and new sun the fact that *Typhon*, stand-in for Satan, is who constructed the Whorl in the first place? If so, having the tempter of Christ Severian as the author of your world certainly does explain a few things.

Read the Short Sun. It is better than the Long Sun and makes the connection more explicit.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Nebakenezzer posted:

Any thoughts on the ending? I remember being quite puzzled by it.

quote:

I think this is explicit, but just in case yes, Typhon buit the Whorl when the Old Sun suddenly faded, which he mentions in Sword. Why the gods are him and his family... I dunno. Also it's pretty clear that Severian is not Christ.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

House Louse posted:

I think this is explicit, but just in case yes, Typhon buit the Whorl when the Old Sun suddenly faded, which he mentions in Sword. Why the gods are him and his family... I dunno. Also it's pretty clear that Severian is not Christ.

iirc the gods are him and his family because he basically uploaded their consciousness into the spaceship and gave them admin access. It also sounds like he was kind of big on being worshipped as a god back in the book of the new sun

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

Severian is certainly Christ-like. I'm having trouble seeing Typhon as a pure stand in for Satan. He's a tyrant and meglomaniac for sure, but otherwise???

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I'm writing a total modification of Angband based on a combination of the Solar Cycle and Soldier of the Mist series.

Sir Bruce
Jul 8, 2004

Bear Sleuth posted:

Severian is certainly Christ-like. I'm having trouble seeing Typhon as a pure stand in for Satan. He's a tyrant and meglomaniac for sure, but otherwise???

The Typhon as Satan allegory is to Satan's temptations of Christ in the New Testament. On top of the giant "mountains" Typhon offers Severian control over Nessus and all its territories so long as Severian swears fealty to him. Severian responds by literally casting him down. This is essentially Christ's last temptation where Satan takes him to the top of a mountain and offers all of the world's kingdoms if Christ worships Satan.

I don't recall Typhon having any connection to the Megatherians though.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

e:fb

Bear Sleuth posted:

Well, when Typhon and Severian meet, the thing is note for note like when Satan temps Christ in the desert, save for when Severian kills Typhon by snapping the neck of the creature Typhon's head is usurping. But maybe Christ was a unreliable narrator, too

The Christian allegory becomes very thick when in the Urth of the New Sun. Severian becomes literally the redeemer of humankind, passing the tests the angelic alien extra-dimensional god-race sets. Once this race is satisfied humanity is over its brutal and cruel ways, the Alien race sends a white hole to earth; nullifying the Black hole problem the sun had to stifle the growth of the human race. Of course, this change is the apocalypse in the proper Christian sense. Y'all may be familiar with the Apocalypse as the end of all things, or some sort of crazy bullshit rapture scenario. Apparently, properly speaking, the Apocalypse is when Christ returns to earth and imposes a fundamental new order to things, making the world just. Of course, you gotta tear down a temple if you want to build a new one, and Severian's world as he knows it is completely destroyed by the shift in gravity when the White Hole arrives, as are (nearly) all the people in it.

House Louse posted:

Any thoughts on the ending? I remember being quite puzzled by it.

I actually didn't have any problems with the ending; thematically I felt it all went together. I think it also helped that at some point I figured out time travel was on the table, as I remember the scene when they fly in the B-17 as confirming my suspicions. The fact that the four main characters realize they were wrong in the end, and got what they wanted from the old man at the very end - a second chance - put the four main characters back in time to the start of the book stronger and better than they were before.

I apologize if that does not make much sense. It's been a while, and I just donated blood (now there is an excuse--)

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I thought Severian just punched in the face of Typhon's slave. In retrospect, I always thought that Typhon's suspended animation seemed kinda...ghetto. I mean he had a giant space empire and was able to make a giant world ship, so sewing your head to one of your lackeys seems kind unfitting for a godlike evil emperor.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Levitate posted:

iirc the gods are him and his family because he basically uploaded their consciousness into the spaceship and gave them admin access. It also sounds like he was kind of big on being worshipped as a god back in the book of the new sun

Yeah, but the question is why, because that's pretty pathetic, isn't it? I'm thinking of Tolkien's comment that Sauron was trying to take over Middle-earth because he was too spiritually stunted to imagine anyone wanting to do anything else.

Nebakenezzer posted:

I apologize if that does not make much sense. It's been a while, and I just donated blood (now there is an excuse--)

It certainly is. What puzzled me was the very last scene where they all get together and the fortune-teller says the group that will change America is now complete. That pretty much came out of nowhere for me.

Bear Sleuth posted:

Severian is certainly Christ-like.

Not really. Although he has some Christ-like aspects his relationship with the figure of Christ is more complex than that. Sometimes he seems like a parody, especially earlier on when he's less moral. Although he does bring the New Sun in the end, any of the Autarchs were able to choose to take the test, the winning condition is just "having a high chance of bringing the New Sun", I think, it's not the end of the world but a new chance for the survivors (and presumably kills indiscriminately), and the gods of the new world are Severian and his court, not the god of the Commonwealth. I think. The Urth of the New Sun was pretty confusing.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

House Louse posted:

It certainly is. What puzzled me was the very last scene where they all get together and the fortune-teller says the group that will change America is now complete. That pretty much came out of nowhere for me.

I had forgotten about that. Setup for a sequel?

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?
Does anyone have some sort of summary of events for The Book of the New Sun? I've worked out what I think happens in it but I'd love to confirm my theories.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure there is a "canon" summary to be honest. Interpretation is a big part of it.
edit: Hell, people can't agree on when Severian is lying and when he's telling the truth.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jan 13, 2015

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Is it bad that every time I see this thread get bumped I get scared that Gene Wolfe died :(

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

anilEhilated posted:

edit: Hell, people can't agree on when Severian is lying and when he's telling the truth.

I don't think Severian knows it, either.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

systran posted:

Is it bad that every time I see this thread get bumped I get scared that Gene Wolfe died :(

I do it too. Also expecting news that Pratchett will die soon too. :smith:

Bear Sleuth
Jul 17, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

I'm not sure there is a "canon" summary to be honest. Interpretation is a big part of it.

This feels like you're overthinking it quite a bit. The book is vague, but it's hardly inscrutable.

I'm not finding any simple and comprehensive summaries, Saki. Why not post your conclusions and see if people here agree?

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

systran posted:

I saw 6 posts here and thought exactly this.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Neurosis posted:

I saw 6 posts here and thought exactly this.

Same here. I met Wolfe at DragonCon last year and he looked pretty rough, even considering his advanced age.

That was an awesome panel, though, because he basically trolled an entire room full of people that expected him to talk about his books. Instead we got a brief biography that stopped right as he started selling stories professionally. In retrospect I think that was actually better because the Sun books have been out for a long time and he's probably said everything he can possibly say about them.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Bear Sleuth posted:

This feels like you're overthinking it quite a bit. The book is vague, but it's hardly inscrutable.
I'm not saying it's inscrutable, but stuff like everything related to the Claw is pretty much left to how willing the reader is to take contrary information. Maybe I'm misremebering though, I haven't read it in quite a while.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
A brief Wolfe profile has gone up in the New Yorker. It's hardly anything familiar with him wouldn't know, but he opens up a little about his wife's Alzheimer's and death in 2013.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Good article. Only problem I had with it is that Latro is clearly not hallucinating unless you doubt absolutely every entry at which point the story becomes straight up meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Neurosis posted:

Good article. Only problem I had with it is that Latro is clearly not hallucinating unless you doubt absolutely every entry at which point the story becomes straight up meaningless.

Nah, it wouldn't be meaningless. It would just be Hellenic Don Quixote, which is still a ton of fun.