Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Have you read The Fifth Head of Cerberus? I think that's his best stand-alone novel. I enjoy most of his stuff, though; I thought the Wizard-Knight was a ton of fun. His short stories are pretty good, too - Seven American Nights is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Encryptic posted:

Yeah, I read Fifth Head of Cerberus quite some time ago and recall really enjoying it. I believe there's some speculation out there as to whether it's connected to BotNS as well, though I can't recall specifics.

A variant of the Shadow Children show up in Citadel. The blind giants being controlled by the dwarves. If you recall, the Shadow Children blinded their 'mounts' too in the middle part of the book. There's also some theories concerning the greening of Lune being connected, although I found that evidence quite a bit weaker. It might be or it might not be connected, not that it'd make much difference since they're about a hundred millenia apart.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah, Long Sun is easier to follow as the institutions and world set up are a bit closer to our own or at least to familiar conventions of story-telling so it isn't as hard to fathom what the hell is going on all the time. Short Sun moves a little bit away from this but is still an easier read than the New Sun. I actually prefer Short Sun to Long Sun - I really like Horn, despite his absorption by Silk.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Don't forget Hyacinth's cat. The fact I had to stop and read that closely to understand what the hell it was saying really helped to convey the style of speech.

tpg0007 posted:

Hopefully his new book will be more interesting. I read An Evil Guest and Home Fires and didn't understand any of it. The Sorcerer's House was better.

Agree with this. The Sorceror's House could have done with a bit more exploration of faerie too. I feel like Wolfe's books work best when he's employing his imagination to create weird concepts to go with the masterful writing and puzzle-box aspects. His novels like There Are Doors and An Evil Guest are just kind of... Eh, whereas the Solar novels and the Wizard-Knight are great fun, even if I don't always understand quite what is happening. Having said that, Peace is great even though it wasn't quite as out there are Wolfe's other top novels.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Nov 25, 2011

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I think it's worth it. The first book moves a little bit slowly but the pace gets faster and faster and each book is very different in style, so that disliking the beginning of the first is not a herald of doom for the whole series. It also sets up the Short Sun books which are closer to the New Sun and also excellent.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Palaemon.

There are some theories that he is actually Ossipago, sent to watch over Severian. This is hinted at by the fact Palaemon has some kind of ocular apparatus in place of regular eyes - and there is something peculiar about Ossipago's eyes, though I can't recall exactly what. I think it's in Urth of the New Sun. There's also the fact that Ossipago's role seems to be something like that of a carer - his name strongly hints at it, anyway, since it refers to a god responsible for skeletal development or something like that. Some theories run the Palaemon that left the Torturers is not the Palaemon who watches over Severian, and that Ossipago has assumed his identity.

It's been a while since I read these theories so I could be mixing some things up, and there's probably more evidence than I'm remembering.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Google tells me Malrubius is the name of a Scottish saint.

Edit: I am pretty sure the initial post was incorrect; human names are not all from the Bible and include saints - or maybe they are exclusively saints, I can't remember.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Mar 13, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Lex Talionis posted:

In New Sun, humans all have saints names. The previous poster may have been confused because the name Dorcas turns up a couple times in the New Testament, but most of the other names (including, er, Severian) do not. But they are all saint names (including "bad" humans like Vodalus as well as the one from that spoilered post, Palaemon). Other characters tend to come from various branches of mythology, e.g. Baldanders, Typhon (no longer human, I suppose), Abaia, Tzadkiel, etc.

Yeah, you're right about the name in that post. I suppose what leads people to theories like the one I posted above was that the name is both that of a god and a saint. It's been so long since I read the discussion of that name that I can't remember how it properly ran.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Master Ash - the dude in the house from a future where the Earth is freezing over and being evacuated. It's strongly implied that that is not a very likely future, though, because Ash fades as he gets further away from his house.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
That's what I said is a possibility in the spoilered theory - although I didn't realise that the name was such a strong hint . Palaemon left the Torturers at some point. The theory was that that Palaemon never returned to the Torturers. This is supported - if I recall correctly - by some remarks by a person at the front lines of the war with the Ascians, maybe one of the Pelerines' orderlies I'm not sure, that make young Palaemon sound very different from how he later appears. Instead, the Palaemon that returned to the Torturers was in fact Ossipago.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Mar 14, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
That particular theory is pretty close to iron-clad. But as Lex Talionis said, knowing that won't hurt your enjoyment of the books at all.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
My understanding was more that the Silver Silk entity seen in Return to the Whorl is some kind of amalgam of Pas and Silk. This would be in keeping with Wolfe's whole thing of pagan gods eventually merging with worship of the one true God. It would also mirror the identity merge we saw with Horn and Silk, with Silk supplanting Horn. I can't remember the evidence with complete clarity, it's been a couple of years since I read it. One of the bigger hints being Silk's dream of his head and Pas' being tied to the same body. There is another big one somewhere in there that I can't recall at present.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

PateraOctopus posted:

The theory isn't that Pas is [/spoiler]Typhon[/spoiler]; Scylla comes right out and says this in Lake of the Long Sun, so that's fact. There's a theory on the Internet that Silk is a clone or offspring of Typhon; as near as I can tell it's based on three pieces of evidence that are pretty circumstantial when added together, but it's very hard to tell with Wolfe. A) Silk and Typhon are both blond, though this is incredibly well-hidden. Typhon's hair color only becomes apparent if you notice that the head on the left is described as blond in Sword of the Lictor, which is the head that speaks in Urth. B) The bit with Kypris showing Silk a vision of Pas, wherein "one of the heads was Silk's." This is pretty ambiguous--theory proponents insist that this is a vision of what Pas actually looked like, but it's just as easy to read it as Kypris showing him a vision of what could be, i.e. his own personality being joined to Pas. Considering that he receives this vision after Kypris tells him to imagine what it would like to be Pas, I favor that reading. C) Typhon insists that his face be transferred with his consciousness into new bodies--that's why he had his head grafted onto Piaton rather than just replacing Piaton's brain with his own. He insisted that his subjects would only submit to his continued rule from body to body if they could continuously recognize him. Since Typhon planned to somehow leave the Whorl to rule the colonies as himself, and since the "gods" of the Whorl are able to transfer their consciousness into living creatures, it's not a stretch to imagine that he would store some of his own genetic material to be revived at the time of their landfall in order that he might transfer into it. As far as I know those are the only bits of evidence. In The Book of the Short Sun it's confirmed that Silk did in fact consent to upload his mind into Pas, thus becoming the central consciousness of the Whorl. Personally the Silk is Typhon's clone theory seems incredibly circumstantial to me and I'm not sure what the point would be if it were the case, but then Wolfe himself has said that Blood's father was Patera Pike, and the evidence pointing that way is all incredibly obscure, so who knows.

On his deathbed Wolfe will confess Robert Borski was actually a pseudonym he used to publish the truth behind his puzzles and I will burn my collection of Wolfe books in disgust.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Wolfe has made one unambiguously pro-life statement, which was in An Evil Guest. He alludes to post-natal abortions being legalised in the US.

Otherwise I have found his Catholicism pretty inoffensive.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

PateraOctopus posted:

Still haven't read that one. Bought it when it came out, still on my shelf. I understand it's tied up with Memorare somehow--is the connection terribly explicit?

I haven't read Memorare, so I couldn't tell you. An Evil Guest is not Wolfe's best work. It borrows more from early 20th century pulp than it does from Lovecraft, although the Lovecraftian connections become more evident as the novel goes on. Not recommended unless you are a Wolfe completionist.

Speaking of which, I still have a few stand alone Wolfe novels I have yet to read. These are:

(i) Operation Ares (which even Wolfe doesn't like);
(ii) Free Live Free;
(iii) Pirate Freedom;
(iv) Castleview;
(v) Pandora, by Holly Hollander;
(vi) The Devil in a Forest.

Which of these should I track down and which should I ignore?

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Oct 25, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

John McCain posted:

(i) Operation Ares (which even Wolfe doesn't like);

Haven't read this one; no comment.

(ii) Free Live Free;

One of Wolfe's more opaque novels, on the order of Peace. Follows what I will affectionately call a motley crew of broke losers. Interesting cast of characters. Set in ca. mid 20th century Chicago. Ending felt, to me, somewhat deus ex machina-ey. Pro tip: While reading, draw up a timeline and keep careful track of indicators of time.

(iii) Pirate Freedom;

Surprisingly straightforward, adventure on the high seas in the Caribbean. Less intricate than your average Wolfe novel. Relatively unsurprising twist ending.

(iv) Castleview;

Modern-day re-imagining of the Arthurian mythos. Try to work out the correspondences if you can.

(v) Pandora, by Holly Hollander;

Another relatively straightforward tale, especially for Wolfe. Detective story starring a naif.

(vi) The Devil in a Forest.

Coming-of-age story set in the Middle Ages, in what feels like Eastern Europe to me. The characters in this one also feel like archetypes, though I'll be damned if I could correctly identify most of them.

Honestly, I've read and enjoyed all of the books I "reviewed" above. My favorites of the list were probably Castleview and Free Live Free.

Thanks!

andrew smash posted:

Thoughts on the wizard knight series or there are doors? I remember there are doors being somewhat arcane but I read it long ago, before I was familiar with his other books. I've never read any of the wizard knight books bit I'm curious about them.

I really enjoyed the Wizard Knight. The mythology involved is a little closer to mainstream than most of Wolfe's novels (Norse mythology), although of course he adds his own take on things which distinguishes it, and it has a lot of cool adventure elements which make it a relatively quick read, as far as Wolfe goes. The puzzles are also a little less obtuse.

There Are Doors I found pretty tedious. The setting is not particularly interesting, and I didn't care much for the narrator, who appears at times to be either mentally unwell or not very intelligent.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

John McCain posted:

The Wizard Knight series is about a boy who stumbles into Norse mythology, basically. It's one of his more straightforward series, but I found the ending [of the second book, i.e. the ending of the series] to be somewhat unsatisfying. One thing that sticks out about the series is that the narrator (Wolfe's literary conceit is that the novels are essentially one long-rear end letter that the narrator is writing to his brother) is essentially a "tween" (at least mentally - you'll see what I mean if you read beyond the first ten or twenty pages of the first book). So his motivations are a little gross and unsubtle compared to what you would expect from an adult, and, at least in my opinion, he doesn't grow up too much over the course of the books. I guess the central premise of Wizard Knight is this: Imagine you are a ten or eleven year old boy who (like most boys) is enamored with the concept of knighthood and chivalry, and is somehow transported to a world in which you can live out what are your wildest fantasies - how do you behave?

My take was that Able DID grow up significantly, but was still short of developing a fully realised set of morals. That was my general impression, anyway. I can think of plenty of examples of him being a loving arsehole in the first book based on his flawed understanding of the world but not many either way from the second book, anyway. Which may indicate I just wasn't reading the second book closely enough, to be sure. It didn't bother me too much because I found the setting and other characters interesting.

Edit: alright gently caress it, time for a reread, because this duology is fun.

Neurosis fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Oct 26, 2012

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'm fairly sure you're correct. I think it might come up in the last book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Beyond sane knolls posted:

I just finished The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories and Other Stories and I recommend it to everyone. All the stories are at least cool, and some of them are just Wolfe mindfuckery of the most outrageous variety. It also features the best prose I've read from him (having only read New Sun and half of Long Sun), which is some excellent prose indeed. It was also cool to see him trying out some of the plot devices he makes use of in New Sun and the Latro books (fact-coloring or amnesiac narrators), and that whole unreliable narrator shtick works great in such small doses. Read it, y'all.

I think my favourite of those stories is Seven American Nights. The narrator is really unlike most of Wolfe's normal view points and it's one of his more interesting near future settings (which, to be fair, isn't saying that much since he's never been that great at that kind of thing).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
The ship.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Here's something that might interest people:

quote:

I was in the enviable position of seeing an advance copy of the upcoming Wolfe Tribute Anthology, Shadows of the New Sun: Stories in Honor of Gene Wolfe, edited by J.E. Mooney and Bill Fawcett. It will be coming out August 27th.
The table of contents is as follows, with a one or two small comments about probable source material, if applicable:

Wolfe: Frostfree - somewhere between a comedic piece and something more depressing
Neil Gaiman: A Lunar Labyrinth - Gaiman's story is clearly inspired by A Solar Labyrinth
Joe Haldeman: The Island of the Death Doctor - a slightly metafictional story narrated by Chris from Pirate Freedom
Timothy Zahn: A Touch of Rosemary - I can't place an exact story as inspiration, but certainly we all know a real life reason why Wolfe adopted his male animal-female vegatable naming schemes in Long/Short Sun
Steven Savile: Ashes - This poignant, emotional story seems to channel Bradbury a lot, too, but we all know Wolfe loves Proust's In Search of Lost Time
David Drake: Bedding - a companion story to Gene's "Straw"
Nancy Kress: ... And Other Stories - a 1st person narrative with some classic books and "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories"
Jack Dann: The Island of Time - also inspired by "The Island of Doctor Death and Other Stories", with Barsoom as the imaginative 2nd person catalyst instead of Dr. Moreau
Michael Swanwick: The She-Wolf's Hidden Grin - an inversion of "The Fifth Head of Cerberus" - I wish he had done all 3 parts of the novel, this one alone is worth the price of admission
Michael Stackpole: Snowchild - perhaps this story stems from Tracking Song
Mike Resnick and Barry Malzberg: Tourist Trap - a wonderful companion piece to "The Marvelous Brass Chessplaying Automaton"
Aaron Allston: Epistoleros - the longest story in the collection, perhaps form and theme are more applicable to Wolfe than any single work as inspiration, though its epistolary structure is seen in The Sorcerer's House and Trip, Trap (and I guess The Wizard Knight, huh?).
Todd McCaffery: Rhubarb and Beets - this is a Fairie story, much as The Wizard Knight was
Judi Rohrig: Tunes from Limbo, But I Digress - a very fine 1st person story set in the world of "Home Fires"
William C Dietz: In the Shadow of the Gate - we all know where this fits in the Wolfe oeuvre. A 3rd person epilogue to Shadow of the Torturer - lots of Hethor, for fans of that character (I know I am)
Marc Aramini: Soldier of Mercy - I'm just lucky to be in here with these guys!!!!!!!! Latro
Jody Lynn Nye: The Dreams of the Sea - a 1st person coda to Urth of the New Sun, featuring a female from the Witch's Tower
David Brin: The Logs - an SF tale with some engineered animals, in some ways about totalitarian attitudes and perseverance
Wolfe: The Sea of Memory - a good way to end the anthology

Michael Swanwick did a particularly outstanding job, and my personal favorites were Nancy Kress', Neil Gaiman's, Steven Savile's, and Judi Rohrig's stories. Nye and Dietz did an excellent job tackling the ambience and strangeness of New Sun.
Absent were Silk and Able, but Severian is represented. I think Forlesen or Seven American Nights would have made for some excellent stories, too.

No one should be surprised that Swanwick did a good tribute of Wolfe, since he already did an admirable job of it in Stations of the Tide.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I've only read three Swanwick novels but I got the impression the style of prose in each was a conscious choice for the purposes of writing that novel rather than Swanwick possessing a homogeneous authorial voice. Obviously, that doesn't excuse the flaws of a given book, but it means that the problems in a given book are not necessarily pervasive in his other works.

Stations of the Tide is a very good facsimile of Wolfe. The odd word choice is there but from recollection they were almost always for a certain effect. I haven't read his take on Faust, yet, so I couldn't comment on that book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I'll agree with the above post. There are some ridiculous theories on that list, and people put a lot of effort into them. But there's also some valid discussion. Quite often I'll find there are things I completely missed, or allusions I didn't understand. I find it easy enough to filter out the crap.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Hierodules are also our progeny, which is the whole point of them engineering Urth's future.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

sebmojo posted:

Soldier of Sidon is late Wolfe, which I dislike. But Arete is great.

I don't think late Wolfe is that bad. The books of the last decade aren't as good as anything in the Solar Cycle, but they stack up favourably to things like There Are Doors and Free Live Free. I really liked the Wizard Knight, even though a lot of people don't.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Seven American Nights owns. I like the protagonist a lot and it's one of Wolfe's more interesting near-future settings. I am not sure what credence to give the theories that the US government murdered the narrator and rewrote parts of his journal. I'll have to reread it!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I hope it's better than his last few efforts. The last thing he wrote I really liked was The Wizard Knight. It feels like in the three recent books he stopped trying to write interesting narratives and just created some puzzle boxes. More could have been done with An Evil Guest and The Sorcerer's House.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
If he finally goes off the rails and starts writing crazy political poo poo at 82 he'll have withstood the call of the elderly sci-fi writer longer than most. The only overtly political thing I have noticed so far was in An Evil Guest where he mentioned postpartum abortions. I didn't read Home Fires too closely though because I found it boring so I could have missed something there. Operation Ares might've had some crude political poo poo too but thankfully about 3 people have read that book.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
There Are Doors was tedious as gently caress. Don't say that. Please.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Wolfe's wife just died: http://floggingbabel.blogspot.com.au/2013/12/a-farewell-to-rosemary.html

Too bad. Surprising he'd been so prolific in recent years if Rosemary's medical problems had been that onerous and time consuming to deal with.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I really liked the Wizard Knight and am glad to see it clicked for you. For me I remember being baffled and confused a lot of the time when I began reading his work and I couldn't understand character motivations very well and it all seemed obtuse. Only the beautiful prose and bizarre imagery kept me going until I began to understand what was going on a bit better.

I will warn you recent Wolfe is only for hardcore fans. It has a lot of the puzzlebox complexities of the earlier works without the interesting settings or the same level of prose. His more popular works are still pretty great, though.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Anyone read The Land Across? I started it last night. I'm only 9% in so I can't give any substantive commentary, but it's fairly engaging so far and the prose is quite good and very believable (other than a few anachronisms).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Yeah, you could really read The Long Sun without ever having read The New Sun. The New Sun is more directly related to The Short Sun, which follows on from The Long Sun (I actually enjoyed The Short Sun more than The Long Sun, although I like both).

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Barto posted:

So why did some people suggest that Green and Blue are...err, actually Severian's Urth?

Horn-Silk can only go to see Severian once he's been there with the sleeper who took him the first time. If Urth=Blue, how come that was necessary? Is the dream travel temporal-space travel as well? How does that fit into the technology we know about from the New Sun? I'm really curious about this point.

This theory is disfavoured amongst the fandom, to my recollection. I'm sure there's some long post on the Urth mailing list setting out explicitly why, but I can't remember any specifics.

Beyond sane knolls posted:

Long Sun in particular really benefits from being read in summer while New Sun was great autumn-winter reading. If you aren't reading things in the appropriate climate, you're doing it wrong.

This is really dumb.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
There's a lengthy interview with Wolfe here: http://www.technologyreview.com/news/529431/a-qa-with-gene-wolfe/#comments

Looks like the old guy is on his way out. :(

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Nebakenezzer posted:

I'm glad I found this thread; I've read a few Gene Wolfe books recently, but don't really have anybody to talk about them with.

I read "Free Live Free" not so long ago, and once I got to the end, felt like re-reading it right away. I'm not sure if that's a good or bad thing; I got the point of what happens to the four main characters, how they are given what they truly want, but it turns out to be (mostly) non-satisfying, and so at the end they get what they want after - a chance for a do-over. It's just that I didn't really get the wanna-be film noir detective and the horny novelty salesman until after they get what they want; they were opaque to me as characters, and I want to see if the whole thing becomes clearer now that I have this insight.

Also: I finished book of the Long Sun recently. Quick question: is the link between the long sun and new sun the fact that *Typhon*, stand-in for Satan, is who constructed the Whorl in the first place? If so, having the tempter of Christ Severian as the author of your world certainly does explain a few things.

Read the Short Sun. It is better than the Long Sun and makes the connection more explicit.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

systran posted:

Is it bad that every time I see this thread get bumped I get scared that Gene Wolfe died :(

I saw 6 posts here and thought exactly this.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Good article. Only problem I had with it is that Latro is clearly not hallucinating unless you doubt absolutely every entry at which point the story becomes straight up meaningless.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

More specifically, humans are named after saints, aliens are not.

Palaemon is both a saint and a god. Some people think that he's really Ossipago, partly on this basis, Palaemon's relationship with Severian, and also because of the eye stuff he has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Chichevache posted:

Long Sun is his best work.

A bold assertion.