Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«961 »
Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Megasabin posted:

After watching the video I can see they 100% copied Smash in every aspect, and I love them for it. All this game needs to be amazing is the same winning formula with Sony characters and levels. Also I hope they try and cram in at least 30 characters, because the more the merrier in these types of games.

Copying the Smash formula might be trickier than you'd expect. I rented that one with the Cartoon Network characters, and despite copying a lot of gameplay elements (Dynamic stages, assist trophies, final smashes), the overall controls still felt off and sloppy. Hopefully these guys have honed it, the video certainly looks promising.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

Haha, while space marine is ripping off Snake's super move the host says "where do you come up with this stuff" with the sarcasm barely restrained.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, I'm liking the look of it. It does look like an HD-ified PlayStation equivalent of Smash. Just hoping it turns out more Melee and less Brawl. Also Toro. I want Toro drat it!

The only thing I don't like is that they have a graphical health bar on the UI and it is way too drat small. The reason Smash has the percentages is because its very easy to tell how damaged you are in it, but the health bars look like they could be tricky. ESPECIALLY since they're blue on blue!

Yechezkel posted:

More info on Battle Royale:

3rd party characters being present immediately fills me with hope. PlayStation's history is entrenched in 3rd party characters and there's quite a roster for them to choose from. The DLC potential means that even if we miss a major PlayStation current/former headlining character (like Snake or Cloud) we could always get them later. I'd totally shell out some cash for a good DLC dude.

The final boss has gotta be either PS3 Baby or Polygon Man. Something entirely left field like that.

Also that island stage they showed is from Jak and Daxter. I didn't recognize it at first but the fish that attempts to eat you when you fall into the water is from Jak 1 (so many nightmares )

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

TaurusOxford posted:

If this game can give me Kratos with his God Armor as an alternate costume, This is gonna be Game of the Forever for me.

His level 3 super puts on the Aries armor and gives him a new powerful move set, if that is what you were talking about.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Behonkiss posted:

And I never thought I'd see PaRappa again.
You gotta do what?
I gotta redeem!
Show about that
I gotta relieve!
You gotta do what?
I gotta revive
But most important
I gotta Believe!

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Any YouTube or iPhone friendly vid links? That GtTv link isn't playin on my iPhone... :/

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I can't believe they have the Hydra from the first God of War suddenly appearing on the Ratchet & Clank stage Also having Hades smashing the crap out of another level while you fight is cool as heck.

microwave casserole
Jul 5, 2005

my god, what are you doing

Bad character model princess has some of the exact same animations and moves as Peach.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007

Yare yare daze...

If Snake gets into Brawl but not this I will laugh so hard.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Can they use characters from PSN games? I want to see the less peaceful side of the dude from Journey. They could probably do some pretty creative things. I'd love to see a colossus from SOTC or one of the bosses from Demon Souls (Flamelurker )

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Wow that's pretty nea- Er... What are they doing to XCOM? God drat it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Policenaut posted:

The final boss has gotta be Kevin Butler. There can be no other choice.

Your keyboard hosed up and put something else there so I helped you out there. And the final boss will be unbeatable because Kevin Butler is unbeatable.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Those stages are loving amazing. Competent SSB gameplay + those stages + the revealed characters (plus third party dudes and dudettes) = multiplayer game of the year

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Megasabin posted:

Can they use characters from PSN games?

They have Fat Princess. She rides a giant chicken

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Man, the levels sound so much more interesting than the characters.

That's the problem in a nutshell. Sony's first party characters aren't that interesting for this kind of thing. I dunno, they just don't mesh the way Nintendo's do. I'm gonna buy it though, I'm sure. It's not the kind of thing you even need to hype, people will just end up buying it because.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Nice to meet ya, hee ho!

Ryaomon posted:

If Snake gets into Brawl but not this I will laugh so hard.

I was actually thinking that when they mentioned third-party characters. It'd be the best rage-inducing thing since Mega Man's appearance in Street Fighter X Tekken.

I really hope this game is good. Smash Bros. clones usually aren't very good, except maybe those Japan-only Jump games for the DS. Parappa is gonna be god tier.

Temascos
Sep 3, 2011

I'm really not so sure about this game, I was hoping they would do a massive 3d adventure or something rather than going for the Smash Bros formula. Just feels like Sony is ticking off genres of game they haven't worked on yet when its not even their strength (I think their best games tend to be 3d adventures).

But if there's a demo and it proves me wrong, then I don't mind.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Fuck you Nintendo

Quite frankly, I don't care how much this game rips off Smash. The way I see it, it's gonna be years before Nintendo gets out their game(they only JUST started working on it), and nobody has yet to make a smash bros. clone that was worth playing besides the Jump series. Sony's game has actual fighting game talent behind it, and it better drat well have better online than Brawl did, so as long as I can wreck people's poo poo with Kratos, i'm more than happy.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Gone to outer space
to shoot that dickbag in his face

If they ripoff Brawl gameplay at 1:1 and make online worth a drat, it's a Day One purchase for me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

yellowcar posted:

If they ripoff Brawl gameplay at 1:1 and make online worth a drat, it's a Day One purchase for me.
If they're gonna do that at least fix it so you can turn more easily, that has bedeviled me in every Smash game I have played.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

PlayStation Blog article about PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, includes video interview.

Just realized that's quite a mouthful of a title.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Feenix posted:

Any YouTube or iPhone friendly vid links? That GtTv link isn't playin on my iPhone... :/

Link to movie, from PS Blog
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1bQSw7FOUQ

...and IGN finally put up details on the Battle Royale

New info on controls

quote:

In a game like this, it should come as no surprise that SuperBot Entertainment wants it to feel accessible. And it most certainly does. Attacks are mapped to the Square, Triangle and Circle buttons coinciding with the direction you're pressing on the d-pad or left analog stick, giving each character an exceptional amount of moves. The right stick can be used to throw opponents, while the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

And then there's the most powerful button in the game: R2. By building a special meter for each character -- a la Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom -- players can unleash a torrent of special attacks that grow in power the higher the meter gets. For instance, Sly Cooper's standard first level attack might be fairly unimpressive, but his second level attack allows him to bomb enemies from above and can easily kill everyone on the screen. And if you get to a third level attack, watch out: Colonel Radec will get into a body-encompassing machinegun from Killzone 3, while Sweet Tooth turns into a gigantic truck to rain down destruction on his foes. These attacks spell almost certain death for everyone else on-screen.

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2012 around 07:26

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

Radec's 3rd level power-up instantly made him the first character I am going to play. The chance to enter into first-person mode and take pot-shots at everyone is too good to pass up.

Panic Restaurant
Jul 19, 2006

Hey Sony? Playable Tomba and Robbit, please.

I also like the idea of Polygon Man as a last boss/cameo/whatever.

UR NOT (RED)E

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

I am the man!

Panic Restaurant posted:

Hey Sony? Playable Tomba and Robbit, please.

I also like the idea of Polygon Man as a last boss/cameo/whatever.

UR NOT (RED)E

I like all of these ideas and now I'll be sad if (when) they don't happen.

Rirse
May 6, 2006

MY ONLY LOVE IN LIFE IS A WELL-LUBED SCARECROW

While I'm not that excite for this (Smash Bros clones tend to be awful), I do honestly hope they add Crash Bandicoot to this as a third party character. His game series is pretty dead at this point, but he used to BE the mascot for the Playstation for the longest time.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Game thread

Harlock fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2012 around 07:57

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

Watch Out!

The way the color seems to drain out of characters on that rainy stage (the Hydra and Clank one) is kind of blah. Hopefully that's more down to the shittiness of online video and it'll look better in-game.

I see they cribbed the character-distinguishing glowing outlines from TMNT Smash-Up.

Hope Chop Chop Master Onion makes the cut! KICK! PUNCH! ETC.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Holy poo poo apparently that Sorcery game is still alive and its coming out next month!? What the gently caress Sony.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

I don't really love the way you kill other characters. There are no health bars or ring outs (smash bros). Instead you fight until you gain enough meter to do a super, and people hit by the super are killed and are out of the match.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Fuck you Nintendo

Megasabin posted:

I don't really love the way you kill other characters. There are no health bars or ring outs (smash bros). Instead you fight until you gain enough meter to do a super, and people hit by the super are killed and are out of the match.

They're not eliminated from the match. They respawn after a few seconds.

Actually, it's an interesting take on the smash formula. Fight to build up your super meter, and the more bars you have, the more powerful the super which makes it more likely to kill your opponents and get more points.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at Apr 27, 2012 around 08:56

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH MUNCH

Manatee Cannon posted:

That's the problem in a nutshell. Sony's first party characters aren't that interesting for this kind of thing. I dunno, they just don't mesh the way Nintendo's do. I'm gonna buy it though, I'm sure. It's not the kind of thing you even need to hype, people will just end up buying it because.

Some of Nintendo's do. A lot of them only work because of SSB games though. We just don't remember because there's 3 now. I mean, Captain Falcon? Fox on foot?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

I wanna play that dinosaur from the PS1 tech demo disc.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Patapons fighting Hades?? I need this game.

Megasabin posted:

So it's kinda like FF Dissidia.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Some of Nintendo's do. A lot of them only work because of SSB games though. We just don't remember because there's 3 now. I mean, Captain Falcon? Fox on foot?

No, I think they mesh better than this. I didn't think Snake fit SSB, and someone like Kratos certainly won't. Plus, it's easier to take this kind of thing at face value when you're younger. Stylistically a lot of these characters are a poor fit.

Ring outs were a huge part of the charm of SSB and I think this game will be worse for not including them.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

Manatee Cannon posted:

No, I think they mesh better than this. I didn't think Snake fit SSB, and someone like Kratos certainly won't. Plus, it's easier to take this kind of thing at face value when you're younger. Stylistically a lot of these characters are a poor fit.

Ring outs were a huge part of the charm of SSB and I think this game will be worse for not including them.

gently caress ring outs.

Yes, a lot of the strategic value is determined by ring outs, but conversely tier lists are determined almost completely by bullshit things like a character's ability to ledge-camp.

I'm glad they're getting rid of them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

What are you talking about? Who cares about strategy in these games? If you're not playing them to dick your friends over and have a good time you are doing it wrong. Tier lists for SSB baffles me almost as much as competitive Pokemon.

DiminishedAngel
Jul 21, 2007

This Is My Story, Bitches

Manatee Cannon posted:

What are you talking about? Who cares about strategy in these games? If you're not playing them to dick your friends over and have a good time you are doing it wrong. Tier lists for SSB baffles me almost as much as competitive Pokemon.

My position is of a Smash player who's friend owned an N64/Gamecube and I myself didn't own a Smash game until the Wii came out, and was constantly infuriated by him winning so handily simply because he was better at ledge-camping, so take that as you will.

Honestly, I think eliminating ring outs will both decrease some of the hair-pulling cheapness factor but more importantly increase the chaos of 4-player free-for-all because everyone is going balls-to-the-wall offense instead of worrying about wave-dashing effectively.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

loving this, I showed the trailer to a friend of mine who played a lot of smash and his initial reaction?

"This doesn't really look that competitive".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight jerkers
Jun 27, 2009

Is it going to have tripping?

«961 »