Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«976 »
Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

It's always time

the truth posted:

DLC "season pass" announced for Uncharted 3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n=U3Club_101811

Because I don't care about skins at all and I don't know how much the map packs are going to cost on their own, I'm not sure if this is a good deal.
7 multiplayer DLC packs planned?! I'm glad Uncharted is all about the single player experience for me (although the multi is cool too).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

He's always
right there.

Crowbear posted:

Full on bat signal in the sky.

Awesome. I can't wait to play it. Apparently, Amazon didn't give me (or didn't have, I don't know) rlease date shipping, so I have to wait until tomorrow to play it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

What ps3 games support dts?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

It's always time

GreenBuckanneer posted:

What ps3 games support dts?
Killzone and Uncharted series, not sure about anything else.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"

I just finished the Homocide desk in LA Noire, so I went back and read the spoilers and discussion about that part now.

I didn't find it as annoying as people said it was. All the suspects I arrested, I had sufficient evidence to feel they were responsible for the murders. All the similarities between the crimes and the taunting messages and so forth, I thought might lead to a bigger conspiracy or something, but didn't necessarily mean I was arresting innocent people.

I honestly did not think "OK, there's someone else who is REALLY the killer in all these crimes, framing all these other seemingly-guilty people, and then I'm actually going to hunt down the Black Dahlia killer" until pretty darn late in the story. I didn't feel cheated or find it demeaning to have it happen either.

The only thing I found strange was that I charged one guy for one of the murders, and later on they still suggested I charged that guy, but then later on, it seemed like they were suggesting the other guy was charged instead.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

Flayer posted:

Killzone and Uncharted series, not sure about anything else.
MGS4 does too if memory serves.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

So, finally tried Rochard. That's easily one of the best Metroidvania-esque thingies I've played this year. The music is great, puzzles are clever, gameplay's tight, and I love John Rochard himself as a character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJJshpFD3s

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008
HAMDOGS: Like staring into the Flame of God

Shalinor posted:

So, finally tried Rochard. That's easily one of the best Metroidvania-esque thingies I've played this year. The music is great, puzzles are clever, gameplay's tight, and I love John Rochard himself as a character.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YJJshpFD3s

I was pleasantly surprised by it. Agree with everything you say, and in general it's just a fun sidescrolling puzzle game with good actiony bits.

Also yeah, Rochard is pretty awesome. This may be due in part to the fact that he is voice by Duke Nukem.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Haven't had a ton if Rochard playtime, but I, too, agree that it is pretty charming so far...

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

He's always
right there.

Well, I was on the fence about Rochard after the demo, but you guys seem to like it, so I might give it some more thought now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

...! posted:

You know, I'd started to think that I'd gotten really bad at Shadow of the Colossus but there seems to be a widespread consensus on multiple forums that the PS3 version is quite a bit harder than the PS2 version. The main cause of this seems to be that Wander gets shaken around much more easily, to the point that even if the colossus is just walking and not actively shaking, Wander still loses his balance and this makes it very hard to get a hit in on some colossi. Many people are saying that some of the time attacks are now nearly impossible because of this. It wasn't that big of a deal to me but it's definitely noticeable. Hopefully they'll patch it. :\

I was posting a lot about this a week or so ago, and I think I'll go back and load up a PS2 save to see if there's an actual difference. Number 15, specifically, seems to shake a HELL of a lot more than he ever did. I literally spent 45 minutes on him on hard mode. Granted, I wasn't getting any additional stamina or health and just playing straight through. But goddamn.

Trophy tips: don't bother with finding fruit until you've maxed your stamina. The quickest way to max stamina is to burn through colossi as quickly as possible, so do that. Collecting all the lizards is painful and slow as hell, not to mention buggy (so is collecting the fruit for that matter). If I had to do it over again, I'd go: Normal Mode, Time Trials (to unlock items), then NG+ until your stamina is maxed, THEN use the fruit lizard maps to get those trophies.

Even using the FAQ, finding the lizards is the worst loving thing in the world.

I've been out of the country for a week, so I think I'm going to stop playing SotC until I get bored by new games and feel like coming back. When I finished playing my last session, I was beginning to feel a bit abused.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

EC posted:

I was posting a lot about this a week or so ago, and I think I'll go back and load up a PS2 save to see if there's an actual difference. Number 15, specifically, seems to shake a HELL of a lot more than he ever did. I literally spent 45 minutes on him on hard mode. Granted, I wasn't getting any additional stamina or health and just playing straight through. But goddamn.

Trophy tips: don't bother with finding fruit until you've maxed your stamina. The quickest way to max stamina is to burn through colossi as quickly as possible, so do that. Collecting all the lizards is painful and slow as hell, not to mention buggy (so is collecting the fruit for that matter). If I had to do it over again, I'd go: Normal Mode, Time Trials (to unlock items), then NG+ until your stamina is maxed, THEN use the fruit lizard maps to get those trophies.

Even using the FAQ, finding the lizards is the worst loving thing in the world.

I've been out of the country for a week, so I think I'm going to stop playing SotC until I get bored by new games and feel like coming back. When I finished playing my last session, I was beginning to feel a bit abused.

After reading the trophy list for ICO/SotC I decided to simply not bother. I recommend everyone to just play the games and not worry about the trophies, they are just not worth the trouble.

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

Been chasin' tuna
nearly 27 years

Jamesman posted:

I honestly did not think "OK, there's someone else who is REALLY the killer in all these crimes, framing all these other seemingly-guilty people, and then I'm actually going to hunt down the Black Dahlia killer" until pretty darn late in the story.

How did you not see that coming when there are conversations about that very thing before, during and after every single murder? It could have only been more obvious if after every charge Phelps said "Welp we got the guy" and then he turns toward the screen and mutters "or did we?!" with psycho-esque violin.

Except that does happen, minus the violin.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

I'm relieved that other people are having trouble with SotC compared to the original. Even the first 3 Colossi seemed to have me off balance while climbing a lot more than I remembered.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You walk through life not knowing who the idiots are! That gives them the element of surprise! And that's how they ruin your day!

Payday: The Heist was downloadable through my PLAY share earlier even though PSN hadn't updated yet. Only found one game going so far but I'm itching to see if this is any good or not.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'm relieved that other people are having trouble with SotC compared to the original. Even the first 3 Colossi seemed to have me off balance while climbing a lot more than I remembered.

The only one I had difficulty with was the first agile one who you need to scare with fire, for some reason he was able to charge me everytime I stood up, literally stunlocking me to death if he hit me even once.
and the final colossi, who seemed a hell of a lot better at shooting giant bolts of energy than i remember! I couldn't get close to him even using cover at one point, his shots would reach me even when dive rolling.

This has nothing to do with the general 'shakiness' though. I haven't noticed anything about that, though I dont really feel like ploughing through sotc on ps2 at the same time to look for differences.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A man's life of 50 years
is nothing compared
to the age of this world

Life is but a fleeting dream

iastudent posted:

Payday: The Heist was downloadable through my PLAY share earlier even though PSN hadn't updated yet. Only found one game going so far but I'm itching to see if this is any good or not.

I noticed you playing that, I'm curious about it too. I saw the Trophy list and it sounds really diverse.

The Payday pre-order on the PSN has changed to the actual game now too, so if people can't wait for the official update to the store they can get it now.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

the truth posted:

DLC "season pass" announced for Uncharted 3.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...n=U3Club_101811

Because I don't care about skins at all and I don't know how much the map packs are going to cost on their own, I'm not sure if this is a good deal.

If there was any single-player content I would be all over that. I don't play enough Uncharted multi to pay $25. I payed for map packs for 2 and I can count on one hand how many times I played it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Classic Paille.

You guys aren't considering the fact that it's $5 for all the DLC if you PSN share it, though.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

You walk through life not knowing who the idiots are! That gives them the element of surprise! And that's how they ruin your day!

Policenaut posted:

I noticed you playing that, I'm curious about it too. I saw the Trophy list and it sounds really diverse.

The Payday pre-order on the PSN has changed to the actual game now too, so if people can't wait for the official update to the store they can get it now.

I just wrapped up a mission with some pubbies so here's what I've gleamed in my short time.

There's three classes that you can increase your reputation (XP) in while play: Assault, Sharpshooter and Support. Assault can unlock ammo bags to restock teammates, extra cable ties to subdue hostages (which are traded in after missions for additional money/reputation), and specialize mostly in automatic weapons. Sharpshooters can use trip mines, body armor and eventually sniper rifles and grenade launchers. Support gets a doctor bag to heal teammates with more specialized focus fire weapons like revolvers and shotguns.

The one heist we did had an interesting set-up. Your team strolls into the bank and has to locate the bank manager while not getting too close to guards so they can't see your weapons. Once you have everyone in position you signal the robbery to start. From there, it's running from one objective to another while having to deal with guards and SWAT officers busting through the front windows. You also have to watch for security cameras and shoot them out so the cops can't track your position.

It's definitely a teamwork game but I can see it being fun once you and your group knows what to do. Also it's HIGHLY recommended you use a mic while playing.

EDIT: There's also a single player mode with AI partners which probably helps with learning the heists.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Bring me an actual argument that isn't your personal feelings, something that's thought out longer than the tip of your dick.

DLing Payday at the moment. Anyone else getting this. It`s got a Left 4 Dead/SWAT 4ish vibe. e: add tamegaminggod

bushisms.txt fucked around with this message at Oct 19, 2011 around 01:21

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

not all who wander are lost

TheMostFrench posted:

The only one I had difficulty with was the first agile one who you need to scare with fire, for some reason he was able to charge me everytime I stood up, literally stunlocking me to death if he hit me even once.
and the final colossi, who seemed a hell of a lot better at shooting giant bolts of energy than i remember! I couldn't get close to him even using cover at one point, his shots would reach me even when dive rolling.

This has nothing to do with the general 'shakiness' though. I haven't noticed anything about that, though I dont really feel like ploughing through sotc on ps2 at the same time to look for differences.
I played through the PS2 version in preparation for the HD remake and it's pretty clear the difficulty has been ramped up somewhat. When I played the PS2 version the colossi weren't nearly as shaky (I can't speak for the trigger happiness of the final one, I've only killed 15 so far), and the HD remake marked the first time I've fallen off the 15th colossus, and it happened twice even though I have really high stamina and owned him on the PS2.

Hard mode's gonna be a bitch.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

bushisms.txt posted:

DLing Payday at the moment. Anyone else getting this. It`s got a Left 4 Dead/SWAT 4ish vibe. e: add tamegaminggod

Added you as KitchenGun.

A couple other things to add after playing some more. Hostages are also used to trade to get teammates back if they're gunned down and taken into custody. You can also mix and match unlocks from the three classes before you start a game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A man's life of 50 years
is nothing compared
to the age of this world

So is the PSN actually going to update or what? Has Sony said anything?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Classic Paille.

It's supposed to be a huge update today.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

Mew Mew Mew Mew
Mew Mew Mew

Policenaut posted:

So is the PSN actually going to update or what? Has Sony said anything?

Still nothing several hours after the usual time. This is kinda nuts.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A man's life of 50 years
is nothing compared
to the age of this world

Good Citizen posted:

Still nothing several hours after the usual time. This is kinda nuts.

What's kind of weird is that some of the stuff is here if you Search for it, like Street Fighter Alpha 3, but if you try to find bigger things like Okabu or Rocketbirds you get nothing.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

My Arkham City didn't come in the mail today, I was hoping to buy a bunch of stuff on the store in my grief and then get batman before they are installed. PS Blog put up like five articles about various games releasing today, it's a shame it's not going to be today in my timezone it seems.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Let's go trophy hunting!

Don't you guys get it? Payday was the update for today. Or so it seems...

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***

Another newbie question.

The Used Market and Playstation 3: What I Need To Know

I keep hearing about product codes for multi and such stuff. Does this mean gamefly is basically useless? Does this mean the used market is basically over for Ps3? I dont really have the money for an endless stream of 40-60 dollar games, many of which already have substantial amounts of content behind the DLC paywall.

So basically, Whats The Catch?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Talkc posted:

Another newbie question.

The Used Market and Playstation 3: What I Need To Know

I keep hearing about product codes for multi and such stuff. Does this mean gamefly is basically useless? Does this mean the used market is basically over for Ps3? I dont really have the money for an endless stream of 40-60 dollar games, many of which already have substantial amounts of content behind the DLC paywall.

So basically, Whats The Catch?

At most, you are locked out of multiplayer. All EA Games do this, Sony games starting this fall are doing it, Dirt 3 and Mortal Kombat have multiplayer codes, and a few others. The used market isn't dead for PS3 by any stretch, you just have to buy the multiplayer code on PSN.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

I said come in! posted:

At most, you are locked out of multiplayer. All EA Games do this, Sony games starting this fall are doing it, Dirt 3 and Mortal Kombat have multiplayer codes, and a few others. The used market isn't dead for PS3 by any stretch, you just have to buy the multiplayer code on PSN.

How expensive are these multiplayer codes usually? 1/4th the price of the original? 1/2? Do they come down in price after a while, or are they always locked at some fraction of the original price of the game?

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Talkc posted:

How expensive are these multiplayer codes usually? 1/4th the price of the original? 1/2? Do they come down in price after a while, or are they always locked at some fraction of the original price of the game?

Most of the time they're $10

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!

Oh. Thats not too bad. I was concerned that they would be more extreme ( I expect no less from our Corporate Overlords (tm) these days. )

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I guess I can kinda understand why developers do it; With used sales, non of that money goes to the developer and publisher. It's still greedy, and the industry has survived for a few decades with used game sales, but there is an argument to be made that developers deserve their fair share when someone wants a game of theirs. I all for supporting the developer, I love my hobby and the game industry, but i'm still going to call it how I see it, this is a greedy move. Especially coming from publishers like EA, who already make billions of dollars a year.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

Kobra Kommandant

- Superbowl XXXV -
Ravens 35, Giants 7

I completely agree with them doing it. They do not get any money from resales. They are the ones putting thousands of hours into their game so we can enjoy it, not Gamestop.

axleblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations America!

You're Addicted to Cocaine.

I'm okay with it for multiplayer because those servers take money to run.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001

Arkham City locks out some single player storyline content. I think maybe Rage did as well, but I am not sure if it was as integrated in to the game as the Arkham City stuff.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

A man's life of 50 years
is nothing compared
to the age of this world

Oh hey, there's the update... about 7 minutes from midnight where I live! A for effort, Sony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Rusty posted:

Arkham City locks out some single player storyline content. I think maybe Rage did as well, but I am not sure if it was as integrated in to the game as the Arkham City stuff.

It's all Catwoman's stuff, which you wouldn't even notice was gone if you didn't know it was supposed to be there. At least so far, her scenes are pretty obviously shoehorned into the main storyline. I'm not complaining - she's a blast to play as, but like RAGE (which is was the sewers, only one of which I actually ventured into), it's not vital to the core experience.

Hal and I have been having this discussion too, and I find myself sounding a little like an apologist when in reality I hate it just as much as anyone else, I'm just trying to see the rationale in the decision. There's no bullshitting the excuse for things like "online server upkeep" when it's all offline, either.

«976 »