Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

AngryBooch posted:

The deadzone is freakin massive, the input delay is double, and the aiming is actually more x/y axis bound in Uncharted 3 than in 2 (in single player only). UC2 had the best aiming for a third person game next to Gears 2 and 3 but Uncharted 3 seems to be a step back on that front. I have an easier time aiming in Mass Effect 2 for crying out loud.

Terrific game other than that, and aiming is drat good in multi.

I only had one minor complaint with the aiming in 2. When trying to make miniscule adjustments on a target, it was hard not to over-adjust. This is what I think they were trying to address with the changes in 3. I don't really know how to explain it other than aiming was a tad float in 2, and there were times when I thought I should have been hitting the target (part of my reticule was on the target or something) but I wasn't, and when I tried to make a little adjustment I felt like I was fighting the controls, and the reticule would often move too far. Other than that, I had no issues with 2's aiming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's aggravating to fail during a stealth section, only to be checkpointed to a place not even close to where you were with everyone shooting at you.

(speaking of U3 if it isn't obvious)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Back in April or so, the old thread had links to $20 and $50 US PSN cards on Amazon that would just instantly send you the code, no having to wait for the card to be delivered. Unfortunately, the links don't work anymore and I can't find new versions (all products I find are marked 'unavailable').

Did they just outright stop selling them that way? If not, anyone got a link? If so, can I get one if I don't have a US credit card but do have a Paypal?

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Stelas posted:

Back in April or so, the old thread had links to $20 and $50 US PSN cards on Amazon that would just instantly send you the code, no having to wait for the card to be delivered. Unfortunately, the links don't work anymore and I can't find new versions (all products I find are marked 'unavailable').

Did they just outright stop selling them that way? If not, anyone got a link? If so, can I get one if I don't have a US credit card but do have a Paypal?

You could always use this site:
http://www.maximuscards.com/

I've used it a few times and never had any issues with it.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh
Amazon stopped selling PSN games and point cards.

quote:

"however we can confirm that Amazon Digital Video Game Downloads is not currently offering Playstation Network online game codes and points cards."

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Stelas posted:

You can buy PSN codes from Bestbuy.com now. They just do a search for "PSN Card" and look for the products labeled "Downloadable Content." I wish they had a $10 card there. It was quite handy when it was on Amazon. On that note, I'm not sure why Amazon stopped selling the codes.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

:psyduck: So stupid. Very rarely do I ever look at Amazon and say that. They are generally fantastic, but this is just a boneheaded move that I don't understand.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

:psyduck: So stupid. Very rarely do I ever look at Amazon and say that. They are generally fantastic, but this is just a boneheaded move that I don't understand.
Yeah, I wonder what happened? Some falling out between Sony and Amazon? Is it related to this change of number of devices per account? I can't see how...

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I wonder what happened? Some falling out between Sony and Amazon? Is it related to this change of number of devices per account? I can't see how...

It might have been a preemptive measure with the devices change given the date of the article (though I can't remember when the stuff actually got removed from Amazon, I feel like it was earlier than that) but I get the feeling that's not the case. Plus, as you say, I can't think of how those two would be connected.

Maybe Sony didn't want to keep sharing a cut of the profits with Amazon for purchases made through them? I assume that game purchases in particular through Amazon had to have the cut that Amazon takes made up for by Sony or the developer agreeing to lose a little bit of their cut in order to have Amazon as a seller. I'm not really sure how the partnership with Amazon worked though.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

If anyone was on the fence about BF3, there's no reason to not get it (in a game share). It has to be downloaded from the UK store, but other than that, there doesn't seem to be any drawbacks. There may be some potential issues down the line with DLC, but hey 10 quid.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
This sucks, I was starting to have enough friends with PSN accounts that buying a nice PSOne classic as a christmas gift was viable!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I'm trying to like Sonic Generations, but those side missions are really annoying and required to unlock the main stages. The main stages though are really good. This is basically Sega Genesis era Sonic, taken into overdrive and pumped up with steroids.

Revitalized
Sep 13, 2007

A free custom title is a free custom title

Lipstick Apathy
Don't know if this has been posted but,

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1211502p1.html

Heavy Rain Director's Cut, $29.99 and it comes out in like 2 days.

I want it, but I already have the original release of Heavy Rain, so it's probably not worth it. Maybe if it goes on some major sale price, I can pick it up and pretend I'm just paying for the downloadables on the disc.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Top games played around the world on PS3 systems connected to PSN, from the Playstation app on Facebook, in number of countries that have the game in their top 5 list. Ties are broken by average rank.

1. Battlefield 3 - 56 countries
2. FIFA 12 - 52 countries
3. Uncharted 3 - 50 countries
4. Call of Duty: Black Ops - 40 countries
5. Batman: Arkham City - 22 countries

6. Gran Turismo 5 - 17 countries
7. Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 - 12 countries

Other games showing up in under 10 countries each in no order:
Modern Warfare 2, Dark Souls, FIFA 11, GTA IV, Pro Evolution Soccer 11, NHL 12, Uncharted 2, Driver San Francisco, Tales of Xillia, Dynasty Warriors 6/7 Chinese ver., Madden NFL 12, Winning Eleven 2012, Modern Warfare 3

Uncharted 3 shot up to 3rd overall, while Gran Turismo 5 dipped down.

Only Colombia and Bulgaria don't have Battlefield 3 in their top 5 lists.

As of now, the only region where Black Ops is the most popular game is in the Middle East.

France and Israel already have Modern Warfare 3.

Top 5 in the places talked about here:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, Japan's list suddenly looks a bit more similar to the others. Except with Fifa swapped out with Winning Eleven like usual.

edit: and Batman swapped out with Dark Souls. They're sort of similar, right? They both have heavy Metroid influences.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Nov 7, 2011

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded
What was the general consensus on Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One? It looks pretty skippable, even as a fan of the series.

I tried it out during the beta and wasn't too impressed. There was one big problem where someone joined during a boss fight, and the boss regained his health, but we didn't regain our ammo, so as far as I could tell we were pretty screwed over.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Yeah, I don't know why Amazon stopped selling PSN cards so it's hard to place the blame on them right now. All I know is that I no longer trust Sony with my credit card information so now that Amazon's stopped selling them, I'm gonna have to just buy PSN cards from stores from now on. :sigh:

Also, Dark Souls plat, bitches. :c00l:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Battlefield 3 being #1 in Japan really shocks me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

Battlefield 3 being #1 in Japan really shocks me.
Yeah, weird huh?

also I was thinking, does the ease of getting trophies influence this? If you get a trophy simply for starting the game (as many games do), wouldn't that make it go way up in the rankings?

proka
Feb 6, 2007

...! posted:

Also, Dark Souls plat, bitches. :c00l:

Great effort. I'm so broke right now and are in the middle of a move, so I've limited my gaming a fair bit. It's painful watching all of these fantastic games go by and not jumping on board. My last game was Deus Ex and I'm currently (slowly) moving my way through Dark Souls. I've just rang the second bell and am ready to be destroyed all over again.

Out of curiousity, how hard was the plat? How many playthroughs and what kind of time commitment am I looking at? I've played Dark Souls exclusively for the past month (plus indies on PC) and still feel like there's a lot to offer. Maybe I should stick at it through to plat...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

...! posted:

Yeah, killing the zombie guys always counts against that trophy. There are ways to take out the machine without typhooning the poo poo out of it.

Okay, good to know.

Playing back through for my plat right now, about 60% of the trophies done so far, most of those were during my first run - getting the ebook one and the do "bad" stuff like kill Diamond Chan instead of just plant the drugs ones now, along with the hard difficulty / no alarm / no kill ones.

God drat this is such a good game. I'm finding entirely different paths through sections than I did before. Like "holy poo poo where was all this last time?" kind of paths.

This is the absolute best sequel I have ever seen. I can't believe I'm saying this but it blows DX1 out of the water. It's exactly what a current gen Deus Ex game should be, and more.

Playing through as strict no alarm is awesome. I fudged it a few times last time because I accidentally saved after setting off an alarm once; now I'm not even alerting/alarming/making anyone hostile [where possible, aside from scripted events in the main plot I think there's been one or two times it's next to impossible not to get noticed, if even for a half-second before a takedown]. I'm going full ghost-mode through everything and it owns. Some very tight situations, and fully upgraded cloak is a godsend.

One of my favorite things about it is that the stealth aspect isn't bullshit. There's no cheap "how did they see that?!" or "I didn't even make a noise and it set off an alarm!". I have yet to see a single bullshit moment when sneaking around. Enemies have their vision cones and sound ranges and actually stick to them. If anything, I've gotten away with some poo poo I shouldn't have, like knocking a guy out close to another but for whatever reason he didn't hear my big metal fist go WHUMP into his friend's face. v:shobon:v

ninja: also, the plat doesn't seem to be that hard. Use a guide for the ebooks and the hidden trophies [some of which aren't that obvious] and just dedicate a second run to gathering up whatever you missed on your first. I got the majority of my trophies just playing.

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, weird huh?

also I was thinking, does the ease of getting trophies influence this? If you get a trophy simply for starting the game (as many games do), wouldn't that make it go way up in the rankings?

If you start a game, the trophy list will appear on your trophy collection even if you don't get any trophies at all. I don't think it will make a difference. Remember that Black Ops does not have multiplayer trophies and that's what everyone plays.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Are you ready for some HORSE RACING?!

Honestly I'm surprised there's finally a console release of the G1 Jockey series in the US, unless there was some earlier title I'm missing.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

iastudent posted:

Are you ready for some HORSE RACING?!

Honestly I'm surprised there's finally a console release of the G1 Jockey series in the US, unless there was some earlier title I'm missing.

I'm such a sucker for horse games, because (1) they're all so loving terrible and (2) my wife is big into horses and it's fun hearing her making fun of them. We tried playing one on the PS2 that was focused on hunters & jumpers, but it was just so laughably bad. I'm sure this one will be the same, so I'm looking forward to finding it in a bargain bin somewhere and getting an hours entertainment out of it.

I just got to Chapter 16 or thereabouts in Uncharted 3 (I'm about to get on the cargo plane), about how much do I have left? I need to wrap it up and put it in the mail to Gamefly so I can try to get Skyrim next.

I'm glad they're addressing the control issue, but it's a shame it shipped the way it did. I know some people don't have issues with it, but I find aiming very difficult and it makes most of the combat sections unfun. Especially since most of my attempts at making it through an encounter using stealth ends with Nate saying "poo poo" and then people shooting at me from all directions.

Elena is probably my favorite character in the series. Every time she's on the screen I'm smiling.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I'm considering getting Oblivion GOTY edition before I go for Skyrim. Can anyone let me know if this is a good/bad idea? Does it feel dated right now? Will I be at all impressed or interested after plugging dozens of hours into Fallout 3 and New Vegas? It's only $20 for GOTY on Amazon, so if there's any fun in there at all, I'm sure I'll go for it.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
As a Morrowind fan, I thought Oblivion was poo poo. Your mileage may vary.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BlindNinja posted:

I'm considering getting Oblivion GOTY edition before I go for Skyrim. Can anyone let me know if this is a good/bad idea? Does it feel dated right now? Will I be at all impressed or interested after plugging dozens of hours into Fallout 3 and New Vegas? It's only $20 for GOTY on Amazon, so if there's any fun in there at all, I'm sure I'll go for it.

Don't waste your money.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

...! posted:

As a Morrowind fan, I thought Oblivion was poo poo. Your mileage may vary.
Vanilla, yes. Modded, Oblivion became a thing of beauty. But if you're doing PS3 GOTY, no modding, so yeah - I'd suggest passing.

Oblivion is the reason I'm holding off on Skyrim until proper reviews start coming in.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
That was easy, thanks as always. Throwing that $20 at UMvC3!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

Vanilla, yes. Modded, Oblivion became a thing of beauty. But if you're doing PS3 GOTY, no modding, so yeah - I'd suggest passing.

Oblivion is the reason I'm holding off on Skyrim until proper reviews start coming in.
Even if it's ONLY as good as Oblivion, unmodded, I will still play the hell out of it. Oblivion has problems but it is definitely a quantity making it easier to forgive some gaps in quality kind of thing.

Fortunately it sure looks like it's going to be a lot better, it looks like it incorporates a lot of things people fixed in Oblivion with mods, but out of the box. I don't want to start a fight about it though because my experience with Morrowind is limited.

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
Oblivion aged horribly. The only thing that's gone well for it over the time it's been out is the sheer number of mods people have made for the PC version (it's loving insane how many mods there are for this game) and if you cobble a bunch together you can practically make an entirely new game that isn't "Adventures of Hitting Wolves With a Paper Sword".

As it is though, if you really want to play Oblivion on a console, just wait and listen for stuff on Skyrim.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

The thing I'm looking forward to Skyrim the most is having an entirely new world to explore. This game series hasn't really been about the challenges as much as it has been about exploring.

Still waiting on reviews and maybe for it to hit $40 on a sale though.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Vanilla Oblivion was such a snooze-fest. I bought the GOTY version and never did finish it.

I hope Skyrim can contend with Xenoblade for RPG GOTY.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Aren't Bethesda RPGs always full of bugs and prone to crashing/freezing when they're released? I'll never understand why people don't just wait a few months for the price to drop and the games to actually work properly.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Rated PG-34 posted:

I hope Skyrim can contend with Xenoblade for RPG GOTY.

Aren't those some pretty wildly different games to compare, though? I never got a chance to play Xenoblade (stupid region locks), but it seemed like the kind of JRPG most were hoping for this generation, while Skyrim is most definitely in lock-step with the Bethesda model of a Western RPG. They almost feel like different genres to me.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

SamBishop posted:

Aren't those some pretty wildly different games to compare, though? I never got a chance to play Xenoblade (stupid region locks), but it seemed like the kind of JRPG most were hoping for this generation, while Skyrim is most definitely in lock-step with the Bethesda model of a Western RPG. They almost feel like different genres to me.

Xenoblade had a beautifully crafted open world that was very rewarding to explore. To give some idea, I was generally unimpressed with the set pieces in Dark Souls after playing Xenoblade (albeit using Dolphin).

Also, I don't know how you can call yourself a serious game reviewer without having played it :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I wish Xenoblade came out on a relevant game console. It deserved better then the Wii.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

MUFFlNS posted:

Aren't Bethesda RPGs always full of bugs and prone to crashing/freezing when they're released? I'll never understand why people don't just wait a few months for the price to drop and the games to actually work properly.

If you want something you are automatically assuming it will be good, that's just how your brain works. The power of positive thinking is no joke.

'Why would I be hyped up for a lovely game? I'm smarter than that of course.'

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

I sure hope they didn't rush the game just so they could release on 11/11/11

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I said come in! posted:

I wish Xenoblade came out on a relevant game console. It deserved better then the Wii.

And since it's an Nintendo owned franchise (of sorts) no chance it'll come to the PS3 and Xbox!

AND it's still not loving coming out for the US!

• Locked thread