Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Harlock posted:

You might want to watch some gameplay impressions before you get the same comparison I did. Just a party of 3-4 people roaming the same countrysides, grinding for XP and skill points. I have no idea what the online community is like anymore.
That's pretty much what PSO was too.

:rimshot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

PSO was really good 10 years ago, when grindy RPGs were normal, but now I can't imagine playing it or any RPG like it anymore.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I said come in! posted:

PSO was really good 10 years ago, when grindy RPGs were normal, but now I can't imagine playing it or any RPG like it anymore.
I don't really have the stomach for grinding so much anymore either. I liked WKC and the grinding didn't bother me because I was playing with my friends and we were all having a good time. Playing solo, I think would have driven me crazy.

On the other hand, I think The Old Republic (my only reference point for a modern game with no grinding) both succeeds and fails as an MMO with it's toned down vision of grinding. It's so easy and casual that you just breeze through the game and levels come aplenty. However, people will probably not play the game as long since there's no chokepoint that requires days of grinding for one level.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

I said come in! posted:

What actually ended up happening, was the PC version has sold better then the console versions, by quite a bit. So I hope Bethesda keeps that in mind in the future.

With the popularity and ease of PC modding, I can't see how they didn't foresee this. Unless they figured, "screw it, the modders can fix it". Which is just terrible.

On a semi-related note, how hard would it be to actually port a more PS3-friendly version? I'm no game developer but surely one of the easier fixes would be to reduce the number of filler objects in each room?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

I said come in! posted:

What actually ended up happening, was the PC version has sold better then the console versions, by quite a bit. So I hope Bethesda keeps that in mind in the future.

Do we have any official data to back this up? I was under the impression the 360 version was dominant.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
40 dollars later and I can easily say that I hate Dark Souls. Thankfully I have a good paying job and AC Revelations to play so I don't really care.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
I suppose it wouldn't be too much to ask why you hate Dark Souls, would it? Because it definitely isn't a game for everyone, but if it's because you're doing something incredibly wrong, or misunderstanding a mechanic or something, I'd love to see you give it another chance.

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

So this is semi-related to my Dead Island post from last night..

I am a relatively new PS3 owner, had it for about 6 months. I've mostly been catching up on exclusives I missed out on, but have recently started diving into multi-platform stuff. So far a couple of them have stood out as being really bad compared to the 360 versions, namely Skyrim and Dead Island. Skyrim's issues are well documented at this point, and Dead Island has framerate hitches and audio glitches that the 360 version doesn't seem to have.

This has made me really paranoid about multi-platform games. I'm wondering if there are any other multi-plat games that are notoriously bad on the PS3? I have played through the PS3 versions of Saints Row: The Third, Dark Souls, and RAGE, and encountered no significant issues, so at least not all multi-plat games suffer. In general are most PS3 multi-plat games fine? Slight differences I can easily ignore, for example in RAGE I know the 360 textures load slightly faster than the PS3's, resulting in less pop-in, but it never bothered me at all. Framerate problems and audio glitches are things I tend to notice a lot more.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008

TaurusOxford posted:

40 dollars later and I can easily say that I hate Dark Souls. Thankfully I have a good paying job and AC Revelations to play so I don't really care.

I know Dark Souls isn't for everyone, but how much time did you give this game? Dark Souls is hands down my favorite game of the year and it makes me upset when people dismiss it. :( What happened?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Wildtortilla posted:

I know Dark Souls isn't for everyone, but how much time did you give this game? Dark Souls is hands down my favorite game of the year and it makes me upset when people dismiss it. :( What happened?
maybe blight town happened...

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Kimoosabi X posted:

I am a relatively new PS3 owner, had it for about 6 months. I've mostly been catching up on exclusives I missed out on, but have recently started diving into multi-platform stuff. So far a couple of them have stood out as being really bad compared to the 360 versions, namely Skyrim and Dead Island. Skyrim's issues are well documented at this point, and Dead Island has framerate hitches and audio glitches that the 360 version doesn't seem to have.

This has made me really paranoid about multi-platform games. I'm wondering if there are any other multi-plat games that are notoriously bad on the PS3? I have played through the PS3 versions of Saints Row: The Third, Dark Souls, and RAGE, and encountered no significant issues, so at least not all multi-plat games suffer. In general are most PS3 multi-plat games fine? Slight differences I can easily ignore, for example in RAGE I know the 360 textures load slightly faster than the PS3's, resulting in less pop-in, but it never bothered me at all. Framerate problems and audio glitches are things I tend to notice a lot more.

Bayonetta runs noticeably worse on PS3.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Dark Souls has me kinda iffy. I loved Demon's Souls, but so far in comparison the "sequel" is feeling really un-compelling and generic. I'm probably not far enough at all, I've only just met the guy telling me something about two bells. I feel like I'm still in the tutorial, but even the fodder enemies seemed much harder in the previous title. Also skeletons that respawn until you shave away their life? That seems pretty lazy in comparison.

The game is suffering from no clear cut goals, but I'm hoping if I stick it out there will be bonfires and group adventures aplenty.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

revolther posted:

Dark Souls has me kinda iffy. I loved Demon's Souls, but so far in comparison the "sequel" is feeling really un-compelling and generic. I'm probably not far enough at all, I've only just met the guy telling me something about two bells. I feel like I'm still in the tutorial, but even the fodder enemies seemed much harder in the previous title. Also skeletons that respawn until you shave away their life? That seems pretty lazy in comparison.

The game is suffering from no clear cut goals, but I'm hoping if I stick it out there will be bonfires and group adventures aplenty.
Well, the goals are not clear cut in that you don't know what they are yet, that is true. You will eventually though. Also the feeling that it is generic compared to Demon's will go away in time too, Dark's environments are much more varied.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Kimoosabi X posted:

My suggestion may see a bit dumb but sort of weigh out pros and cons of what the multiplatform version has to offer, if it makes sense.

I mean a simple google title (x) ps3 vs 360 comparison will work for graphics, but the other two things to think about are exclusive content or some sort of bonus/extra/multidisc vs single disc, and if it has multiplayer community. I think some games might just have a gut feeling of being on a preferred console, like LA noire and Deadspace2 being shining stars of multiplat awesomeness (single disc, exclusive content). Even JC2 was pretty cool on ps3 due to the exclusive youtube upload integration.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 30, 2011

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

Scyron posted:

I think some games might just have a gut feeling of being on a preferred console, like Dark Souls.

Dark Souls is a bad example since the 360 version got a patch late and had issues with people hacking their characters to max stats with a character editor. Not sure if it's still an issue though since I haven't been keeping up with the thread anymore.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

sentrygun posted:

Dark Souls is a bad example since the 360 version got a patch late and had issues with people hacking their characters to max stats with a character editor. Not sure if it's still an issue though since I haven't been keeping up with the thread anymore.

I just meant that since Demon's Souls was an exclusive on ps3, there isn't much reason to jump ship, unless getting use out of live/achievements is a player's top priority. I looked at it that tons of crazy players from Demon's Souls would just stay on ps3 when moving on to Dark Souls.

I wasn't even aware of the hacking.

ColdCock
Jun 3, 2001

God's Hand

Samurai Sanders posted:

Well, the goals are not clear cut in that you don't know what they are yet, that is true. You will eventually though. Also the feeling that it is generic compared to Demon's will go away in time too, Dark's environments are much more varied.

Yeah, and you're making judgements based on the first ten minutes of a pretty drat lengthy game. Demon's Souls felt just as strange and generic the first few minutes in.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Scyron posted:

I just meant that since Demon's Souls was an exclusive on ps3, there isn't much reason to jump ship, unless getting use out of live/achievements is a player's top priority. I looked at it that tons of crazy players from Demon's Souls would just stay on ps3 when moving on to Dark Souls.

I wasn't even aware of the hacking.
The PS3's online community for Dark is much better. I still regret getting it for the 360, even with the late patch.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
Does anyone know what the story is with Ueda and The Last Guardian? There are all kinds of rumors and conjecture flying around but very little solid info.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Ueda has left Sony, but will continue to work on the game. One of the other big producers for the game has also left Sony, and went to work on some social game if I remember right. Those are the only things we know for sure.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

revolther posted:

If you're just to the dude talking about two bells, you're literally at the beginning of the game proper. Everything up until that point was a tutorial, and at this point you should talk more to him. He'll tell you to head up to the Undead Burg, and from there the Undead Parish to ring the first bell. After that, you have to head down to Blighttown and ring the second. That will probably take at least a dozen hours your first time doing it.

And then the real game will begin.

Dark Souls is, hands-down, one of the best games I've ever played. It's not just that From Software has an incredibly imaginative staff, it's that they're able to really bring those ideas to life. Once you get deep enough into the game, the sheer variety and creativity of the environments will floor you. Generic is like an antonym for Dark Souls, I promise.

Shalinor posted:

The PS3's online community for Dark is much better. I still regret getting it for the 360, even with the late patch.

Can you elaborate on this a little? I don't know what you mean, but I will confirm that from personal experience the PS3 community is awesome as hell. I had one guy invade my game, who then waited until I was done with a fight before engaging me. Since I knew he would wreck me, like all phantoms do, I bowed to him before he engaged me, and he left me two Humanity as a gift. Then I bowed again, we squared off... and he parried/backstabbed me into oblivion. It was incredible.

SamBishop fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 30, 2011

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Dark Souls is the king of games but after about 160 hours and a combined four or five times through the game with a few different character builds, I think I am ready to set it aside for a while.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Dark Souls has one area where it feels like they completely ran out of ideas and made something that is just kind of stupid and not interesting. This area is also entirely skippable though.

Overall though, in what will probably go down as one of the best year in game history, Dark Souls was still pretty easily my favorite game.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

SamBishop posted:

Can you elaborate on this a little? I don't know what you mean, but I will confirm that from personal experience the PS3 community is awesome as hell. I had one guy invade my game, who then waited until I was done with a fight before engaging me. Since I knew he would wreck me, like all phantoms do, I bowed to him before he engaged me, and he left me two Humanity as a gift. Then I bowed again, we squared off... and he parried/backstabbed me into oblivion. It was incredible.
Oh no, not that way - the PS3 community is just allegedly much larger, which makes MP interactions more likely as compared to on the 360. It sometimes feels ghost town'y over on the 360 side.

It might also be that the network architecture is better on PS3 side, not sure.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Shalinor posted:

Oh no, not that way - the PS3 community is just allegedly much larger, which makes MP interactions more likely as compared to on the 360. It sometimes feels ghost town'y over on the 360 side.

It might also be that the network architecture is better on PS3 side, not sure.

Ahhh, gotcha. Yeah, I'm just now getting back to the game after doing a mock review and reviewer's guide of it for Namco a few weeks before the game shipped. Back then, there was NOBODY online, so it definitely felt empty. Firing things back up and seeing the floor littered with notes and bloodstains is awesome, as is seeing the odd person at a bonfire or running around as a ghost.

I would never fault someone for not liking the game, as it's definitely a very particular experience, but in the thousands of games I've reviewed over the years, not one of them has done scale and atmosphere like this one. The deepest, darkest recesses of the game are just insane, and I loooooove how Anor Londo tends to worm its way into most of the major areas in the game; the flying buttresses are down in Blighttown, the walls loom over the Undead Burg, and then, eventually, you get to see it in all its sunlit glory, only to find the place is massive and almost completely empty.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't know why but I have an urge to preorder Hyperdimension Neptunia 2. I think the stress of this year has officially driven me insane. :smith:

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

axleblaze posted:

I don't know why but I have an urge to preorder Hyperdimension Neptunia 2. I think the stress of this year has officially driven me insane. :smith:

Buying a straitjacket to prevent yourself from buying that mess would be a cheaper and more effective purchase.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

sentrygun posted:

Buying a straitjacket to prevent yourself from buying that mess would be a cheaper and more effective purchase.

Straitjackets are like $150. He'd have to use it to prevent himself from buying at least 3 terrible JRPGs to make his money out of it.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

axleblaze posted:

Don't encourage NIS America to keep releasing dreck like that in the US when they still won't release actual, good NIS-developed games like the PSP versions of La Pucelle and Makai Kingdom. I'm subscribed to their newsletter and every time I get an email from them it's like an almanac of bad decisions. Their latest one had them announcing that they licensed some anime I've never heard of, and then I remembered that they do anime now for some reason.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

The PSP is dead to NISA now, isn't it? I mean, aside from that one baffling decision they're making to localize Black Rock Shooter.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I would think the system would be dead to most developers now, wouldn't it? Is there anything big coming out next year for the PSP? The Vita is going to be a must own once Persona 4 Portable comes out.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Policenaut posted:

The PSP is dead to NISA now, isn't it? I mean, aside from that one baffling decision they're making to localize Black Rock Shooter.

I did not know that. Great, they're releasing a non-NIS RPG on a dead system instead of an NIS RPG on a dead system, that makes sense. Why does NIS have an American branch anyway? I'm surprised they didn't pass on Disgaea 4 so they could bring over Love Plus or some poo poo.

*angry about NISA*

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I still can't believe NISA is localizing that. It's like they looked at all the games on those localization forums that people bug them about and went "Yeah, this mediocre action RPG that stars a niche as hell Japanese video game pop star's alter-ego is totally what we should spend our money on". Instead of, you know, the games that the pop star is actually from. Or better yet, games that their Japanese branch has made.

Oh well, at least that's sort of better than Atlus' "localize every single mediocre DS JRPG!!!" goal.

I said come in! posted:

I would think the system would be dead to most developers now, wouldn't it? Is there anything big coming out next year for the PSP? The Vita is going to be a must own once Persona 4 Portable comes out.

Depends on your meaning of the word "big". If you're one of those hardcore niche JRPG fans then the PSP is basically going out on a very high note with games like Grand Knights History, Gungnir, (probably) Growlanser 4: Over Reloaded, and maybe someday Trails in the Sky 2. The only BIG big game, like one that's not niche anime stuff, is Final Fantasy Type-0.

But yeah from here on out its basically four localization companies playing a zero-sum game over the remaining scraps of PSP diehards while Vita looms in the distance.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The Vita is kind of bombing in Japan so I would be curious to see if developers embrace it.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat

EC posted:

I've said it before, but I think it's a valid point: I'm loving sick to death of Kratos. The first two games he's pretty unrepentant about who he murders, but there are (shaky) reasons for his rage and it didn't really bother me. By the time I was done with 3, I was loving tired of listening to the dude whine all the time.

It's a no-brainer that they're gonna make a fourth game, as it's a super-big-huge Sony exclusive, but I hope that the attitude changes a bit. I'll probably play it either way, as the gameplay and graphics are usually a helluva lotta fun, but still.

ARRRRRRR ZEUUUUUUUUUSSSSSS

I understand your point, but as a counter argument, If you play through Chains of Olympus and Ghost of Sparta you will realize he has all the reasons in the entire Greek world to be as upset as he is - even after all the God of War III carnage.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Straitjackets are like $150. He'd have to use it to prevent himself from buying at least 3 terrible JRPGs to make his money out of it.

That's actually quite feasible. Terrible JRPGs is as common as dirt.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

The Vita is kind of bombing in Japan so I would be curious to see if developers embrace it.

That makes me sad. :( I would have thought it would do very well in Japan, especially at its price point. I wonder if smartphones have a lot to do with it?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

I said come in! posted:

That makes me sad. :( I would have thought it would do very well in Japan, especially at its price point. I wonder if smartphones have a lot to do with it?
Honestly I don't understand the smartphone situation over there very well. They are starting to be a thing, but there seems to be heavy resistance as well (they don't like foreign manufactured electronics, especially Korean), I don't know which wins out in the end.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Japan LOVES those stupid flip phones don't they? Every time I ever see like b-roll of Japan or like a modern Japanese game, they all have those long flip phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

Japan LOVES those stupid flip phones don't they? Every time I ever see like b-roll of Japan or like a modern Japanese game, they all have those long flip phones.
Yep. They know that the whole rest of the world thinks they are backwards or eccentric on technology and are turning it into a badge of honor.

edit: here's a good idea of how things are in Japan right now. It looks like they are selling about half and half smartphones and flip phones. However, looking over this, there are a lot more domestically produced android phones than I thought. Maybe things are changing?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Dec 31, 2011

• Locked thread