Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jesus, I get Resistance 3 from Gamefly today and what happens when I first put it in? 676mb of patching.

spidoman posted:

More Journey talk: My wife didn't have a companion at the end on her play through which I think made the ending not quite as beautiful.

Also, it's a game that can be better appreciated by someone who is actually good at video games. Someone who is still struggling with the basic gameplay mechanics and controls at the end... it's just not the same.

I can see an issue with not-videogame people being drawn in by how easy the early levels are only to be turned off by the last/next to last levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
I found Shadow of the Colossus and ICO on the PSN store for my PS3, bout 50 bucks for both. I've heard lots of love for SotC on here, how about ICO? Is it worth buying the bundle or should I just get SotC for about $30?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Nierbo posted:

I found Shadow of the Colossus and ICO on the PSN store for my PS3, bout 50 bucks for both. I've heard lots of love for SotC on here, how about ICO? Is it worth buying the bundle or should I just get SotC for about $30?

Isnt the collection 40 bucks for both? Just get the collection from retail.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Nierbo posted:

Speaking from my PS2 experience they're totally separate game styles with similar theme and art direction. If you like puzzle+action gameplay, I'd think you'd like both of them but Ico isn't a prerequisite to enjoying SOTC.

I personally liked Ico but I loved SOTC. I would get the bundle just because I like the thematic style they brought to both games. Plus it led to one of the handful of times I liked a Penny Arcade strip. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/9/28/

Zmanl0p6
Apr 7, 2007

i am gun drive a trane up u
Wow, yeah. Journey is just astoundingly beautiful in all facets. I completed it with a companion for the most part. In the first few areas I actively avoided the other player I saw in the distance, and then as I got further in it became harder to avoid him. Not even sure why I was trying to, because having another companion around was actually really fun and added a lot to the experience. Especially in the underground section with the sand serpents. They attacked him first and attacked him often, and I almost considered leaving him behind completely so they would focus on him and not me. I didn't leave him behind but I was able to stealth my way through and not lose my scarf. Having a companion around for the end areas is essential. Don't worry buddy, we'll help each other through!

I was also really surprised to learn that I had like 8 companions through the experience instead the one or two I thought it had been.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?

Ape Agitator posted:

Speaking from my PS2 experience they're totally separate game styles with similar theme and art direction. If you like puzzle+action gameplay, I'd think you'd like both of them but Ico isn't a prerequisite to enjoying SOTC.

I personally liked Ico but I loved SOTC. I would get the bundle just because I like the thematic style they brought to both games. Plus it led to one of the handful of times I liked a Penny Arcade strip. http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2001/9/28/

blackguy32 posted:

Isnt the collection 40 bucks for both? Just get the collection from retail.

Okay thanks, I'll dive in. And you're right blackguy, I found it for ~35 on ebay.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
At first having reviews of Journey two weeks before the game was released didn't make sense. But now the review release, combined with all the user feedback from those playing it early, now seems like a very smart strategy that has created two weeks of continuous buildup of hype, first with the reviewers, and now with the users.

I think this game is going to sell extremely well. Hell it might even sell some PS3s.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There's some really interesting stuff going on in the last couple of levels for Journey, mostly involving player character reaction to the extreme cold of the mountain. So you get stuff like slower movement, flight no longer working/not being able to keep scarf energy and even losing the ability to "talk" in the worst moments.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Also, I'm reading reactions over at the Journey official forums, and I must be dim since I never realized this until now. (post from the forum follows)

I have to admit that every emotion came over me during the game, I had tears in my eyes when I realised that the small cloth creatures were being consumed by the flying (robots?). To then realise that the people of that land were using the cloth as a power supply when it was a life and that they destroyed themselves because of it.

So did everyone else pick that up, and I'm just an idiot?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theblackw0lf posted:

Also, I'm reading reactions over at the Journey official forums, and I must be dim since I never realized this until now. (post from the forum follows)

I have to admit that every emotion came over me during the game, I had tears in my eyes when I realised that the small cloth creatures were being consumed by the flying (robots?). To then realise that the people of that land were using the cloth as a power supply when it was a life and that they destroyed themselves because of it.

That is the gist of what I got as well.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

theblackw0lf posted:

I didn't really see things the same way

I never considered the cloth to be a living thing. I got the power supply thing, but thought of it more as "nature" more than a specific living creature. But my wife also looked at them as creatures that were dying. In the snow levels she made the comment "Is there any way that I can save them?"

Also, during the last of the snow section, the ability to not sing at my companion really hit me emotionally. For the entire game I would casually and gleefully sing at my companion as we did stuff. To only be able to push out a whisper was heartbreaking.

Also, I've completed three full games, I guess the robe patterns finish at the 4th or 5th playthrough. It's definitely a sense of pride when I can help someone with no pattern.

I had a fun moment of surprising my wife when I told her that the companion that she'd been playing with for the last hour wasn't the computer, it was another person playing. It completely changed the way she was interacting.

What a great game, I want to play it again...

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I guess I'll be buying Journey when I'm done with my RoF game tonight! That's... a lot of praise in this thread, drat.

So yeah RoF: holy poo poo the special combat zone with the three Goliaths. How is this possible, holy gently caress. They attack every turn, either with the poison grenades or the eye lazer that converts scratch [from the poison] to direct... aaaaargh. There's not enough room to set up a tri attack because those giant assholes always walk into my jumping paths and gently caress it up.

So.. AP rounds again then? They have so drat much armor that conventional "scratch-direct-scratch-direct" isn't really working, they kill me before I can strip enough armor off to start hitting their bodies.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

This thread is a minefield of Journey spoilers! :eek:

Is this something my GF could play? She's mostly into oldschool lucasarts games. I made her try portal thinking it would be the right thing for her, but she freaked out and was really scared of the turrets(:confused:).
I can't wait for the work-weekend to be over and then finish my school stuff and then finaly play it :sigh:

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Sistergodiva posted:

This thread is a minefield of Journey spoilers! :eek:

Is this something my GF could play? She's mostly into oldschool lucasarts games. I made her try portal thinking it would be the right thing for her, but she freaked out and was really scared of the turrets(:confused:).
I can't wait for the work-weekend to be over and then finish my school stuff and then finaly play it :sigh:

I don't think there's any scary scenes in Journey and besides, you're going to enjoy it even if she doesn't sooooo v:shobon:v

Saedar
Nov 4, 2009

Tell me why I had to be a powerslave.
Got a technical issue (I think...) with my ps3. Bought a new slim earlier this week and have been playing mass effect 3. When I press the PS button to go to the x-media bar I just get a black screen. Only seems to happen with mass effect 3. Any ideas? I am using a HDMI cable to connect the ps3 to my computer monitor.

Taratang
Sep 4, 2002

Grand Master

muscles like this? posted:

Jesus, I get Resistance 3 from Gamefly today and what happens when I first put it in? 676mb of patching.
You think that's bad you should try Disgaea 4 - 1800mb patch the first time you boot it up.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
I just came in to say, I know everyone is busy with their Journeys and Mass Effects, but if anyone's looking for a fun, action-packed game, pick up Binary Domain. It's surprisingly entertaining. :shobon:

French robot 4 lyfe.

Susat
May 31, 2011

Taking it easy, being green

Taratang posted:

You think that's bad you should try Disgaea 4 - 1800mb patch the first time you boot it up.

What on earth did they fix/add?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Azruelli posted:

What on earth did they fix/add?

A crap load of DLC.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

No possible way I'm going into the ME thread, so I'm going to ask here. Is the opening cutscene supposed to be at jumpy and like 15 freaking frames per second? Is my PS3 dying or is Bioware so lazy that they think it's okay to make the first impression of their game be so poor on the PS3?

Sudden Loud Noise fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Mar 10, 2012

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

spidoman posted:

No possible way I'm going into the ME thread, so I'm going to ask here. Is the opening cutscene supposed to be at jumpy and like 15 freaking frames per second?

No, its not SUPPOSED to be. But it is.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

A crap load of DLC.
At least its not Disgaea 3, where they patched in a 500MB anime trailer for the Raspberyl DLC. Thanks nisa, I really needed to see that.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

omnibobb posted:

No, its not SUPPOSED to be. But it is.

Is every cut scene going to be like this? If so, they thought this was ready to be released?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

spidoman posted:

Is every cut scene going to be like this? If so, they thought this was ready to be released?

They left the vsync on, unlike the 360 version. At least you won't get any tears on the screen? :)

Recycle Bin
Feb 7, 2001

I'd rather be a pig than a fascist
I finally bought a PS3, and I'm interested in picking up a good multiplayers FPS. It looks like there are a gajillion military-themed games out right now. Does anyone have any advice on a good one to pick up for someone who has never played anything more complicated than Team Fortress?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Recycle Bin posted:

I finally bought a PS3, and I'm interested in picking up a good multiplayers FPS. It looks like there are a gajillion military-themed games out right now. Does anyone have any advice on a good one to pick up for someone who has never played anything more complicated than Team Fortress?

Pick up Killzone 3 to start with on PSN since its only $15 and a lot of people are playing it right now. In fact you can just get the demo for now, it comes with all of the DLC and lets you get up to rank level 10.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Recycle Bin posted:

Modern Warfare 3 would be good. People hate it and love it to extremes, but it's a good place to start if you're interested in modern online FPS gaming.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

spidoman posted:

Only the really graphically intensive cutscenes with lots of people and stuff in them are at 15fps. But yeah, it's pretty shameful.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

So yeah RoF:

If it's the battle I'm thinking of - a kind of mazelike combat area with a lot of walls - it's very helpful to abuse LoS and jumping Hero actions, trying to place each one so you end up behind a wall after your attack.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Stelas posted:

If it's the battle I'm thinking of - a kind of mazelike combat area with a lot of walls - it's very helpful to abuse LoS and jumping Hero actions, trying to place each one so you end up behind a wall after your attack.

Nope, it's on level 8, with a single box in the middle of the room and three goliaths in a triangle around it.

After reading some more about that, apparently it's just kind of known as a ridiculously hard battle, and I'm nowhere near close enough to being ready for it. Gonna go snag the extra SMG in the Dakota Vein for one thing, because that's gonna be nice to have.

feraltennisprodigy
May 29, 2008

'sup :buddy:
Getting a 90 day PS+ subscription for Journey was totally worth it. :frogbon:

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

feraltennisprodigy posted:

One of us! One of us! :woop:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

IS journey discounted for ps+? Also, how much is it?

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

NESguerilla posted:

IS journey discounted for ps+? Also, how much is it?

Not discounted, PS+ gets to play it a week early, as in right now. Everybody else has to wait until Tuesday. $15 no matter what.

Zmanl0p6
Apr 7, 2007

i am gun drive a trane up u

feraltennisprodigy posted:

Yeah I did this too and don't regret it at all.

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So I have a 50 dollar psnetwork gift card with no idea what to spend it on. Would buying ps+ get me Journey?

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Kneel Before Zog posted:

So I have a 50 dollar psnetwork gift card with no idea what to spend it on. Would buying ps+ get me Journey?
It would get you access to it a few days early - I believe it hits for the rest of us next Tuesday.

... but either way, you'd have plenty of money left to get Rochard, so get that too.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

decent month to get PS+ too, free Sly Cooper and SF2 HD

Kneel Before Zog
Jan 16, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shalinor posted:

It would get you access to it a few days early - I believe it hits for the rest of us next Tuesday.

... but either way, you'd have plenty of money left to get Rochard, so get that too.

Whats Rochard like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnquietDream
Jul 20, 2008

How strange that nobody sees the wonder in one another
I wasn't sure where the correct place to ask this would be but I'm fairly sure someone has to know the answer here. I bought the god of war collection (God of War I and II) and I can't get any attacks that require mashing of the grapple (circle) button to work. This is particularly annoying as the first major boss (the hydra) requires you to mash the circle button. All that happens is that Kratos essentially holds the hydra in place with it moving a little towards him and then going back and forth until it times out and Kratos gets slammed against the mast. Am I doing something drastically wrong? The prompt for press circle button also disappears which I'm not sure if that's supposed to happen (here for instance its there for the entire sequence: http://youtu.be/IWFgh4xgi-Q?t=5m29s) Or is there a way to fix this because without it I literally can't move past this point in the game.

Edit: Never mind, just did it. Either it fixed itself or I just did a hell of a lot more button mashing.

UnquietDream fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Mar 11, 2012

• Locked thread