Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the_american_dream posted:

While I am actually one of the few on this board who enjoyed the New York simulator GTA IV, im still not sure why people mention the girlfriends/bro dates as if any of that poo poo was mandatory. You can easily ignore them or turn off your phone and just do the missions.
It's kind of embarrassing but I got sick of that feature (among other things) in GTA4 and sold it, having never known that you can turn that feature off. I know I'm not alone either. Rockstar should have thought carefully about whether to make such an obnoxious thing be on by default, and not telling the player outright that it can be turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I swear GTA4 had a little pop-up message on the phone going "Oh yeah if you need some alone time then just go into the phone menu and change this setting" or something.

The biggest problem GTA4 had, gameplay wise, was with its checkpoint system. Jesus, how did it take so long for them to do something Saints Row had down pat?

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.

Policenaut posted:

The biggest problem GTA4 had, gameplay wise, was with its checkpoint system. Jesus, how did it take so long for them to do something Saints Row had down pat?
As in you've just completed the most grueling, grinding, thumb cramp-inducing mission in the history of missions but still have to drive back to a random location halfway across the city to trigger it as complete? (Probably getting killed by a wayward ambulance on the way.)

robot roll call
Mar 7, 2006

dance dance dance dance dance to the radio

the_american_dream posted:

Now the complaint about the lack of variety in missions is a different story

They need to get a little more creative. I felt like half of the missions were you doing a drug deal or a dropoff or something, but get this: the deal went bad! Just once I wanted to plunk down the duffle bag full of coke, have the dude be like "Great, my coke! here's the correct amount of money!" and we both go our separate ways.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The New York City simulator part was great, but the game part was lacking, especially compared to San Andreas.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Yechezkel posted:

Highlight the PS+ cloud save folder, push Triangle, and select Information. It will show an error history and it might explain what is messing up the uploading process.

Yeah it gave me an error message (a code) which when googled, has one unanswered post on the SOny boards.

loving retarded.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Welp had 20 minutes free and ran to Best Buy for my copy of Dead Souls.

Anyone know of a PS3 emulator that'll run on a Core2Duo Dell workstation? :v:

Hatter106
Nov 25, 2006

bolshi fight za homosex
Shouldn't Journey be available to download by now? It's still listed as a PS+ Exclusive.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Welcome to the nebulous Tuesday update schedule, anywhere from 3pm to midnight.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Any good games on the PSN for $5.00 or less? I've only got that much left from my last PSN card.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Shouldn't journey be in the na store now? It still say pre order but I thought it was supposed to come out today.

Also, those RE rail shooters are pretty good. I'd say $30 for both is a great deal (I think my rommie paid $50 each for them) if you have a move. They would suck without it like all rail shooters.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 13, 2012

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

NESguerilla posted:

Shouldn't journey be in the na store now? It still say pre order but I thought it was supposed to come out today.

As was said two posts above yours, it comes out today but the PSN store doesn't have a fixed time to update; it'll be out when it's out.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

NESguerilla posted:

Jesus really. Anyone else want to ask this while we're still on the same page?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was reading the page before this and thought it was the last page :(

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Feenix posted:

Jesus really. Anyone else want to ask this while we're still on the same page?
It's dropped! It's up on the store! Downloading!

EDIT: ... OR IS IT.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Oh you guys are in for a treat :3:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The Store hasn't updated yet but I noticed they took down the preorder for Journey. That led me to search the Store for Journey and I was able to download it. If you've preordered it, you can now download it from the PS+ section of the store even if you don't have Plus.

Go get it!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I dunno if I can pay $15 for a game only a few hours long, no matter how good it is. Also I have a terrible track record in finishing even the best downloadable games.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

I dunno if I can pay $15 for a game only a few hours long, no matter how good it is. Also I have a terrible track record in finishing even the best downloadable games.
This is about how I feel buddy. :respek:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

You really, really should. You really, really, really, REALLY should this time.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Especially since a review I read said it should be experienced all in one sitting. I NEVER do that with games.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

Especially since a review I read said it should be experienced all in one sitting. I NEVER do that with games.

Yeah but Journey is like 90 minutes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Yeah but Journey is like 90 minutes.
Yes. Don't you see what I am getting at?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Add me to the list of people not wanting to pay $15 for a really short game that probably has zero replayability. I'll just wait for the inevitable "best of 2012" sale next year.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So let me see if I'm understanding, because I'm a little confused, maybe...

you're not liking that it's short.

but

you're not known for finishing long games.

and

you never finish games in one sitting.

Are these statements accurate?

Because (my rebuttal):

Have you ever gamed for more than 2 hours in a segment? Because you can finish this game in about that long.

You will also feel like it's worth it, (at least I believe you will.)

And also you technically don't HAVE to do it all in one sitting. I didn't and it didn't really harm the experience.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Journey is cool and all but for $15 you could do way better. It's awesome though. Play it!

vvv I wish everyone thought like that.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Personally I don't give one poo poo about length; that's what leads to 80 hour RPGs that go on forever with no pacing. If a game is five minutes long but those five minutes are really really good, I consider that a really really good game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

$15 is about the price of a movie ticket here. Assuming Journey lasts about as long as a movie, I can't see how I wouldn't get my value out of it assuming it's an excellent experience.

It really weirds me out that the only thing people care about when buying games is the hours on the clock.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can always get Journey for $7.50, don't forget.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

So let me see if I'm understanding, because I'm a little confused, maybe...

you're not liking that it's short.

but

you're not known for finishing long games.

and

you never finish games in one sitting.

Are these statements accurate?

Because (my rebuttal):

Have you ever gamed for more than 2 hours in a segment? Because you can finish this game in about that long.

You will also feel like it's worth it, (at least I believe you will.)

And also you technically don't HAVE to do it all in one sitting. I didn't and it didn't really harm the experience.
I don't know how you got that I don't finish long games out of what I said. I said I don't finish downloadable games, which are short. Maybe it's because they are short, I dunno. Anyway after the last one I bought and didn't finish (Limbo) I told myself I wouldn't buy any more.

ImpAtom posted:

$15 is about the price of a movie ticket here. Assuming Journey lasts about as long as a movie, I can't see how I wouldn't get my value out of it assuming it's an excellent experience.

It really weirds me out that the only thing people care about when buying games is the hours on the clock.
I don't pay $15 for movie tickets, no. I usually either go to a matinee or (far more often) wait for the DVD and then netflix it.

And I think about hours on the clock because that's pretty much what games are to me, a way to spend a bunch of relaxing time on the sofa, and the more the better.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Mar 14, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Well obviously you are entitled to do what you want. I just think it's unfortunate. You're missing out on something very special.

[edit] And I really don't mean that to sound snarky or judgmental. Just genuinely sad that people may pass over this for whatever reasons.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Mar 14, 2012

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wouldn't pay $15 for it either, so I've posted in the PSN Game Sharing thread *hint hint*

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Well obviously you are entitled to do what you want. I just think it's unfortunate. You're missing out on something very special.

[edit] And I really don't mean that to sound snarky or judgmental. Just genuinely sad that people may pass over this for whatever reasons.
We live in a world awash with entertainment products, more so than any other time or place in history. Everyone is going to pass over 99% of it for one reason or another.

However, there also aren't any new games I really want coming out until late may (Dragon's Dogma). Once I'm done with the few I have going right now I might need to go back and look at some games I missed.

Or maybe Ninja Gaiden 3 will turn out okay, I dunno. I heard you can turn QTEs off, but I dunno if that means it replaces them with real combat, or just replaces them with a non-interactive cutscene.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Mar 14, 2012

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Anyone know of a PS3 emulator that'll run on a Core2Duo Dell workstation? :v:

No, but I know a SNES emulator that won't.

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

I am notoriously cheap about buying games and tend not to buy anything at full price. However, I shelled out $15 for Journey gladly and it was well beyond worth it in my opinion. Yes, Journey is short (it took me about 2 hours to beat) and it might not have incredible replay value, but those 2 hours were an experience that was easily worth the asking price. Journey is beautiful and masterfully crafted, and I think it's definitely worth playing for anyone who likes video games as an expressive medium. I won't say that everyone will like it, because I'm sure many won't, but I can't find a single thing to complain about it. To me, it was immersive, emotional, introspective and enlightening all at once.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
I paid $15 to go to an art exhibition last weekend, and it only took me less than an hour to see it all! What a ripoff, I don't even get to go back again for replay value.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Even though I liked journey, am I the only one getting sick of "art" games? I used to buy every single one possible but nowadays I'd rather play more gamey games. Dark Souls has a better artistic approach and general stmosphere than most surrealism influenced art games and it has excellent gameplay. I enjoy playing MW3 more than I do experienced some "beautiful surreal journey". I don't know whether the trend is just losing steam or if my tastes are evolving and changing. Probably both. When it comes to art/surrealism I stick to movies and well, art.

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Mar 14, 2012

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

loving christ, he doesn't want to pay $15 for a game he will never finish. Just drop it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

jabro posted:

loving christ, he doesn't want to pay $15 for a game he will never finish. Just drop it.
It's not just about the money, the fact that its downloadable means I will basically own it forever. I look through the list of downloadable games I have bought and not finished and they're all there, staring at me, reminding me of my purchasing mistakes. The whole game biz is moving towards that, and it's making me think harder than before about what games I know I am going to enjoy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Kilometers Davis posted:

Even though I liked journey, am I the only one getting sick of "art" games?

Wait, you mean there are more "art" games out there besides SotC/Flower/Journey? Because if there are, I've never heard of them.

• Locked thread