Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Okay just spent an hour playing this game online with a buddy and it's pretty outstanding. The name totally fits, in every way. The sheer anarchy of 8 players online, all with their own flashy and unique combos mixed in with weapons, items, vehicles, and the most destructive random encounters such as a plane crashing into the arena, a giant mecha of death, ninjas, and a nearby bridge collapsing which causes flaming wreckage to rain down makes for such an outlandish action game.

I went from "Eh, maybe I'll get it for $20" to seriously considering dropping a hundred on importing it in July if Sega doesn't announce a Summer release date here. I had so much fun with it. It's definitely the kind of game that you'd want to play with friends or with other people, because my friend and I got thrashed by the CPUs while online competition was more "accessible" I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Concerning Anarchy Rains, from the trailers it looked like it had a whole bunch of long, canned combo animations that appeared to be basically grapples. Can you be hit out of these by a third party?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Concerning Anarchy Rains, from the trailers it looked like it had a whole bunch of long, canned combo animations that appeared to be basically grapples. Can you be hit out of these by a third party?

The combos are more like Bayonetta with delays, setups, charging, special moves, and the like. The grapples can't be interrupted by a third party but there is a grab escape move for the grabee. Most of the grabs are pretty short too, like only 2/3 seconds long. People can interrupt combos being performed on you though, which happens fairly often.

Try the demo, it has a fairly decent tutorial and a bunch of it you can experiment with. It was kind of fun trying out all the different characters and figuring out combo setups for grabs or my "heavy weapon" moves.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
What's a good, reliable place to import from, if Max Anarchy / Reigns doesn't get a decent US release date? I've been looking forward to this for a while, and I'm bummed that it's gotten pushed back to 'who knows when'.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Coca Koala posted:

What's a good, reliable place to import from, if Max Anarchy / Reigns doesn't get a decent US release date? I've been looking forward to this for a while, and I'm bummed that it's gotten pushed back to 'who knows when'.

There's quite a few good import places. Here, I'll give you (and anyone else interested) some Max Anarchy listings.

CD Japan: $95 USD (edit: drat just noticed these guys already sold out their first shipment)
Play-Asia: $90 USD
YesAsia: $92

Yes, the Japanese do pay a lot for video games. These sites are all pretty well regarded for being good places to import games from. When the game comes out, I'd suggest eBay as a source but only as a last resort. Using eBay for a game in a situation like this is basically throwing yourself to the mercy of the court. Not that you could get screwed, but power sellers will almost certainly hike the price by an insane margin when word gets out.

I would keep a close eye on these if I were you. Import sites have a history of slowly raising the price on games that look like they'll get a lot of sales, and Anarchy Reigns is poised to be a game that gets jacked up to hell. I've seen it happen before too, where a game looked pretty Japanese-y until someone realized it wasn't and all the sites scrambled to make money off it (see: Demon's Souls' Asian release)

This is an accessible action game that's fully translated which comes from a well renowned developer who's outright telling people to import the game. If Sega of America drops the ball on Day 1 of E3 then I would immediately put the pre-order down to lock in a price.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 08:08 on May 31, 2012

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Ummm yeah, why is Mortal Kombat's online being complete poo poo for me? When I do get connected to a match, it plays nice and smooth. Too bad it seems to be REALLY picky about who it lets me connect with. I just spent a half hour with TheBlindNinja trying to get a match with him, only for it to give me the "The game session is no longer available" message everytime.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

TaurusOxford posted:

Ummm yeah, why is Mortal Kombat's online being complete poo poo for me? When I do get connected to a match, it plays nice and smooth. Too bad it seems to be REALLY picky about who it lets me connect with. I just spent a half hour with TheBlindNinja trying to get a match with him, only for it to give me the "The game session is no longer available" message everytime.

I couldn't connect to you or another goon in Mortal Kombat or Uncharted 3 tonight, but was able to connect to axleblaze in UMvC3. I was able to play a random pubbie in MK just fine (just fine = lots of lag), but axleblaze and I had no issues. I'm just going to blame this on Comcast.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

axleblaze posted:

It helps to have played Infamous 1 first. The plot directly continues from the first and the plot of the first is called back to from time to time. The first one is a game worth playing and I suggest you play it first. The DLC that's in the ultimate edition they're offering also isn't worth a drat.

Rayman is probably the best game there, but I agree that you can probabl get it for cheaper. Of the stuff that you want to get MK is probably best.

Thanks for your input! I ended up grabbing MK.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BlindNinja posted:

I couldn't connect to you or another goon in Mortal Kombat or Uncharted 3 tonight, but was able to connect to axleblaze in UMvC3. I was able to play a random pubbie in MK just fine (just fine = lots of lag), but axleblaze and I had no issues. I'm just going to blame this on Comcast.

It's a shame too. I even had my HD capture software all set up to record some matches. I did get one pubbie match in MK(who kicked my rear end. My Kratos is so scrubby :kratos:).

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

TaurusOxford posted:

It's a shame too. I even had my HD capture software all set up to record some matches. I did get one pubbie match in MK(who kicked my rear end. My Kratos is so scrubby :kratos:).

You might have got some good matches in on me as well. Lag not withstanding on my pubbie loss, I was remembering what buttons did what mid-match, and would have been easy prey :v:. Testing buttons and remembering controls is just bad news. My Smoke is slightly above average too, I just need to remember the moves so I can convert that into the combos I used to know :negative:.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufCjuT7lnoY&list=UUaGclsUbbODAomby2KBv8jA&index=1&feature=plpp_video

My pubbie skills in action. Kratos saw the end of this day.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Code Jockey posted:

Well decided to play Odin Sphere on my tour of "oh poo poo I forgot I bought that" game playing, and it's awesome, and it looks amazing, and then I hit the purple dragon boss thing in the first act and ragequit because holy goddamn balls that thing is destroying me :psyduck:

I know I'm probably a big idiot babby who's terrible at video games but drat that thing is having me for dinner. Specifically the dragon triggering the falling debris and the fact there's no invulnerability period after being hit, so I end up getting juggled and losing enough HP that it swallows me and kills me. I know I should be blocking but it's like even that's not enough, it ends up swallowing me anyway, so I try to outrun stuff but inevitably get hit, then juggled, then eaten. I had it down to like an inch of life but it got me in a lucky shot and that was it.

Oh well, downloading AC2 now, I'll give that a try while I stop bein mad at video games. :arghfist::saddowns:
Why not just turn the difficulty down? I had to do that for one or two boss fights as far as I remember.

Also, regarding Deadly Premonition, I guess I'm lucky I just never got around to importing it now! Here's hoping it comes out in Europe, or is cheap enough to import the Director's Cut.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Code Jockey posted:

Well decided to play Odin Sphere on my tour of "oh poo poo I forgot I bought that" game playing, and it's awesome, and it looks amazing, and then I hit the purple dragon boss thing in the first act and ragequit because holy goddamn balls that thing is destroying me :psyduck:

I know I'm probably a big idiot babby who's terrible at video games but drat that thing is having me for dinner. Specifically the dragon triggering the falling debris and the fact there's no invulnerability period after being hit, so I end up getting juggled and losing enough HP that it swallows me and kills me. I know I should be blocking but it's like even that's not enough, it ends up swallowing me anyway, so I try to outrun stuff but inevitably get hit, then juggled, then eaten. I had it down to like an inch of life but it got me in a lucky shot and that was it.

Oh well, downloading AC2 now, I'll give that a try while I stop bein mad at video games. :arghfist::saddowns:

Here's a general strategy for most boss battles in Odin Sphere: circle all the way around and attack them from behind. Abuse that circular battlefield.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

The constantly shifting battlefield conditions in Anarchy Reigns/Max Anarchy remind me of Power Stone. Having to completely abandon the above-ground part of the map because a microwave satellite is bombarding you? Cool. Returning to the surface only to have a helicopter gunship start strafing players? Neat! Having players scatter for cover when a loving enormous laser-toting death mech starts rampaging through the level? Sweet!

Edit: Oh yeah, you can play with bots - just start a private match. Any slot not filled with players gets a bot automatically assigned.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 11:27 on May 31, 2012

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.
I am loving the poo poo out of the Max Anarchy demo. It's got that token Platinum insanity and is super fun. Plus the music is fantastic. I left the game sitting on the main menu for what must've been an hour. Can't wait for it to come out in July, plus according to Amazon it comes with a download code for Bayonetta, which I still haven't played.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Kotaku is saying Dark Souls for PC is coming to Steam. Can anybody confirm whether its Steamworks or uses some other DRM? I can't read the article at work, only the headline on my Google Reader.

Hopefully the game runs good and controls decently with a mouse/keyboard otherwise I'll get the PS3 version instead.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Hopefully the game runs good and controls decently with a mouse/keyboard

Given how essential precise analogue movement is in Dark Souls, mouse/keyboard control won't be optimal no matter what. Get a $20 gamepad.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

Kotaku is saying Dark Souls for PC is coming to Steam. Can anybody confirm whether its Steamworks or uses some other DRM? I can't read the article at work, only the headline on my Google Reader.

Hopefully the game runs good and controls decently with a mouse/keyboard otherwise I'll get the PS3 version instead.

Games For Windows Live for now. People complained and they said they've considered changing this though.

Also you can play PC games with a gamepad no problem 90% of the time now. You plug it in and don't need to configure anything.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

It's to early to say currently.The Awesome Ghost covered everything so far. I hope we hear more about this version at E3. The PC version comes out in late August.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I've got an Xbox360 controller for PC, but I much prefer the dualshock. I'll wait and see what the reviews say, but Games for Windows live is probably going to be a dealbreaker for me, gently caress that. If they are selling the extra content as DLC, what are the odds that they will offer the "prepare to die" edition as a PS3 re-release with all the new content included? Any chance they could port it to the Vita?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I thin the extra content in the PC version is exclusive to that version.

[edit]
Never mind, it will be on consoles, this is a brand new development in fact; http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a384609/dark-souls-pc-content-coming-to-consoles-as-artorias-of-the-abyss-dlc.html Not only that, but it will now use Steamworks apparently?

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
It'll be available through Steam but I wouldn't assume that makes it Steamworks.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

I've got an Xbox360 controller for PC, but I much prefer the dualshock. I'll wait and see what the reviews say, but Games for Windows live is probably going to be a dealbreaker for me, gently caress that. If they are selling the extra content as DLC, what are the odds that they will offer the "prepare to die" edition as a PS3 re-release with all the new content included? Any chance they could port it to the Vita?

The Joy in Motion drivers are getting pretty good at letting you plug in a Dualshock and using it on PC games, look into that.

There is pretty much no chance it comes to Vita, Vita is getting that Soul Sacrifice game which is really early in development but might have some overlap IP wise (Sony owns Demon's Souls but FROM owns Dark Souls).

I wouldn't expect them to package the DLC in with the game, it should be cheap used by now though so if you buy it used then buy the DLC when it's out you'll pay less than $60 anyway.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I really should just man up and get it for the PS3 now...but I haven't gotten bored of Diablo 3 yet. :saddowns:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

I said come in! posted:

I thin the extra content in the PC version is exclusive to that version.

[edit]
Never mind, it will be on consoles, this is a brand new development in fact; http://www.digitalspy.com/gaming/news/a384609/dark-souls-pc-content-coming-to-consoles-as-artorias-of-the-abyss-dlc.html Not only that, but it will now use Steamworks apparently?

This is great news.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Cartoon Man posted:

I really should just man up and get it for the PS3 now...but I haven't gotten bored of Diablo 3 yet. :saddowns:

Speaking of Diablo III, has anyone heard anything about a console release? I thought it was going to be multi-platform.

twinight
Aug 25, 2004

Policenaut posted:

There's quite a few good import places. Here, I'll give you (and anyone else interested) some Max Anarchy listings.

CD Japan: $95 USD (edit: drat just noticed these guys already sold out their first shipment)
Play-Asia: $90 USD
YesAsia: $92

There's also amiami: http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?gcode=TVG-PS3-1320 -- frequently amiami is cheaper than the usual suspects if you preorder far enough out, at this point though it looks like YesAsia might be the cheapest. They're also real reliable about sending all preorder goods, especially loose items that aren't packaged in with the game. Doesn't really apply in this case, though.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

Speaking of Diablo III, has anyone heard anything about a console release? I thought it was going to be multi-platform.

Blizzard are being vague. They pretty much said they'll make a console version if they find someone that they think can make a console version that will be up to their standards. If they can't find such a person than they won't make it.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

axleblaze posted:

Blizzard are being vague. They pretty much said they'll make a console version if they find someone that they think can make a console version that will be up to their standards. If they can't find such a person than they won't make it.
Even so, it might not even be 'Diablo III' proper, but just a Diablo game, iirc.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

axleblaze posted:

Hahahaha yeah okay Blizzard you keep doing whatever.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The core gameplay would have to be altered for a controller. If they design the analogue stick to control a mouse pointer on your TV, then it wont be near enough accurate or fast enough to handle some of the crazier boss fights. "Clicking" on gear that drops might get frustrating too. The gameplay could work fine if the analogue stick is used to move your character around, but then they would have to implement some sort of auto-looting feature when you walk over an item. Finally you factor in the challenge of getting an auction house to work over PSN, let alone a "real money" version and you can start to see why they went with PC only for now. (Would Sony demand a cut out of any real money auction house transaction?)

It's not impossible, but certainly a challenge. They've sold 3-4 million copies of the game on the first day, not sure how much of a rush they are to invest in developing it for a console when it may only add another 300-400 thousand sales. It might not make financial sense for them.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
poo poo I misread their quote, I thought they said make a console up to their standards. My bad.

But yeah it's probably not worth it for them as much as I'd love another Champions of Norrath style game.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Cartoon Man posted:

The core gameplay would have to be altered for a controller.
The first Diablo had a PSX release. How did that play? All I know is that it took an entire memory card for a single save.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's always Dungeon Hunter: Alliance.

Anyone?

Anyone?

:smith:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dungeon Siege 3 is a pretty good 'Diablo 3 on console'. It even felt just as dry and dull!

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Armor-Piercing posted:

The first Diablo had a PSX release. How did that play? All I know is that it took an entire memory card for a single save.

I rented it but never played it once I found out that it would take up all the slots on my only memory card.

Harlock posted:

There's always Dungeon Hunter: Alliance.

Anyone?

Anyone?

I have it. Let's never speak of it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch

Stelas posted:

Dungeon Siege 3 is a pretty good 'Diablo 3 on console'. It even felt just as dry and dull!

There's always Untold Legends. :aslol:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

poo poo I misread their quote, I thought they said make a console up to their standards. My bad.

But yeah it's probably not worth it for them as much as I'd love another Champions of Norrath style game.
Sony should just cut out the middleman and make a new CoN. Its pretty much the only thing Everquest that engenders any kind of goodwill with people, aside from like the first 3 years of EQ1.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

titties posted:

I have it. Let's never speak of it.
I kind of like it! Although it feels very grindy, even in the early levels. I can't believe there's achievements for something like level 75 when I'm already level 8-9 and bored out of my mind.

Yodzilla posted:

There's always Untold Legends. :aslol:
Every now and then I pick it up and think to myself, 'It really isn't that bad for a launch title. It's actually pretty fun.'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Armor-Piercing posted:

If it was your only option, like me, it was pretty good! Mainly because of 2 player same screen co-op. Of course the load times were horrible, and the memory card thing, and no online, so it wasn't great. I don't remember how it handled picking stuff up, but without online it didn't matter as much. Don't think they could get away with that now.

• Locked thread