Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Arcaeris posted:

I like tactical RPGs like this, but I could not get into Disgaea. I'd skip the first one for sure and jump to the others.

Did they ever improve the tutorials and all that so they weren't totally worthless?
With 4, an improved tutorial was one of the game's selling points but ehhh...I dunno.

Anyway, starting with 3, Disgaea games have started REALLY hurting my eyes to play. I have to strain like crazy to tell what is going on. I'd say that I should go to the optimitrist but not if its only going to affect one game out of all the ones I play, and nothing outside of games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I've been playing the Jurassic Park game and I feel I should hate it but I just can't. For fucks sake, there's a scene where you're attacked by Raptors while riding a falling apart roller coaster. It does help that I don't tend to mind QTEs.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I just picked up Red Faction Guerrilla and am having weird issues.

I pop it in and it goes to install but the music stops around 2:50 and so does the install. I quit the game after 10 minutes. For shits and giggles I checked my save data on my ps3 and it says I have RF:G save data 500 something MBs. I pop the game back in and it goes to install it again and freezes just like before.

I then quit out. Delete the save data file and try again. Same story.

I then quit out. Delete the save data and reboot the ps3. I also turn off the wireless. I pop the disc back in. Goes to install and it suddenly goes to the main menu. I go to new game press triangle to skip cutscene and it kicks me back to main menu. Go to new game again press triangle and it loads the first area but then freezes.

I've tried googling this issue and the closest I get are PC install problems.

What the gently caress is going on?

edit:

New issue!

I got to the first cutscene. I let it play out....and get dumped to the main menu again.
I just went to new game again and now it's stuck on the Parker loading screen.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jun 1, 2012

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Yup, that's messed up. Did you also delete the game data file in addition to the save data?

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Yeah. Sorry I didn't clarify. I deleted both the game data (the 500 MB one) and the initial save data file as well.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

SamBishop posted:

Ah, okay. That was a really small chunk of what they showed off. They showed Lara getting captured by someone, waking up upside down all wrapped up and then getting out of that (which was brutal, but I think you guys saw that). Afterward, they showed her escaping her captor, and making her way out of the cave where she had to use some physics puzzles to lift a boom to block the flow of water that would allow some explosive barrels to stack up near a door, then light some stuff on fire and float it toward the barrels (the waterfall would douse the flame otherwise).

After that, they got into some survival stuff with her mentor, showed her free climbing around the remains of a village to reach a high point to get into a wolves' den to find the emergency radio. It was really, really gripping and really made her into more of an actual character than she's ever been before. And man, it looks really good. I can't imagine what another year and a half is going to do for the game.

Some of this was shown off tonight. Link to new gameplay trailer, including the part where a kidnapper tries to get it on with Lara tied up, but gets a knee in the balls instead.

There is a lot of influence from Uncharted in that trailer as well.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Looks like Uncharted, Max Payne, and Hunger Games all had a Lara Croft gang bang. I'm sold.

The Resident Evil 6 trailer from a while back also gave me an Uncharted vibe. I'm happy cause I love epic third person games with huge set pieces.

Unfortunately, I have a feeling in 2013 we're all going to be fatigue from these cut scene script fest 3rd person experiences like people are now with COD fps games. I also wonder if they will attempt a multiplayer aspect for new Tomb Raider.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jimbot posted:

Planetside 2. Sony is going to have a booth there. Cover it or die.

I meant PS3 stuff, though I am totally checking out Planetside 2. NC forever!

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Fuzz posted:

I meant PS3 stuff, though I am totally checking out Planetside 2. NC forever!

PlanetSide 2 is actually coming to the PS3! My guess they aren't going to be showing up that version, but I'd love to see what the differences are. Guess I'll find out in a few days!

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

SamBishop posted:

PlanetSide 2 is actually coming to the PS3! My guess they aren't going to be showing up that version, but I'd love to see what the differences are. Guess I'll find out in a few days!

Please tell me it will all use the same servers, because if so oh my god.

Also, check your Facebook messages, you bum.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Oh god that metal gear rising trailer

Platinum doing something with an actual budget and more MGS

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Tomb Raider e3 trailer right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ol_-QGlwRqc

Game comes out March 5, 2013.

Edit: Around 2:25ish, press "A" to avoid getting raped!

Cartoon Man fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 1, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Cartoon Man posted:

And you thought missing the Leonardo hug QTE was awkward...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Cartoon Man posted:

Tomb Raider e3 trailer right here.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ol_-QGlwRqc

Game comes out March 5, 2013.

How old is Lara in this game? She looks and sounds like she is still in her teens.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

How old is Lara in this game? She looks and sounds like she is still in her teens.

It's an origin story, so she probably is.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

I was already getting uncomfortable creepy vibes from this game, why not go the distance and make her 15. :suicide:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamBishop posted:

I hope this is a good game, but Sony Online Entertainment is a pretty lazy developer, so I wouldn't get my hopes up. Dust 514 is likely to be much better.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Hey it turns out I was wrong about Dark Souls. They ARE making a steam works version after all (in addition to GFWL version... Huh) and PS3 IS getting a special edition with the DLC bundled in but not sure if it's in every region.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Hey it turns out I was wrong about Dark Souls. They ARE making a steam works version after all (in addition to GFWL version... Huh) and PS3 IS getting a special edition with the DLC bundled in but not sure if it's in every region.

Steam will often sell games that require you to also install GFWL in order to play them, GTA4 for example. Are we sure that this is not the case?

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I thought Tomb Raider was going to be a survival-puzzle kind of hybrid, but from that trailer it just looks like a QTE on rails Uncharted type game :O(

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

Steam will often sell games that require you to also install GFWL in order to play them, GTA4 for example. Are we sure that this is not the case?

Namco posted the PC artwork today on their Facebook, it has the Games for Windows Live logo on the box.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

notZaar posted:

I thought Tomb Raider was going to be a survival-puzzle kind of hybrid, but from that trailer it just looks like a QTE on rails Uncharted type game :O(

I assume the trailer is just showing the exciting bits. You don't really get a sense of the bread and butter of the game from it, do you. It's not on rails at all, there's a whole island to explore. And the trailer even showed glimpses of hunting animals. That's pretty cool.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Wandle Cax posted:

I assume the trailer is just showing the exciting bits. You don't really get a sense of the bread and butter of the game from it, do you. It's not on rails at all, there's a whole island to explore. And the trailer even showed glimpses of hunting animals. That's pretty cool.

This is my problem with the game so far, it looks like cutscene island. Then again we said the same about Deus Ex: Human Revolution when its trailers first started to appear.

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
Really hope Anarchy Reigns makes it to the States, after playing team fights online i'm in love with the game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

This is my problem with the game so far, it looks like cutscene island. Then again we said the same about Deus Ex: Human Revolution when its trailers first started to appear.

Well, there's been actual gameplay videos of the new Tomb Raider game, and it was almost all scripted sequences that take you out of playing, and cutscenes.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

I think this looks loving awesome. Here's hoping there's an actual fun game attached to all this (admittedly cool) scripted stuff. I have a feeling that Crystal Dynamics is taking aim squarely at Naughty Dog now.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I haven't really enjoyed a Crystal Dynamics games in a long time. I was a huge fan of their stuff back in the Sega Saturn, and PSX days though. Solar Eclipse is still their best game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
They peaked at Off-World Interceptor.

(the newer Tomb Raider games are pretty drat cool so I'm optimistic)

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

PS3 IS getting a special edition with the DLC bundled in but not sure if it's in every region.

Oh sweet, I suddenly feel not so bad for waiting this long to buy Dark Souls.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So the PS Blog has announced some new Wireless Headset with BassImpact technology. (aka: an admission that their first headset was flat as a board when it came to sound range.)

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Cartoon Man posted:

I believe From Software said the Steam version will only use Steam DRM while all other versions will be GFWL. So you can't buy retail and activate it on Steam but if you buy it on Steam, it won't have GFWL.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008

Feenix posted:

So the PS Blog has announced some new Wireless Headset with BassImpact technology. (aka: an admission that their first headset was flat as a board when it came to sound range.)

Speaking of headsets, what's the best one out right now? I see that Amazon has a wireless stereo headset with 7.1 surround sound, but is this the one you're talking about Feenix?

I currently use the standard BT 1-ear headset and it's uncomfortable as hell.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

BoyBlunder posted:

Speaking of headsets, what's the best one out right now? I see that Amazon has a wireless stereo headset with 7.1 surround sound, but is this the one you're talking about Feenix?

I currently use the standard BT 1-ear headset and it's uncomfortable as hell.

Depending on your financial situation, you're either asking the wrong guy or the right one.

Firstly, I had the official BT Headset and it was cool but it hurt the poo poo out of my ear. Like, throbbing pain where the contact points where if I wore it more than 30 min.

Then they announced that Wireless 7.1 Stereo Headset for 99 dollars and I bought it Day 1. I could not have been more disappointed when it came. [ Didn't get very loud, had no dynamic range/bass, has issues with firmware, looked ULTRA retarded wearing it. ]

I returned it and for Christmas I got the Astro A40 'Wireless' system. Could NOT be happier! Comfy cups with dynamic range and great sound. Wireless in the sense that you are not tethered to your PS3 or Receiver by a wire, but there is a wire from the Headset to a little volume controller/receiver. (Which works out just great.)
The boom mic is removable (and it even has an inline cord mic, too.) You can change the balance between chat and audio with a dial on the receiver.

The downside (if you can call it one, I suppose,) is that it's like 250 bucks. But I use it ALL the time. It rivals my Home Theatre, and is SO comfy.

Oh also it's got removable magnetic speaker tags so you can go closed OR open design for a fuller sound.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Code Jockey posted:

Oh sweet, I suddenly feel not so bad for waiting this long to buy Dark Souls.

No no, you should still feel bad.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Feenix posted:

I returned it and for Christmas I got the Astro A40 'Wireless' system. Could NOT be happier! Comfy cups with dynamic range and great sound. Wireless in the sense that you are not tethered to your PS3 or Receiver by a wire, but there is a wire from the Headset to a little volume controller/receiver. (Which works out just great.)
The boom mic is removable (and it even has an inline cord mic, too.) You can change the balance between chat and audio with a dial on the receiver.

The downside (if you can call it one, I suppose,) is that it's like 250 bucks. But I use it ALL the time. It rivals my Home Theatre, and is SO comfy.

Oh also it's got removable magnetic speaker tags so you can go closed OR open design for a fuller sound.

Astros are $280 for wireless, $250 for wired.

This is including the mixer/amplifier/whatever box. It's cheaper for just the headset, but you need the box to use it on a PS3 (or 360.)

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Jesus, $250 for a set of headphones, you guys are serious.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
280. And if you don't want to burn through batteries every couple of hours you need their 19.99 battery pack.

I used to think like you. That it was a ridiculous sum of money for headphones. But they really are the best, most comfortable things I've ever put on my head.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Yeah I could see it being worth it if you really like headsets and the like. I don't play online games much so I probably wouldn't get much out of it, but drat if it doesn't look comfy. The official Sony Bluetooth headset thing I got with my copy of Socom is alright and all, but it takes forever and a day to orient comfortably on my head. Those things though look comfy as all hell.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
I was drat near pulling the trigger on one of the official Sony 7.1 headsets but the new announcement about a better one has me hesitating... I really like the way the current one looks, but I want me some bass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Wandle Cax posted:

Yes, that one bit was cool but it seemed to be part of a movie, didn't really feel "gamey". The whole thing just screams spectacle to me right now, but I'd love to be proven wrong. I did enjoy Tomb Raider Anniversary and Underworld, so there's that.

• Locked thread