Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

VG-Robot posted:

At least about $40 a month. I spend a LOT on PSN. This is working out for me great. However, I feel that people who spend little on PSN would get the most out of it--due to discounts and free games.

I spend almost that much but still have no use for PS+. Mostly because the free games are usually garbage and the discounts are mostly for stuff that I already bought much earlier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jamesman posted:

Saboteur is really pissing me off right now. No matter what I do, I can't complete the first race mission, which is a time trial race. The fastest car I had was the Altair, which didn't work, so I started hunting around for other cars. I found the Silver Bullet, which is some sorta Nazi trophy car, and that didn't work.

Then I went suuuuuper out of my way to try and get back to the old farm to see if maybe the Aurora was out there, but I couldn't find it and instead found the race track and a handful of race cars, so I took the Beta Romero 12c all the way back and THAT'S not working either.

Without spoiling too much, there is an event in one of the main quests that will give you back the Aurora. After that, use it to win the races. If you're still losing, hug the sides so the other cars will crash into walls or obstacle.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm pretty sure I figured out those things in the demo, but it didn't make combat any less monotonous. Enemies just took so little damage from my attacks, it felt like I was beating them with a wet noodle and not god's toothpick or whatever. That's a cardinal sin for action games IMO. God of War also kind of has that problem, but at least the demo of El Shaddai was way worse.

Ninja Gaiden and DMC/Bayonetta are what I want: when you hit an enemy or an enemy hits you, it loving HURTS.

You do more damage with an enemy's own weapon.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Top games played around the world on PS3 systems connected to PSN, from the Playstation app on Facebook, in number of countries that have the game in their top 5 list. Ties are broken by average rank.

1. Call of Duty Black Ops – 53 countries
2. FIFA 11 – 46 countries
3. Gran Turismo 5 – 39 countries
4. Modern Warfare 2 – 30 countries
5. Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood – 21 countries

6. GTA IV – 15 countries
7. Pro Evolution Soccer 11 – 12 countries
8. Battlefield Bad Company 2 – 12 countries
9. Deus Ex: Human Revolution – 11 countries

Other games showing up in under 10 countries each:
Uncharted 2, Midnight Club: Los Angeles, Infamous, LittleBigPlanet, Dynasty Warriors 6/7, Final Fantasy XIII, Madden NFL 12, Disgaea 4, Winning Eleven 11, God of War 3, Samurai Warriors 3 Empires, Rugby World Cup 2011, Red Dead Redemption, Resident Evil 5, NHL 11, Rugby Challenge, Mortal Kombat, Sports Champions, torne, Killzone 3, L.A. Noire, Super Street Fighter 4, Tekken 6, Driver San Francisco, Infamous 2

Since last month, Infamous and LittleBigPlanet has dropped out of almost all countries’ top 5 lists, while Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood has popped up again in some places. Other than that, little has changed in the top games played.

Top 5 PS3 games in countries talked about in here:

USA
1. Madden NFL 12
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. LittleBigPlanet
4. inFamous
5. Modern Warfare 2

Canada
1. Call of Duty: Black Ops
2. Madden NFL 12
3. LittleBigPlanet
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. inFamous

UK
2. FIFA 11
3. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
4. Gran Turismo 5
5. Modern Warfare 2

Australia
2. FIFA 11
3. Modern Warfare 2
4. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
5. Battlefield: Bad Company 2

Japan
1. 戦国無双3 Empires (Samurai Warriors 3 Empires)
2. Call of Duty: Black Ops
3. Gran Turismo 5
4. torne (PS3 DVR with trophies)
5. SUPER STREET FIGHTER Ⅳ

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

al-azad posted:

Hm...well, I'm not totally opposed to the idea of trying it again, but at below $20 I think. That's about my limit for games lots of people say are flawed but decent.

I'm doing The Saboteur right now at that price. I haven't made up my mind yet about it, it has a lot of finicky little things I don't like.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Yechezkel posted:

Without spoiling too much, there is an event in one of the main quests that will give you back the Aurora. After that, use it to win the races. If you're still losing, hug the sides so the other cars will crash into walls or obstacle.

How much better is the Aurora then? And are there no other options to do this mission? It's kinda weird they would give me it so early and I'd have nothing available to complete it with, if that's the case.

Also this first race thingy isn't against opponents. It's just "Get to this point within this time."

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'
The races are also incredibly loving easy, probably easiest part of the game, though one of the racing story missions does apparently have a bug in it where an important npc keeps getting run over, but that never happened to me so i guess there's a way around it

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The (non-racing) vehicles in The Saboteur sure do handled like drunken hippopotamuses. Is that historically accurate or something?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Polite Tim posted:

The races are also incredibly loving easy, probably easiest part of the game, though one of the racing story missions does apparently have a bug in it where an important npc keeps getting run over, but that never happened to me so i guess there's a way around it

It's just this VERY FIRST racing mission, which is a time trial. I don't have to beat anything but the clock, and the bottom line is I have no car that's fast enough. The actual races against opponents probably are easy enough to handle, but this particular situation cannot be overcome because I lack the necessary equipment to complete the task.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The (non-racing) vehicles in The Saboteur sure do handled like drunken hippopotamuses. Is that historically accurate or something?

Probably. Half the cars are land boats, but there are ones that handle alright and have decent speed. They are usually Nazi vechicles (don't drive them unless you're disguised), but the sleeker luxury cars usually fall under that category too.

You kind of learn to not play Saboteur like a GTA game where you jack any car on the street and tear rear end through the city. You know the car you want to drive, and you know how to get it, and then you know how to drive it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

Ok so somewhat surprisingly it appears that Resistance 3 is actually a really good game? The review embargo seems to have been lifted today with a whole bunch of good scoring reviews appearing, as well as a video review from GameTrailers that actually makes the game look mindblowingly awesome:

GameTrailers video review

I honestly don't know what to make of it really. The singleplayer looks downright fantastic (as does the co-op) and as well as looking incredibly fun, it looks really impressive when it comes to the graphics too. My reservations are solely with the multiplayer though, which I enjoyed gameplay-wise but despised when it came to the choppy framerate and poor visuals. Seeing multiplayer footage of the retail build seems to suggest everything runs smoothly now but I'm still unsure personally.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.

al-azad posted:

This is still not enough damage for my liking from what I could tell in the demo.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Mustach posted:

This is still not enough damage for my liking from what I could tell in the demo.
I agree, the fights against regular enemies did seem to go on way longer than I would've liked.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Amazon has the House of the Dead: OVERKILL - Extended Cut pre-order for $10 off today ($29.99).

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

iastudent posted:

Amazon has the House of the Dead: OVERKILL - Extended Cut pre-order for $10 off today ($29.99).

That's tempting, is there anything good or bad being said about it?

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cartoon Man posted:

The Wii version was pretty fun - nowhere near as tight or well-paced as the arcade originals, but a really funny grindhouse movie style and a remarkably clever script, considering that it also holds the record for most swearing in a game ever.

I'm surprised it's a retail title. I figured it would go downloadable, like Dead Space: Extraction.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

If it were just a straight port of the Wii version it would be totally worth it, but it looks like they completely overhauled the visuals and added some new levels so if you like those type of games, I'd go for it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

This pretty much sums up House of the Dead Overkill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKUSSFzRZGY

My dick's on fire :mmmhmm:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MUFFlNS posted:

This pretty much sums up House of the Dead Overkill:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKUSSFzRZGY

My dick's on fire :mmmhmm:
Wow, so they wanted to make House of the Dead...to the EXTREEEME? And decided the best way was lots of cursing?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, so they wanted to make House of the Dead...to the EXTREEEME? And decided the best way was lots of cursing?

It's more like they wanted to style it after a Grindhouse film and they ended up doing a damned fine job by the way. I mean, it might not be to your taste but they were going for a specific thing, not just some shallow marketing decision like you seemed to have put it.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 6, 2011

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's basically Planet Terror: The Game. Whether this strikes you as childish or awesome is entirely a matter of personal taste.

Personally, I was laughing my arse off the whole way through.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

It's more like they wanted to style it after a Grindhouse film and they ended up doing a damned fine job by the way. I mean, it might not be to your taste but they were going for a specific thing, not just some 90s idea of gaming like you seemed to have put it.
All I can say for myself is that I interpreted it the way that whoever put that video together wanted me to.

I don't have anything against grindhouse stuff really (though on that particular double-feature I definitely preferred Death Proof), but to me HoTD had a particular and different kind of cheesiness.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

If it makes it to the PSN store as a download for $20 I might consider it.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
Do you like Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghilibi films? Beautifully rendered scenery and quirky characters? Well then, you've probably heard of the upcoming RPG from Level 5, Ni no Kuni (Two Kingdoms/Worlds).

Level 5's just posted a brand new trailer here
The art style is great, it's basically a playable movie and it's drat charming too :3: Problem is, the battle system looks kinda bland.

Also the upcoming House of the Dead comes with two new episodes, one set in a Strip club and the other in a Slaughter house.

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
That codxp event looked pretty cool. :toot:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Do you like Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghilibi films? Beautifully rendered scenery and quirky characters? Well then, you've probably heard of the upcoming RPG from Level 5, Ni no Kuni (Two Kingdoms/Worlds).

The art style is great, it's basically a playable movie and it's drat charming too :3: Problem is, the battle system looks kinda bland.

Yeah, as much as I love the style, that combat doesn't look too promising. Still somewhat excited for this, but almost certain it won't see an NA release.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Are you seriously saying "it looks like a playable move" as a positive quality? I am waiting for games to get over that problem.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Samurai Sanders posted:

Are you seriously saying "it looks like a playable move" as a positive quality? I am waiting for games to get over that problem.

I guess I meant it in the sense that it's has all the charms and little quirks that makes it look like a studio Ghilibi films- in this case it's not my intention to segue into the whole 'games is art' or 'can games surpass art?' arguements, but it's clearly influenced by the design styles and colour palette of the films, hence 'like a playable [Miyazaki] movie' :shobon:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Samurai Sanders posted:

It has adorable awesome animation, and gameplay that looks a LOT like the classic (back when they were fun) JRPGs. The videos shows:

- Combat that looks decently fun
- An overworld, complete with dragon to fly around it with
- At least hints of exploration / more than walking down hallways

... not seeing much to dislike, at least from the trailer. I'm getting a sense of Dragon Quest here, only without the niggles that made DQ8 drag out (and 100% less Dragon Ball Z).

EDIT: The combat kinda looks like Pokemon-esque tossing out of little dudes, which you then manually control a bit like Star Ocean 2. Which could be pretty fun in theory. But maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Sep 6, 2011

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Tamagod Sushi posted:

What's with Studio Ghibli and their fascination with fat ladies? Seriously, every single one of their movies has one.

Anyway, I'm sold on the graphics alone. So many colours, I forgot what that was like ever since I got my PS3.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I grabbed Grandia off the PSN cause I was a Saturn owner back in the day and remember this being hyped as some amazing, unmissable game that tragically never got released here.

I'm about an hour in and starting to think I might have made a terrible, terrible mistake.

thorsilver
Feb 20, 2005

You have never
been at my show
You haven't seen before
how looks the trumpet

Shalinor posted:

It has adorable awesome animation, and gameplay that looks a LOT like the classic (back when they were fun) JRPGs. The videos shows:

... not seeing much to dislike, at least from the trailer. I'm getting a sense of Dragon Quest here, only without the niggles that made DQ8 drag out (and 100% less Dragon Ball Z).

EDIT: The combat kinda looks like Pokemon-esque tossing out of little dudes, which you then manually control a bit like Star Ocean 2. Which could be pretty fun in theory. But maybe I'm reading too much into it.

Yeah it looks absolutely adorable visually :3:

I have Ni no Kuni on DS, and the book it came with is loving stunning. Far and away the best trinket I've ever had included in a game box before, and it's critical to the gameplay too.

The DS game is fun and really beautiful, in addition to the book being awesome, so I expect nothing less from the PS3 release. Maybe as you say it'll finally give us a bit of excellent JRPG action, which has been sorely missing this generation.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I'm pretty sure I figured out those things in the demo, but it didn't make combat any less monotonous. Enemies just took so little damage from my attacks, it felt like I was beating them with a wet noodle and not god's toothpick or whatever. That's a cardinal sin for action games IMO. God of War also kind of has that problem, but at least the demo of El Shaddai was way worse.

Ninja Gaiden and DMC/Bayonetta are what I want: when you hit an enemy or an enemy hits you, it loving HURTS.

I dunno, the Gametrailers review makes it seem that El Shaddai is about a hell of a lot more than just combat:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/review-el-shaddai/719040

It looks gorgeous and varied and really unique, so I'm much more interested having seen that review, personally. I'd imagine games like that don't lend themselves very well to a brief demo.

I also don't think it's quite fair comparing something like this to Bayonetta or whatever; just because a third-person action game exists doesn't mean it exists to be DMC or Bayonetta. Even comparing Bayonetta to God of War is a bit specious, since God of War's play style is also quite different.

thorsilver fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 6, 2011

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I played El Shaddai (retail) for a good 4 hours. While it is beautiful and original and cryptic, it is also sparse, and flawed, and simplistic, and arduous in combat, and nothing all that interesting really happened at all in 4 hours, but maybe it was just about to and I didn't know it? If a game can't really hook me in that amount of time... it's definitely not for me.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Krad posted:

What's with Studio Ghibli and their fascination with fat ladies? Seriously, every single one of their movies has one.

Fat ladies are funny.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shalinor posted:

Yeah, it may very well turn out good. I am mostly concerned because Level 5 has had an atrocious batting average for the last few years, and being associated with a big anime house like Ghibli means that it will have a built-in audience, so it doesn't NEED to be as good as comparable games that don't have that.

But maybe I'm just being overly cynical.

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Nah, I don't have any faith in Level 5 these days either.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Also they are currently working on a horrible looking anime project...which shall not be named.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Fuzz posted:

Yeah, I was so excited about it and then I played it at E3 and completely stopped caring. It wasn't even THAT pretty in motion... it was no Nomad, or whatever that new Flower/Fl0w company's next game is called. That game is just plain sexy.

Aren't you in residency now? Do you still have time for games? Give me some hope for next year! Last year when I was on medicine I actually played call of duty with one of my attendings a few times. I killed his rear end and then he gave me honors :c00l:

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Aren't you in residency now? Do you still have time for games? Give me some hope for next year! Last year when I was on medicine I actually played call of duty with one of my attendings a few times. I killed his rear end and then he gave me honors :c00l:

Just started M2 and I have given up any hope of fully enjoying Uncharted 3 :(

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

MUFFlNS posted:

Ok so somewhat surprisingly it appears that Resistance 3 is actually a really good game? The review embargo seems to have been lifted today with a whole bunch of good scoring reviews appearing, as well as a video review from GameTrailers that actually makes the game look mindblowingly awesome:

GameTrailers video review

I honestly don't know what to make of it really. The singleplayer looks downright fantastic (as does the co-op) and as well as looking incredibly fun, it looks really impressive when it comes to the graphics too. My reservations are solely with the multiplayer though, which I enjoyed gameplay-wise but despised when it came to the choppy framerate and poor visuals. Seeing multiplayer footage of the retail build seems to suggest everything runs smoothly now but I'm still unsure personally.

Eh, I won't financially support any game that uses some variant of "Project Ten Dolla."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jamesman posted:

It's just this VERY FIRST racing mission, which is a time trial. I don't have to beat anything but the clock, and the bottom line is I have no car that's fast enough. The actual races against opponents probably are easy enough to handle, but this particular situation cannot be overcome because I lack the necessary equipment to complete the task.

I remember just using the Altair for everything as it was what I had in the garage, plus it was a cool car. You don't need a better car, you just need to get better at the driving. I don't mean that to sound condescending, just want you to focus on driving the route rather than looking for an alternative tool for the job.

Are you cutting enough corners? The route has several places where you can shave seconds off your time by driving across the pavements directly towards the next corner rather than following the road around. The time trial is harder than all the races, but it didn't take me more than a handful of tries and I'm notoriously bad at driving games. Pay attention to the route, you can do it.

• Locked thread