Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Mug posted:

Brightness settings in games are always loving dumb. I just leave them on default.

"Adjust the brightness so you can see the Helghast symbol" = pitch black screen at 500000% brightness; game burns your eyes with the fury of 10,000 suns.
"Adjust the brightness so the BSAA emblem is barely visible" = game is just black.

Yeah, this. Just leave the RE6 brightness to default. I couldn't even turn it down low enough to not see the 6 symbol like it asked, so I tried turning it down once I was in game to see how dark it would get and gently caress that noise. 20 is a perfectly acceptable setting. My TV already has some pretty goofy brightness settings, no need to fiddle further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
I calibrate my TV with this guide (ignoring the CRT-specific parts) and the color bars on a Criterion disk, then ignore anything the games say unless it's a game-provided setting.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Jolo posted:

Hell Yeah seems to get worse with every new area. It seems like the game is actively trying to be less fun as you progress. Case in point: A new enemy that you have to bounce up into the air 8 or more times without letting it touch the ground. The camera in the game is close enough to your character that when you bounce an enemy into the air, you can't see where he is to accurately position yourself under him again.

Hope this looks fun, because there's 3 of these enemies in this small area.

Granted, the guy in the video is worse at bouncing this one than most people would be, but the mechanic isn't fun either way. It's too bad. This game was pretty fun for the first few hours. :sigh:

You know you can zoom the camera out, right? It does pause the action while you do it, but since that guy's leaving a trail behind him as he flies about it doesn't seem like it'd be too hard to figure out where he's going to land.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Yeah. They leave a trail, but it can be difficult to see exactly where they will come down. If the game could be played zoomed out it would fix several problems with the game, and these enemies would be kinda fun to deal with. These enemies are just one of many unfun elements in the game that crop up more frequently as the game progresses. I like the silly story and some of the humor and minigames, which is why this game's decline is a bummer. There's a really fun game there in the first couple of hours.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

eightysixed posted:

There's a lot of hate in this thread about Resident Evil 6. I don't think I agree. It's been pretty fun so far (full disclosure: I finished all of Leon's campaign and am have way through Chris's). Although the game is too dark if you put the settings where they want you to.

I'm halfway between enjoying the game and hating it. The game can be fun, but there are some goofy things that detract from the fun. Since you said you finished Leon's campaign, maybe you'll remember one of the team being shoved into a blender, more or less, by one of the super zombies, and even though you're right next to them, you can't help them out. You can shoot, you can kick, but it doesn't help at all, and it makes no sense at all.

The QTEs are also pretty awful in their own right. They go by way too quickly, especially considering that there are a fair amount of insta-death QTE failures. The one for climbing in particular is the bane of my existence.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Have we talked about Nights in this thread yet? Because I bought it a few days ago and oh my god it's like I'm ten years old again. I totally suck at the game now compared to when I'd A rank everything as a tot, but that doesn't stop me from having a blast. It's only ten bucks too, so I'd definitely recommend it to people. It is short though, so keep that in mind. Tons of replayability though.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF
The general critical consensus has been that, like Jet Set Radio, you kinda had to be there. It has some vocal defenders, like Christian Nutt, but most people are saying that if you didn't love it then, it seems pretty un-fun (and some people who DID love it then are disappointed). I can get that feeling - I still love the first two Syphon Filters despite everything about that genre being refined into infinity for the last two plus generations, but I think giving someone that an HD version of Syphon Filter 2 with no concessions to modern gameplay would result in the person I gave it to thinking I'm crazy. If you still love it, that's awesome. I'm intrigued by the game's ideas and remember absolutely obsessing over screenshots of it when I was little and had no Saturn so I might give it a shot if it, say, shows up for free on PS+, but it seems like too much of a risk to spend money on when most of the internet is saying "hey turns out this is pretty bad now."

I think one reason why SEGA's older games might not be holding up to the public at large is because they were so interested in generating new ideas that they never iterated or perfected older ones. There's nothing on the market anything like Jet Set Radio OR NiGHTS and I would've loved for them to either spawn true sequels (JSRF is a totally different beast) or clones that perfected their formula and brought their ideas into the fold of video games at large.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The Grimace posted:

Have we talked about Nights in this thread yet? Because I bought it a few days ago and oh my god it's like I'm ten years old again. I totally suck at the game now compared to when I'd A rank everything as a tot, but that doesn't stop me from having a blast. It's only ten bucks too, so I'd definitely recommend it to people. It is short though, so keep that in mind. Tons of replayability though.

Oh gently caress thank you I've been busy as heck lately and have barely touched my PS3 except to play about 10 mins of Tokyo Jungle, thanks for reminding me to buy this!

It and Virtua Cop were all I used to play on my Saturn.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I was kinda interested in Nights and JSR but everyone's saying "It is bad now" and Okami HD is coming out soon and I am spending more money on old games than new ones, I'm officially one of "those" people :(

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I was kinda interested in Nights and JSR but everyone's saying "It is bad now" and Okami HD is coming out soon and I am spending more money on old games than new ones, I'm officially one of "those" people :(

For the first month or so that I had my PS3 [slim at launch] all I played was SOTN, so I kinda started this generation that way...

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I'm in the UK and the EU release of Walking Dead episode 4 isn't out yet so naturally I don't really want to read the Walking Dead thread, but I hear that the latest episode is eating saves for some people and a fix is being worked on. Does this problem seem to be widespread? Is it something to do with the third save slot?

Maybe post developments in this thread so I know at least? :unsmith:

Szmitten fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Oct 14, 2012

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

I dunno man, JSR is still pretty good (I did play it for the Dreamcast though), and an actual movable camera makes a hell of a difference for game play. Maybe if there is a demo up give it a shot.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

The Grimace posted:

This is me too, i'm really bad at Nights, but it's still a really cool game years later.

I miss my Sega Saturn. I use to play Panzer Dragoon Orta the most.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

I said come in! posted:

This is me too, i'm really bad at Nights, but it's still a really cool game years later.

I miss my Sega Saturn. I use to play Panzer Dragoon Orta the most.
Not on the Saturn, you didn't.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Akuma posted:

Not on the Saturn, you didn't.

I'm sorry, I meant Saga. The massive RPG that came out just as the Saturn died. I still have a copy of Orta sitting right next to my Xbox 360.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I don't care if they lost the source code, if Sega wants me to actually like them as a company again they need to remake Saga. Hell, just make a sequel. I don't care. There is still no other game like that game.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Absolutely agree. I had to own Saga, that was the only game that made PlayStation fans jealous, and I had to have something that made up for my poor purchasing choice in a console. Not that the Saturn didn't have other real good games, but I got it just months before the announcement came that the system was being discontinued.

Dadjacket
Jul 23, 2004

HIPSTER PITCHFORK CARDIGAN SCARF

Szmitten posted:

I'm in the UK and the EU release of Walking Dead episode 4 isn't out yet so naturally I don't really want to read the Walking Dead thread, but I hear that the latest episode is eating saves for some people and a fix is being worked on. Does this problem seem to be widespread? Is it something to do with the third save slot?

Maybe post developments in this thread so I know at least? :unsmith:

Most of the save issues I have been reading about have been on Steam, and on the whole the PS3 version seems to be much safer. I do know the issue you're concerned about, however, and it seems that it's been fixed: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36085

Telltale Support posted:

Hi Everyone,

We are definitely aware of the reports of PS3 saves being corrupted, and have been working dilligently to identify the issue. I would like to offer this quick FAQ on the subject which hopefully will answer any questions you may have. I will add new information on the subject, as it becomes available.

Who/what platforms is the ‘loss of save data’ issue affecting?
We have identified an issue surrounding the loss of save data on the PlayStation 3 platform related to the usage of multiple save slots.

How many people have reported issues?
We have received a small number of reports surrounding this issue since the launch of Episode Four: Around Every Corner and have been working with users on our forums to clearly identify a solution which will be resolved as quickly as possible.

What can people do to avoid it?
Players on the PlayStation 3 platform should be able to avoid this issue by refraining from use of the third save slot in the game menu. If players get a corrupted save error, they should immediately use the ‘Home’ button to return to the PlayStation dashboard and wait for a patch that Telltale Games will be issuing very soon.

Patch Released - v1.03

A new patch has been released that will resolve this issue. Please exit gameplay to the XMB (Sony dashboard), and then relaunch the game. You will be prompted to install the v1.03 patch. Once installed, you can continue to play the Walking Dead.

Please note, if you received the corrupted save message and exited to the XMB (Sony dashboard), then you will need to rewind 1 checkpoint before continuing your game. If you have never received this message, or pulled down an unaffected save from cloud storage, you can continue your game as normal.

It's maybe my favorite episode so far. Have fun!

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I've started playing Trash Panic again. Ignoring the fact that single player is balls hard, is there any rhyme or reason as to how to make the trash can lift up and tip in multiplayer mode? Even if I try not touching my controller, it'll lift sometimes!

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
How much worse, exactly, are Mass Effect 2 and 3 on the PS3 compared to the 360? I have both of the HD twins, but my 360 recently bit the bullet, and with the Mass Effect Trilogy having been announced for the PS3 too, there isn't really a reason for me to own a 360 anymore per se - I'm not into Halo etc. and was basically holding onto my 360 for ME1, which will now also appear on the PS3. I could theoretically sell my 360 instead of buying a new one and just get the Mass Effect games for the PS3 this time around, but are they a significant downgrade from the 360 versions?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fabulous Knight posted:

How much worse, exactly, are Mass Effect 2 and 3 on the PS3 compared to the 360? I have both of the HD twins, but my 360 recently bit the bullet, and with the Mass Effect Trilogy having been announced for the PS3 too, there isn't really a reason for me to own a 360 anymore per se - I'm not into Halo etc. and was basically holding onto my 360 for ME1, which will now also appear on the PS3. I could theoretically sell my 360 instead of buying a new one and just get the Mass Effect games for the PS3 this time around, but are they a significant downgrade from the 360 versions?

They're not significant but ME2 has some noticeable problems with audio skipping and loading times which may feel a lot more aggravating after the 360 versions.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
The PS3 version of ME2 is the one with the digital comic that lets you not kill Wrex without playing through the whole game, right?

I think you'll be ok.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Those choices sure are easier to make when you're just looking at them in a comic book, rather than actually playing ME1.

Fabulous Knight
Nov 11, 2011
And judging by comparisons courtesy of Digital Foundry the framerate on ME's PS3 version does get kind of bad at times in some cutscenes, but it's not something I'd necessarily notice if someone didn't specifically point out the fact to me beforehand. On the plus side, there is no switching discs with the PS3 versions of the games, a definite actual advantage over the 360 versions. I guess I'll have to ponder this for a while.

Mechanigma
Apr 17, 2007

ur already ded

Jolo posted:

Yeah. They leave a trail, but it can be difficult to see exactly where they will come down. If the game could be played zoomed out it would fix several problems with the game, and these enemies would be kinda fun to deal with. These enemies are just one of many unfun elements in the game that crop up more frequently as the game progresses. I like the silly story and some of the humor and minigames, which is why this game's decline is a bummer. There's a really fun game there in the first couple of hours.

These guys are a lot easier if you jump up to hit them, I found. It makes it easier to see where they'll go next and position yourself accordingly.

Vaerai Archon
Jan 4, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Post

axleblaze posted:

I don't care if they lost the source code, if Sega wants me to actually like them as a company again they need to remake Saga. Hell, just make a sequel. I don't care. There is still no other game like that game.

I've always wanted to play PDS but I have to admit I know nothing of what made the Gameplay so different. I have Orta and by owning Orta I indirectly have Panzer Dragoon 1(it's unlockable) and that's been my total time with the series. I mean does Saga play like an open world RPG with railshooter aspects?

However I've always wanted to try Saga just out of sheer curiosity. I know the earlier CD based consoles had next to no copyright protection(Saturn had terrible region locking that could be bypassed easily). If they needed the source code to recreate the game they could probably dismantle it through a retail copy.

Vaerai Archon fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 14, 2012

Soylentbits
Apr 2, 2007

im worried that theyre setting her up to be jotaros future wife or something.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Those choices sure are easier to make when you're just looking at them in a comic book, rather than actually playing ME1.

You see a playable character. Do you kill him? Yes/ No

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
It is very dark and gritty. You are likely to be eaten be a thresher maw.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Vaerai Archon posted:

I've always wanted to play PDS but I have to admit I know nothing of what made the Gameplay so different. I have Orta and by owning Orta I indirectly have Panzer Dragoon 1(it's unlockable) and that's been my total time with the series. I mean does Saga play like an open world RPG with railshooter aspects?

I haven't played it in a long time but yeah, pretty much . It's not THAT open world like being a Saturn game but there was still large areas you could fly freely around. The battles played out like a combination of a rail shooter and a traditional RPG. You could freely move and position yourself in battle while attacking was still turn based. As I said, there is really nothing else like it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Soylentbits posted:

Basically yeah, it spells out exactly what the consequences are of anything you do, so you'd have to be an idiot not to just select exactly the right outcome. ME1 wasn't SO mysterious in that respect to begin with but still, it came across rather silly and pointless.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Soylentbits posted:

I still have never understood why they defaulted to "Yes" if you didn't have a ME1 save game. It seems like such a stupid idea, to limit developed characters.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I still have never understood why they defaulted to "Yes" if you didn't have a ME1 save game. It seems like such a stupid idea, to limit developed characters.

They wanted you to buy the previous game, basically.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

Dadjacket posted:

Most of the save issues I have been reading about have been on Steam, and on the whole the PS3 version seems to be much safer. I do know the issue you're concerned about, however, and it seems that it's been fixed: http://www.telltalegames.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36085

It's maybe my favorite episode so far. Have fun!

I've only got the one save slot so that one's not a big deal to me yet, but hopefully nothing else weird happens. Just gotta wait till Wednesday :argh:

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Fabulous Knight posted:

You could also buy the games off steam/origin/retail and plug your 360 controller into your computer. Just go with whichever option is the cheapest.

I'm not sure why people are recommending you skip Mass Effect 1 and just use the comic choice system. Mass Effect 1 is a good game and playing it will make you enjoy Mass Effect 2 more. Don't skip it to jump straight into Mass Effect 2. If you really want to save a certain popular character just make sure you put points into either Paragon or Renegade (which you should be maxing anyway since the games combat is pretty drat easy)

To make you play the first game I guess. Personally I didn't save Wrex because I didn't select the correct option but I still enjoyed the rest of the game even without him.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SolidRed posted:

You could also buy the games off steam/origin/retail and plug your 360 controller into your computer. Just go with whichever option is the cheapest.
Nope, all three Mass Effect games have no controller support on the PC (unless all three have been patched to add it in the last few months). If they did I would have bought it there instead. It's a perplexing decision, to say the least. Goes completely against the current industry standard for cross-platforms games.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Oct 14, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The "official" reason is that they thought new players would be confused by Shepard being buddies with someone they had never seen before.

In the same game with 2 returning squadmates.

SolidRed
Jan 23, 2008
and if you didn't know.... NOW YOU KNOW - Christian Cage

Samurai Sanders posted:

Nope, all three Mass Effect games have no controller support on the PC (unless all three have been patched to add it in the last few months). If they did I would have bought it there instead. It's a perplexing decision, to say the least.

Oh wow really? That's.... interesting. I played it with a keyboard and mouse and it plays fine but you can tell it was designed for a controller. Mass Effect 3 in particular where you get alot less abilities to use making hotkeys not as important as in the first two games.

That's an unbelievably stupid thing to leave out. I don't know how hard it is to implement but I can't imagine it would be that hard. Did they just not want Xbox owners to buy the game cheaper on PC or something?

Aphrodite posted:

The "official" reason is that they thought new players would be confused by Shepard being buddies with someone they had never seen before.

In the same game with 2 returning squadmates.
This seems particularly odd as I remember in Mass Effect 2 having a selection at the start of the game where you get asked questions about what you did in Mass Effect 1. My game skipped this bit because I had imported my data but I had assumed that would let you pick at least the big choices in case you were swapping console/lost your data.

SolidRed fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 15, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

SolidRed posted:

Oh wow really? That's.... interesting. I played it with a keyboard and mouse and it plays fine but you can tell it was designed for a controller. Mass Effect 3 in particular where you get alot less abilities to use making hotkeys not as important as in the first two games.

That's an unbelievably stupid thing to leave out. I don't know how hard it is to implement but I can't imagine it would be that hard. Did they just not want Xbox owners to buy the game cheaper on PC or something?
Who knows what Bioware was thinking about a lot of things these days...

vvv you can make it work, but not ever as well as native support. Besides, you can't give it a ten-foot interface that way, which is the whole point of using a controller (to me anyway).

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Oct 15, 2012

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You can make anything work with a controller with a program or two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

SolidRed posted:

I'm not sure why people are recommending you skip Mass Effect 1 and just use the comic choice system. Mass Effect 1 is a good game and playing it will make you enjoy Mass Effect 2 more. Don't skip it to jump straight into Mass Effect 2. If you really want to save a certain popular character just make sure you put points into either Paragon or Renegade (which you should be maxing anyway since the games combat is pretty drat easy)

I enjoy the first one the most, but I haven't played three yet. One caveat though, only if you skip the sidequests outside of the moon one and some of the citadel ones.

• Locked thread