Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Role Play McMurphy posted:

In fact basically it doesn't matter what you do at all except a grade they give you at the end! LA Noire and Dragon Age 2, pioneering ways to make the player powerless, incompetent or just a replaceable cog in the gears of their narrative.

(which is expected in action games but adventure games and RPGs should be held to a higher standard)

In what way does L.A. Noire's structure differ dramatically from every other video game? How many video games permit you to fail the central plot of the game in ways other than failing a combat scenario or something (in the same way that L.A. Noire does)? Please offer examples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rakanakle
Mar 17, 2009

tooooooo bad posted:

In what way does L.A. Noire's structure differ dramatically from every other video game? How many video games permit you to fail the central plot of the game in ways other than failing a combat scenario or something (in the same way that L.A. Noire does)? Please offer examples.

Morrowind and Dead Rising.

Crappy Jack posted:

Right, but LA Noire does a bad job of disguising this, because every single player at some point got annoyed during the Homicide desk because the game forced you to make a decision you KNEW was bad in order to continue the oh-so-important story.

Phelps knew it was bad too, judging by how often he commented about how nothing seemed to fit together. You had to put away somebody.

Rakanakle fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Oct 11, 2011

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

tooooooo bad posted:

Right, but LA Noire does a bad job of disguising this, because every single player at some point got annoyed during the Homicide desk because the game forced you to make a decision you KNEW was bad in order to continue the oh-so-important story.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
Anyone else looking forward to inFamous 2: Festival of Blood? Haven't really heard a peep about it other than vampires, $15, standalone content. I just got my inFamous 2 plat and I really have a soft spot for these games so I'm probably gonna get it although the price point is a bit of a turnoff. Undead Nightmare turned out great so if its just as fun/long I'll have no problem dropping the moolah.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

That was the entire point of those Homicide cases guy.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

That was the entire point of those Homicide cases guy.

Yes. And it was a bad point. That thing works great in a movie, but not in a video game. They were so busy trying to make their game like a movie that they forgot to make it a game, too.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Crappy Jack posted:

Yes. And it was a bad point. That thing works great in a movie, but not in a video game. They were so busy trying to make their game like a movie that they forgot to make it a game, too.

Why is it a bad point? Because I think the way it aligns both the player and the player character against the in-universe establishment that's forcing them to make bad choices is a legitimately clever device for a video game to use, and one that wouldn't work at all outside of a video game.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

tooooooo bad posted:

Why is it a bad point? Because I think the way it aligns both the player and the player character against the in-universe establishment that's forcing them to make bad choices is a legitimately clever device for a video game to use, and one that wouldn't work at all outside of a video game.

It's also incredibly demeaning to the player to put them in the homicide desk and not actually let them solve a single homicide case. Also they telegraph way too much stuff way too obviously, so you end up spending half the desk going "I KNOW EXACTLY WHO DID IT" but the game still keeps making you do things you know are wrong. There's a way to do it correctly, and the idea is sound, but the execution is terrible. Much the same as Cole's dilemma later in the game. LA Noire's a ton of really good ideas marred by bad execution, a lot of which is due to the fact that they put the story too far ahead of the actual game. The two never really mesh in the way that it needed to.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Jjaarreett posted:

Anyone else looking forward to inFamous 2: Festival of Blood? Haven't really heard a peep about it other than vampires, $15, standalone content. I just got my inFamous 2 plat and I really have a soft spot for these games so I'm probably gonna get it although the price point is a bit of a turnoff. Undead Nightmare turned out great so if its just as fun/long I'll have no problem dropping the moolah.

Yes. I am so stoked for a return to Infamous 2. It was such a better game than 1.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Crappy Jack posted:

Don't worry about platting either. The ICO trophy for beating it in 2 hours? From what I can see, the world record is 1:45. Don't do that one.

For SotC, the trophies for maxing out your health and grip bar require you to play the game about 4 times in order to collect enough fruit and lizard tails to do it. You also need pretty much max grip to reach the top of the sanctuary.

Both of these things were easily accomplished with glitches that are unfortunately fixed in the PS3 rerelease. Do not worry about platting the games, because it is way harder than you'd think.

Seems like you're projecting. Just because you can't plat them, it doesn't mean that I can't. Obnoxious plats like this are nothing new to me.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

...! posted:

Seems like you're projecting. Just because you can't plat them, it doesn't mean that I can't. Obnoxious plats like this are nothing new to me.

I can back up this statement.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Jjaarreett posted:

Congrats, pre-order went up on the store tonight. $10, $8 for PS+. I'll be getting it too. New enemies and hopefully a bunch of new powers would make this worth while for me. Infamous 2 is very fun.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

...! posted:

Oh, I didn't say you can't. I just wanted to make sure you were up for the challenge and not expecting them to be easy ones you could hammer out in a few hours.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010

tooooooo bad posted:

It only aligned me against the game's designers for making my avatar be retarded. It's the video game equivalent of seeing a watching a horror movie where the protagonist is given every bit of information as to who the murderer is but then we're forced to sit and watch them make stupid decisions until they're ultimately killed. Makes for a lovely movie. Makes for an even WORSE game because the supposed advantage of video games is that the player has some sort of control or involvement in the game.

The best-case scenario in a large part of the game is failure. The only control the player can exert is failing to maximally fail. The better you are at playing the game, the more wrong you are!

Or it's kinda like if you played Final Fantasy 4 and an entire quarter of the game was those unwinnable battles

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

At some point we had a thread for the Playstation 3 release of Mass Effect 2, didn't we? I can't seem to find it, does anyone have the link?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Crappy Jack posted:

It's also incredibly demeaning to the player to put them in the homicide desk and not actually let them solve a single homicide case. Also they telegraph way too much stuff way too obviously, so you end up spending half the desk going "I KNOW EXACTLY WHO DID IT" but the game still keeps making you do things you know are wrong. There's a way to do it correctly, and the idea is sound, but the execution is terrible. Much the same as Cole's dilemma later in the game. LA Noire's a ton of really good ideas marred by bad execution, a lot of which is due to the fact that they put the story too far ahead of the actual game. The two never really mesh in the way that it needed to.

Crappy Jack speaks for me too. There is so much to applaud in LA Noire, but it's a game of extremes. I basically support all the design choices they made, but the execution of those choices was mostly always flawed.

It all comes down to the storytelling in the end. In the game, as it is written, Cole Phelps is a terrible, terrible cop. He shouts at grieving widows and orphans, accuses everyone of being in on the crime, and arrests lots of innocent people. The part that bothers me, as the player controlling Phelps, is that at no point can I choose not to shout at those people, or to not arrest someone that I know to be innocent.

I must hate myself as I still periodically hunt achievements for it on the 360 version, and the achievements are some of the worst that I've ever seen for any game. They actively make the game worse by forcing the player to further play against type.

Less Talk More Rock
May 8, 2007
Would you give it all up to live again?

VisAbsoluta posted:

At some point we had a thread for the Playstation 3 release of Mass Effect 2, didn't we? I can't seem to find it, does anyone have the link?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3381980

It died in June, so you might need archives for this.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.
I've been getting back into Brutal Legend. I beat the game on easy mode last year but lost the game save when my PS3 died. Brutal difficulty doesn't seem too bad with the exception of the car races with Fletus. How is the Hammer of Infinite Fate DLC for single player stuff?

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Beat New Vegas finally, ~70 hours later.

I decided at the very end to abandon my "character" and go with Mr. House. I think I did it primarily because I figured it'd extend the game out a bit, I dunno. God drat do I feel like a dick. NCR villified, blew up the Brotherhood... I'm a bad, bad man. Oh well, at least I got to watch Caesar's camp burn, that was nice.

Now to reload my save game before deciding to help Mr. House, so I can kill his rear end instead and explore my options a little.

And then, Deus Ex. Finally. :toot:

e. What's nice too is that 70 hours in and I still haven't discovered nearly everything. There's... just so much content. :catstare: and I don't even have the DLC stuff yet!

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Code Jockey posted:

Beat New Vegas finally, ~70 hours later.

I decided at the very end to abandon my "character" and go with Mr. House. I think I did it primarily because I figured it'd extend the game out a bit, I dunno. God drat do I feel like a dick. NCR villified, blew up the Brotherhood... I'm a bad, bad man. Oh well, at least I got to watch Caesar's camp burn, that was nice.

Now to reload my save game before deciding to help Mr. House, so I can kill his rear end instead and explore my options a little.

And then, Deus Ex. Finally. :toot:

e. What's nice too is that 70 hours in and I still haven't discovered nearly everything. There's... just so much content. :catstare: and I don't even have the DLC stuff yet!

That's nice and all but you have to actually plat the game before you can play Deus Ex.

Epoxy Bulletin
Sep 7, 2009

delikpate that thing!
Maybe I missed the boat on this since it was at Tokyo Game Show and PAX already, but is there a Suda/Grasshopper thread or any info on Lollipop Chainsaw anywhere? I just found the trailer by happenstance today.

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

...! posted:

That's nice and all but you have to actually plat the game before you can play Deus Ex.

That's cruel!

I'm glad I finally shook my psychological need to collect trophies. I still go for ones that force me to play certain games in different and interesting ways, but I have so little time to game nowadays that platting larger games like Fallout is almost impossible for me.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I am continually amazed someone gives a poo poo about trophies at all, but whatever floats your boat I guess v:shobon:v

Superanos
Nov 13, 2009

Going after trophies in GTA4 is the biggest mistake I've made. There's a trophy for getting max level in multiplayer.

In GTA4 the maximum level is 10 which requires 5 million EXP points. The fastest way to gain experience is to grind a co-op mission called "Hangman's Noose" which takes somewhere between 2 and 3 minutes to complete if you're fast. You get anywhere between 4k and 5k experience for completing it.

Yes, you have to complete this 3 minute mission over a thousand times. That's 3000 minutes. 50 hours. Nothing but grinding the same mission over and over again. The game even uses an EXP table straight out of a Korean MMO - it takes 2.5 million EXP to get level 9 and just that one more level takes another 2.5 million.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I really want to pre-order the MGS HD collection, but I still don't know for sure if Vita transfarring will be available, much less available in the states. Has there been any recent news on this?

Baggot
Sep 9, 2009

Hail to the King, baby.

SpacePig posted:

I really want to pre-order the MGS HD collection, but I still don't know for sure if Vita transfarring will be available, much less available in the states. Has there been any recent news on this?

It was confirmed on Konami's American website. We just don't know the details. I'm going to guess that it's likely they'll release a PSV version of MGS2&3 and you'll have to buy that separately, but the saves will transfer from the PS3 version and vice-versa.

I'm torn on whether to pre-order the LE of MGSHDC. $30 extra seems like a lot for just an art book.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Baggot posted:

It was confirmed on Konami's American website. We just don't know the details. I'm going to guess that it's likely they'll release a PSV version of MGS2&3 and you'll have to buy that separately, but the saves will transfer from the PS3 version and vice-versa.

I'm torn on whether to pre-order the LE of MGSHDC. $30 extra seems like a lot for just an art book.

Alright... Well... I'll probably order it anyway, because MGS3 is one of my all-time favorite games, and the HD screenshots look great. I haven't played Peace Walker, either, so it'll be nice to play an upgraded version.

I saw the LE, too. I do love the art of the MGS series, but I've paid about $30 for an art book before, but if it's like the book that came with the Assassin's Creed 2 LE, it's definitely not worth it.

e: Amazon's picture makes it look reasonably sized, if a bit on the small side.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Dark Souls thread has ~12810 replies and 430,000 views. The game has been out 9 days. :psypop:

:psypop: is also the face I've been making through most of the areas I've been exploring in the game.

Also, I feel bad now that I probably won't ever beat DXHR since this came out in the middle of my playthrough.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Undead Zombie posted:

Yes, you have to complete this 3 minute mission over a thousand times. That's 3000 minutes. 50 hours. Nothing but grinding the same mission over and over again. The game even uses an EXP table straight out of a Korean MMO - it takes 2.5 million EXP to get level 9 and just that one more level takes another 2.5 million.

Armored Core: For Answer has an achievement where you must win 10 000 online matches. 10k. Not just play, but win.

I consider myself a mild trophy whore, but goddamn.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Attitude Indicator posted:

I am continually amazed someone gives a poo poo about trophies at all, but whatever floats your boat I guess v:shobon:v

They seem to push people to do horrible things to themselves that nobody should ever consider doing for fun. And people do it. Why!? I could just about understand it if each achievement earned you a little store credit or something, but I've taken to disabling achievement notifications on the 360 now. They're just kinda annoying.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Morpheus posted:

Armored Core: For Answer has an achievement where you must win 10 000 online matches. 10k. Not just play, but win.

I consider myself a mild trophy whore, but goddamn.

Jesus christ. Even if you farmed the poo poo out of that, it would still take a small eternity.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Dominic White posted:

They seem to push people to do horrible things to themselves that nobody should ever consider doing for fun. And people do it. Why!? I could just about understand it if each achievement earned you a little store credit or something, but I've taken to disabling achievement notifications on the 360 now. They're just kinda annoying.

Even something in-game would be nice. That's what achievements used to be. Beat this track? Unlock this car. Kill this guy? Get this weapon. Beat a certain mode under a certain time? Unlock this character.

Now it's just Do any of those things, get a shiny picture. To get any of those rewards, buy some stuff.

Multiplayer trophies can go ahead and go gently caress themselves.

XionPi
May 8, 2006

SpacePig posted:

Which is why I won't even consider going for most platinum trophies (Portal 2 being my most recent instance, despite my mild interest in the co-op). Then again, the only times I even get a fair amount of trophies are when casually playing through the game nets you more than 50% of the trophies (Infamous 1 & 2, Assassin's Creed 2, etc)

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Assassin's Creed 2 is the only platinum I have, and I'm pretty sure I got all the trophies just by playing the game, never specifically looking for trophies. I agree that most trophies are pretty ludicrous and require you to do dumb things, but getting trophies for finding fun hidden stuff or things of that sort is nice if pointless, as finding them should be enough of a reward, actually.

The only good thing about trophies and achivements that I can come up with is that they work as an indicator of how much of the game you've experienced. Of course this can easily be replaced by a percentage counter in-game.

I've had MGS4 for over two years and played through it several times and realized only a few months ago that the game has no trophies (by someone whining that they should patch them in). :haw:

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Even something in-game would be nice. That's what achievements used to be. Beat this track? Unlock this car. Kill this guy? Get this weapon. Beat a certain mode under a certain time? Unlock this character.

Now it's just Do any of those things, get a shiny picture. To get any of those rewards, buy some stuff.

Exactly - I think somebody really missed this bus here. Any kind of tangible incentive, no matter how small, would have been nice. I'd even take the PSN store opening up special backgrounds or avatars based on your level. After several years of enjoying the sound of a new trophy/achievement unlock, I now just don't give a poo poo.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Ditch achievements, bring back crazy cheats and hidden goodies for doing things in a game. Seriously, I'm pretty sure MGS4 is the last game I can remember where beating the game in a certain way or in a certain difficulty gave you cool things for the next playthrough. Why don't games do this stuff anymore? :(

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

The Uncharted games have in-game equivalents of their trophies that give you unlock points or something, don't they?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Armor-Piercing posted:

The Uncharted games have in-game equivalents of their trophies that give you unlock points or something, don't they?

Yes, and you can use those points to buy all the guns so you can use them at any time, alternate skins, cheats, and even different game filters cause Naughty Dog are awesome trolls and have a brown filter for shits and giggles.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

:doh: Forgot about the Uncharted games. Those are an excellent example of things games should have instead of bland trophies that give you absolutely nothing in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Urban Achiever
Mar 29, 2005

Exactly.

• Locked thread