Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Additionally, the fact that they made 3 games in a row featuring Ezio as a playable character and then immediately ditched Connor after one release should tell you that at least one fairly major part of the game did not resonate as well as past releases.

Except there's no way that AC4 wasn't already started before 3 came out.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Connor was such a wasted opportunity. I know they wanted a Mohawk speaker for his voice actor but he was really bad, and the writing wasn't good either.

Connor's voice actor isn't Mohawk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Connor's voice actor isn't Mohawk.
I dunno about his tribal affiliation or anything but I thought they explicitly got a bilingual with Mohawk voice actor, I assumed that massively reduced the number of applicants and that's why they hired what sounds like a complete amateur for the job.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nope, he had to be coached through it.

He even pronounces his own name wrong at a few points.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Nope, he had to be coached through it.

He even pronounces his own name wrong at a few points.
Well that's dumb, if they could have coached just any VA to do the Mohawk, why not hire someone who isn't terrible at voice acting? He sounds like a wooden plank. Especially compared to Haytham's VA.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Mar 3, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Aphrodite posted:

Except there's no way that AC4 wasn't already started before 3 came out.

Given that it's not out until next year I think it's plausible that this was either not going to be AC4 or was originally being developed differently. These games are normally developed in 2 years and the reception of AC3 would give them like a year and a half to make any possible changes. I think it would be very strange of them to just assume that this time they ought to swap protagonists despite having a history of doing the opposite.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It's out this year.

Plus the guy is Haytham's dad or whatever, so it's not like they completely dropped Connor just yet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want to know how they develop those historical environments so fast. They can re-use the engine, the story missions all fall into one of a small group of categories, the story can't take that long to write because its shlock, they need just a couple days to do all the voice recording, but surely making those somewhat historically accurate cities has got to take some serious time. When I saw AC1 I couldn't have imagined it would become an annual franchise, because of that.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Sorry I didn't see they had set a release date, I had only heard about the earnings call or whatever where they said "before April 2014".

Samurai Sanders posted:

I want to know how they develop those historical environments so fast. They can re-use the engine, the story can't take that long to write because its shlock, they need just a couple days to do all the voice recording, but surely making those somewhat historically accurate cities has got to take some serious time. When I saw AC1 I couldn't have imagined it would become an annual franchise, because of that.

They have like a zillion dudes working on little pieces of these games I think.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

This one isn't being made by Montreal either, so whoever is doing it could have been working on it for a while.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Adun posted:

Going to be disappointed if I can't stab someone then immediately go into low profile by walking off with his girlfriend.

Whores, bro. They don't care.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seriously, I want to team up with a courtesan to kill people all smooth like that, not just use them to distract but actually as a partner, it would be sweet.

edit: but then, what I really want is a female protagonist in a main line AC game. Imagine how cool it would be to be the courtesan yourself, pretty much.

I'd love an Assassin game set up like the career path of the Legen of the Five Rings ninjas. You're trained for two months in the classic movie style; black mask, ninja-to, shurikens, all that crap and sent on missions. The only thing is that you're a disposable distraction for the real assassins that ingratiated themselves into the household weeks ago. If you somehow manage to survive for one year you graduate to actual ninja and you have a new wave of rookies serving as your distraction.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

They have like a zillion dudes working on little pieces of these games I think.
If they had fewer guys but a longer development time then maybe the credits wouldn't be literally 45 minutes long.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

My interest in AC4 is actually dependent on if they're going to tie it in to some future day story/new trilogy.

If it's a one off, and doesn't turn out to be very generic, then yeah I'll be excited for ARRassin's Creed!

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Samurai Sanders posted:

If they had fewer guys but a longer development time then maybe the credits wouldn't be literally 45 minutes long.

Check out the Rayman: Origins credits some time.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
I was about to mention that. I think that rivals Scott Pilgrim's game credits.

I mean I work as a QAer but loving hell I feel sorry for the bastard who had to sit through all that poo poo just to make sure there weren't any misspellings. gently caress you ubisoft. Almost made me not want to play Rayman after that loving long rear end credit sequence.

At least they had to decency to let me skip it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The worst part about Assassin's Creed was I loved the setting in the first one but it wasn't a very good game compared to 2+Brotherhood.

I thought Revelations would kinda fix that but apparently it doesn't.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Shindragon posted:

I was about to mention that. I think that rivals Scott Pilgrim's game credits.

I mean I work as a QAer but loving hell I feel sorry for the bastard who had to sit through all that poo poo just to make sure there weren't any misspellings. gently caress you ubisoft. Almost made me not want to play Rayman after that loving long rear end credit sequence.

At least they had to decency to let me skip it.
What is it about Ubisoft in particular and long game credits? Did that many people actually work on all of their games, or do the credits have everyone who even sneezed in the direction of the game's development from anywhere in the world?

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The worst part about Assassin's Creed was I loved the setting in the first one but it wasn't a very good game compared to 2+Brotherhood.

I thought Revelations would kinda fix that but apparently it doesn't.
I keep reading that the series got better after AC1, but I don't see how. Other than adding fast travel and a handful of minor improvements, everything that was lovely in AC1 carried over to all the sequels. I guess the fact that you can trade money for meaningless rewards that don't affect the gameplay and pixel-hunting for hundreds of equally meaningless trinkets scratches some people's OCD.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Samurai Sanders posted:

What is it about Ubisoft in particular and long game credits? Did that many people actually work on all of their games, or do the credits have everyone who even sneezed in the direction of the game's development from anywhere in the world?

They own roughly a million studios around the world and they have a bunch of them working on all their major releases. So everyone at each of the studios involved gets credited, even if they were in Ubisoft Turkmenistan and did nothing but make a couple of buildings for a multiplayer map or whatever.

e: Seriously look at this madness http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubisoft#Current

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Spermando posted:

I keep reading that the series got better after AC1, but I don't see how. Other than adding fast travel and a handful of minor improvements, everything that was lovely in AC1 carried over to all the sequels. I guess the fact that you can trade money for meaningless rewards that don't affect the gameplay and pixel-hunting for hundreds of equally meaningless trinkets scratches some people's OCD.

Better controls, better combat, an actual protagonist and not a robot masquerading as a human, better story, much less repetitive missions, ect ect.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Spermando posted:

RatHat covered it but basically better everything. It was like the jump from Uncharted 1> Uncharted 2. Sure they were both linear 3rd person shooters but the second one just did EVERYTHING better. Obviously if you hate the gameplay anyway then yeah it's not like they magically made it a different game but they did refine it in the second one. I disagree that all the lovely stuff carried over, my main complaint with AC1 was it was just... boring. Boring story, boring missions. They fixed a lot of that in AC2.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
Sorry, but I don't see how the missions or the combat are better in the other games. In the Ezio trilogy it's virtually impossible to die in combat and the parries are even more broken than in AC1. Some people say the combat being lovely is the point (like in Splinter Cell), but that's bullshit because they force you into fights all the time. Not to mention after AC1 they started relying on those scripted "do everything exactly the way we want you to and don't get spotted or it's game over" missions. At least AC1 lets you skip straight to the assassinations after a bit of busywork.
I wish they ditched the lovely Farmville/real estate simulator stuff and worked on making the combat fun, focused more on assassinations, and made missions that are actually fun to play (2 and Brotherhood have a few of those, but they're completely unrelated to the main story)

Spermando fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Mar 3, 2013

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I said come in! posted:

I like the Uncharted 3 multiplayer, but the single player is just not for me anymore. When Uncharted 2 came out, I felt like it was one of my favorite games of all time, but now I can't stand to play it. I don't think I can get through the UC3 campaign, because of its constant stopping the gameplay for a scripted event that takes control away from you. I use to think that sort of cinematic approach was cool, now it just bugs the hell out of me to the point where i'm not having fun at all playing UC3. UC2's single player is the same.

Jeezus, Kyle, just learn to go with the flow, man. Seriously, it's not going to go anywhere in games anytime soon, and the idea is that you're playing through a movie. Cutscenes are going to show up. Wait, you're not one of those dudes that skips all the cutscenes, are you?

[edit] Mother of all fucks, how old was this tab when I restored it? Sorry, this was a WAY old response, I didn't mean to drum it up so long after the fact.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's not just ubisoft. It doesn't take much to get in the credits. Hell it's probably known, but single player games? Rougly 4 max. All those names you see like 16 or more, that's either some who joined in the early phases, or the late phases of the project.

But yeah Ubisoft is big and wants to give credit to EVERYONE that did a little. I mean I"m glad they put a skip credit sequence option. It's just. Gah.

Though I guess I"m not the only one who sits through game credits to see if there is a little tease at the end.

drat you Metal Gear. :argh:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

SamBishop posted:

Jeezus, Kyle, just learn to go with the flow, man. Seriously, it's not going to go anywhere in games anytime soon, and the idea is that you're playing through a movie. Cutscenes are going to show up. Wait, you're not one of those dudes that skips all the cutscenes, are you?

Cinematic games like L.A. Noire and Heavy Rain are really only fun to play through once. At least the shooting and climbing in Uncharted are good enough that I can keep going back to them.

Something that a lot of people complain about is that when a game goes in to a cutscene, the character they're playing as will act differently or be incapable of the things they can do in the game. For example, a being shot in a cutscene is much more deadly than in-game. If you could die to a single gunshot in Uncharted, it would be very difficult and unforgiving, so they made the compromise that realism is the focus in cutscenes, without having to hold back how enjoyable the game is.

Realism is not the same as good game design. It works for a lot of genres, like racing and sports, but when you're controlling an actual person, realism only gets in the way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

That loving Sned posted:

Something that a lot of people complain about is that when a game goes in to a cutscene, the character they're playing as will act differently or be incapable of the things they can do in the game. For example, a being shot in a cutscene is much more deadly than in-game. If you could die to a single gunshot in Uncharted, it would be very difficult and unforgiving, so they made the compromise that realism is the focus in cutscenes, without having to hold back how enjoyable the game is.

Realism is not the same as good game design. It works for a lot of genres, like racing and sports, but when you're controlling an actual person, realism only gets in the way.

That's not really a complaint about realism though. That's more "If a bullet can't kill me in game it shouldn't kill me in cutscenes" and has existed as long as games have had cutscenes. Even in Metal Gear Rising where you pick up a loving metal gear and throw it in the first 5 minutes of the game they do this (if you fall off a roof in one level you get a game over, Raiden falls much farther in a cutscene and survives)

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche
Let's watch more AC4 trailers because why not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6JsGir4thM

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

SamBishop posted:

[edit] Mother of all fucks, how old was this tab when I restored it? Sorry, this was a WAY old response, I didn't mean to drum it up so long after the fact.

I don't skip cutscenes, and I know that the game is trying to be like a movie, but that doesn't mean it's for me or that i'm going to like it. There are plenty of people with the same complaints about Uncharted. I want to play a video game, not have it play for me, and that's what Uncharted is like, I use to be fine with that, I thought that movie like experience was pretty awesome, but now I don't like it anymore.

Uncharted 3 is just waaaaay too scripted. It seems like every single time you're climbing something, without fail, you can predict when a scripted sequence will occur where something Drake climbs onto, will break loose. It gets tiring super fast.

I said come in! fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 3, 2013

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I'd really like to see an Uncharted game on PS4 open up the level design some more and craft less of a linear experience. I don't mean an open world or anything like that but take the chateau level in Uncharted 3 for example, the way you enter the building is from climbing up somewhere after what was basically a long corridor that lead you to the building.

I'd love to see something in a new Uncharted game where once you reach the chateau or whatever, you're free to walk around the entire outside of the building and everything, and it's this large area where you've got to scout around and try to figure out how to get inside. I'd find that much more fun rather than the current system we have where when you get somewhere and there isn't any exploration to do at all, you're just in this tiny area and it takes all of two seconds to realize where you're supposed to climb up to.

They could probably craft some really entertaining puzzles if they opened up the level design like this, and it would likely double/triple the length of the games as well since players would have time to walk around and explore places rather than being led down corridor after corridor until reaching a combat arena.

AlwaysWetID34
Mar 8, 2003
*shrug*
Would someone be kind enough to give me a few game suggestions for younger kids. I have a 6 year old daughter who wants to play video games with me, I gave her a shot at Little Big Planet 2 and after 2 or 3 levels she started getting very frustrated. She splits the fence between being girly and being a tom boy right now. I'm looking for something fairly easy that allows for co op play so I can help her. I was going to pick up Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, since she like both legos and star wars and it seems like what I'm looking for.

Is there anything else recommended for little ones that isn't complete crap?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McFunkerson posted:

Would someone be kind enough to give me a few game suggestions for younger kids. I have a 6 year old daughter who wants to play video games with me, I gave her a shot at Little Big Planet 2 and after 2 or 3 levels she started getting very frustrated. She splits the fence between being girly and being a tom boy right now. I'm looking for something fairly easy that allows for co op play so I can help her. I was going to pick up Lego Star Wars: The Complete Saga, since she like both legos and star wars and it seems like what I'm looking for.

Flower and Journey are pretty simple and kid-friendly. They're not very long, but there's a bit of replayability in both games.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

I said come in! posted:

Uncharted 3 is just waaaaay too scripted. It seems like every single time you're climbing something, without fail, you can predict when a scripted sequence will occur where something Drake climbs onto, will break loose. It gets tiring super fast.

I know what you mean, and I made this same point to a friend when I was playing through the game, but how would you make something like this better? Could the developers make a more dynamic system where you don't always know what piece of the environment is going to break?

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't mean an open world or anything like that

I'd love an open world Uncharted game. Flying around the entire world solving mysteries and finding treasure with Sully would be the best thing ever.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Cardboard Fox posted:

I know what you mean, and I made this same point to a friend when I was playing through the game, but how would you make something like this better? Could the developers make a more dynamic system where you don't always know what piece of the environment is going to break?

Yeah that's a good question that i've been trying to find an answer for in my head. I think at least for me, this type of action game is getting dry and stale. Plenty of people still love this sort of game though, but for me, i've moved on. And like I said before, when Uncharted 2 came out, I sang it's praises like crazy on this forum. I found it to be an incredible game, and its cinematic approach really grabbed me. My tastes in games have just changed since then is all. I totally recognize Uncharted 3 as a good game, just not one for me.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

Cardboard Fox posted:

Maybe they could implement actual platforming mechanics, rather than their current system of "here follow this linear path while stuff happens".

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

McFunkerson posted:

Toy Story 3 is fantastic for kids that age I think, particularly the Toy Box mode. Its essentially a 2 player cooperative cartoon Red Dead Redemption. Just a big open world to explore and do quests in. My niece is your girl's age and she had a great time with it. She spent a bunch of time customizing the buildings and dressing up the townspeople to her liking.

There's also a whole story mode thing based on the movie that's arguably the main attraction, but honestly I'd just immediately bomb out of that and jump into Toy Box.

Iskanderson
Apr 16, 2009

McFunkerson posted:

Rayman Origins would be pretty tough for a child, I think, but if you're playing co-op you only lose a bit of progress if both characters get taken out.

Also Plants vs Zombies has a co-op mode, and if you have the Move there's a whole array of dancing and singing games out there.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

McFunkerson posted:

Your feeling about the Lego games are accurate. I can more or less play them with my 4 year old daughter.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Alteisen posted:

So you guys remember overstrike? It looked like this neat coop shooter, 4 player, every character had a different gimmick, made by Insomniac, looked pretty awesome.

Well someone at EA saw it, said NOPE CAN'T HAVE THAT, now its fuse, looks incredibly generic and barely recognizable of the humorous trailer we saw.

Have some character trailers.

http://www.destructoid.com/meet-the-four-heroes-of-fuse-247533.phtml

Watch them smolder with generic rage.

Wow, can we just call this Focus-Testing: The Game at this point? I remember the Overstrike trailer and being pretty excited for the game since it looked like something that'd have a lot of charm to it. This stuff just looks so generic that you could mistaken it as a satire. This has EA's fingerprints all over it.

MUFFlNS
Mar 7, 2004

I wish that for just once, they would focus test games with people who aren't idiots. Just imagine the sort of games we'd get if these tests resulted in constant feedback like "Why's it so brown? Where's all the colour?", "Those quicktime events suck" and "This game is worthless until you fix the framerate".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

MUFFlNS posted:

I wish that for just once, they would focus test games with people who aren't idiots. Just imagine the sort of games we'd get if these tests resulted in constant feedback like "Why's it so brown? Where's all the colour?", "Those quicktime events suck" and "This game is worthless until you fix the framerate".
I've been in one focus group for a game and I could tell that the guy was about to kick me out because he could tell I knew too much about the game's development already. They want a representative sample of customers, not people from the high end of knowledge and interest that kind of thing, like all of us are.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 3, 2013

• Locked thread