Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Absolutely none of the things you hate are in BF3. It is a really fun game that rewards different styles of play very well. I sometimes play as a medic and can get the top score in the game by focusing entirely on support with maybe a couple of kills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

J posted:

I've got a few friends bugging me to pick up BF3 but I'm really picky about FPS games and I've never played a battlefield game before. I really like counterstrike and MAG, and really dislike COD and COD clones.

Things that I like:
-MAG's skill point system, I liked all the different types of builds you could do.
-Being able to live for a good length of time with smart, cautious play, and by cautious I don't mean camping in the same spot.
-The overall feel of the game engine in MAG - I felt like my shots went where I aimed, I rarely felt like I died because of "bullshit", the pacing of the movement was fast but not too fast

Things that I hate:
-Airstrikes/artillery/killstreaks/other things that vaporize huge sections of the map and kill you unavoidably
-Grenade spam
-Dudes respawning behind you after you kill them
-Map design where snipers can lock down all the paths on the map and generally can't be flanked
-Map design and game mechanics (chaining killstreaks, dudes respawning behind you) that encourage camping

Would I like BF3 at all? I'd be getting it for PC but I figured I'd ask the PS3 thread because I made several comparisons to MAG. I don't really know what to make of it and my friends can't answer any of my questions they just keep saying "dude it's so awesome."

"Probably". It hits things in both categories but it's much closer to MAG than CoD. You should've played the open beta like everyone else.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Do people still play a lot of MAG? Especially goons? It seems pretty cool.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
If I subscribe to PSN+, is there a monthly option? I only need it to back up saves and would rather not shell out for 3.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

a shameful boehner posted:

If I subscribe to PSN+, is there a monthly option? I only need it to back up saves and would rather not shell out for 3.

You don't have a USB flashdrive?

sentrygun
Dec 29, 2009

i say~
hey start:nya-sh

jabro posted:

You don't have a USB flashdrive?

Probably an issue with copy-protection.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Yup, Dark Souls, DX:HR, and a few important others are copy protected.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
There is no monthly option. The lowest price for Playstation Plus is $18 for 3 months. If someone is very nice, they could give you a 30-day trial from either the Infamous 2 or Uncharted 3 PS3 bundles.

If you do get it, don't forget to cancel auto-renewal in the PS+ service in Account Management. It's turned on by default.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I figured. Thanks for the information and the heads up about auto-renew. I guess I just need to back up the saves, delete my stored account info, and send it on off to the great Gamestop in the sky...

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Hey if you're looking to buy some games stop by Target before Saturday, they're running a buy 2 get one free deal on ALL games. I just picked up Uncharted 3, the new Batman, and Dead Island.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Amazon is doing it too and just included Uncharted 3. :)

Hopefully they extend it to next week so I can get Metal Gear.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Hahaha. Before this they couldn't stop talking about how he was a "younger" Dante and that totally explained everything and it was a prequel. Now it's totally an alternate dimension guys. (Please stop hating our design.)

I'm pretty sure the Ninja Theory guys have come out and stated that their original design for the game was a Dante-rear end Dante but Capcom told them to change it up more.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

I'm pretty sure the Ninja Theory guys have come out and stated that their original design for the game was a Dante-rear end Dante but Capcom told them to change it up more.

No, they never had a Dante-styled Dante. They blamed Kenji Inafune saying that he wanted them to change up the design but from the beginning they were doing their own things with the designs and running them past Capcom. Considering that the design they ended up with compared to the guy directing it, it doesn't really come across as Capcom being the primary visionary there.

Also, considering they've changed their story over and over, I'm pretty sure most of what they say is damage control and they have no clear idea what the gently caress they're doing. I suspect they're another group of people caught in the backlash from Inafune leaving Capcom and now that he is gone there is less support for them.

Edit: In fact, looking it up, they've changed their story on this too. They've said both that they started with completely weird designs at Capcom's request and that they did super-traditional Dante and then Capcom told them to change it. So yeah, Ninja Theory is basically talking out their rear end.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 3, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

No, they never had a Dante-styled Dante. They blamed Kenji Inafune saying that he wanted them to change up the design but from the beginning they were doing their own things with the designs and running them past Capcom. Considering that the design they ended up with compared to the guy directing it, it doesn't really come across as Capcom being the primary visionary there.

Actually, pretty early on they said they submitted a design to capcom that they rejected because it looked too much like normal Dante.

This isn't to say that Ninja Theory was forced into the design but pretty early on before this went into major damage control they did say that Capcom rejected their first design because it just kind of looked like Dante. Let me see if I can find the link...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

axleblaze posted:

Actually, pretty early on they said they submitted a design to capcom that they rejected because it looked too much like normal Dante.

This isn't to say that Ninja Theory was forced into the design but pretty early on before this went into major damage control they did say that Capcom rejected their first design because it just kind of looked like Dante. Let me see if I can find the link...

Yeah, I looked it up. They've said both. The one you mentioned they said in an interview with IGN not long after the game was announced, and then later on they said that the starting point was something "completely different.' (This was in one of the interviews where they called it a "gritty reboot" of the franchise.)

I can believe either story but I really doubt they have any sort of coherent design sense behind 'em at this point.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 3, 2011

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice
So uh. Can't help but notice that God Hand, and a few other PS2 games are now on the PS Store. Also I somehow got the $10 wallet bonus even though I didn't spend nearly $60 in October. Hooray Sony! Free God Hand!

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I've got Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, and Resistance 3 headed my way with the 3 for 2 deal. I don't have time to blow up this many things.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

DC Universe Online finally finished downloading this morning, I hope this was worth it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't have nearly enough room for that game, and since the hard drive industry flooded I won't be getting it any time soon either.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I said come in! posted:

DC Universe Online finally finished downloading this morning, I hope this was worth it.

I've been having quite a fun time with it, been playing for like 6-7 hours and it feels more refined than the beta did. It's just a little slow going at first.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope this does well, and apparently Free Realms did pretty good on the PS3. All I really want is an Everquest game on the PS3, but at this point that probably won't happen until the PS4.

Dukket
Apr 28, 2007
So I says to her, I says “LADY, that ain't OIL, its DIRT!!”

I said come in! posted:

I hear ya, I'm guessing it took five hours, maybe more. I hoping its good, but I have a feeling it just won't hold my interest for too long. We shall see.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Dukket posted:

I hear ya, I'm guessing it took five hours, maybe more. I hoping its good, but I have a feeling it just won't hold my interest for too long. We shall see.

I'm playing right now and it plays like a brawler/action RPG, but in an MMO setting, which is cool. The game was designed with a controller in mind, but not a T.V., even on my 720p HDTV, the text is small... or maybe I just need to not sit so far away from my TV. :p

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I said come in! posted:

I'm playing right now and it plays like a brawler/action RPG, but in an MMO setting, which is cool. The game was designed with a controller in mind, but not a T.V., even on my 720p HDTV, the text is small... or maybe I just need to not sit so far away from my TV. :p
When I played the beta, the UI was garbage. It was tiny, unreadable, and not very responsive.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

THe UI was designed for consoles, but with PC appropriate sizing.

So it ends up sucking for everyone.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Aphrodite posted:

So playing it on my PS3 hooked up to my 22" PC monitor a couple feet away I may be the one customer it works out for.

Only 12.7gb left to download. :gonk:

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3
What is this, it's November. Good games have come out. They're still coming.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

You can adjust the UI in the settings, I'm seeing all kinds of stuff like Screen Scaling and text size adjustment.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Policenaut posted:

You can adjust the UI in the settings, I'm seeing all kinds of stuff like Screen Scaling and text size adjustment.

I think all of that is new.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Aphrodite posted:

I think all of that is new.

It was in the beta. :confused:

I'm letting it download right now. I kind of regret doing that because I thought I was going to be somewhere else right now and now I have to wait for it, but I'm still a little excited. I'm one of the few people around these parts that actually enjoyed the beta, but I still wasn't willing to pay money for it. This works out quite well for me.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Is there any important console difference with the MGS collection or is controller preference a good enough reason to base a decision on?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

axleblaze posted:

It was in the beta. :confused:

I'm letting it download right now. I kind of regret doing that because I thought I was going to be somewhere else right now and now I have to wait for it, but I'm still a little excited. I'm one of the few people around these parts that actually enjoyed the beta, but I still wasn't willing to pay money for it. This works out quite well for me.

Yeah, I wasn't ready to plop down $60 + monthly fee for the game but the thing going free to play plus subscription tiers is a lot more convincing to me. I shelled out for 3 months already and if I get my full money's worth out of that time then I'll be happy.

Spalec
Apr 16, 2010

ElwoodCuse posted:

Is there any important console difference with the MGS collection or is controller preference a good enough reason to base a decision on?

I think the PS3 version has some sort of PSP connectivity? Like shares saves or something?

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
So I remember hearing around the time of the PSN outage that there were plans to include offline multiplayer in Uncharted 3. Did that end up happening or is it online only?

Chip Cheezum
Sep 5, 2006

Sic Parvis Magna and all that
I haven't tried it yet but the menu shows an option for LAN parties and offline split-screen co-op.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Chip Cheezum posted:

I haven't tried it yet but the menu shows an option for LAN parties and offline split-screen co-op.
Is the co-op full game? Or do you mean, split-screen co-op like the co-op MP levels in UC2?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

ElwoodCuse posted:

The DualShock has pressure sensitivity on the face buttons while the 360 controller doesn't. MGS2/3 were two of the few games that actually took advantage of this so the 360 controls might be more complicated. IIRC in MGS2 you could disengage aiming without firing a shot by letting up on the fire button, and in MGS3 I think certain CQC moves depended on button sensitivity.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Shalinor posted:

Is the co-op full game? Or do you mean, split-screen co-op like the co-op MP levels in UC2?

Its like UC2. I believe you can do online multiplayer split screen as well.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Chip Cheezum posted:

Does that include the deathmatch modes for offline system link? If so, that's gonna be an awesome addition to a certain gaming convention next year! :D

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Policenaut posted:

The text size is for chat only. Everything is still in microscope mode.

• Locked thread