Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Dominic White posted:

I'm pretty sure that the reason for non-Bioware/Bethesda RPGs practically disappearing from shelves isn't 'Hurr durr animus', and more the fact that sales from folks walking in off the street have most likely dwindled in stores to the point where it's not worth even stocking them - niche items sell plenty well online, anyway.

If anything, that was where I was surprised - I would have thought they'd expect reasonable levels of sale from an established IP, at least. Did D3 do that badly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Stelas posted:

If anything, that was where I was surprised - I would have thought they'd expect reasonable levels of sale from an established IP, at least. Did D3 do that badly?

I'd imagine that sales profiles just differ between stores and online - you're more likely to get people coming in for the latest AAA blockbuster in a shop, because that's what they're advertising with 6-foot-tall banners outside. Online, you've likely got a more tech-savvy, geeky audience.

RockPaperShotgun have done some articles comparing what's in the top 10 sellers in UK stores compared to Steam, and they're very different lists. The retail top 10 is almost always dominated by The Sims (often multiple times!), sports games and the latest big FPS, while Steam seems to be a neat cross-section of most genres.

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 4, 2011

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Stelas posted:

The kind of people really excited about D4 are the kind of people who will order it online from Nippon-Ichi's own store where they get free bonus shinies, not the kind of guy who walks off the street to get it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

TaurusOxford posted:

So you want the Uncharted series to look graphically ugly and instead of being realistic you want Drake to have a dog that rips guy's balls off and takes down helicopters?

Why are you even playing the games?

Dead To Rights: Retribution was way more fun than it had any right to be. I'd be okay with some things about it making its way to other games.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Yodzilla posted:

Dead To Rights: Retribution was way more fun than it had any right to be. I'd be okay with some things about it making its way to other games.

Yeah except for the sniper alley in the sewer level I had a lot of fun playing through it.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
The upside to the lousy job retail stores do stocking RPGs is that Atlus and Nippon Ichi are two of the better companies for PSN support.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Nail Rat posted:

What the gently caress are you talking about? I buy all my games. Always said "no thanks, I'll buy it" when friends offered to share their account with me for a game.

I've shared a few with friends but I didn't think they were entitled and nor did they. And I don't feel bad about it with the retarded number I buy and the small number they ever actually played, so you can gently caress off Flayer.

Don't have any idea where the gently caress you're coming from here or how you think you have any loving idea what I've bought.

Jesus, having a bad day?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
GAMESHARING IS SERIOUS BUSINESS

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Policenaut posted:

While it's kind of a downer that the account permission number is changing, it is a good thing that Sony finally implemented a way to manage system activations from a website. My main account only has one left after all my friends' original PS3s died over the past 6 odd years and I've been terrified of the idea that this one might go too and Sony wouldn't clean the slate over the phone or whatever.

What website?

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I feel bad for the big spenders who have spent almost twice as much as me in our $1k+ gameshare.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

BlindNinja posted:

I feel bad for the big spenders who have spent almost twice as much as me in our $1k+ gameshare.

Why? Everything bought before the cutoff is still good on the 5 systems.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows

jabro posted:

Why? Everything bought before the cutoff is still good on the 5 systems.

Yeah, I figured that. Only because a couple people spent more, and I won't be able to catch up in two weeks.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

jabro posted:

What website?

They don't have one up yet, but the news reports are saying that they're going to launch a site where the activations can be managed.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

jabro posted:

What website?

It isn't up yet but in the press release they said they're gonna implement a website that'll make it easy to activate and deactivate accounts.

e:f;b.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I wonder why they chose now to change it from 5 to 2?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I always thought they meant for the shares to be used for people who have multiple PS3s in their house. Who has 5? I'm surprised it took this long.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

I wonder why they chose now to change it from 5 to 2?

Well, it's still a fairly recent thing where they've been releasing full PS3 games on a pretty much a weekly basis and while they probably don't see that much of a problem having $10-15 split five ways, $40-60 might just be much harder for them to stand by and take.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

axleblaze posted:

Well, it's still a fairly recent thing where they've been releasing full PS3 games on a pretty much a weekly basis and while they probably don't see that much of a problem having $10-15 split five ways, $40-60 might just be much harder for them to stand by and take.

Now they're just not going to sell those full games at all, though. Plus they've always had the ability to limit something to one account only (Every 24 hours, but still.)

A few game developers have even said that PSN sharing probably boosts sales for a lot of things.

There must be a specific reason for it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
The change also might have something to do with the Vita and it's ability to play PS3 games. They might have tolerated it with PS3 but with the Vita it could be they want to nip it in the bud before it comes out. I'm obviously just guessing here though. I do secretly hope that they fold on this like they did when they tried to reduce it down to three, but I"m not holding my breathe.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, gamesharing was cool and all, but I'm really surprised it lasted this long. And yeah, with the PS3 games going up and the Vita's support, this all makes sense to me.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Maybe the drop in sales/revenue will inspire better prices/sales on PSN.

(It won't.)

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

jabro posted:

I always thought they meant for the shares to be used for people who have multiple PS3s in their house. Who has 5?

Ted Price

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

axleblaze posted:

If this is true, I hope it means we'll eventually get digital releases the same day as retail. I'd be all for it.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Krad posted:

If this is true, I hope it means we'll eventually get digital releases the same day as retail. I'd be all for it.

They did this with Mass Effect 2, didn't they? I know that it's a little different considering how long the game was out on other platforms first, but anyone know how well the PSN download did versus the disc version?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Policenaut posted:

it is a good thing that Sony finally implemented a way to manage system activations from a website.

They did?! How? I'm in the same boat and would like to deactivate a buncha PS3's I don't have access to.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ChetReckless posted:

They did this with Mass Effect 2, didn't they? I know that it's a little different considering how long the game was out on other platforms first, but anyone know how well the PSN download did versus the disc version?

I think the only u$60 game that got a digital release alongside retail was inFamous 2 in Europe then a week later in the USA. And even then I'm sure it only happened because they had given away inFamous 1 for free on the PSN a few weeks before because of the PSN downtime earlier this year.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

jabro posted:

I always thought they meant for the shares to be used for people who have multiple PS3s in their house. Who has 5? I'm surprised it took this long.

A bunch of people on neogaf are complaining and they have three!

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

So do most games come out on the PSN or do you have to buy everything in the store? It would be nice to just download stuff and continue to be a lazy gently caress

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

With the exception of inFamous2 I've never seen any full priced titles come out on the PSN/Xbox Live on release alongside their retail versions. Usually the digital versions come out a few months later.
I'd assume it has to do with publishers having some sort of deal with retailers or being scared of them not stocking their games anymore due to digital sales possibly making them sell less copies.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

GreenBuckanneer posted:

A bunch of people on neogaf are complaining and they have three!

It's GAF, they bitch about everything.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Shindragon posted:

It's GAF, they bitch about everything.

It's true. TBH the reason I like gaf is because if I don't post there and just lurk I see all these ignorant wrong things or idiocy that it just compels me to post, like someone trying to clean up GBATemp or something, a fruitless endeavor.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

A lovely thing about GAF is that the community manager from Naughty Dog is posting there full time, trying to make them happy about Uncharted 3. What a waste.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

For those of us who haven't played Uncharted 3 yet, can anyone tell me what people are mostly complaining about? I want to avoid the regular topic out of fear of spoilers. I don't remember the reaction to the game being this split for Uncharted 2.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Jimbot posted:

For those of us who haven't played Uncharted 3 yet, can anyone tell me what people are mostly complaining about? I want to avoid the regular topic out of fear of spoilers. I don't remember the reaction to the game being this split for Uncharted 2.

The aiming is different, and the encounter design sucks.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Jimbot posted:

You have to remember that Unchartered 2 is probably considered one of the best games ever made. There is no way a sequel could not to be like this.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I rented LA Noire, and was wondering if they fixed that whole making PS3s overheat and die thing?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

RandolphCarter posted:

I rented LA Noire, and was wondering if they fixed that whole making PS3s overheat and die thing?

I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a problem with the game, just that some people reported on the internet that their systems (both Xbox and Ps3) were overheating.

I've played through the whole of LA Noire without my Ps3 yellow lighting at all, so I think it was just coincidental. Having said that my Ps3 did yellow light after Alice: Madness Returns :iiam:

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
UC3 rules. Haters gonnnnnn hate.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

RandolphCarter posted:

No, but it will stress the processors and fans very well.

The only thing that overheats and dies is the underground Japanese hospital. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

About a week ago I posted about how much I hated Demon's Souls, etc. etc. Beat it tonight and I'm buying Dark Souls tomorrow.

• Locked thread