Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Facepalm Ranger posted:

These all seems like legit reasons why the game isn't good. Why did it get such good reviews?? :psyduck:

I played the PS+ freebie version, so maybe I'm a bit more forgiving but--

I thought it was actually pretty fun when you focused mostly on juggling enemies with your tonic/plasmid attacks and use the guns as a supplement to them. However, that requires you to "build your character" a very specific way as you play when you find upgrades in the game. If you don't know to do that ahead of time, it'll limit your ability to use tonics and suck out a lot of fun. (Also, the aforementioned boss fights were terrible--especially the last one with the horrible "protection" mechanic. Honestly, that last section could have been a blast if you didn't have to worry about guarding something's health bar. That didn't happen anywhere else in the game).

The story was alright, as long as you didn't think about it too hard. I mean, I do think the game is crazy overrated, but I see get a lot of bile I also don't think it deserves.

On an unrelated note:

I'm about to start up an LP of Killzone in the LP subforum and was hoping to gather some data and quotes on opinions of the series in question. This thread has been a bastion of excellent advice for PS3 games for me for a while now, so I thought it'd be a solid place to get feedback. So if anyone is interested in helping out:

What are your opinions on the Killzone trilogy? Is it worth playing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
What the gently caress? When did that come out?

I never played Killzone 1. Killzone 2 was pretty forgettable, muddy, and shooting things didn't feel good. Killzone 3 was a solid game overall and more polished, but still muddy.

teen phone cutie fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Apr 16, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I didn't know that existed. I think I should buy that as I never played the first two Killzone games and I played the third once years ago on a friends PS3.

I really do like a bit of the aesthetic, even if I remember Killzone 3 being sort of disappointing.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Grump posted:

What the gently caress? When did that come out?

Oct. 24th, 2012, I believe.

The first Killzone was redone in HD and runs a lot better than it did on the PS2. They also fixed a bunch of bugs for it. Apparently the textures for the first Killzone were made at twice the required size for the PS2 then scaled down, but for the PS3 they were able to use the full originals. It's a nice looking PS2 game (when standing still--some of the animations are awkward).

That said, it's still pretty clunky compared to the later games, but it's a lot more playable now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Killzone 1 sucks. Even if they did fix many of the technical things in it, it just wasn't a very good game at all. The levels feel empty and the combat is boring. I remember it being hyped up to be a Halo Killer and it was far from it.

Killzone 2 was good for its multiplayer, but the controls are pretty lovely. I think it says a lot that they fixed the controls for KZ 3 and Shadow Fall. I thought that KZ 2 had the best campaign though. It would be my favorite if the controls weren't so bad.

Killzone 3 was average to mediocre. However, it was fun to see Malcolm McDowell and Ray Winstone ham it up as Helghan villains. I thought it had a pretty cool final level as well.

Ultimately, I think the games are pretty drat average. The multiplayer is kind of good, but they have always been marred by dumb design decisions.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Ever since I played Killzone 2, I always have to find out how the controls are, like "weighted" a la killzone 2 before I can fully commit to buying the latest release.

Everything else is fine for me, a bit unique doing things slightly different than the average fps. I never finished KZ1 on ps2, it sucked.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no

Drunk Badger posted:

I'm looking at grabbing a copy of MLB The Show, is the latest one worth the price compared to grabbing a dirt-cheap 1-2 year old copy?

Unless you need up to date rosters or online play just go for an old one. I went from 10 to 13 so I can't speak much to the quality of 12. That said, all the versions I've ever owned have at least been fun. I'd say grab a cheap copy if you're just looking to play a bit of baseball.

The only major change I know of in 14 is the ability to transfer saves into future versions of The Show. (Which, admittedly, is a killer feature. Starting a new Road to the Show character every year stinks.) If you're planning on buying 15 or a PS4 at some point, 14 might be worth the extra cash. You might want to research this feature a bit more, though. I have no idea if a save can skip a year. (i.e. putting your 14 save into The Show 16.)

There's a Show 14 thread over in SAS. I'm sure the folks over there have more detailed info: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3581518

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

blackguy32 posted:

Killzone 1 sucks. Even if they did fix many of the technical things in it, it just wasn't a very good game at all. The levels feel empty and the combat is boring. I remember it being hyped up to be a Halo Killer and it was far from it.

Killzone 2 was good for its multiplayer, but the controls are pretty lovely. I think it says a lot that they fixed the controls for KZ 3 and Shadow Fall. I thought that KZ 2 had the best campaign though. It would be my favorite if the controls weren't so bad.

Killzone 3 was average to mediocre. However, it was fun to see Malcolm McDowell and Ray Winstone ham it up as Helghan villains. I thought it had a pretty cool final level as well.

Ultimately, I think the games are pretty drat average. The multiplayer is kind of good, but they have always been marred by dumb design decisions.

I have to agree with all of these. The Killzone games tend to look great and have potentially interesting universes which just don't pan out where it matters, the gameplay.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

blackguy32 posted:

Scyron posted:

I never finished KZ1 on ps2, it sucked.

I really liked KZ1. I didn't play a lot of PS2 FPS games. The ones that stick out to me were the Star Wars: Battlefront games, Timesplitters: Future Perfect, Killzone, MoH: Frontline, and Black. Out of those, the Battlefront titles and Timesplitters are kind of in their own league. Black was super-boring poop. MoH was fun, but I remember it being kind of arcade-y and having a more demanding pace than I would have liked. But KZ nicely scratched an itch for me, being less arcade-y than Frontline or TS and far more interesting than Black. I remember being really impressed that they did so well in communicating the heft and recoil of the weapons.

Now I want a new Battlefront game, though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Best thing about Killzone 1 was hour-long TDM splitscreen botmatches on Beachhead. Beachhead is the BEST map.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Best thing about Killzone 1 was hour-long TDM splitscreen botmatches on Beachhead. Beachhead is the BEST map.

Oh my god, yes. I loved that map. I used to rent the game pretty much exclusively to play that game against bots and friends.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

I loved the original Timesplitters because of the level editor. It was basic, but at the time there was nothing like it. Four player couch co op, bots, and your own levels. Good times...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

bagina posted:

I loved the original Timesplitters because of the level editor. It was basic, but at the time there was nothing like it. Four player couch co op, bots, and your own levels. Good times...

Timesplitters 2 had the level creator as well, and I'd wager they probably improved on the original's. I had good times sending friends through my heinous teleport mazes :unsmigghh:.

butt implants
Oct 16, 2004

i'm gay
I want to buy a console for GTA5. PS3 looks to be the better choice because it seems to have better exclusives (Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War) and because of the free online option (don't care to play online with friends, really). Is this the right choice? If so, should I go for the Last of Us bundle, or get it used?

Also, any other games I should take a look at besides the one in the OP?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I wouldn't be surprised to see GTA5 on PC and next gen before long, but if you can't wait I'd probably go with the Last of Us bundle unless buying used is a great deal cheaper.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Timesplitters 2 had the level creator as well, and I'd wager they probably improved on the original's. I had good times sending friends through my heinous teleport mazes :unsmigghh:.

I remember Timesplitters 3 having the level creator too, and you could populate it with enemies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Manatee Cannon posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see GTA5 on PC and next gen before long, but if you can't wait I'd probably go with the Last of Us bundle unless buying used is a great deal cheaper.

Yeah but buying a PS3 is still a good idea because there are dozens of amazing games for it. Like if someone never owned a PS2 and wanted to play FFX I wouldn't say "ah just buy a PS3 and get the remaster" because there are so many good PS2 games. :shrug:

And yeah I would get the Last of Us bundle, don't buy a used PS3 because while they're not super notoriously faulty certain models do have a tendency for the blu-ray laser to go out of alignment and stop reading discs which can be a pain to fix.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

People have been saying that GTAV on PC is just around the corner since before the game came out.

Technical issues aside the South Park game is pretty fun. Although it is kind of weird that they made this elaborate combat system and 90% of the time you don't need to do anything special to win battles but that other 10% they really require you to use all the systems.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

unterdude posted:

I want to buy a console for GTA5. PS3 looks to be the better choice because it seems to have better exclusives (Last of Us, Uncharted, God of War) and because of the free online option (don't care to play online with friends, really). Is this the right choice? If so, should I go for the Last of Us bundle, or get it used?

Yeah, go for it. Although online is free, I'm sure everyone here would recommend PS+ just for the sheer amount of value it provides. You can even add Vita and PS4 games to your account without owning the system, so if you ever get one in the future then you'll already have a good number of games for them.

The PS3 exclusives I'd recommend are:

Demon's Souls
God of War III
Gran Turismo 6
inFamous 2
LittleBigPlanet 2
Ratchet & Clank: A Crack in Time
The Last of Us
Uncharted 2
Valkyria Chronicles
WipEout HD Fury
Yakuza 4

There are some great PS2 HD remasters which are worth playing, especially since they provide great value for money.

Devil May Cry
Final Fantasy X
God of War
ICO & Shadow of the Colossus
Kingdom Hearts
Metal Gear Solid (Play these before MGS4)
Ratchet & Clank

Some small downloadable games:

Double Dragon Neon
echochrome
Guacamelee!
flOw, Flower, and Journey
Sound Shapes
Spelunky
Thomas Was Alone
Tokyo Jungle

And finally some multiplatform games:

Batman Arkham series
Dark Souls I & II
Devil May Cry 4
Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Red Dead Redemption
Sleeping Dogs
Sonic Generations
Vanquish

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is a really great downloadable title, if you're into that sort of thing.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

unterdude posted:

How far behind are you in the PS3/360 era of gaming? There's a lot of good games if you haven't played anything even on PC.

Also, I'm pretty confident GTAV will end up on PC eventually, but who knows when.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Yeah, if you haven't played anything I'd recommend a PS3 well ahead of a PS4 right now, there's a massive library of great games that's going to come much cheaper. You can get a PS3 and something like 10 high-quality games for the price of a PS4 alone right now.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

I picked up a gtav ps3 back in like oct or nov and it's been great. Originally I was mostly just getting it for that and the last of us but there really are a ton of good games that can be had for cheap these days. I'll probably pick up a ps4 at the end of the year or next year but I'm currently not in any rush because I have a ton of poo poo to play on the ps3 and new games come every month with ps+.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm actually really excited to play the Castle of Illusion remake. A friend of mine bought it and thought it was too short for the price, but free is okay too.

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

Anyone grab Persona 4? I'm curious as to how it performs, or if there are any glitches etc. Persona 3 FES launched with a ton of bugs as a PS2 Classic, though most were eventually fixed. Just want to know if Persona 4 is plagued with the same kind of thing before buying it.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

How can you list great PS3 exclusives and miss two of the best ever: Uncharted 2, greatest setpiece Indiana Jones ever, and Dragon's Crown, grindiest boobiest beatemup dungeoncrawl.

Since I am an idiot who loves TMNT things I figuered I'd pick up TMNT Out of the Shadows when it finally came out for PS3. Game froze like fifteen loving minutes in; what the gently caress were they working on for a year? Game's overally pretty average, like they took the Batman fight/counter system but dragged it in molasses. Counter timing is weird as gently caress and generally everything about navigation in main mode is unclear and wonky. I'll probably just keep it as a fun multiplayer thing, even if I already have DD Neon.

madmac
Jun 22, 2010
So I picked up the Sly Cooper collection a while ago, having never played any of the series on PS2, and it's been an interesting experience. I gave up on Sly Cooper 1 after about two hours, it felt like too much of an old school platformer to click with me and the controls and platforms just felt kinda janky in places.

Moved on to the Second Game, and it was a huge improvement. It got a bit wearying by the end, but I enjoyed it a lot, and was really glad I had decided to get the collection. Was excited enough to move on to 3, and man, did this game kill the franchise or something? I love the opening segment and it has some good bits, but I'm on the Pirate Islands now and it feels like fricken everything is just another minigame. I'm starting to rethink even trying to finish this one it's begining to grate so much.

So I guess I'm asking if it's worth riding out the third game and also if Thieves in Time is worth getting/playing at this point, or if I should just be happy with having played the apparently one good game in the series?

quote:

How can you list great PS3 exclusives and miss two of the best ever: Uncharted 2, greatest setpiece Indiana Jones ever, and Dragon's Crown, grindiest boobiest beatemup dungeoncrawl.

Yeah, Dragon's Crown is fantastic and something you literally can't get from another game this generation.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

madmac posted:

So I picked up the Sly Cooper collection a while ago, having never played any of the series on PS2, and it's been an interesting experience. I gave up on Sly Cooper 1 after about two hours, it felt like too much of an old school platformer to click with me and the controls and platforms just felt kinda janky in places.

Moved on to the Second Game, and it was a huge improvement. It got a bit wearying by the end, but I enjoyed it a lot, and was really glad I had decided to get the collection. Was excited enough to move on to 3, and man, did this game kill the franchise or something? I love the opening segment and it has some good bits, but I'm on the Pirate Islands now and it feels like fricken everything is just another minigame. I'm starting to rethink even trying to finish this one it's begining to grate so much.

So I guess I'm asking if it's worth riding out the third game and also if Thieves in Time is worth getting/playing at this point, or if I should just be happy with having played the apparently one good game in the series?
lol couldn't you have posted this yesterday? I just bought that last night along with the ratchet and clank collection (and a $20 copy of AC4). Oh well it was only $15 so I'm sure I'll get my money's worth at least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I think the pirate area in Sly 3 is like very close to if not the last hub world in that game. It's been awhile. Anyway I played Thieves in Time on Vita and it felt like they really dialed back on the mini-game poo poo if you didn't like that aspect of 3. I think it still has a couple annoying ones but at least it's not designed around gimmicks.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

MinibarMatchman posted:

Dragon's Crown is also a significantly better game now than it was at release. They've aggressively patched and balanced it since launch, added a bunch of useful features and even new difficulty settings and an endless dungeon 'endgame' mode.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They also added literally four new independent features to try and deal with the problem of your character being lost behind enemies and explosions, but imo it's still not enough; it's a fundamental problem that they never should have released the game with.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Samurai Sanders posted:

They also added literally four new independent features to try and deal with the problem of your character being lost behind enemies and explosions, but imo it's still not enough; it's a fundamental problem that they never should have released the game with.

It really depends on the classes in play and how many players there are. Four magic users is always going to be an incredible clusterfuck because the spells are just so drat spectacular. Two players using non-magic classes? No problems.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Neo Rasa posted:

Keep an eye on the PSN, the digital version gets very cheap now and then. If you've had PS+ for a while you might be able to download it right away as it was one of the free games a while back.

Vanquish is a weird game, it wasn't particularly under-printed or anything like that but people who like it reaaalllly like it so no one ever sells it. Despite it's age it's still like $40 on Amazon and such. But if you actually find it in a GameStop/other retailer it will be like $10.

I think it's just $40 for new copies on Amazon because it's old and they aren't still pressing discs of it. Used it's under $15. It's probably true people tend to hold onto it though. I know my copy isn't going anywhere. Best 3rd person shooter of last gen by far.

Edit: Lol all it takes is one drat video posted and I'm gonna need to play through Vanquish again.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Apr 16, 2014

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

NESguerilla posted:

Edit: Lol all it takes is one drat video posted and I'm gonna need to play through Vanquish again.

Infinite Space is grindy but I didn't mind. Wonderful 101 IS kind of esoteric to pick up for stupid reasons but I got over it. I've played every Platinum game and really thought it over. That's it, those are the only things wrong with all of their games combined. Probably the highest quality ratio of any developer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I was personally mixed on Metal Gear Rising but most other people seemed to love it. Bayonetta and Vanquish are in my Pantheon of greatest games of all time though. I can't see myself ever getting sick of either of them.

I still need to play Infinite Space and Wonderful 101. Just realized I can play IS on my 3DS I'll have to pick that up. I know it's not an action game but it always looked cool. I forgot Platinum even made that.

E: Oh my, Infinite Space is pretty pricey now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Apr 16, 2014

Pornographic Memory
Dec 17, 2008
Are there any good air combat games on the PS3? I heard Ace Combat: Assault Horizon had a lovely "dogfight" system and was packed with CoD-style "OORAH" and set in the big stupid real world so I've stayed away, but is there anything at all comparable to, say, the PS2 Ace Combats? If they put those out as PS2 classics money would come flying out of my wallet so fast it isn't funny but I guess Namco doesn't feel like making mad green.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

wish i still had my ps1 air combat disk

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.
So, Arc Systemworks are teasing a new BloodRayne game. (borderline :nws: due to boobs, although considering that it's BloodRayne that shouldn't be too much of a surprise)

Hopefully it's a 2D sidescroller in a similar style to Hard Corps Uprising, that was pretty drat good.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Delusibeta posted:

So, Arc Systemworks are teasing a new BloodRayne game. (borderline :nws: due to boobs, although considering that it's BloodRayne that shouldn't be too much of a surprise)

Hopefully it's a 2D sidescroller in a similar style to Hard Corps Uprising, that was pretty drat good.

Yeah, this has potential to be pretty rad. The Guilty Gear guys made a genuinely solid Contra game, and the last Bloodrayne game was by Wayforward's A-Team, before they broke off to form Yacht Club.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hopefully it's better than the last Bloodrayne 2D game but still looks as good. Would also be nice if it were Vita crossbuy.

• Locked thread