Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I very nearly turned dragons crown off immediately after starting it based solely on how the women are drawn, but I was bored and decided to stick it out and I am very glad I did. Its kind of amazing, I'm having a ton of fun with it.
I really wish the women weren't drawn the way they are though, makes me embarrassed to play it at times. Can't stand games that do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

cubicle gangster posted:

I very nearly turned dragons crown off immediately after starting it based solely on how the women are drawn, but I was bored and decided to stick it out and I am very glad I did. Its kind of amazing, I'm having a ton of fun with it.
I really wish the women weren't drawn the way they are though, makes me embarrassed to play it at times. Can't stand games that do this

If you can't stand games that do this, how are you able to play this one?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Because its not that bad outside of a couple screens and its a really good game.

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
I've sunk almost 40 hours into it since we got it on PS+. Game rocks and I can't imagine not playing it because morals.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BlindNinja posted:

I've sunk almost 40 hours into it since we got it on PS+. Game rocks and I can't imagine not playing it because morals.
I care about that stuff quite a bit, but for me, just having female characters in a position of agency in the game (i.e. a player character, not an assistant or whatever) is enough. It's already more than I expect from the game biz.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

BlindNinja posted:

its not a morals thing, its just immature and immediately turns me off. 95% of the time if every woman has tits that are always out and take up half the screen, wobbling constantly I don't like the story or the way it plays either.
its usually a pretty clear correlation between that and my tastes in the rest of it too.

im 6h in and it just opened up a bit more to multiple runs on one adventure, its great. Need to play it online.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
For me, it's another form of art style that embarrasses me as I play it. Then I realized the hyper muscled males are just as dumb looking as the big boobed skinny females and it's just a dumb art style that should've died in the 80s. It's hip to think everything is sexist or whatever though, so that's easier for people to say today. Still better than anime though. The game is fun, I just wish it wasn't so embarrassing to play (on a personal level, nobody sees me play games).

BlindNinja
Sep 2, 2004

lurking in the shadows
It's so ludicrous to me I just laugh at it. Mermaid with a full-fledged rear and tail starting below it? Juvenile, but I'm just mashing X to get to the killing fields.

Regarding the game itself, I'm really surprised there's no mic support.

BlindNinja fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Aug 18, 2014

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Thinking about grabbing Mass Effect Trilogy for PS3... is there any reason not to get it used? Are there any one time use codes or is everything on the disc?

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
They're one time use codes. Sorry.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Pirate Warriors 2 was a great purchase. If you like Musou games you should get it. There's tons to do.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm starting Kingdom Hearts HD tonight. I'd read some recommendations here about which skill to select and which to drop, but I can't find them anymore. Anyone have any opinion on this?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...! posted:

I'm starting Kingdom Hearts HD tonight. I'd read some recommendations here about which skill to select and which to drop, but I can't find them anymore. Anyone have any opinion on this?

The only thing really worth noting is that starting with Magic is the hardest of the three but it gives you an extra point of magic which is the only thing in the game which you can't compensate for otherwise, so it's mechanically the best.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I'm not sure if anyone can answer this but me and a friend have a share account on which we have Dynasty Warriors 8. My friend expressed interest in getting Xtreme Legends. We haven't played through the full normal campaign yet in DW8 and it looks like you can play those mission in XL but everything I've seen online seems to say you need the disc to do this. Do you actually need a DW8 disc to play the levels in XL or will it be able to sense I own the original on my actual PS3 hard drive?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

...! posted:

My opinion: choose the shield and give up the sword. Yeah, staff gives you more MP but MP recharges fast. Shield gives you more item slots and key abilities earlier (You NEED Second Chance and Block. NEED. You don't get them until the end of the game if you don't choose the shield). It will feel like "hard mode" especially if you pick night mode (as you should) because your strength will be poo poo early game but you'll die a lot less because you'll have more healing and you won't take as much damage.

You can easily max your strength later either way.

Dross fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Aug 19, 2014

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I'm finally starting Heavy Rain - should I play it in English or French?

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
The game is set in an American town, but the English VA is... Not Great. I liked it much better in French.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I'm about eight hours into Kingdom Hearts and I absolutely cannot understand why people love this game. It is obnoxious as hell. Your party members are completely worthless in battle. Donald always manages to get killed within seconds. The camera is frustratingly bad. The gummi ship controls are nearly impossible for me to use since I can't invert them, and they're way too sensitive; a light tap on the thumbstick sends me rocketing across the screen.

But the thing that is most frustrating (and will cause me to quit the game altogether soon if it doesn't ease up) is that it constantly spawns enemies on top of me, even in towns. This is extremely annoying when I'm just trying to get somewhere and have to stop to fight every few seconds. I started just running past the enemies but I'm hitting spots where it won't even let me do that. I went back to Wonderland for something and had to fight two longass fights with jillions of enemies each before it would let me leave.

How is this fun?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

...! posted:

I'm about eight hours into Kingdom Hearts and I absolutely cannot understand why people love this game. It is obnoxious as hell. Your party members are completely worthless in battle. Donald always manages to get killed within seconds. The camera is frustratingly bad. The gummi ship controls are nearly impossible for me to use since I can't invert them, and they're way too sensitive; a light tap on the thumbstick sends me rocketing across the screen.

But the thing that is most frustrating (and will cause me to quit the game altogether soon if it doesn't ease up) is that it constantly spawns enemies on top of me, even in towns. This is extremely annoying when I'm just trying to get somewhere and have to stop to fight every few seconds. I started just running past the enemies but I'm hitting spots where it won't even let me do that. I went back to Wonderland for something and had to fight two longass fights with jillions of enemies each before it would let me leave.

How is this fun?
I think it was good for its time, that's about all I can say. I feel the same way about Shadow of the Colossus now too, especially in terms of controls and movement. Action games have come a long way since then in that respect.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Samurai Sanders posted:

I think it was good for its time, that's about all I can say. I feel the same way about Shadow of the Colossus now too, especially in terms of controls and movement. Action games have come a long way since then in that respect.

Pretty much. Majority of fans consider Birth By Sleep to have the best gameplay out of the series anyways.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

...! posted:

How is this fun?
It gets worse when Sora has to swim and fly in certain worlds. The plot will never make much sense, and the jumping physics won't become pleasant.
At least enjoy the variety. In KH2 most worlds are just hallways littered with enemies.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I feel the same way about Shadow of the Colossus now too, especially in terms of controls and movement.
PS2 or PS3 SotC? Ico aged much worse. The forced camera angles for certain jumps are poo poo, and the HD graphics make it obvious just how empty it is.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
They played it as children. The answer is always that they played it as children.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

quakster posted:

They played it as children. The answer is always that they played it as children.

Pretty much, though I recently played KH1 HD and still enjoyed it. It's old-school and took a while to re-learn, but even on the hardest difficulty I had a lot of fun. A lot of it is just the appeal of the whole concept, though.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

PS2 or PS3 SotC? Ico aged much worse. The forced camera angles for certain jumps are poo poo, and the HD graphics make it obvious just how empty it is.

I personally only played the PS3 version fairly recently and found the controls to be obnoxious. I got annoyed with the first colossus and uninstalled it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BreakAtmo posted:

Pretty much, though I recently played KH1 HD and still enjoyed it. It's old-school and took a while to re-learn, but even on the hardest difficulty I had a lot of fun. A lot of it is just the appeal of the whole concept, though.
A concept that they seem to have mostly abandoned, anyway. What was the problem with going around in Disneyland kicking everyone's asses, anyway? Why did it have to turn into...whatever the hell it is now?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

A concept that they seem to have mostly abandoned, anyway. What was the problem with going around in Disneyland kicking everyone's asses, anyway? Why did it have to turn into...whatever the hell it is now?

I actually haven't played anything other than KH1&2 to this day. Still gotta do CoM and 358/2 Days, and then BBS and Coded as well as KH3D if that ever leaves the 3DS in any fashion.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

...! posted:

How is this fun?

Nostalgia. Gameplay wise KH2 was much better, and KH: Birth By Sleep much, MUCH better. KH1 is not very good gameplay wise even within the standards of the same series.

KH1 though was still very heavily rooted in Disney and the series sort of drifts farther and farther from that as it goes along into it's own original, terrible story

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

There's gently caress-all you can do with Disney stuff without drastically altering it and they already used up all the good stuff.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I finished Heavy Rain. For some reason I still thought that the identity of the killer changed based on your choices, so I spent the bulk of the game feeling like it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for any of them to be the killer, and then when I found out I assumed I'd just gotten locked into a bad route.

The opening felt really tedious, especially compared to Fahrenheit, and by the time I'd finished it I'd already decided I wasn't going to waste any time running slowly and awkwardly walking around. The fight sequences were terrible, the challenges/motive/everything else related to the Origami Killer was kind of dumb, and pretty much every part of the plot involving Madison was creepy (I really wish I'd realized I could have left The Doc's house and not gone through that whole sequence. At least it gave (and I took) the option to skip the sex scene. I read the plot of the Taxidermist and yeah, no thanks.

I thought Fahrenheit was ridiculous but pretty alright, but Heavy Rain just made me feel like it should have been a lot better than it was. Beyond: Two Souls ended up being a bit disappointing, didn't it? I'll probably still pick it up when it hits $10, but Heavy Rain has definitely lowered my expectations for it.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Armor-Piercing posted:

I finished Heavy Rain. For some reason I still thought that the identity of the killer changed based on your choices, so I spent the bulk of the game feeling like it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense for any of them to be the killer, and then when I found out I assumed I'd just gotten locked into a bad route.

The opening felt really tedious, especially compared to Fahrenheit, and by the time I'd finished it I'd already decided I wasn't going to waste any time running slowly and awkwardly walking around. The fight sequences were terrible, the challenges/motive/everything else related to the Origami Killer was kind of dumb, and pretty much every part of the plot involving Madison was creepy (I really wish I'd realized I could have left The Doc's house and not gone through that whole sequence. At least it gave (and I took) the option to skip the sex scene. I read the plot of the Taxidermist and yeah, no thanks.

I thought Fahrenheit was ridiculous but pretty alright, but Heavy Rain just made me feel like it should have been a lot better than it was. Beyond: Two Souls ended up being a bit disappointing, didn't it? I'll probably still pick it up when it hits $10, but Heavy Rain has definitely lowered my expectations for it.

Beyond Two Souls is pretty much good for exactly the same reasons Heavy Rain is good, and terrible for the exact same reasons Heavy Rain is terrible.

Basically, David Cage needs to be an idea man, and his team needs to forcibly restrain him from writing or directing, because he is Bad At It.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself

quakster posted:

Yeah. It's an objectively bad series of games.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Grump posted:

The Little Mermaid level in KH2 is both the zenith, and the nadir, of video games, as a whole.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The first Kingdom Hearts game has aged poorly but each successive one has gotten better in the gameplay department, although they've gone to a more combat focus instead of the weird platforming/action hybrid the first game had. Some people consider that a loss but KH1's platforming was so lovely it's hard to care.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The lovely platforming was why I never finished the original KH, oh it was so bad. Actually now I think about it might have been that and the boss battle near the end against your childhood friend (whatever his name was) that made me give up. I don't even remember what was so bad about that boss now.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Sakurazuka posted:

The lovely platforming was why I never finished the original KH, oh it was so bad. Actually now I think about it might have been that and the boss battle near the end against your childhood friend (whatever his name was) that made me give up. I don't even remember what was so bad about that boss now.
Riku, and that's one of the hardest fights in the game and way harder than pretty much any of the boss fights previous to that.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Flash Sale is up:
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/08/22/flash-sale-more-than-20-games-10-each/

Anybody try that Wonderbook Dinosaur game? I got a Wonderbook for basically nothing earlier this year. The Harry Potter game seems like something my kids will enjoy more in a year or two. Everybody loves dinosaurs though, so i'm going to take a closer look at this one.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Grump posted:

KH: BBS has a really fun fighting system where you craft new moves and there are dozens of them per character and all the characters have their own unique style. I never understood why people were excited for the KH1 HD remake because yeah the gameplay today is pretty much apply Aeroga, mash X.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

I just finished Red Dead Redemption and started a game of Undead Nightmare, and once it reaches the last of the opening cutscenes Uncle is a cougar and Jack turns into Agibail's twin, and then also a cougar?

I'm not sure what to do because I can't hogtie Cougar Jack.

Edit: Also not sure it's the right Abigail model. Sorry for the bad phone pictures:

Armor-Piercing fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Aug 22, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Armor-Piercing posted:

I just finished Red Dead Redemption and started a game of Undead Nightmare, and once it reaches the last of the opening cutscenes Uncle is a cougar and Jack turns into Agibail's twin, and then also a cougar?

I'm not sure what to do because I can't hogtie Cougar Jack.

No John, YOU ARE THE DEMONS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Red Dead Redemption was one of the best games of the last generation and also had some of the best glitches. I'll never forget the moment I was watching a majestic sunset on a hill in Mexico and suddenly saw five or so mexicans fly across the sky in formation, flapping their arms like birds, their legs wrapped under their bellies.

So I shot 'em all down and watched them ragdoll to earth as god intended.

• Locked thread