Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Davincie posted:

way back i asked for rpg recomandations, someone recommended a tales game (xilia i think?). how does Tales of Symphonia Chronicles compare? cause that one is half off now.

Tales of Symphonia 1 is a good game if you accept that it has aged a hell of a lot. It was a Gamecube game and looks and feels like it.

The sequel that comes with it is total rear end though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Aphrodite posted:

I haven't played the sequel that's included but impressions haven't been good.

It's main redeeming feature was that it was a sequel, if it didn't have the trappings/setting of Tales of Symphonia I would've not liked it much at all, storywise. The first few hours are kind of painful (literally having flashbacks to things that happened moments ago, and to things that aren't interesting or wouldn't need a flashback at all), but I kind of enjoyed it a bit once the story got going and I was training monsters kind of like pokemon. Mostly I was just curious about all the former Symphonia cast members, and Tenebrae was kind of an interesting character. Wouldn't normally recommend it to anyone but fans of the original's story, but since it's packed in if you want to give it a try you gotta work through a lot of terrible stuff first to really give it a try gameplay-wise.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Symphonia is good and still holds up relatively well as long as you haven't played newer Tales games. If you've played any of the newer ones (Graces F, Xillia, even Abyss or the later PS2 ones) it is a little hard to go back to. The story is pretty entertaining in it, though.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I bought my PS3 last year so I know nothing of the exclusives: is the first inFamous worth €8? Or should I buy Vice City and San Andreas instead?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm not sure any of those three have aged particularly well but in direct comparison I'd go for the GTA games, or InFamous 2 if you're going to get any PS3 InFamous game (which I don't recommend, they're quite repetitive and pretty average on the whole).

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm not sure any of those three have aged particularly well but in direct comparison I'd go for the GTA games, or InFamous 2 if you're going to get any PS3 InFamous game (which I don't recommend, they're quite repetitive and pretty average on the whole).

On the other hand, I played the first one years after it came out and still haven't played the second one, but I thought the first one was pretty fun. Probably €8 fun. It was good enough for a playthrough on each side without getting bored, anyway, and I've never been a fan of GTA. So there is an opposite opinion for you.

reflex
Aug 9, 2009

I'd rather laugh with the mudders than cry with the saints. The mudders are much more fun. Hoorah.

Cable posted:

I bought my PS3 last year so I know nothing of the exclusives: is the first inFamous worth €8? Or should I buy Vice City and San Andreas instead?
You can probably get GTA5 for dirt cheap one the ps4 version comes out, and it is incredibly better than Vice City or San Andreas.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

reflex posted:

You can probably get GTA5 for dirt cheap one the ps4 version comes out, and it is incredibly better than Vice City or San Andreas.

Already beaten on my 360 (also I don't have a ps4 yet).

Another question, while we're at it: I loved Soul Calibur 2 and 3, and 5 is for sale on the EU Store... is it worth €5 for the SP content? SC3 had a huge amount of things to do, but I've read some criticism about that so I'm not sure. On the other hand, TTT2 is also on sale, but I've never been a huge Tekken fan. How's the SP content in this one?

Edit: Thanks for the comments about inFamous, guys. I think I'll pass, if only bc I've been Gaben's bitch for years and cannot tolerate spending €8 in a game I'm only mildly interested in.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cable posted:

Already beaten on my 360 (also I don't have a ps4 yet).

Another question, while we're at it: I loved Soul Calibur 2 and 3, and 5 is for sale on the EU Store... is it worth €5 for the SP content? SC3 had a huge amount of things to do, but I've read some criticism about that so I'm not sure. On the other hand, TTT2 is also on sale, but I've never been a huge Tekken fan. How's the SP content in this one?

Edit: Thanks for the comments about inFamous, guys. I think I'll pass, if only bc I've been Gaben's bitch for years and cannot tolerate spending €8 in a game I'm only mildly interested in.

As I recall, SC5's single player campaign is basically just Arcade Mode and a Story Mode where you play as one lame character.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

SP mode in Soul Calibur 4 was poo poo, and I've heard in 5 it's even worse, and you'll probably spend more time in the character creator.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Crappy Jack posted:

As I recall, SC5's single player campaign is basically just Arcade Mode and a Story Mode where you play as one lame character.

Four lame characters :eng101: (Well, two lame characters that each have two fighting styles).

SC5 confuses me because they had grand plans for story mode but the game was rushed so it could make it's...February release? Namco just makes some bad decisions.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

SC5 introduces two new protagonists, then does everything in its power to make you loathe them from the bottom of your heart. You're not going to get a lot of mileage out of it for single player only, but it's quite fun overall.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Going to cross post this from the vita thread because I dunno which it's more relevant to:

Stux posted:

Anyone having issues with transferring minecraft worlds? I grabbed my PS3 file and played it on my vita with no issues, re uploaded it to go back to the PS3 and it just sits at "converting data" for ages.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Cable posted:

Buy SoulCalibur 2 HD instead. Its online play barely works but it looks great and it's got all of the original version's content except for Japanese voices over options. There is no good single player content in 4 or 5. If you really hate yourself you can also try the free to play SC game, which is exclusively single player and amazingly bad.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Surlaw posted:

Buy SoulCalibur 2 HD instead. Its online play barely works but it looks great and it's got all of the original version's content except for Japanese voices over options. There is no good single player content in 4 or 5. If you really hate yourself you can also try the free to play SC game, which is exclusively single player and amazingly bad.
Among other things, the load times are insane, in a game where you are going to be doing tons of near identical short fights.

Also, I read an article a while ago about how you unlock new characters; you trade in pay items, and if you wanted to get Seung Mina and her weapon, you'd have to buy about $90 worth of pay items. It does indeed seem staggeringly bad in all respects for a f2p game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

A single player game that requires a constant internet connection and takes ages to load while it checks with some servers from the mid 90's wether you've bought any costumes or not.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It pauses to do an online check in for each piece of equipment you try to put on, so even if you just want to play dress up it will take an hour between all the loading. And it fails the check in and dumps you back to the title screen at least half the time it tries to do anything.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Haha, I figured they had patched the constant dumping to the title screen but I guess it's not worth it for a game that 99% of people will drop after 30 seconds.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Seriously though, over the last several games, Namco has worked so hard to kill and grind to dust any good feelings anyone has left about the Soul Calibur franchise.

barren_sky
May 6, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Seriously though, over the last several games, Namco has worked so hard to kill and grind to dust any good feelings anyone has left about the Soul Calibur franchise.

So true. Nobody is better at destroying beautiful things than Namco.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

barren_sky posted:

So true. Nobody is better at destroying beautiful things than Namco.
Still, it's odd that while they slowly murdered SC with a rusty spoon, the Tekken Franchise is still going fine.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I'm still playing mass effect 3 and holy poo poo the edi and joker romance subplot is the dumbest loving thing ever, how did any of this dialogue make it in the game.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
It's terrible. But at the very least you can shame them for being weirdos and kill that subplot before it has a chance to go anywhere.

Unless they messed that up in some DLC. I only played From Ashes and the Extended Cut, and after the Extended Cut I didn't want to buy anymore DLC that wasn't multiplayer.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blind Sally posted:

It's terrible. But at the very least you can shame them for being weirdos and kill that subplot before it has a chance to go anywhere.

Unless they messed that up in some DLC. I only played From Ashes and the Extended Cut, and after the Extended Cut I didn't want to buy anymore DLC that wasn't multiplayer.

Go buy Citadel. It's Shepard and Wrex's Kick-rear end Adventure and it's amazing :allears:.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

cubicle gangster posted:

I'm still playing mass effect 3 and holy poo poo the edi and joker romance subplot is the dumbest loving thing ever, how did any of this dialogue make it in the game.

WE BOTH LOVE EACH OTHER A LOT SHOULD WE gently caress??!!?!?!?

YES/NO

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
She's a robot and he's got bones made of glass. This is going to end so badly.

Blind Sally - I figured I could, but I absolutely had to follow this particular rabbit hole to see how deep it went.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

cubicle gangster posted:

Blind Sally - I figured I could, but I absolutely had to follow this particular rabbit hole to see how deep it went.
It's Bioware, all of their holes end in the clothed sex dimension.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hey. HEY! You only need to pay thirty euro to play as Seung-Mina in that single player lagfest. Can't you see, it's a bargain. Having room for as many as 80 items, completely free of charge is also good design, because 14 characters times 14 items each is only three times that. Continue Tickets are also a great addition, don't you miss all those times you spent real money to play against a random number generator in the Arcades of your youth?

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
I don't know what happened at Sony of Japan this month but they're making it rain with the PS+ freebies for PS3 this month. Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Disgaia 3, Rainbow Moon, Batman Arkham Origins, and Trails in the Sky Second Chapter (and if you had it last month you'd have First Chapter as well so hey there's the Trails in the Sky Duology for free for you). And here I was thinking getting Demon Souls, Crysis and Suikoden 1&2 for free was as good as it was going to get for PS+ over here.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
The freebie this month isn't Arkham Origins, it's Arkham Asylum. Origins is on sale though, something like $25 for the ultimate bundle.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Origins is a really weak game compared to Asylum and Cithy, though. I'd wait to see if it becomes the freebie in a few months, to be honest.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

SubponticatePoster posted:

The freebie this month isn't Arkham Origins, it's Arkham Asylum. Origins is on sale though, something like $25 for the ultimate bundle.

The keyword in his post is "Japan."

Polite Tim
Sep 3, 2007
'insert witty Family Guy/ Futurama/ Simpsons/ Little fucking Britian etc quote here'

My Lovely Horse posted:

SC5 introduces two new protagonists, then does everything in its power to make you loathe them from the bottom of your heart. You're not going to get a lot of mileage out of it for single player only, but it's quite fun overall.

From my experience it's pretty much just a multi player game. The single player campaign is bad even for a predominantly multi player focussed fighting game. The best feature though is the character randomiser in multiplayer matches because it then becomes a game of 'oh god what horrible nightmare am I going to be playing as oh good a clown in a nurses outfit with a big bushy beard'

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

...! posted:

The keyword in his post is "Japan."
:downs:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
OK, I am loving done with Dead Island. I enjoyed the game quite a bit at first but it kept gradually getting harder and it's at the point now where I die constantly to frustrating, unfair bullshit. No matter what I do, the game constantly drops hordes of ten to twelve zombies directly on top of me, and each individual zombie hits me for four times as much damage than they did at the beginning.

This is really frustrating because I really liked the game until it started doing this. Now I can't deal with the game at all and if I had known it would do this, I wouldn't have wasted so much time on it.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Dead Island... more like dead franchise.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

...! posted:

OK, I am loving done with Dead Island. I enjoyed the game quite a bit at first but it kept gradually getting harder and it's at the point now where I die constantly to frustrating, unfair bullshit. No matter what I do, the game constantly drops hordes of ten to twelve zombies directly on top of me, and each individual zombie hits me for four times as much damage than they did at the beginning.

This is really frustrating because I really liked the game until it started doing this. Now I can't deal with the game at all and if I had known it would do this, I wouldn't have wasted so much time on it.

I actually never finished or got far and was thinking of coming back to it. Now I don't think I will.

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

...! posted:

I know exactly what you mean. I was really quite enjoying myself until I inadvertently leveled up a little bit more than I should've done. Suddenly, boss-zombies everywhere, I'd get surrounded and killed near-instantly by hordes of eight or more of those really really fast rear end in a top hat zombies (can't remember what they were called. 'Infected' or something?) when rounding every corner, etc.. The only way I could survive was by using a glitch to duplicate all my best weapons (because items degraded far too quickly) - a glitch which the developers then went on to fix, no less - and keeping to the top of cars and rooftops. I do have the game on PC now, and I'm considering giving it another go, seeing as there's mods which improve all this stuff, apparently. For now though, screw that game. :colbert:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Dead Island is a weird game that just get worse and worse the longer it goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I still love that Dead Island released a GotY edition, despite the fact I don't think it was anyone's game of the year. That takes balls.

• Locked thread