Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

Cutter leaves very early and never comes back

He got a job being one of the dwarves in The Hobbit, which tells you how long ago that filmed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Guacamelee is about to make me throw a controller so I'm done with this game. It suddenly went from being very fun to utterly unfair and bullshit in both the combat and platforming aspects. I refuse to believe that anyone without the reflexes of a ninja can beat this game. Why do people recommend this game?

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

...! posted:

Guacamelee is about to make me throw a controller so I'm done with this game. It suddenly went from being very fun to utterly unfair and bullshit in both the combat and platforming aspects. I refuse to believe that anyone without the reflexes of a ninja can beat this game. Why do people recommend this game?

Why exactly do you have a problem with? After the introduction of at-will plane shifting the enemies can become a serious pain to fight and enjoyment drops, but I platinumed the game, so maybe I can help.

Szurumbur fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Dec 11, 2014

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

...! posted:

its not a very difficult game actually

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

...! posted:

I think the only truly insanely bullshit area is optional tbh

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

It's ridiculously generous about letting you retry if you fail a jump, there's practically no punishment and no wasted time. The optional Tree Tops zone is tough, the rest is fair.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
I think the area that broke me is "Temple of War" or something? It has a bullshit series of platforming sections where you have to string together wall jumps and phase shifts and uppercuts and other nonsense. It's always obvious what the game wants me to do but the level of dexterity required is unreal. It took me about thirty minutes to an hour to get through each of the first few segments. Then I hit a segment where (again) I know what the game wants me to do but am physically incapable of it. It's literally impossible for me to do what it wants.

I think those of you calling this game easy might have a higher than average ability to do these things and maybe you don't realize it. A quick googling shows that I am far from alone at quitting the game at this exact part and everyone quits it because of the same issue I'm having. It's this sudden spike of difficulty out of nowhere and it ruins the game. It goes from fun to frustrating in an instant.

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Just take your time and zone out. The angrier you are the worse you'll do. And don't try the optional areas.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

it's all about getting into a rhythm between jumping and shifting

fwiw i find the game easier on vita for whatever reason

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
My real life friend who sucks poo poo at games, has the platinum, so I know, you can do it ...! ! I mean, you actually actively go for platinums, wherein this friend of mine usually throws controllers down if they become to hard or frustrating, since to him games are only about simple enjoyable entertainment.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
There's wisdom in putting it down for awhile. I was stuck on one screen in tree tops for like 45 minutes straight, came back to it the next day and second time through I was totally in rhythm and breezed right through. Like all great action-y games it has a flow to it. Even if the vast majority of the game doesn't require it. When you're in it, you're unstoppable.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yup, the more frustrated you are with the game the worse you will do at it. Please note I have been punched for pointing this fact out at precisely the wrong moment though.

fit em all up in there
Oct 10, 2006

Violencia

Was thinking of picking up Fallout 3/New Vegas ultimate editions for a Christmas gift. Do the fallout games run like crap on PS3 ? I have heard bad things.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Dirt Taco Scuba posted:

Was thinking of picking up Fallout 3/New Vegas ultimate editions for a Christmas gift. Do the fallout games run like crap on PS3 ? I have heard bad things.

I think the thing with Bethesda games is that the save files will eventually bloat up until the game starts running worse and worse on PS3.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

OneDeadman posted:

I think the thing with Bethesda games is that the save files will eventually bloat up until the game starts running worse and worse on PS3.

Yeah, that's what happens.

I have FO3 GotY and New Vegas, though, and they run tolerably as long as you (or whoever you're buying it for) knows to:

* disable auto-save across the board
*make frequent manual saves across multiple save slots
* DO NOT HOARD

Seriously, don't hoard. My most bloated New Vegas save would freeze consistently in many spots throughout the desert and it made the game unplayable. A couple of years later, I fired it up on a whim and managed to fast-travel to my safehouse. I pared down my containers by about half and picked up the knee-high pile of plastic dinosaurs that I was storing in the bathroom and haven't had a serious problem since.

It will always stutter and occasionally freeze, though. It is a PS3 Fallout game.

E: I did have another serious problem but it was unrelated. Why the gently caress do my companions think it is cool to drink all my bottles of Nuka-Cola Quantum / Quartz?

titties fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 14, 2014

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

titties posted:

Yeah, that's what happens.

I have FO3 GotY and New Vegas, though, and they run tolerably as long as you (or whoever you're buying it for) knows to:

* disable auto-save across the board
*make frequent manual saves across multiple save slots
* DO NOT HOARD
I hoard in Skyrim to a degree but I put all my items into a chest or a container in my houses. I'll put swords and armor in one, ingredients in another and potions in yet another. The key thing is to not have things scattered loose about the world.

When you kill something and loot the body don't take anything if it serves no purpose. I've even ditched items on dead bodies so when the world resets it takes those items away along with the dead corpse.

The absolute worst thing to do is to just drop items out in the world because they will always be there forever and ever, Amen.

I also agree with the multiple saves. I periodically go in and delete saves after a fews sessions. Skyrim has points where it'll create an autosave even with it turned off. Once I finish a session and am in a safe place to park I'll go in and delete all of the auto saves the game created. The game still runs funky sometimes but not to the degree a lot of people complained about. My saves right now hover around 18meg and I've 100% the main game with a few odds n ends left to do on the DLC.

Speaking of DLC, I'd stay away from any DLC until after you have completed the main game. Bethesda has a bad habit of breaking poo poo when the DLC content kicks in on PS3.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Robnoxious posted:

I hoard in Skyrim to a degree but I put all my items into a chest or a container in my houses. I'll put swords and armor in one, ingredients in another and potions in yet another. The key thing is to not have things scattered loose about the world.

When you kill something and loot the body don't take anything if it serves no purpose. I've even ditched items on dead bodies so when the world resets it takes those items away along with the dead corpse.

The absolute worst thing to do is to just drop items out in the world because they will always be there forever and ever, Amen.

I didn't play a lot of Skyrim, but in New Vegas there are areas where the corpses don't despawn.

Sometimes there are bandits waiting to ambush you when you enter the strip north gate area. I have had a pile of corpses chilling there for a couple of years now.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
My regular fallout 3 save didn't start hard locking until I had beat it and added on broken steel.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Is "Valiant Hearts: The Great War" worth buying? It's on sale through today.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Yes, buy it.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
edit - nevermind dumb question. It says Week 2 of 4.

Szurumbur
Feb 17, 2011

...! posted:

I think the area that broke me is "Temple of War" or something? It has a bullshit series of platforming sections where you have to string together wall jumps and phase shifts and uppercuts and other nonsense. It's always obvious what the game wants me to do but the level of dexterity required is unreal. It took me about thirty minutes to an hour to get through each of the first few segments. Then I hit a segment where (again) I know what the game wants me to do but am physically incapable of it. It's literally impossible for me to do what it wants.

I think those of you calling this game easy might have a higher than average ability to do these things and maybe you don't realize it. A quick googling shows that I am far from alone at quitting the game at this exact part and everyone quits it because of the same issue I'm having. It's this sudden spike of difficulty out of nowhere and it ruins the game. It goes from fun to frustrating in an instant.

In general, I think the combat takes a nosedive in the latter half of the game, right about the introduction of Plane Shifting, so that's not a surprise, but still, it is very much doable. The problem is that there are no shortcuts, I don't think - you have to learn patterns and simply accept the fact that the game is sometimes being unfair with the enemies (I mean their ability to attack you from the other realm) and just take a break and try again later. I might be biased in the game's favour because I've obtained it through PS+, so I had no expectation as to what the price should give me.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://store.nisamerica.com/atelier-shallie-alchemists-of-the-dusk-sea-limited-edition

I didn't see this here yet, but there's an Atelier Shallie limited edition preorder going on. It's already down to between 50 and 75% left after the weekend.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
I finally decided to join the last console generation after mostly sitting it out except for a brief stint with a 360 that was only really used to play Shadow Complex and Castle Crashers. I'm looking for games to get once I work through the pile I have now and since the guy at GameStop couldn't grasp the concept of "console exclusive" when recommending things, I'm asking you guys.

Here's what I have right now:

Infamous Collection
Uncharted games
Red Dead Redemption
Dragon's Dogma Dark Arisen
Nier
MGS HD Collection
MGS 4
Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
LittleBigPlanet 1
The Last of Us
Fat Princess

I plan on getting God of War 3, Vanquish, Bayonetta, R&C: Crack in Time, and eventually maybe GTA V. I don't really do anime so games like Ni No Kuni and Catherine are right out. What essential console exclusives or great PSN games besides Journey am I missing?

e: I also grabbed 3 months of PS+ so I'm pretty amped about finally getting to play Prototype 2 with its hot garbage PC port :woop:

FadedReality fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Jan 1, 2015

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

I don't really do anime either but I very much enjoyed the two games you named, especially NnK.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Dross posted:

I don't really do anime either but I very much enjoyed the two games you named, especially NnK.

Plus it's like permanently on sale for $5 or something. I have it and really enjoyed it, though marks against it would be that the translation is pretty dire, and that it's a bit grindy in places when you need to level up.

Otherwise I find Burnout Paradise something I keep going back to. 90% of the music in it is terrible but it's one of the few PS3 games that lets you play your own mp3s instead so that's good.

If you like Red Dead Redemption make sure to get the Undead Nightmare pack, though play it afterwards if you can as it could be considered a bit spoilery.

Oh Saints Row 2 is probably worth a punt. There was a sale with all the PS3 Saints Row games in it but don't think that's still on. Sure it'll happen again though.

Edit: If you like R&C then maybe get the Jak and Daxter Trilogy?

shmee fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Jan 1, 2015

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Dross posted:

Yeah, with Catherine you have to more ask yourself if you like puzzle games over anything else. As anime, it tries but it still has some annoying bits. As a puzzle game however, it is god damned fantastic and one of the best block puzzle games there is.

In the same anime vein, Dragon's Crown is ultra embarrassing but at least to me it's the best arcade beat em up there is, so if you like that genre look into it.

I know you have LBP1, but just put it to the side and get LBP2. It's better in every way and in the end all LBP1 will offer you is a pretty fun campaign and some costumes.

Also, if you never played it on PS2, get Okami HD. That one isn't that Anime.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jan 1, 2015

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

axleblaze posted:

In the same anime vein, Dragon's Dogma is ultra embarrassing but at least to me it's the best arcade beat em up there is, so if you like that genre look into it.

You miiight be thinking of Dragon's Crown.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Yep, sorry, I was looking at his list and saw Dragon's Dogma and that stuck in my mind.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Resistance trilogy and Killzone trilogy, if you like sci-fi shooters.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Also Velocity and Velocity 2X are both really cool. Super Stardust HD is one of the earliest really good psn games and it is still a really good psn game. There's also all the Pixeljunk games (particularly Monsters and Shooter).

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Seconding Velocity. It's an incredible game.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Thanks for all the suggestions! I know LBP 2 is the superior one but I wanted to play some of the first to see if my wife enjoyed the co-op. I want to get a new copy of the GOTY LBP 2 as I assume the DLC pack in stuff is a voucher. Catherine, Dragon's Crown, and I guess even Bayonetta I'll probably have to play when my wife isn't around because they all seem incredibly awkward to be seen playing.

I really liked the first Jak & Daxter but the second one tried way too hard to get you to take it seriously and I couldn't hang. The main games I want to grab from the PS2 are the SMT games and maybe the Sly Cooper collection. I went and looked at how much potential game time I already have in my list and am really having to resist the urge to rebuy games I have on PC like Burnout and Saints Row 3 just so I can get trophies. video game problems :negative:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Oh yeah, drat, Digital Devil Saga I & 2 and Nocturne are now on PSN along with most of the Personas. Get those!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Get Way of the Samurai 3 & 4 for that Toshiro Mifune feel in two different samurai eras.
3D Dot Game Heroes for the original Zelda.
Katamari Forever for the best-of collection from the series. It has a few (very few) co-op levels.
Silent Hill: Downpour is a mess of glitches but it's the closest they've got to SH2.

Stay the gently caress away from anything by Level-5, no matter how pretty.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

SelenicMartian posted:

Stay the gently caress away from anything by Level-5, no matter how pretty.

Specifically, do not play White Knight Chronicles 1 or 2. I know I just said it, but it bears repeating: do not play White Knight Chronicles at all. Full stop. It's one of the shittiest JRPGs ever made and its online mode has been shut down, so it's not even really playable without a Game Genie or some other save editor.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Blind Sally posted:

Specifically, do not play White Knight Chronicles 1 or 2. I know I just said it, but it bears repeating: do not play White Knight Chronicles at all. Full stop. It's one of the shittiest JRPGs ever made and its online mode has been shut down, so it's not even really playable without a Game Genie or some other save editor.

Holy poo poo I just picked up the box for the first one in GameStop today, wondered if it was any good, and immediately forgot about it. I just beat The Last of Us and god drat. It didn't really do a whole lot of new things story or gameplay wise but it did them fantastically. I can't wait to come back to that one later.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

if you have anything else to play bayonetta on do it there instead. i suggest a wii u :greencube:

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Does Legend of Korra run well, or should I go for the PC version instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

...! posted:

Why do people recommend this game?

It's fun and has charm out the rear end.

• Locked thread