Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner

Sakurazuka posted:

Have you actually played it or is this some lol ff13 lol poo poo?

Lightning Returns is a third Valkyrie Profile game with the numbers filed off by the original VP developers.

I played it. It's bad. It could be because after 3 games and the insane clusterfuck of the FF13 plot it felt worse, but between the awful characters, overdramatic plot and muddy, ugly textures it was a chore to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cool, I don't agree but thank you for posting actual reasons instead of just lol

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hello thread. I'm wayyy behind on console gaming. The last time I regularly played was the ps2 era. Anyway, I just recently got a ps3 and figure it should provide some cheap entertainment for a while. I guess I'm mostly posting to ask what all RPGs there are for it? I'm aware of Dark Souls, Skyrim and the final fantasies. I'll probably get owned for this, but the game I bought with it was FF 13. I wasn't expecting anything good, just some nostalgia type feelings or whatever you want to call it, and I feel it was worth the 6 or so dollars I got it for used.

Anyway, I guess that's it for now. I did look in the op and say it listed some games, but it didn't have an rpg specific section that I saw. Also anything else I might need to know, feel free to give advice. Keep in mind I don't know poo poo about gaming past ps2. Also suggests for non rpg games are welcome too, if they are really interesting.

Persona 3 and 4 are available for download as PS2 Classics, if you missed them on PS2. They're of the dungeon-crawly ilk, no vast overworld to speak of, but the battle system is fun and they'll keep you busy for quite a while. P3 can get a bit grindy, but you already like RPGs so... The rest of the PS2 Shin Megami Tensei games are available as well. What I played of Nocturne is great, I need to go back and finish it some day.

Persona 5 is on the way and should be a good time.

Valkyria Chronicles was a PS3 exclusive until a recent Steam release. It's an anime ersatz-WWII turn-based tactics game with a great art style.

Nier is an action-RPG with a few flaws, but a wonderful plot and a GORGEOUS soundtrack.

More classics for download:
Suikoden, Suikoden II, Suikoden III
Stella Deus
Legend of Dragoon
Wild Arms, Wild Arms II
Vanguard Bandits
Vagrant Story
Parasite Eve
Breath of Fire IV
Threads of Fate
Front Mission 3
Alundra
Parasite Eve

Some more that others can talk more about :
Resonance of Fate
Ni no Kuni
Eternal Sonata
Disgaea series

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Don't forget the remastered Kingdom Hearts games, they both contain multiple games per disc.

I bought 1.5 HD and found it to be a joyless slog with unclear triggering of story events, but hey - it's an option.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Cloks posted:

Don't forget the remastered Kingdom Hearts games, they both contain multiple games per disc.

I bought 1.5 HD and found it to be a joyless slog with unclear triggering of story events, but hey - it's an option.

Kingdom Hearts I's combat feels like it was designed backwards, since it's pretty fun with all of the abilities and magic, but you start off with nothing but the ability to run, jump, and do a three-hit combo.

Even after playing the PS2 version, I still had to do several laps around entire Disney worlds to find which door triggers the next cutscene. It's bad in Deep Jungle when entering an area isn't enough, you need to enter a tent and then immediately leave, and following Donald and Goofy through Traverse Town pretty much requires you to go in the exact order chosen by the developers.

KH II.5 HD has the two best games in the series, and playing the games in I.5 will not make the plot any easier to understand.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hello thread. I'm wayyy behind on console gaming. The last time I regularly played was the ps2 era. Anyway, I just recently got a ps3 and figure it should provide some cheap entertainment for a while. I guess I'm mostly posting to ask what all RPGs there are for it? I'm aware of Dark Souls, Skyrim and the final fantasies. I'll probably get owned for this, but the game I bought with it was FF 13. I wasn't expecting anything good, just some nostalgia type feelings or whatever you want to call it, and I feel it was worth the 6 or so dollars I got it for used.

Anyway, I guess that's it for now. I did look in the op and say it listed some games, but it didn't have an rpg specific section that I saw. Also anything else I might need to know, feel free to give advice. Keep in mind I don't know poo poo about gaming past ps2. Also suggests for non rpg games are welcome too, if they are really interesting.

now u have a ps3 u shoudl pick up noted ps2 titles SMT nocturne and persona 4 and 3

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
hey guys, it's the guy who just now wound up getting a ps3 checking in again. Here are the games I have so far:

FF13
Skyrim
Dragon Age Inquisition
Dark Souls

I need help figuring out what to play first because I'm an indecisive dummy. I'm already playing FF13, and while I enjoy it as a FF game to chill to, it's not good enough to hold my attention on just playing it exclusively. I figure I should save Dark Souls since it's so hard and I'm still new to modernish gaming. FWIW I did play about 8 or 9 hours of Skyrim on an Xbox360 before, and I enjoyed it. Another thing to consider is I have a lovely old CRT Tv, so if one game is particularly bad about really small menu text than the other, I should probably hold off until I get a better one. I know when I played Skyrim it was on an even smaller CRT than I have now, so I'm guessing I'll be able to make do this time.

99 CENTS AMIGO
Jul 22, 2007
I would definitely try to grab Dragon Age: Origins and 2 while you're at it. I've played both of them in the past few months, and am doing Inquisition right now, and have enjoyed them all.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
Ni No Kuni is a good RPG with a lot of charm but a little hand-holdy since it was designed for children (it will remind you of a certain mechanic and hit you in the face with clues about it every single time it comes up), and I enjoyed both FF13 and 13-2. weren't amazing, but fun enough, and I didn't try to get all the trophies, so my soul wasn't drained

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Sleeping Dogs and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Another thing to consider is I have a lovely old CRT Tv
woah

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
All the late-game bosses in Dark Souls can go gently caress themselves. Gwyn is a cheap gently caress.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

3-4 parries and you're done with gwyn

you have been practicing your parrying, right? :ohdear:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
You need a shield and stamina enough to be able to take two or so of his hits though, or else it will be a lot harder.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Awesome! posted:

3-4 parries and you're done with gwyn

you have been practicing your parrying, right? :ohdear:

Lmao. Not even a little bit. It feels like it'll be closer to 5-6 with my +15 halbard. Should I use a different weapon?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Austrian mook posted:

Lmao. Not even a little bit. It feels like it'll be closer to 5-6 with my +15 halbard. Should I use a different weapon?
Ironically, he's weak to fire.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Samurai Sanders posted:

Ironically, he's weak to fire.

Like, pyromancy or fire weapons? Ive got a +4 furysword that might do the trick. Its tough because missing a parry basically means he'll just kill me. I dont even know if i can break out of his strong combo and his fast one generally comes out too quick for me to get thw parry off

E: One more thing, how in the gently caress am i supposed to heal? The environment doesn't trip him up much so my go to strategy is failing me. Other than that he's way to aggressive to heal properly.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

the best time to heal is right after you parry/counter. you will have just enough time. if you gently caress up and can't get back in control you're screwed i dont think you can really run away and heal

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Gwyn has lived in that room for like a hundred years or something so you'd better believe you can't run and hide from him in it. That fight will be over in about 20 seconds every time, one way or another.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
drat, guess id better get ready for a whole lot of running through the first flame area. This game is good at size and wonder but id kill just to be able to spawn right in front of a boss. I wonder how many hours of playtime ive spent running through areas like Anor Londo, Chasm of the Abyss, Klin of the first flame and New Londo ruins. Not even fighting anything, just running by everything and watching something on my laptop bored out of my mind.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

at least its an easy run back :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Another thing to consider is I have a lovely old CRT Tv, so if one game is particularly bad about really small menu text than the other, I should probably hold off until I get a better one. I know when I played Skyrim it was on an even smaller CRT than I have now, so I'm guessing I'll be able to make do this time.

The good thing about this is you can buy PS2/PS1 classics and they'll actually look ok! They look kind of poo poo on a large HDTV.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The good thing about this is you can buy PS2/PS1 classics and they'll actually look ok! They look kind of poo poo on a large HDTV.

I like that you have the option to smooth the image, which you can use in games like Silent Hill to make the dithering less noticeable, and turn it off for games like Castlevania Symphony of the Night to keep the sprite artwork looking crisp. They both look much better than the PS2 did with component cables.

The only problem with PS1 games on the PS3 is that you don't have the option for faster loading times or texture filtering like on the PS2. I'm sure they were left out because they can cause problems with a lot of games, like the music cutting out or the game just crashing. 2D games also look terrible with texture filtering turned on.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Alternatively, if you suck at parrying like I do, you can wait until he does his grabby move or kick and then get a hit in.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

I'm playing MGS4 (I know right, great time). It's great so far except for one thing; drat, every scene with Naomi hurts because the camera really likes getting good shots of her cleavage, which she seems to leave exposed at literally all times for no apparent reason other than Kojima. It doesn't really seem to fit the character and it also doesn't really seem to be a plot point or anything, it's just 100% there for titillation. It just kills the mood so bad in any supposedly serious scene!

It also seems particularly funny now that Kojima has made this only 100x with Quiet.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Kojima is a perv in like ten different ways.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I like boobs so that didn't really bother me

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Sakurazuka posted:

Do you like men's dicks and asses though? Kojima does.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yes

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
MGS4 is bad

A True Jar Jar Fan
Nov 3, 2003

Primadonna

Amppelix posted:

I'm playing MGS4 (I know right, great time). It's great so far except for one thing; drat, every scene with Naomi hurts because the camera really likes getting good shots of her cleavage, which she seems to leave exposed at literally all times for no apparent reason other than Kojima. It doesn't really seem to fit the character and it also doesn't really seem to be a plot point or anything, it's just 100% there for titillation. It just kills the mood so bad in any supposedly serious scene!

It also seems particularly funny now that Kojima has made this only 100x with Quiet.

The Beauty and Beast squad are dumber than the Naomi stuff. Quiet at least has a stupid (but kind of funny) explanation for being naked all the time.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I've been playing the MG games from the beginning back to back (MG and MG2 on the 360, MGS and MGS2 on the PS3 and I'm really stoked to see what kind of stupid poo poo Kojima has in store for Snek Eater.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Snake Eater is peak stupid poo poo in the good way. Then it starts sliding back downhill.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Surlaw posted:

The Beauty and Beast squad are dumber than the Naomi stuff. Quiet at least has a stupid (but kind of funny) explanation for being naked all the time.

I know they were the weakest boss fights in the series because i dont remember any of their personalities or backstories. I dont even remember what they look like, other than all being hot women.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

I do too, but I would like to keep them separate from other things I enjoy. Usually when you try to combine them with other things it just ends up being confused and not really enjoyable on any angle.

E: Like, every scene she's in I'm only thinking "Boy, this seems like a really inappropriate place to keep your shirt open to the navel". I guess it IS kind of silly that this of all things is what breaks my Metal Gear immersion.

Amppelix fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 11, 2015

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Boob-shot is virtually the first thing that happens in mgs5 as well. It's creepy and embarrassing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was just sad there wasn't a trophy for zooming in on the nurses boobs

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Alright, I've identified the Worst Thing about MGS4, and it's not boobs. It's when you beat one of the B&B squad, and Drebin calls you to tell you their incredibly rote backstory. Was a child soldier, killed babies as a baby, etc etc. Who the gently caress cares Drebin.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone did a random B&B backstory generator that owned but I can't remember the url.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

scroll down

http://thesnakesoup.org/editorial-articles/the-5-dumbest-moments-in-metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/

• Locked thread