Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Pipski posted:

I hate multiplayer trophies. If a game has them I just ignore the trophies altogether, because there's no way I'm getting plat anyway.

This is my weird rule regarding trophies. I have to get at least 50% of the trophies, regardless if they have multiplayer trophies or not. If not, then I'll only strive to plat the game if I really enjoy playing it. I've got plats on Demon's Souls, Batman: AA, the Uncharted games, Heavy Rain and all 3 God of War games.

I also have 100% on all 5 episodes of Sam and Max: Season 3 and 100% on Flower but I don't get plats for those games. :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Crappy Jack posted:

Rent Heavy Rain. Play it once, live with your decisions and failures, don't retry a section no matter what. Beat it, then promptly return it and never touch it again or read anything else about it, and live the rest of your life believing it to be one of the most revolutionary games of all time.

Heavy Rain has one of most intense scenes I've ever played. Big spoiler: The chopping off your finger scene

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I played all afternoon yesterday, and i'm starting to agree with you here. I dunno, I like the game, where I hated Oblivion, but this is starting to feel more like it's a major patch for Oblivion, then it is a sequel.

I figured this would be the case, which is a shame really. The blandness of the characters really turned me off from Oblivion after multiple tries of playing the game. I won't even bother with Skyrim.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

This is a pretty funny Skyrim video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt5aUdijAN8

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

ColdCock posted:

My friend bought Skyrim on release and couldn't stop talking about it (he's a ridiculous Elder Scrolls fan), begging me to come over to see it. I wasn't terribly enthused, but I went anyway. He was entering an area that required load just as I walked in. During the loading screen I reminded him that it was a Bethesda game and asked him if it was buggy. As he replied that it was bug-free, we noticed that the loading screen had stopped animating and he actually had to unplug his PS3 to get anything to happen.

So, I watched him play for about an hour and a half and left really glad that I trusted my gut and didn't pick it up sight-unseen. It crashed three more times during that period. I also saw an instance where creatures were walking in the sky and bouncing up and down. The animations were only very slightly improved from Oblivion and while the textures were pretty, the snow and trees were ugly and everything just looked sterile and lifeless. I get that you can kind of do anything you want in the game, but it'd be nice if Bethesda had a clue as to how to create enough visual and audio feedback to make you FEEL like you were part of a world, doing actual things.

At one point he was walking up a mountain, endlessly trying to find invisible switchbacks, running left and right up very steep inclines. In third-person, it looked so loving ridiculous that I was rolling laughing. I asked why he was cheesing the game and he claimed that his character (some furry sort) was good at maneuvering and that's how he was supposed to do it. I mean, couldn't they create some sort of animation to imply that you were good at climbing? And NPCs just either march like they have bad diarrhea or just stand completely loving still.

My friend can't get broadband where he lives so he asked if he could bring his PS3 over this past Tuesday to download the "new patch that fixes crashing and stuff." So I said sure. Now, I'm not sure what the patch was actually supposed to do, but after he downloaded it, he insisted on showing me where he was in the game. Needless to say he got really upset on the second area loading screen when he had to unplug his PS3 over a hard crash again.

Anyway, I'm ranting, but I just can't believe people are proclaiming Skyrim as GOTY when it's clearly a buggy, unpolished, visually-uninspired skeleton of a game. It's especially baffling considering that number of extremely kickass games this season.

Thanks for this. You just made my decision to wait on this game if I decide to get it at all.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Captain Walker posted:

You want Saints Row 3 if you want crazy. Also you get Saints Row 2 for free IIRC if you buy new.

How long does the offer last?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I don't even want to buy another PS3 game until I'm done.

This is a smart thing to do. Don't be an idiot like me and keep buying games with absolutely no time to play them!! Counting my PS3, DS, Wii and PC games I currently have 15 games backlogged :argh:

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Brightman posted:

Between Steam sales, GOG, and just not having enough time my backlog is over 100. Well, backlog of unfinished games is over 100, backlog of games I haven't touched at all yet is like 30 I think.

God drat dude. I don't feel so bad now.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Is that still a freebie when you buy Saints Row 3, or did that finally stop?

Still going. I'm in the middle of downloading it actually.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Stare-Out posted:

Whoever said Kingdoms of Amalur rips off WoW were pretty spot-on. At points the ripping off is very heavy-handed, but I guess if you're going to rip off someone...

Judging from the demo, it seems like a fun little timesink, but at points feels very low-budget and it has bugs up the rear end. During a dialogue with someone, the camera went for a closeup of their face and I could see my character casually strolling in the background for a second. That, and the frequent framerate issues drop it down from a full price purchase to 'eh, I'll wait until it's like 5 bucks'.

Would the game be more worthwhile if I've never played a minute of WoW?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Shalinor posted:

Ditto. They paid me way more than Gamstop every single time, never a problem, etc. At this point, I refuse to do trade-ins with GameStop - they suck by comparison.

No kidding? drat, wish I knew this before I traded in a poo poo ton of games.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Crowbear posted:

Oh man why did you have to remind about that series?

Now I'm going to have to replay Shadow Hearts I&II for the fiftieth time. They really are fantastic games.

Shadow Hearts 2 especially. The ending (both of them) really struck a chord with me. Yuri is one of my favorite characters ever.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

the truth posted:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2012/03/21/bioware-co-founder-apologizes-to-fans-for-the-mass-effect-3-ending-sort-of/

Hot drat, there's nothing like reading an article about games from a real journalist to drive home the fact that virtually all gaming journalism isn't journalism. Forbes has had some great coverage for the past couple weeks.

Is the article spoiler free?

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

jabro posted:

Sleeping Dogs. I got it on PC to save $15 but holy poo poo is it fun. Here is a screenshot I posted in the game's thread.

I'm going to an airport later to kidnap a green-eyed Chinese girl. Anyone want to join me?

Click for bigger!

Ok yeah, I have to get this game now. The fact that I can be a thug from Big Trouble in Little China did it for me. I loving love that movie.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

The Platinum I'm most proud of. :black101::hf::black101:

I've got the plat for Demon's Souls. Is the plat for Dark Souls similar in difficulty and time? I haven't had a chance to play it yet.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Temascos posted:

Hmm, should probably get Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs at some point. I've already got an immense backlog of games I want to get before I even contemplate the games I want in 2013. I think I'll be on my PS3 for a long rear end time before I think about getting the successor systems to this generation. I also gun for platinums in most of the games I've got, ticking them off in a list. :)

Heck, ain't even got Dark Souls yet! That's enough to get me by for the next while or so.

I was like you in that I wanted to get platinums for most of the games I still have yet to play. I just look at my backlog and work/life in general getting more busy and I had to stop thinking about getting trophies. I don't know how big your backlog is but I've been stuck at ~20 games to beat for what seems like forever.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

Here's a good website I use that keeps a current list of 3D compatible games.

http://www.3dtested.com/3d-ps3-games-list/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

mrEkli posted:

I'm tempted to upgrade from my old big PS3 to a smaller newer model. I'm under the belief that the newer ones are better with WiFi. Is that true?

Yes, in my case when I went from the old 60gb fat PS3 to the new slim version my wireless speeds went up a good bit. A nice little surprise in my opinion. I was mainly getting it for the reduced noise and larger hard drive.

• Locked thread