Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Well I am now a PS3 owner thanks to that Assassin's Creed 500GB bundle for $229. Time to cancel XBL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Sadly I cannot, i've played a couple PC games with an always online DRM system, and got burned pretty hard by all of them. I've sworn to never play them again. It doesn't matter how stable your internet connection is, they never ever work correctly.

I played all the way through Starcraft 2: WOL's single player campaign when it was brand new while tethered to a phone with one to two bars of signal, so YMMV.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Shalinor posted:

You could potentially argue it's already happening. Dead Space just got shuttered, after trying to appeal to that market. There's the hope that the next console generation will re-invigorate them, but how many Wii U's have been sold? Etc.

The Wii U, like the Wii, is only a next-gen system in terms of release date. That section of the market is the one that's specifically not buying a Wii U because all the games they want to play on it were already released with comparable graphics and a better controller on the consoles they already own.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Jjaarreett posted:

They've sold all the PS3s they're going to sell already

Not true - I bought one last week.

Though it's true that the Vita gets more love because they need to move more units.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I think I'm gonna go on my first Journey tonight.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Parody or not, it's equally stomach-turning.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm not willing to look but I think the nip slip sorc image is fanmade. I just can't see them putting that out to the press; and the art style seems different in how it's colored.

Still cringe worthy. I'll defend a lot of things but... not that.

It's signed by the artist on the sorc's knee. Is that the same artist?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

If you don't understand the difference between a character in a beat-em-up having overemphasized muscles or overemphasized T&A...

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

In Japan it was only related to random contents type microtransactions though, the online equivalent of one of those vending machines that sells a ball and then you open it and there's a random model or something inside. They thought that that was increasing its addictiveness versus any other kind of in-game buying. They were probably right.

Opening randomly determined prizes is absolutely addictive. Just think about the feeling you get when you first look at your pocket cards or see the flop in a hand of poker, identify items in roguelikes, open sealed product in a CCG like Magic, or farm for rare drops in MMOs. It's intermittent reinforcement that works because when it pays off it feels so good that you'll endure the times it doesn't.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Code Jockey posted:

Winston's wedding massacre [which I did not see coming but probably should have]

I saw it coming because I had finished GTA4.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I said come in! posted:

Don't get this for the PS3. People who played it in the beta said the experience was awful. Low screen resolution and the performance is terrible.

PC version doesn't support Crossfire yet so PS3 was actually my preferred way to play it during the beta. The framerate was a little choppy but I like being able to sit on my bed while I play games instead of hunching over a keyboard - this and simple to use community/multiplayer features are the only reasons I own consoles at all since almost all crossplatform games look better on PC.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

The PC client is accessible no matter which version you buy, so if you're on the fence, go ahead and get PS3 and then play on whichever one you want whenever you want.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Samurai Sanders posted:

The next Tales game was announced for the PS3. No release date or anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_p4pdFLQ9o

Zesty! (I dunno if that's the feeling they had in mind with the title)

Where do they go after this now that they've hit the end of the alphabet?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Krad posted:

The controls were more than okay in KH1. The camera, however... I have no idea how I put up with that crap 10 years ago.

This is how I feel when I try to play 5th gen Zelda games.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

The Last of Us sold me on finally picking up Uncharted 1 & 2 since I already had 3 from PS+. Naughty Dog sure has been doing some great things that I didn't give a second thought to since I always saw them as the Crash Bandicoot company.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

The problem with your thinking is that Crash Bandicoot actually ruled really, really hard.

It's not my kind of game. Not an indictment of the franchise.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Scyron posted:

Funny thing. I suggested this to my friend about TLoU and he felt it was an insult to play a game on Easy. When going further into it, the very idea of completing/beating a game is far more challenging it seems now days for most, then ever before. Nevermind those that pull through for the platinum trophy.

Game difficulty means jack poo poo to me in the era of autosaves every 30 seconds. Brute forcing a game isn't a matter of pride. I play games on the easiest difficulty because I want to be told a story through a unique medium.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Resonance of Fate is not what I would call a good game.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

me in the RPG thread two days ago posted:

RoF is the only RPG I've quit when already over 75% done because I still had no idea what was going on. No NPCs have any exposition except for those little vignettes between chapters that are all about people you haven't met. There IS a story going on but the player is, by and large, not a participant in it. What the player spends most of the game doing feels like the inane side quests of most RPGs' endgame, front loaded.

RoF left me feeling burned after how much time I spent on it. The SETTING of the game is superb. The STORY, however, is not. And as stated above the initially novel and fun combat system very much wears out its welcome when it becomes a chore to do later and every fight's strategy is the same.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Dominic White posted:

It's what I'd call a great game. It's non-traditional in every possible respect, including storytelling. It's episodic, and one of the core themes is that the protagonists are aware that there's some seriously bad poo poo going down, and that they want nothing to do with it. They will actively avoid plot threads and back down if there's any chance of it leading into further danger.
Yeah, that's not compelling to me at all. And if the cutscenes between chapters were a movie, it would have a terribly disjointed plot and be unwatchable. I had no reason to care about it since I wasn't there for it and I was never told who any of these people were or what their motives were or why I should care.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Dominic White posted:

You probably haven't watched many movies. There's plenty of plots screwier than RoF.

The game is structured more like a TV show, anyway. Each chapter is a self-contained episode for the most part, with a couple of hints of background story elements building up until the final arc.

Maybe it would help you understand why I hated RoF if I told you I am not a fan of anime at all and almost never watch any episodic TV that isn't about mundane things like The Office or How I Met Your Mother.

Disgaea's episodic format didn't bother me though because the overarching plot directly involved me and I affected it even though not everything I did had an immediate effect. At least I didn't spend an entire chapter fetching wine for a character I never saw again, or delivering Christmas presents.

Dross fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 4, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

No game has ever punched me in the gut like TLoU did.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Why did we stop using spoiler tags?

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I like RDR and TLOU for the same reason: because they had believable protagonists, interactions that made me give a poo poo about them and empathize with them, and not-jarringly-terrible voice acting.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Wallrod posted:

Really my biggest problem with the game is that it wastes your time with dumb skinning animations or making you ride across mexico to start the next mission because for the last one you chased a train all the way in the other direction.

I am pretty sure that game had a fast travel system...

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I just set the ally AI to not use magic and just gave them good physical attackers, and told them to attack targets other than mine so they didn't get in my way. Basically solo the game with a little cat man.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

PS2 on Vita is the big combination there that I'm interested in.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

A couple hours of Toko grinding in the midgame and you never have to grind again, honestly.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I just finished ME3 last night after playing through all three games at a clip this month (having never played them before and avoided most spoilers). I hated everything about 3. Structure, pacing, dialogue, characterization, all took a nosedive after how great the first two games were in those regards. A lot of people complained about the ending disregarding the choices you made throughout the series but actually they spent the whole game doing that. Oh you let so and so die? Well here's a reasonable facsimile who advances the plot identically but hates you. Oh you were unfaithful in ME2? That's okay Liara still loves you.

Also, everyone is gay. I would appreciate better attempts to be progressive in game writing but in this one it was completely ham-handed because now my own character is suddenly an equal opportunity philanderer so EVERYONE under my command is trying to bang me as opposed to just the opposite sex (which I guess is the only way to make it so that any player can choose anything they want, so it's fair) but they also threw MY WIFE and MY HUSBAND for same gender characters into what felt like 50% of incidental overheard dialogue. Conveniently though everyone's gay partner is either dead or missing so you never have to SEE anyone be gay unless you are gay yourself. I feel weird complaining about this because I normally support any attempts to get the word out about minorities but I felt like I was being beaten over the head with the gay instead of just having a couple of well written, fleshed out, believable characters that had meaningful interactions with me as opposed to just being the bus driver or some no-name no-quest NPC whose only character trait is "gay". It felt a lot like Strong Females, one-dimensional due to being written by people who don't get it.

Dross fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 27, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

It's better than nothing and I did feel some compassion for him, but I guess I feel like he should have had more going on than just that. He didn't get much screen time to be a fleshed out character so to me it felt like they wrote a gay character instead of writing a character who is gay, if that makes sense. I feel disappointed that there wasn't more to him than the husband mourning and option to sleep with him. Maybe the fact that he didn't show up until 3 is part of it, too.

(Also Kaidan was dead in my playthrough so I don't know if his interactions were more organic.)

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

They're both about as well written as the rest of the romance options, not sure where you're coming from here. It's a bad game in a lot of ways but this isn't one of them.

Well. All of that "romance" stuff is pretty badly written, really. But other romanceable characters throughout the series have other motivations and plot contributions, which Cortez, Allers, and Traynor do not. I didn't retread the rest of my complaints with ME3's writing too much because they've been said better by others plenty of times.

Cortez and Traynor feel like they exist for the sole purpose of being bangable gay people. I don't like that. They need more to them. Like someone at BioWare said "put gay people in the game" as opposed to "some of the people in the game can/should be gay." Having gay people in the game is a step forward from not having gay people, but I feel like the step could have been bigger.

But maybe the bigger step can be made by a game that doesn't have terrible writing all around.

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jan 27, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Manatee Cannon posted:

reporter you punch in the face every game

See I was totally going to replay the series as a Renegade so I could do stuff like this and see how the other side's story went but since ME3 ignored everything I did prior to itself, it's killed my desire to do that.

quote:

They're all miles ahead of Miranda or Jack, which have been uniquely terrible in their own special little ways since ME2.
I never used either in my squad in ME2 because I felt embarrassed anytime they were on screen. The conversation camera angles always having Miranda's hermetically sealed butt in the foreground were especially cringeworthy.

G-Whizard posted:

Yes, sometimes there is dialogue I don't care about but it's usually because I want to see all the dialogue trees and I end up selecting every tiny option and turn what should have been a quick conversation into Commander Shepherd asks 20 questions.

This is the biggest thing that got in my way. The first two games held my interest but by halfway through 3 I'd gone from "I want to know EVERYTHING" to "I just want this to be over but I don't want to miss anything."

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 27, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Best outcomes of minor plotlines, sure, but in most cases the characters just get replaced by totally-not-that-character and those plotlines still *happen* without them and don't significantly affect the game as a whole. And I would have liked for the ending to be based on my choices and my paragon/renegade score as opposed to "did you do all the side missions in THIS game, okay good, choose your ending."

Also the ending revolved around "organics and synthetics can't coexist in peace" which as a Paragon I spent the entire loving series trying to disprove.

Dross fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 27, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Syrinxx posted:

I see that we have moved from calling Bioshock Infnite horrible poo poo to calling Mass Effect horrible poo poo. Hoping that Portal 2 and Last of Us get called horrible poo poo next!

Goons :allears:

poo poo, I almost thought we were going to get to have a frank discussion where we disagree on a game's merits and flaws without anyone calling anyone else's opinion stupid.

Next time, friends.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

I totally agree. I think that, instead of choosing your ending at the end, if it had taken the choice out of your hands and had based it on certain decisions averaged out across the 3 games the public outcry probably wouldn't have been as bad. That way, the ending is a culmination of your actions throughout the entire series, as opposed to just picking something at the end which may be totally out of character.

On the other hand, then the complaint would have been "why do I have to play all 3 games again to get a different ending?"

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Sprat Sandwich posted:

some of the animations are loving horrendous I mean a game from 2012 couldn't do looking at things without peoples eyes rolling up inside their skulls and they do that constantly, even in cutscenes.

That reminds me, this happened to me (sorry for iphone video).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYz8SA6-WvA

She was stuck in that corner when I talked to her, so her head is constantly turning around to face me and her eyeballs ARE facing me (so they're rolled all the way back in her head). Then at the end she walks into the wall and resets.

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Then I remember playing ME2 and they brought up that dark energy and dying stars (was that also in ME1) and I was like alright this is going to be something but nope go to talk to a child.

Something I read after Googling after finishing the game was that one of the original plotline plans was that the reason the Reapers culled organics is because their reckless use of mass effect fields was unnaturally increasing dark energy/entropy and thus accelerating the heat death of the universe. Which would have made a lot more sense to me than "we do this because you guys can't get along" but in another way has the same problem as "you guys can't get along" because the solution to a problem that immature societies inevitably face is not "destroy them before they mature, then let some other immature society take over, give them the same tools, and watch them make the same mistakes"

Dross fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 27, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Does BioWare DLC ever go on sale? I got the games for under 10 bucks each so $15 DLC would kinda sting.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Ape Agitator posted:

And with the ending(s) presented, long term consequence is hosed as the isolation galaxy wide leads to the starvation and collapse without global trade and commerce keeping the various migled species alive.

The codex states that some races are dextro-amino-acid-based and some are levo-amino-acid-based, and the two can't metabolize each other / the wrong kind of protein is toxic. If all the Normandy crew is stranded on one world, won't either (Garrus and Tali) or (everyone else) immediately starve to death due to that world being one type and them being the other?

And I would like to point out that my problem is not the inclusion of gay characters, but their lack of depth even relative to everyone else. They don't have subplots with any plot effects or more than about ten minutes of screentime / two or three conversation threads each (outside of DLC which I haven't played, apparently). So my point wasn't "don't put them in" it was "do better than that."

As far as "still" being mad about ME3, I just played the entire series this month for the first time.

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 27, 2014

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

axleblaze posted:

See you say this but like Traynor, who wasn't even a squadmate, was far more interesting than say Vega, who wasn't even romancable at all. I mean, yeah the character with the dead husband didn't have alot of depth, but that's really the only example I can think of of what you're complaining about, so to say that it's a problem with the whole game that all the characters are gay and have no depth just doesn't come off very well.

Apparently Traynor gets fleshed out a lot in DLC that I didn't buy. In the main game she felt like a setpiece to me, and I definitely listened to her between every mission. Does she interact a lot more with a female Shepard other than potentially sleeping with her?

Dross fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

I agree that James isn't interesting either. Maybe my problem is that all of the newly introduced characters in ME3 are boring and ultimately inconsequential.

Re: the "everyone" thing, that was more in regard to it being an unsubtle factor in a very large amount of overheard dialogue on the Citadel as well.

I was worried that I'd come off looking like a bigot by posting my issues with it because I very much want characters like that to have quality representation in games but I didn't feel like this was it.

• Locked thread