Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
You should also add PSN games to buy to the OP (ie Pixeljunk games, Lara Croft, Flower, etc) and also post the best co-op games because that gets asked like every three pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Level Slide posted:

El Shaddai is a very pretty game and everyone should play it to marvel at how pretty it is.

I just beat Majin so it's next on my list!

Also, I do have to say that I stand by saying that Majin was pretty god damned mediocre in almost every way. I didn't hate ti but never did I feel I was doing anything that interesting. The bosses were the highlight, except for the boss of the game, who just kind of sucked.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

Bought a PS3 today since my 360 decided to break. Got Red Dead Redemption, Uncharted 2 and the new Fight night. Having played Yakuza 2, should I get 3 before playing 4 or just skip it? Loads of games in the OP that look like they'll appeal to me, I take it Castlevania, NIER and Shadows of the Damned are worth picking up since they're in the OP? I want to get LA Noire and there are probably a few others I'm thinking of.

What PSN games should I get? I've played PixelJunk Monsters to death on friends PS3's.

Yakuza has long video recap of the first two games. You'll still probably a little lost at first because it's alot of info at once (I know I was) but you quickly get up to speed.

Nier is totally worth getting. Castlevania and Shadow of the Damned....not as much. They're not bad but I would prioritize them.

Also, I will, as always recommend Demon's Souls. It's not for everyone. It's hard as hell and it has a learning curve some just aren't willing to get past, but it is one of the best action RPGs I've ever played. Do some research first though because, as I mention, you might just find it barely playable.

As for PSN games: the rest of the Pixeljunk games, Lara Croft, Flower, Scott Pilgrim, and Fat Princess are all great. Also Limbo and Braid if you haven't played them already.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Whenever I hear people who like El Shaddai talk about the gameplay, it is usually some variant of "it is not as bad as you think". Well screw that, especially in an action game like this, I want gameplay to be GOOD, not just not as bad as I think.

The thing with El Shaddai is that the demo does a terrible TERRIBLE job of explaining the combat and most of it isn't obvious either. Like there's a dodge, but bit it works differently for each weapon. There's a counter but you do it by charging your attack. The combat is fairly simple overall but it also surprising deep given it's simplicity. It's no Bayonetta or even a God of War, but it's actually kind of unique and interesting. That been said, I just started the game and I'm not sure if I actually like said combat, I just know that it's more interesting then the demo made it look.

The game is unbelievably, jaw droppingly gorgeous though...which makes up for alot.

Also, Melvin the Jerk, I might be willing to trade or sell you the game when I'm done. I'll have to see how much I end up liking it but there's a 50% chance I'll end up not handing onto it when I'm done. I should know in a week or so. I'll message you when I beat it :)

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Cartoon Man posted:

That's tempting, is there anything good or bad being said about it?

If it were just a straight port of the Wii version it would be totally worth it, but it looks like they completely overhauled the visuals and added some new levels so if you like those type of games, I'd go for it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, so they wanted to make House of the Dead...to the EXTREEEME? And decided the best way was lots of cursing?

It's more like they wanted to style it after a Grindhouse film and they ended up doing a damned fine job by the way. I mean, it might not be to your taste but they were going for a specific thing, not just some shallow marketing decision like you seemed to have put it.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 6, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
El Shaddai has completely sucked me in. I'm starting to get the combat and once you get into it, you can take care of enemies fairly quickly. This is also one of the most beautiful games I have ever played. I'm just constantly staggered by what it throws at me. The demo really shows you nothing in terms of what this game has in store with you.

I will admit the combat isn't the deepest but I like it. The three weapons all play completely differently and all have their strengths and weaknesses and the game encourages you to switch between them constantly.

I think I might end up really liking this game. It does appear to be really short though, because looking at how long it is, I appear to be almost done.

Also the new Bloodrayne seems pretty cool, but I haven't had much of a chance to play it yet. It's loving brutal when it comes to giving out stage ranks though.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Sep 7, 2011

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
How in god's name did the new Bloodrayne game manage to pass with a T rating. I'm decapitating people left and right and throwing them in spinning bladed. I don't actually care, but it's downright confusing that this didn't get an M.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

From reviews it seems like it's basically the same thing the entire time. That's why I passed.

I know this is from a page or so ago but I've started really playing it, and this is utter bullshit. Yes the combat overall remains the same, but it's more of a platformer anyways. Every area keeps throwing new obstacles a the player and alot of them are pretty rage-inducing interesting. It's not like the combat is bad or anything. It's simple but it's fun. How can you hate the combat in a game when you can infect an enemy, launch him into the air, send him into a group of his buddies and then make him explode? Really, the combat in any game where traps hurt enemies too is bound to be at least a little fun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Shalinor posted:

Is it inherently better, though, or is it just prettier?

Every time I look at LBP2, I can't help but think - "eh, yeah, I played that already, and I guess they made the graphics better." Is the content available substantially better than what I can play if I just go load up LBP1 again?

I honestly don't understand how that be said about LBP2. I mean, 99% of sequels, sure, but LBP2's campaign alone was just a constant stream of stuff that wasn't possible to do in LBP1 and really with the tools that they have available it's still the tip of the iceberg. Like, I know that alot of the user generation content ends up being rather simple because making stuff like that is easier, and I will also admit I haven't played in a while but even early on there was a wealth of stuff available that you just couldn't do in the original.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

TaurusOxford posted:

Pretty sure they average the same length as the other God of War titles.

No, they're definitely shorter. I think the first one is like five hours and the second is like six to ten.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Palleon posted:

What exactly is From Dust? I noticed it was released and kind of ignored it, but you've piqued my curiosity.

There is a a demo, so you can find out for yourself pretty easily.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

Counterpoint: Ninja Gaiden 2 was a steaming pile of poo poo that was only made decent after Itagaki left and Team Ninja could fix the game.

Counterpoint 2: Ninja Gaiden Sigma was also a nice improvement over NG/Black.

Counterpoint 3: The new game that Itagaki's studio is making looks freakin' awful. It's WET 2.

So in conclusion, the best Ninja Gaiden games are the ones without Itagaki's involvement and when left to his own devices he makes turds. It's also worth noting that Ninja Gaiden 3 looks pretty sweet :D

Counter-counterpoint: They did a terrible job fixing it and added a bunch of uninteresting poo poo.

Counter-counterpoint 2: Only really graphically and I would hope it would look better on a next gen console.

Counter-counterpoint 3: Really? How so? It really only looks like Wet in the sense that it combines shooting with platforming. To me the trailerlooks pretty damned fun. It also, shockingly, contains a woman that is wearing clothes, indicating that part of team ninja might not have been all Itagaki.

Counter-counterpoint 4: From what I've heard so far, Ninja Gaiden 3 seems to be stripping out alot of what makes Ninja Gaiden games fun.

Counter-counterpoint 5: Metroid: Other M.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

Played a couple of hours of the God of War Origins collection this afternoon. Being my fourth God of War game, it feels exactly like all the other ones. Square, square, triangle and all that. Still, Kratos isn't the supreme whiny douche that he became in GoW3, so I'm having fun with it. The graphics aren't awesome, but they're perfectly playable.

Chains of Olympus has the best plot of the entire series. It gos for that whole emotional thing that GoWIII tried to pull off but actually succeeds.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Marogareh posted:

The gameplay was bit odd at first with the evading done with the shoulder buttons but you get used to it pretty quick.

What???? They didn't changing the loving dodge o the stick? How loving lazy are they? I mean the shoulders worked well enough on the PSP version because they had no other choice but come one! How hard would it have been to change it?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I just beat Bloodrayne: Betrayal and I really, really liked it. It's pretty much Shank combined with old school Castlevania combined with Donkey Kong Country of all things. The platforming is loving Brutal but really satisfying. The game never stops throwing new stuff at you and even when it goes back to old ideas, it tends to put new twists on them. It also has what is easily the best elevator level I've ever seen in a game.

I recommend it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I had alot of fun with the DCUO beta but didn't really want to pay monthly for it. This is pretty fantastic news for me and just adds another loving thing for me to play this year.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Yechezkel posted:

If you like the Ratchet and Clank games, the PS3 demo station at Best Buy stores have a R&C: All 4 One demo among other demos. It's the only place where I've seen a demo of that game so far.
One big difference between it and the other R&C games is that you no longer have control of the camera. The camera is on a fixed path, kind of like the camera in the God of War games. The right stick now pulls up the weapon wheel.

If you really like the Ratchet and Clank games, there are free beta codes for All 4 One on ratchetandclank.com. Just click on the image above the video that says "CLICK HERE FOR BETA ACCESS" and a beta code will show up on the screen.

I feel mixed about downloading this. On the one hand I adore Ratchet and Clank and honestly, it's probably the biggest reason I bought a PS3. On the other hand there are too many games coming out this season and I have convinced myself to wait on this game and I don't need this convincing me otherwise.

Still, I'm downloading it and thanks for posting it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

bat duck posted:

I wish all developers would ruin my game for me after I just bought it from them.

Man, is there anything the internet won't bitch about?

Ah well, still beats the Mass Effect thread whining about how they're getting an Oscar winning composer.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Renoistic posted:

BTW, Might & Magic is discounted at PSN now, are the changes worth the price or should I just stick to the portable DS version?

I think it's overall worth it. The new graphics are really pretty and the rebalances really do improve the game overall. If you think you'd have fun going through the campaign again, I'd say go for it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Fuzz posted:

Wait that's out?

gently caress.

That's what I get for not reading this thread for like 3 weeks.

Well, technically it's out on Tuesday.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Scyron posted:

Anyone have experience with Child of Eden? I'm looking to pick it up in 2012 feb, since it should get a price drop by then, and it looks really phenominal.

I heard it is short but has the replay value to make up for it. If nothing else it is a beautiful game and even if it is linear and static I am willing to shell out some dough come Feb. Oh I also got a full PSmove, 2 wands, navi, spare DS3, and a second copy of uncharted 2 for like $130, so I kind of need more move titles to fill my library.

edit: VVV amazon has it for $40 PS3, $30 for 360. With no kinect I wont be getting it on 360, even if I could barrow my brothers kinect. I am looking at $20-30 price range, though if it lacks real value I think I can wait. I did wait some 7-9(?)years for REZ HD, which I think was totally worth it.

I recently got Child of Eden and I loved it. I too was waiting for the PS3 version, but Amazon had the 360 version for $20 bucks. I was just going to be playing with a controller anyways and the trophies just weren't an extra $20/few months of waiting for me, so I got it.

It's hard for me to judge how good it is. Rez is probably one of my top ten favorite games of all time and it's not quite as good as that. It's odd, Rez has four good levels and then an amazing fifth level. Child of Eden has four really good levels and then a lackluster fifth level. One of the things I liked about Rez was is gradually got more complex in interesting with the themes it was trying to present. Child of Eden just kind of lacks that. Also the music isn't quite as good. The addition of vocals kind of takes away and makes a few moments feel a little corny, especially towards the end.

Still, it is a GORGEOUS game. I beat El Shaddai last month saying it might have been the prettiest game I've played and this soundly beats it. There are visuals in this game that are mind blowing. There are things going on in the first level that are so unique that it's actually hard to follow.

The gameplay is also still pretty fun. I like Rez a bit better with it's evolving weapons, but it's still pretty much Rez.

In general, if you liked Rez, you must own this game. It is a worthy, if not quite as good, sequel. Yes, it's short but I still play Rex from time to time to this day, and I can see myself doing the same with Child of Eden.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Puddin posted:

It's probably been posted in other threads, but I applaud any of you that get to the end of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nxp83CimT0w&feature=player_embedded!

The Tommy Wi-show. If you've seen The Room, then you know how utterly bad Tommy Wiseau is, this is 10 steps further in the worse direction.

Who thought this was a good idea? I mean obviously Wiseau, but someone else thought it would be a good idea to let him do anything, which is just :psyduck:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of HD ports, I beat God of War: Chains of Olympus and it was good, but really there are things that were forgivable on the PSP that are less so in a PS3 game. Really, is makes you appreciate just how well the original games were made. One thing that happens alot is you'll be put in arenas where the enemies can either walk in front of or out of site of the camera (hell, even the boss of the game does this). this is something that never happened in the original games. The camera was pretty much always placed so you could see where the enemies were at all time (which is no easy feet in a game with no camera controls). There's also a bunch of small flaws. The game constantly put checkpoints before unskippable cut scenes, so if the battle it tough, you will have to watch it again and again. Once again, this is present at the boss of the game, and there's even a trophy for watching said cut scene three times, so at that point it feels like they're rubbing your face in it.

It still is a solid, fun God of War game that frankly has a more interesting plot than it's console brethren but it was kind of better of on a portable where most of it's flaws would be overshadowed by the fact that they somehow fit a God of War game on a portable.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Why does Amazon always take so long to tell me my stuff has shipped. I trust the Ico collection will get here tomorrow but it's 4:30 and my order still says "shipping soon". Get it together Amazon :argh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

As someone who gets a little on edge about that too, let me console you by saying:

Why does it loving matter, you sperg?

It'll be there tomorrow and you know it.

Because sometimes they actually don't ship it and it gets here late :( It doesn't happen often but it has happened. I know in the logical part of my brain that even if it doesn't arrive tomorrow, I have a bunch of other games to play, in this case it's a game I've already played and in the long run I won't even remember if it arrived on time once I actually get it but there's this much louder part of my brain that wants it nooooowwwwwww :qq:

This will be even worse with Arkham City and Saint's Row 3, which I got for $45 off of New Egg but had to get standard shipping.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only one that didn't really like Muramasa. I think it's main problem for me was it was the follow up to Odin Sphere which was basically better and more interesting than it in every way. It was just such a let down and it got really tedious by the end. It wasn't bad per se, but holy poo poo was Odin Sphere better.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
It's amazing that Ico is essentially a first gen PS2 game. It really shows how far style can take you.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I don't understand like, the plot. So people listen to this guy with a bandana and think the hero is now a bad guy? how does that make sense?

Also a guy that's known the MC for a while suddenly is afraid of him when he's given no other cause for him to think that way? :psyduck:

Did you miss the part where the guy had footage of you with the bomb that destroyed the city, because the guy had footage of you with the bomb that destroyed the city.

ColdCock posted:

Is Dead Space 2 anywhere near as good? I can snag it for $20.

IMO, DS2 is way better than the first. It loses steam at the end but the highlights of that game are incredible. To me it was almost an Uncharted 1 to Uncharted 2 like difference. Not quite that great but man is it good. It also has one of my favorite/least favorite enemies in any game. They're so loving annoying but any scene with them is awesome.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

MUFFlNS posted:

I haven't played DS2 but I really didn't enjoy the end of the original Dead Space at all. Once you got down onto the planet it became really unfun terribly fast. There was just something off about that game for me anyways though. I mean, I really enjoyed the game at the start but the more I played the less enjoyable it was. I can't quite put my finger on why however.

Don't worry, the end of Dead Space 2 is awful as well! I really do love that game but it really loses it in the last three chapters.

Going back to the first one vs the second one, I think one of the reasons DS2 was so much better for me is because DS1 just wasn't that scary. It had some good atmosphere at times but I think DS2 topped it with some of it's set pieces and with all the over the top crazy poo poo that happens, it doesn't matter as much that it's not scary. It kind of replaces the "oh my god something might be behind that corner" tension with "oh my god this enemies are going to loving rip me into little pieces" tension. I think part of this is that they saw the complaints about all the jump scares and really cut back on them replacing them more with "this is really freaky and violent" type of moments.

It did probably help that I played DS2 on hard, while I played the original on Normal. From what I can tell DS2 is just alot harder in general in having it jump to that from what wasn't ever a challenge in the first one made a big difference.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Trying to do the no deaths trophy on my first run through of Ico was probably a bad idea. Assuming it doesn't count loading saves, I was doing fine for a while, but there are no save points during the last like half hour of the game so when I die there, I have to either give up the trophy or go all the way back to the last couch in the game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Good Citizen posted:

I just saw that Chrono Trigger is apparently coming to the PS3 next week? I don't see any mention of which version we're getting, though. I guess it is probably the PSone version, but I'm hoping for the DS version that came out a while back. I just don't see any information one way or the other.

It's the psone version.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Jamesman posted:

Hooray, a passable Mario 64 clone and two (three?) of the worst games of the last console generation. Now with trophies!

And you just know those trophies WILL include ones for getting all the precursor orbs.

Jak and Daxter isn't really a Mario 63 clone. Yes it's a platformer with a collect poo poo like structure, but it played very differently.

Jak II and 3 were just awesome (though II has some pretty dated decisions put into it).

Mug posted:

Ico was pretty crappy.

I'm actually kicking myself for not beating it sooner. I've had the game for like 10 years and for no real reason I never got very far in it. I beat it this afternoon and just about every part of it was absolutely beautiful. I really loved it and I can only wonder how I would have felt about it if I beat it way back when.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Kly posted:

The terrible camera and horse controls are intentional? Why would they purposely make their game unintuative and difficult to do something so basic?

I never really had any trouble with the controls in SotC at all. The horse controls like a horse, not vehicle. He doesn't like to do things that will hurt it. You can't just force the horse to do things. He is your partner in the game, not a tool. I can see why people would have trouble with this but once you except it, it makes alot of sense.

Really all the controls in the game feel very deliberate. I also never really had trouble with the camera. It tends to show you what to need, and when it doesn't the button that shows the colossus does the job, because really that's all you really need to be focusing on.

In general the people's problems with SotC's control's have always been a mystery yo me. I never had any complaints.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

There's nothing like trying to stab a colossus in the head using the down thrust move, but at the last second he moves his head and you fall to your death.

How much stamina do you need to get to the garden? I've never gotten up there on the PS2 version.

You need max.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ein Bear posted:

So according to a comment (scroll down to #3) on the Playstation Blog, these will be the original versions of the games, without any HD-ifying, or Trophies...

I was excited when I thought they were remasters, but now it just feels like they're being shady by not letting us play the original discs on the PS2 emulator they've clearly cooked up.

gently caress...I would kill for a lag free Odin Sphere.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Hey guess what Gamefly just sent me and I played 5 minutes of and will never touch again.

Shadows of the Colossus.

I mean, sure I bet I'm missing out on a very serene, deep experience, but gently caress those controls so hard.

Never again.

At least you have it a fair chance :jerkbag:

Speaking of :jerkbag:, I know I literally did this a week ago with the Team Ico Collection, but why the gently caress has Dark Souls not shipped yet? To be fair, last time I was complaining at 4 in the afternoon. It's 10:30 at night and it's not even saying "shipping soon"...it's still on "not yet shipped". I swear to god amazon...if I have to wait an extra day to play Dark Souls :argh:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Well gently caress, I asked Amazon support and they are apparently out of stock of Dark Souls despite the fact I loving preordered it. :suicide:

It's good to know they don't loving understand the point of preordering stuff.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Seriously though...I'm REALLY loving pissed. Here's hoping I can somehow find a store that has this in stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I currently am not sure what to believe. I talked to another guy on the phone and he said that the other person was confused and if I preordered it when it was in stock, I should end up getting it.

I don't know what to believe but I can hope :v: but it's almost midnight and it still hasn't loving shipped...so I'm still not that optimistic.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 4, 2011

• Locked thread