Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

If you have a softmodded PS2, you can substitute the PSX in that equation with a PS2 running ulaunchelf. That's assuming you can't just use the memory card adapter on a PC, I dunno if that works or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

axleblaze posted:

To be fair, the script and character designs are all anyone really has to work off of when it comes to complaints. It's not like most people have played the thing. The gameplay is probably, though likely less RPGish than ever.
I actually get the vibe from the demo that its ever so slightly more RPGish than ME2. At least, weapon mods are back and they introduced some small amount of specialization in the skill "trees". Probably not as RPGy as ME1 was, and not even close to a proper Bioware game, but that's kind of the point of the ME series I guess.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

This doesn't mean anything. Everyone said Star Wars the Old Republic was fantastic, during the beta, and the release would be huge, and stay huge forever. Now, no one is playing it. Pre release hype, is never ever accurate.
The real problem is the insular communities that allow that hype to grow by shooting down any kind of dissent. MMO players are already a pretty insular group of people by their nature, and then you have the self-selected subgroup of beta testers, and the very vocal hardcore within that subgroup. Unfortunately the way we segregate our internet conversations into MMO subforums and game-specific threads also breeds a ton of groupthink and lovely circlejerks.

Hype can be a great thing, you just have to consider the source and their claims. Every reasonable person I knew that played the SWTOR beta and had an accurate opinion of its quality are hyping GW2 up to be at least something interesting.

And I just realized this is the PS3 thread and this is horribly off topic ahhhh

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah, its under demos. I'm hearing that KZ3 isn't actually free to play, though. Sargent isn't the level cap, but rather that's when the demo period ends, and you have to pay if you want to play more period. Kind of lovely they advertised it that way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Honest Thief posted:

You dont want to play it.
What are you trying to say about Fist of Mars? :colbert:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Philadelphia, Boston, and New York would probably be the hub worlds. I'd love to see them head south at one point, perhaps Charleston, SC? Then again, they would have to show slavery and plantations. Not sure if they want to risk going there...I can see the Fox News headlines now. I suppose they could pretend it doesn't exist if they wanted to.
Don't forget about DC, that place is full of supposed illuminati and masonic symbols, its a perfect setting. Although architecturally it might not be a great fit with the gameplay.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Oh wait, I was thinking Civil War, Revolutionary War does make more sense doesn't it :downs:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Altair was okay, his robes weren't much different than the ones the monks wore, and he didn't wear bandoliers full of ridiculous weapons. Then again, his personality was as bland as his outfit.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The PSP game is worse than AC1. It takes the first game's horrible mission structure and removes just about every redeeming feature, the world is smaller, there are fewer NPCs, and the AI is somehow worse. Even the DS/iphone version is better, at least they tried to do something different by recontextualizing AC into Prince of Persia.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The main point of advice for RoF: Do the tutorial! Normally this wouldn't be such a big deal, but tri-Ace in their infinite wisdom decided to stick the tutorial in a completely optional location in the complete opposite direction of where the plot tells you to go. And its just far enough away from your starting location that its entirely possible to get into a random encounter on your way there.

If you go to the arena though, literally every single mechanic in the game will be explained to you in excruciating detail.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I said come in! posted:

A crap load of DLC.
At least its not Disgaea 3, where they patched in a 500MB anime trailer for the Raspberyl DLC. Thanks nisa, I really needed to see that.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

I really respect From Software's current stance on DLC even though I would loving kill for some more Dark Sould action right now.
Its not even From's stance, I think that's just the Souls' guys opinion. Armored Core 5 looks to have a bunch of parts DLC, following in the grand tradition of Chromehounds which was doing the whole on-disc DLC thing not long after all the Horse Armor poo poo.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Miijhal posted:

The DCL for ACV is basically just unlocking parts early. As far as I know, all the parts granted by DLC can be unlocked by leveling up as well.
I want to say the preorder packs have both early unlocks and some exclusive stuff, but I dunno, as usual the preorder DLC is presented in a really confusing way.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

il serpente cosmico posted:

How many hours is typical for a first play through of Demon's Souls? I should finally play it with the servers going down.
Have you played Dark Souls? You'll have to take that into account since they largely share the same skillset. I had the same thought and just started playing Demon's last night, and I am ripping through it so far.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I'd actually agree that Twin Snakes is more playable, and sure looks a hell of a lot better than the original. However, Kitamura's new direction on the cutscenes is totally at odds with the narrative of the game. Twin Snakes is definitely worth playing, but only with the context of the PSX version. Particularly if you actually care about the MGS story (which you should, MGS owns).

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

...! posted:

What the gently caress is Persona 4 Arena? It just showed up in Gamefly's coming soon list.
An ArcSys fighting game featuring the cast of Persona 3 and 4. Looks pretty cool.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

barren_sky posted:

I was thinking of picking up Disgaea 4, my first Nippon Ichi game, and had a couple questions about it. I'm not terribly good at SRPGs, and haven't played much since Advance Wars on GBA. Is the difficulty in Disgaea adjustable? And barring that, if I get stuck on a tough battle, can I slip away and grind up my levels for a couple hours before coming back and kicking rear end?
Is it possible to play the game with a custom soundtrack?
Is Disgaea pretty much the pinnacle of modern SRPGs right now (as far as game balance/writing)?
Disgaea might be my favorite SRPG, but not even remotely because of the actual SRPG parts. Its an extremely spergy game that is entirely about making all your numbers go up as fast as possible. Mainly by dissecting the piles of systems the game throws at you and figuring out how to exploit them to the best of your ability. And then grinding the gently caress out of those holes until all your characters have thousands of levels.

NIS makes games for a very specific type of person: the mentally ill.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I guess the question is, is the online system more reliable/better paced now, and does it have enough content? I was under the impression that both had serious problems.
I guess you could say the content is uneven. In single player/coop there's about as much to do as AC4/A. Fewer story missions but they're longer and more involved, plus about 50 short form "order missions" that are closer in scope to classic AC. What's supposed to be the focus of the game though, Conquest Mode, is a really repetitive grind on the same maps against turrets until you earn enough points to potentially maybe fight actual people possibly.

Its really disappointing. I think the combat, customization, and balance is some of the best of the series, but its brought down by so many weird caveats and decisions in multiplayer. Nice to hear they finally pushed the bosses outside of Japan at least.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Harlock posted:

Thanks for posting the codes :)

Wish I was home for that Twisted Metal one.
Both of them are gone already. Oh well, thanks anyway Comrade for being a cool dude.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's funny, I thought the very same thing when I was in the beta for that game 2 years ago :geno:

I can't believe that poo poo still isn't out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

This Jacket Is Me posted:

I need a game that shoot mans and can split screen co-op, preferably also split-screen while playing online. What's the best?

This isn't usually my cup of tea, and the last game that I played like this was COD4:MW1 and I hated it, but I have a friend that wants to get into some Real Gun Action.
Halo? Unless "Real Gun Action" means contemporary military stuff, in which case you're SOL.

edit: This isn't the 360 thread :negative:

homeless snail fucked around with this message at 06:36 on May 14, 2012

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

BlindNinja posted:

Just remake, or resurrect Siphon Filter, I would snap it up. That was 999 Studios which became THQ right?
Pretty sure Sony owns Siphon Filter, so nope, THQ is still hosed.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Havent played Just Cause aside from the demos. Judging from those videos it looks similar to Mercenaries. Is that accurate?
Not even remotely, Just Cause is all about flying around the landscape like a maniacal rear end in a top hat with your infinitely redeployable parachute and grappling hook and leaving a trail of death and destruction in your wake.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

I meant the sandboxy aspect of Mercenaries, not the objectives. Does what you said still apply?
Absolutely, there's dozens of villages on the map and you just spend hours descending on one, blowing up everything in sight, grabbing everything shiny, and then gliding away to the next one.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also the best Batman game.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

EC posted:

I got my TV replaced with a newer set (warranty replacement from LG, who has had astonishing customer service over the last couple of months) which uses passive 3D glasses as opposed to the active shutter, and oh man the difference is crazy. The effect doesn't fall apart more than 10 feet away, the glasses aren't nearly as uncomfortable (but just as dorky), and I didn't get any eye strain at all. I played through some Wipeout, Stardust, and SotC, as well as watched a couple of 3D videos.

3D SotC is kinda cool.
Be sure to go into the options and play with the intensity slider, full-on you get a really great sense of depth that makes the world feel so much bigger.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

poo poo I misread their quote, I thought they said make a console up to their standards. My bad.

But yeah it's probably not worth it for them as much as I'd love another Champions of Norrath style game.
Sony should just cut out the middleman and make a new CoN. Its pretty much the only thing Everquest that engenders any kind of goodwill with people, aside from like the first 3 years of EQ1.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Grimace posted:

I really, really hope that the changes to Playstation Plus are good in the end. I've had a subscription since January and I don't regret it one bit. I've gotten so many good deals and free poo poo- but I hear that Sony's losing money on the Playstation Network overall, so I'm shaking in my boots that things will change for the worst. Crossing my fingers.
The value proposition on PS+ is so good right now, I can't see the changes being anything but disappointing. I'm sure they'll try to hype up some minor addition to make the price hike seem worth it, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Guess I was wrong! That's a pretty great announcement.

...! posted:

It's a bit disingenuous to state that one of the improvements to the PS3 version of Resident Evil 4 is the support for widescreen resolutions in the proper aspect ratio, given that the PS2 version had support for that (and even progressive scan). If you've played the PS2 version, the only improvement in the PS3 version is the higher resolution.
Of course, the PS2 version also had significantly lower quality lighting, and all the cutscenes were prerendered.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hirsute posted:

Does anyone know how long these PS+ games will be available for download in NA? I saw a list with expiration dates for the EU, but can't seem to find it for the US. I want to play like all of them but my HD is small so I'll probably have to delete some of them to download the others, just want to get the ones with the closest expiration date for now.
Find them on the store, click download, and back out when you get to the download cart screen. It'll mark it as purchased and you'll be able to get it for as long as you have PS+.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Feenix posted:

While I'm griping' about free things, Space Marine is awful.
Now this is something we can all agree on. Multiplayer is at least kind of interesting, though.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Kilometers Davis posted:

I thought people generally liked Space Marine at launch. They liked it a lot.
Well okay, "awful" may be a bit much. Mechanically I think its actually a little compelling, the shooting is somewhat satisfying and they fuse it with some light brawling. Problem is the level design is totally at odds with the gameplay, and killing the same 3 or 4 enemy types the entire game gets old real fast. The multiplayer does a better job of highlighting the things that make the game unique, single player is just another mediocre shooter slog.

I rented it at launch and was pretty disappointed, can't imagine how I'd feel if I'd have actually bought it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Renegade Ops was pretty much top-down Just Cause 2 with 4 player coop, running on the same engine and everything. I wonder if that was like secretly a test case for their netcode or something.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Metal Gear Online was scientifically designed to let players be the coolest motherfuckers in videogames. Unfortunately, all of that coolness comes at the expense of other player's fun. If you aren't the guy who knows how to work the mechanics to your advantage you are probably going to have a lovely time, and if you haven't been playing obsessively since launch, you are not that guy.

I love MGO, but I fully acknowledge its probably not a very good game if only a quarter of people in any given game are actually having fun.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

MUFFlNS posted:

Criterion has taken over the Need For Speed franchise? Well gently caress, that's awful :( I guess the Burnout franchise is basically dead now :(
Thankfully the new Hot Pursuit looks a whole lot like Paradise.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Emalde posted:

I want to get a Move for RE6 and Dust, but holy god it's going to cost like a total of $100 for all of the necessary pieces (eye, move, navigation) and I can't justify that cost. :gonk:
The whole package has been on sale pretty often lately, I think they're trying to blow them out.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dominic White posted:

The quality of F2P games these days is pretty drat high.

It'll only improve further as competition gets tougher.
Yeah, but this doesn't sound like one of those, this business model looks more like something in between an arcade game and Zynga poo poo. You have to spend tokens to get into games, and you regenerate one every two hours up to a maximum of three free tokens. Of course, they will gladly sell you extra tokens at about a dollar a pop.

I don't mind playing and even occasionally putting money into reasonable F2Ps, but this one is just designed to suck your quarters away.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I always looked at credits in arcades as paying the operator for the service they provide rather than specifically paying for the game itself. For facilitating a place where people can play games socially, upkeep for when dumbasses abuse the cabinets, and to keep the lineup of games relatively fresh.

Not to mention arcade games in the 90s were objectively superior to the stuff we had on consoles, so it was almost like a luxury tax.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dominic White posted:

I got a ton more mileage out of arcade games when I realised that continuing nuked your high score. It's more fun to go the distance and try as hard as you can, knowing you've just got the one shot. More bragging rights, too.

Credit feeding always struck me as something for people with more money than sense.
What's the difference? You're still pumping quarters into machines. More quarters, in fact, since continues were usually cheaper than starting a new game.

Mainly though, the prospect of paying a dollar a game to play a fairly mediocre looking third person shooter isn't very exciting to me when there are better games I can play without having to take into consideration regressive business models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I just hope that they keep the US voicetrack for Yakuza 1 when it makes its way over here. Mark Hamil will always be the Majima of my heart :allears:

• Locked thread