Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Do you like Hayao Miyazaki/Studio Ghilibi films? Beautifully rendered scenery and quirky characters? Well then, you've probably heard of the upcoming RPG from Level 5, Ni no Kuni (Two Kingdoms/Worlds).

Level 5's just posted a brand new trailer here
The art style is great, it's basically a playable movie and it's drat charming too :3: Problem is, the battle system looks kinda bland.

Yeah, as much as I love the style, that combat doesn't look too promising. Still somewhat excited for this, but almost certain it won't see an NA release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Will Sony ever implement a thing where, when you download a PSN game, the file they give youis also up to date so you can just play it right away? I was going to give the Assassin's Creed beta a go, but right after I downloaded it, it told me I needed a patch already. God, it hasn't even been out for a week yet. I just left it for PS+ to auto-download.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
Yeah, exactly. or just download the patch along with the game itself.

Feenix posted:

A patch on a beta and it's only been a week?! How dare they?!
Umm, this is a good thing.

I actually realized that after I typed it, but my point still stands. The patch thing has happened with nearly every game I've gotten from the PSN, and actually happens pretty often to me with release-day disc-based games. I'm just kinda sick of it, and this was the latest in a long line of these things.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Also, really research Demons' Souls before buying it. It's not a bad game by any means, but it's not always gonna be your cup of tea.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

blackguy32 posted:

I agree with this. I have beaten a couple of the worlds, but I really have no burning desire to go back and play it again. I really hate the hub aspect of it because surprisingly, I really like King's Field.

This was pretty much my experience. I got through most of world 1 until it told me I had to do something else before advancing, then beat 3-1 and 2-1, but couldn't really get much farther, and I eventually just stopped caring.

The upside, though, is that it's a Greatest Hit, and you can get it for pretty cheap.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Palleon posted:

If a tactical WW2-esk RPG appeals to you, and you have a tolerance for anime, you might want to look at Valkyria Chronicles (the gameplay makes up for the really bad story).

Moo-oink!

I love Valkyria Chronicles, it's pretty much my favorite game this generation and favorite new IP, and I'll recommend it to anyone that likes SRPGs, but god-drat that pig. The entire game was incredibly anime, and sort of embarassing to be seen watching a cutscene, but that pig just pushed it over the line.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Policenaut posted:

Kinda sad that Valkyria Chronicles will never return to consoles. The third one was pretty grimdark compared to the first 2.

I don't really care about it returning to consoles with how powerful the Vita's looking to be. I just want them to come state-side again.:(

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Shalinor posted:

Eh, sure, Vita's powerful, but Vita is also still tiny and squint-prone.

I can't be the only one that won't touch Vita with a 10 foot pole but would buy a new Valkyria as a PSN game (with whatever visual bar they hit for Vita being super-powerful in ratio to its pixel count).

I don't even care what platform it's on at this point. Just release another one, and localize it. I will buy it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Ni No Kuni coming to America, aces! Don't think I turned on my PS3 after getting a decent PC since Mortal Kombat.

Who, wait, what? Where did you see this? Did I seriously skim the last few pages that poorly?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I always figured crouching/sneaking being the same button came more from the number of buttons on the controller. Like, you could have crouch and sneak as separate, but smoe other aspect of the game would lose fuctionality. If crouching has to mean sneaking for the rest of the game to work well and be fun, so be it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

ImpAtom posted:

Crouch = sneaky was around even on the PC. It's convenient but it didn't start on consoles. It really is just because isn't a convenient shorthand for "your character is being stealthy" more then anything else.

Oh. Well, whatever. It may not make a whole lot of sense, but I honestly don't see the big deal about it so long as it's fun. Also, there aren't many games I've played past the N64 era where crouching and moving kept you as low as possible. Most games raise you up a bit, and have it look a bit more like you were keeping low and walking purposefully than just nearly crawling.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Yeah, whoever told you it's the best thing on the PS3 was a liar. Maybe it was at the time it was released (hell, it was the reason I got my PS3), but so much has been released that is better that it's almost funny.

That, by no means, mean it's a bad game. Just not the best. And like the other 2 said, MGS3(Subsistence, if you can find it or feel like waiting for the DH collection) is the best of the series.

e: There are alot of plot elements that won't make sense unless you've played or read up on 2 and 3, and that takes alot out of the cutscenes, I think, of which there are many.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

the truth posted:

Buy the Uncharted double pack.

This, seriosuly. The MGS:HD collection is coming in November, so play the 2 Uncharted games, and maybe some other exclusives until then.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

iastudent posted:

Huh, so Burnout CRASH! is a top-down version of it. Otherwise I don't think I have any complaints about it.

Oh, man. That looks so bad. I'll try the demo, but I'm not really holding out any hope for it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

EC posted:

I watched the quick look on Giantbomb, and it looks kinda dumb. I dunno, my main Burnout game was Paradise, so I know I might be in the minority. I did try the 360 version of...3, maybe? The sense of speed was great, but I didn't particularly enjoy crash mode.

Paradise was the poo poo, though. Still is.

Crash mode in 3 was pretty much biggest "Party Game" my friends and I had in high school, and I was really angry when they took it out of Paradise. Burnout is definitely my favorite racing series, and I will pretty much buy any iteration at this point, but I was honestly hoping that this Burnout Crash was just going to be the old Crash mode.:(

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Zyklon B Zombie posted:

Really late, but I just finished up the first Infamous and liked it a lot. I really want to play the second one now, but I'm kind of anxious about how jarring the change of Cole is. I know he was a really generic character, but I liked him a lot. I do want to see where the story goes though. Also, there should be more super heroes that just wear normal clothes.

The change isn't anywhere near as significant as it was orignally intended to be.
Now, instead of a completely redesigned character, it feel more like Cole is finally going back to normal, growing his hair back and losing the extreme gruffness in his voice.

It's a hell of a lot of fun, regardless of the character redesign, and fixes alot fo things that were wrong with 1. Play it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
That's a clever way to enforce street dates.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

That's awesome.

The Bloodrayne demo was better than I expected! Great soundtrack and pretty fun combat. Gonna buy it.

Is Saints Row 2 a good buy at $20 [it's $20 on PSN right? or $30? Can't recall]? Always been really curious about it, and before anyone recommends it, I don't have a PC that can run it so I can't buy it on PC instead. :(

If you liked GTA4, but felt it could be a bit less about being realistic and a bit more about being fun, then you'll probably like it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Pablo Gigante posted:

Chrono Cross was a good game but let's not say things we can't take back

I've played neither game, but "I like them equally" does not mean "They are both objectively equally good".

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Attitude Indicator posted:

Look at the bozo who cares about new games. :cawg:

There are new games?

I mean, right now, I'm' playing Sly 2, have nearly finished No More Heroes: Heros' Paradise, and waiting for the Ico collection. I don't play new games, apparently.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Policenaut posted:

Double-posting for something new and maybe cool?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBuK3EcY6vk&hd=1

Sony America uploaded this teaser trailer today, but there's no indication as to what it's for. There's a plethora of game references strewn throughout it that can be read in detail.

Current running theories (that I've found Googling around) for this are:
  • PlayStation-based "Super Smash Bros" style fighting game
  • PlayStation Vita's American launch information blowout
  • PlayStation Home 2.0 with "Bootleggers" FPS (that thing where you can be Kratos and shoot Ratchet or something) update

October 5th isn't very far away at least!

I love and hate these types of teasers at the same time. I mean, it's only next Wednesday, but to put that much effort into a trailer, it must be for something at least relatively big. If it's the Sony Smash Bros, I don't know what I'll do. I'll be pretty excited if it's that Vita launch info, too. Not so much the 3rd thing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I didn't get far at all in Vanquish. I seriously don't have the reflexes to play it quickly, and I'm terrible at managing ammo and whatever that stamina bar is. It wasn't bad by any stretch of the imagination, and it looked nice enough. I jsut couldn't get into it.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

TaurusOxford posted:

If God Hand made it on the list, you can almost guarantee the other clover games will show up sooner or later.

I hope this happens, because I will buy Okami every time it's released until the end of time.

I also hope that these games can also be played on the Vita, because I would kill someone just to get a portable Okami that isn't a DS sequel.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Hirsute posted:

Also, does anyone else pronounce it "EYE-KO" instead of the correct "EE-KO?" I know it's wrong but that's how I pronounced it for years until I learned it was wrong, and now I refuse to pronounce it correctly.

Is "EYE-KO" not correct? I've been pronouncing it that way, too.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

axleblaze posted:

Okay, I currently am not sure what to believe. I talked to another guy on the phone and he said that the other person was confused and if I preordered it when it was in stock, I should end up getting it.

I don't know what to believe but I can hope :v: but it's almost midnight and it still hasn't loving shipped...so I'm still not that optimistic.

This happened to me with the Ico collection. I didn't get a shipping notification until the morning after it should've shipped, but still arrived the day it said it would. Don't be too worried until tomorrow morning when you still haven't gotten anything.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I don't mind Amazon, because most of the poo poo I pre-order is either standard edition, or a game nobody cares about. If I didn't have to deal with GameStop/EB Games specifically, and all of their dumb pre-order pushes and "new" game practices, I'd be fine with, and would probably prefer, buying at a brick-and-mortar shop.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Urban Achiever posted:

Great commercial until the whole 'Michael' thing.

This was pretty much what I was going to say. It seems like a waste of a really good commercial, even if I somewhat enjoy the premise.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Stare-Out posted:

Yeah, I get that it's supposed to mean 'you' as in the player that all the characters are cheering for, but they could've come up with something other than Michael. Hate that guy. Also no Kevin Butler.

In other news, holy poo poo Borderlands + all the DLC for 14 euros? How did I miss this?

I think there was actually some sort of contest for this. Like, "Send a picture of yourself playing your PS3 and an essay as to why we should pick you" tye fo thing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Code Jockey posted:

I still haven't finished New Vegas, so I can't play Deus Ex. :smith: Me and my new policy of don't play new poo poo until I beat what I'm currently on.

[I could probably finish New Vegas right now if I wanted, but I'm trying to do something... different to end it]

I should probably adopt a policy like this. I have a few unfinished RPGs, an unifnished Evil-side Infamous 2 playthrough, and a barely started GTA: The Lost and the Damned.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Shalinor posted:

Either go bulky sword dude, or no armor RAAAGH barbarian dude, or sword + magic dude. Don't try for thief mage, it just makes the game harder.

Well, this may be one of my problems with the game, then. Because I wasn't going for "dagger ninja" but "quiet mage who gets left alone", and it got to a point where I seriously couldn't advance any further.

I tried playing God Hand last night, and I can definitely see why someone would give it a low score, but I also didn't take nay time to read the manual, and didn't know I had a customizable move-set, so it sort of improved after that. I might start a new game again now that I sort of know what I'm doing, since I didn't get very far in this playthrough.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
As much as my interest faded for Demons' Souls, the Tower Knight was easily the most satisfying victory in a boss fight I've had in a very, very long time. There weren't any broken mechanics or physics, no unreasonably cheap moves, nothing you couldn't deal with so long as you had your wits about you. Simply strategy, luck, and dedication. I seriously dropped my controller and put my hands up in the air when I was done.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I think what ended up turning me off to more of Demon's Souls was that, after the Tower Knight, none of the other bosses gave me the same sense of triumph. the Fool's Idol was super-boring, and the Armor Spider was actually sort of broken in my opnion, so I wasn't having fun anymore. The areas after them were just a huge grind for me, so I just stopped and never went back.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I really want to pre-order the MGS HD collection, but I still don't know for sure if Vita transfarring will be available, much less available in the states. Has there been any recent news on this?

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Baggot posted:

It was confirmed on Konami's American website. We just don't know the details. I'm going to guess that it's likely they'll release a PSV version of MGS2&3 and you'll have to buy that separately, but the saves will transfer from the PS3 version and vice-versa.

I'm torn on whether to pre-order the LE of MGSHDC. $30 extra seems like a lot for just an art book.

Alright... Well... I'll probably order it anyway, because MGS3 is one of my all-time favorite games, and the HD screenshots look great. I haven't played Peace Walker, either, so it'll be nice to play an upgraded version.

I saw the LE, too. I do love the art of the MGS series, but I've paid about $30 for an art book before, but if it's like the book that came with the Assassin's Creed 2 LE, it's definitely not worth it.

e: Amazon's picture makes it look reasonably sized, if a bit on the small side.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Dominic White posted:

They seem to push people to do horrible things to themselves that nobody should ever consider doing for fun. And people do it. Why!? I could just about understand it if each achievement earned you a little store credit or something, but I've taken to disabling achievement notifications on the 360 now. They're just kinda annoying.

Even something in-game would be nice. That's what achievements used to be. Beat this track? Unlock this car. Kill this guy? Get this weapon. Beat a certain mode under a certain time? Unlock this character.

Now it's just Do any of those things, get a shiny picture. To get any of those rewards, buy some stuff.

Multiplayer trophies can go ahead and go gently caress themselves.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
Assassin's Creed 2 and Brotehrhood (and a few other Ubisoft games, I think) had UPlay set up, which was pretty neat. You'd do something in-game, get points for it, then unlock a little trinket that had no real bearing on the game, but was neat otherwise. Both games had Altaïr skins, and I think there were some new areas to explore, too. I wish more companies would do that.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY
I have 1 platinum trophy, and I didn't even know it until I decided to compare trophies with a friend. It's Sly Cooper.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Harlock posted:

Play Demon Souls, quit when you get to the fire breathing spider.

That's pretty much what I did. I think I managed about 4 or 5 bosses when I gave up trying to get to the next ones.

Code Jockey posted:

Hey Talkc, go get Yakuza 3 and 4! Those are good games and definitely on my "must play, justifies owning a PS3" list.

For those who say "Skip 3 go straight to 4" I say 3 provides a good amount of background for 4, is fun as hell, and saying that is roughly the same as saying to skip Uncharted 1 to play 2. Yakuza 3 is a great game; Yakuza 4 is a stellar one.

Yakuza 3 starts off with alot of boring stuff with the orphanage, though, and people that don't know about the core gameplay will be turned off by it. Tough it out! It's alot of fun!

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

blackguy32 posted:

Yakuza 2 spoiled me I guess.

Not every game can have a tiger punching segment.:)

I'm talking about coming into that Yakuza series fresh, though. 3's not a bad game, but the start is a bit slow in the first place, so it'll likely just be a complete drag for a newcomer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

I'M FEELING JIMMY

Stare-Out posted:

I won't be able to get Arkham City for at least another month thanks to preordering Uncharted 3, Assassin's Creed: Revelations and the Metal Gear Solid HD collection which ate up my game budget for the next month. I'm sure Arkham City is amazing but I felt I made the right decision. :colbert:

I'm holding out on MGS Collection (maybe waiting for Christmas, even) because I've been playing nothing but old games for a few months.

• Locked thread