Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
That codxp event looked pretty cool. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I know Stranglehold is an old game but so awesome[/random]

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I must be lame as hell but I'm really excited for MW3
Just downloaded OKABU

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I used to be a fan of SOCOM until it seems like Zipper stopped taking constructive input from fans. Now the series croaked and the PSN downtime didn't help. :qq:
I find COD's fast pace and arcade feel rewarding so maybe I'm a doomed nerd stuck in the vortex.

Where the Tekken fans at!?? (TTT2 :) )

SpacePig posted:

I haven't tried it out single-player, but OKABU is so much fun as a co-op game. My friend and i kinda have different methods towards playing games, but this one is pretty easy for us to get along on.

Also, we managed to find a way to break the game to give us infinite water within the first 5 minutes, and also found a palce in the first level where we fell through the level geometry. We thought we found a secret path or somehting.:(

Share your rain wisdom :)

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

BlindNinja posted:

Never really touched the Tag series, but I pop in T6 every now and again.

Do you play on PS3 or XBOX?

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

BlindNinja posted:

PS3. PSN is TheBlindNinja, if you wanna play some rounds some time.

PSN is Channin, your soul is mine

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

GreenBuckanneer posted:

So how is Uncharted 1? I've never played this game before, what should I expect? I'm thinking tomb raider?

Also how long is it?

Imagine firing rubber bullets at enemies from an AK-47 and that is what combat is like n_n

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Iskanderson posted:

So what are some games with local co-op or vs. that someone who has no real skill with video games will enjoy? Other than games like Scott Pilgrim or Castle Crashers, I mean. I've heard good things about Up and Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light.

Toro: Let's Party

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

poo poo, how did I forget this game exists. In English even! I have a Toro avatar I should own that game. gently caress!

Going to eBay right now to correct this fatal mistake.

It's a great buy. Should be cheap now and the minigames are cool

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Go get Tekken Hybrid for some Tekken Tag nostalgia! :)

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Mug posted:

I just put this in. It's so strange how you hit X on the game icon an it just opens the disk with 2 games inside and installs them to the hard drive. Do I need the disk in to play the games once they're installed?

Yep. You must have the disc in to play either game. Learned that this morning

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
MW3 has already lost it's luster to me. :( Back to dreaming about TTT2 on console

I said come in! posted:

Playing as Parappa the Rapper only. He is going to be so overpowered, just you wait.

Kick, punch, it's all in the mind~

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

MUFFlNS posted:

There's a billboard in Times Square that's advertising the Spike VGAs and mentions the exclusive reveal of a "PS3 exclusive you won't believe". Money seems to be on either God of War 4 or the Sony Smash Bros game. Since it appears that work on the Smash Bros game is still in the early stages I'm assuming they'll save the reveal for that until E3 so perhaps it will be God of War 4?

Or they could completely blindside us all with something we really didn't see coming at all, like Lair 2 with 3D and Move support?! :D

Smash Bros style game would be a big hit. If you've ever shown up to a tournament where it's featured the following is pretty unbelievable

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

Yoshinori Kitase just did an interview this week about what he'd do with an FF7 remake while talking to Official Xbox Magazine Japan. I don't think Western media picked the story up, but I recall him saying "I wouldn't add/remove a thing"

vvv drat, I need to go back and grab a dictionary again. Thanks!

After so many years I would be happy to just have it actually happen

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
MGO was cool minus the Konami ID thing. I hope it returns

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

I would have played MGO a hell of a lot more if it didn't have Konami ID, god awful hit stun, and invincibility frames. Seriously, what the gently caress how could Konami make an online shooter with invincibility frames and hit stun?! It's like a worse version of Lost Planet.

Konami ID was scrapped for future games. The customization was really cool. Let's hope if MGO is renewed and not a co-op online single player that it's better. Such great potential!

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Please make PaRappa on PS3, not old ones or UmJammer :banjo:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Are the lot of you going to renew your PlayStation+ subscriptions?

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
I recommend Allstar Yakyukken Battle. Why play popular titles when Japanese dvd players games are judt as good? And they take their clothes off if you win :cheers:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Morpheus posted:

Oh what the gently caress did I just look up.

Edit: I got Yakyuu (baseball) mixed up with Yakyukken (rock-paper-scissors) so I was all "What's this baseball game?" and it is not a baseball game no it is not.

3 strikes and you're out. Close enough

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Fuzz posted:

So E3 registration opened today and I got an alumni email saying I wouldn't need to submit my industry credentials again if they hadn't changed. On a lark, I registered and... uh... got my confirmation. Guess I get to go to E3 again?

Thanks, Sony contest. The gift that keeps on giving. :haw:

What are your industry credentials? :wth:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

tooooooo bad posted:

1942 was released by Capcom in 1984 and is a video game about an American fighter pilot blowing up the Japanese air fleet on his way to Tokyo. :japan:

They made up for this by trying to make the most American looking Street Fighter be Japanese :)

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Samurai Sanders posted:

Guile? Or Ken? I'm not following you...

Ken

Guile looks like kpop

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
Anyone give the new GoldenEye a run yet?

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Parkingtigers posted:

I wanted to say thanks to the goons that touted the Yakuza series as being a spiritual successor to Shenmue. Decided to fire up Yakuza 3 for the first time tonight (having only watched the recaps of Yakuza 1 and 2 before) and I got an instant, INSTANT Shenmue vibe from it. I'm only a very short time into it, but even in these opening moments I can tell this is a game I've been looking for for a long time. The fight tutorial saw me beating up some street punks with a bicycle. Then I opened up the side quest menu to see there is a checklist for eating 259 different foods. That's just weird enough to excite me.

Oh man, this is going to be good times. I can't remember who it was that compared this to Shenmue, which pushed me over the edge, but THANK YOU! Despite playing this for the first time tonight, I'm getting an instant nostalgic feeling about it.

http://www.youtube.com/user/LInsomnie?feature=mhum

My page is loaded with Yakuza 3 videos. Also, ryled on youtube made a pretty awesome walkthrough you can easily find anywhere on the net. His name is Patrick!

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Parkingtigers posted:

I'm loving Yakuza 3, it's so deliciously old-fashioned in some ways. I honestly don't know why I found it a source of delight to find real world alcohol brands in the bar, and when I order a drink the bartender basically gives me a sales pitch for the brand. It's loving hilarious, and now I need to buy ALL the drinks to see how much he wants to shill Beefeater gin. Oh Japan, never change.

I should probably get back to those kids at the orphanage, but I got distracted by a whole bunch of street fights (and I love the way a crowd forms while you square off against the cocky street thugs) and I found the gambling house. A gambling house filled with incomprehensible games that I somehow made a profit on.

Man these shops sell a lot of random poo poo, and I have no idea what any of it is for. This too delights me for reasons I can't explain. I need to find a bait shop of some kind, because fishing mini-games always reel me in. I must have spent ages back in the day catching that giant fish in the Ocarina of Time fishing pond.

The only downside to the game is that it isn't fully voice acted. Ah well, I can live with a bit of text, but it's always sad to be really into something then suddenly it takes that step down in production values. It's worse for a Japanese game as at least with English audio I can hear the text in their voices.

Overall though, top notch game.

Edit: Several hours on and, holy crap, this game must gets better. I thought the brawling was competent yet not overly brilliant, but then I got into the first really long fight with weapons at the end of chapter 3. God drat that was awesome. I'm throwing guys out of windows, I'm chopping people up with swords, I'm twirling a staff around like a total badass ... where has this game been all my life?

I thought that I had screwed myself at one point as I'm out of practice with games that have manual save points, and when I got through to the boss at the end of that building invasion I wasn't carrying much in the way of health restoring items. Plus I'm playing on hard. Had to fight him quite a few times before I finally took him down, and I've resolved in the future to save more often and to not be walking around with pockets full of freshly caught fish when I should be carrying food.

The awesome fight was made even more awesome by the fact that I had just discovered the karaoke bar just beforehand. Yes, I delayed a rescue mission just so I could sing some J-pop tunes. This game is nanas, in the best possible way.

I also really like how it does QTEs too, in fact I would go so far as to say it does them the only way they should be used: in the middle of fights as a "think fast" reaction to a special attack.

Took the girl to a late-night karaoke session just now. Then I'm going to buy her some ice cream and take her home. What a great game.

If you had the Japanese ver, you could play some cool side missions like the hostess clubs http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3BMzl9frz8&feature=channel_video_title

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

huhwhat posted:

I'm looking to get into the Yakuza and D* Souls series.

Which games would you guys recommend I start with first? Yakuza 3 or 4? Demon's Souls or Dark Souls?

I intend to eventually play through all 4 games.

Start with Yakuza 3. If you don't want to do the side missions you can very easily run through the entire storyline in a very short period. It's very straightfoward

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Surlaw posted:

That sounds like a terrible translation for "Soul Edge has changed form again (like it does in almost every game in the series)." I guarantee "guys trying to find out why their swords are short" is not the game's story. I mean, the story will still be terrible and who cares about story in fighting games anyway, but even Namco isn't that bad.

No one can say whether the custom character sets will be inferior but yes.

It must be difficult to drag on a story with character relationships

In TTT2 they're having to resort to Heihachi finding a way to restore his youth

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Cartoon Man posted:

The arcade versions of House of the Dead 3 and 4 are coming to PSN soon with Move support.

http://kotaku.com/5873252/house-of-the-dead-arcade-games-coming-to-the-ps3

On Wii, House of the Dead was awful :ohdear: Let hope it's better on PS3

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax
FF7 remake will come long after we're all dead and Square really needs the money

p.s. Aeris ain't dead :whatup:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

Bayonetta was delayed only three months (October in Japan, January overseas) pretty much to avoid being destroyed by the Holiday rush that happens every year. Like the game was finished, gone gold.

Sega sometimes sits on finished games for awhile, like Alpha Protocol was delayed for months on end because they wanted it on like a different quarter's earnings reports or something of that nature.

Did you like Alpha Protocol at all?

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

I have a Platinum on it, so yeah I had fun with it.

Do you just like it because it's by Sega or do you actually enjoy it because I was falling asleep fast. Mass Effect was much better. Even MGS4 was better :qq:

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Ineffiable posted:

Also in the same game is a sidequest where a Yakuza leader invites you into a host club, then it turns out he has a baby fetish and his associates attack you while they're wearing diapers because your main character doesn't like this baby fetish.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rgi96wUrkJw&t=116s

He should go for it

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

It is on the PSN, in Japan. Because Japan loves their PS1 Classics. Yeah I checked the version they have isn't in English or anything.

I wish we had nearly all they had because the collection is extensive an some of those games are really fun. Ore no Ryouri in particular was cool~

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

BlindNinja posted:

There was a moderately steep learning curve in the original, from getting Bronze medals to Gold medals. I'm sure that's pretty much the same with the new one. However from what I've seen/heard it seems like it might be a little easier overall. What with the one-button trick execution (heard this here I believe), rewind feature (seen in the above Trick It video), and being able to withstand more bumps and bruises (before you could drop your combo pretty easily by hitting cliff sides or what have you at the wrong angle, not so in these videos). That last part may be a product of A)a good player, B) a character that is upgraded with higher Stability, or C) more forgiving physics.

So basically, it should be easy to get into, and once you get hooked, may be a little grindy (in all the right ways) as you try to get better, earn better medals and beat high scores.

ninja edit: no pun intended

What is your PSN right now speaking of FGs. I'm on Tekken right now if you're down to get whipped :D

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

SpacePig posted:

Triple Triad was fun as hell, but I was so bad at it.

Final Fantasy VIII was my first FF game because I saw it in a store, misread the Roman numeral and thought it was VII. I actually had a lot of fun with it, and is the only FF game I have played anywhere near to completion. I got stuck on disk 3 fighting some self-healing robot thing that I was nowhere near high leveled enough to fight. I never really went back because it had been a huge time investment and I honestly didn't care anymore.

The frustrating part is that you couldn't transform your cards into valuable high level magic or items to make junction spells or create powerful weapons and expect to continue collecting rare cards :sweatdrop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whip
Apr 9, 2007

by Lowtax

Policenaut posted:

Yakuza 4 has a bunch of recap videos for 1 through 3 in the main menu, so you get the broadstrokes of what happened in each game.

Play the Yakuza games for karaoke!

• Locked thread