Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Electromax
May 6, 2007
Yeah, no way they'll turn off the servers right before the sequel comes out. There'll no doubt be newcomers who love Dark Souls that want to go back and try the predecessor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
You guys are aware of Siren Blood Curse on the PSN right? I think it's an HD reimagining of the first game, but I liked it a lot more than that, and it's pretty creepy.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
At first I didn't like Dark Souls for that reason as well, I liked being able to get back to the Nexus for R&R after a big victory and Dark Souls just leaves you hanging after killing a huge boss... no teleport to bonfire, no health refill, no new bonfire appearing where their corpse was, nothing. The victory can be bittersweet because you're still basically f'd and nervous to continue (I know, part of the appeal).

Now that I'm further into the game, I like it more now because somehow the bosses feel more integrated, with their rooms still serving purposes as traversal regions instead of just the endpoints for a long, roughly linear path like Demon's.

I think now I just slightly prefer the Nexus, although I definitely agree with the above that deaths are way better now for the most part (thank the devs for that bonfire 20 feet from Stray Demon's place). That said, god I'm sick of running through Undead Burg, I need to stop using that to get everywhere.

Electromax fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Oct 10, 2011

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Resident Evil 5 Gold and Super Street Fighter 4 both (I think) unlock stuff if you have save files from the original versions, not 100% sure about RE5 though.

Edit: But I guess that's more "thanks for paying for this twice".

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Megasabin posted:

It would be incredibly disappointing if they picked a city they've already used yet again.

Agreed. GTA4 looked pretty at the time and San Andreas in HD would be cool but it wouldn't have anywhere near the same jaw drop as something new, like a non-American city or Alaska as mentioned above or the dusty Texas badlands (with horses from RDR :)).

That said, it would be hilarious if it was Liberty City again.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Vanquish is best approached like Ikaruga - if you get it cheap, and replay chapters with an eye on score/performance/having fun and not story or playing through it as a whole each time, it can be kinda fun. But I'm glad I got it used for $15 and would've been annoyed if it was more than 20.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

What is it about Silent Hill that drives its fans into a frothing rage about the series? I enjoy the games for what they are but the fans take it to a whole new level with witch hunts about what is silent hill and what isn't.

I just had a sudden mental image of a bunch of villagers going on a witch hunt through a creepy SH-forest chasing the player, then I remembered RE4. Something like an RE4 without guns might be cool and scary. Then I remembered Shattered Memories.

I wonder if there's a happy medium there. Or, in general, do you guys find scary games more effective with more enemies directly around you, or fewer enemies in a creepy atmosphere?

I thought Clock Tower on SNES did a great job being a creepy 16 bit game, and it had a powerless protagonist. Somehow I also find SH1 scarier than the modern ones, despite being pretty similar environmentally and thematically. Amnesia was another good one that forced you to hide. I haven't played a game that features lots of enemies and combat that's been scary for me (Dead Space was never very scary when you had all those guns), but they seem to keep making them.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Feenix posted:

Hey guys let's take down PSN when every one is home and wanting to play.

Idiots.

Could it be because noon pacific in the US is like 2am Monday in Japan? (Honest question, IDK what the actual time is)

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Honey Badger posted:

Do I need to play through Uncharted before I try Uncharted 2? I've heard the first one has not aged well at all, but I figure if I play it first I might not notice. Then again if it totally sucks now and I don't need to play it to understand whats going on in the sequel, I'd probably just skip it.

Just replayed it after 2 and 3 and it was still great. People are so harsh nowadays, a 2007 PS3 game "hasn't aged well" maybe compared to UC2, not to compared to pretty much any game before the current generation. It's lovely unless you expect it to be better than its sequels. The gunplay and traversal isn't for everyone, but that's true of the other 2 games as well.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Seems too soon for a big Uncharted announcement doesn't it? Vita one is fresh on the shelves and UC3 just came out last November IIRC. Seems like they'd at least wait until E3, unless it's a spinoff or non-main game (maybe akin to that card game expansion for the Vita game)?

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I might be in the minority (?) but I thought UC3's multiplayer was a big improvment to UC2's. I don't know what it is but something about that 3rd person traversal-heavy MP style really clicked with me, I loved them more than any FPS I've ever played and I've put in more time than all of the combined.

The SP doesn't stick out as much for me in any of the games, I'll load up the highlight levels sometimes but don't remember much of the stories for any of them. Basically if someone mentions the games, my mental picture is 1: fort, jungle 2: snow, train, helicopters 3: fire, ocean, horses. The stories are fun but IMO none of them are memorable, although the acting and production quality are obviously top-notch.

2 is the best but it's a pretty slim margin between 2 and 3. At the point where they're cheap I would say there isn't a compelling reason to not have both if you like that sort of game.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mindey Tyrone posted:

I just got Uncharted 3. Is multiplayer still alive?

It definitely is, but if you're starting out don't turn DLC on or worry about it early on, it's stacked with high-level players.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Mindey Tyrone posted:

How bad is the advantage high level players get ._. I just mostly wanna do co-op really...

Not sure how big the flat weapons/boosters advantage is, but knowledge of the maps and how groups (lots of teams of 4-5 in DLC TDM) flow around maps is pretty essential, especially if you're with a group of individual players. Co-op isn't as big of a deal, you can have fun hopping in with others at any level.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

SpacePig posted:

THPS 1+2 HD being released 8.28. These are two of my favorite PS1 games, and I'm stupid excited for this.

If you haven't played them in years and want a good nostalgia trip you'll get it here, but as you probably read in that link (and heads up if not) it isn't quite THPS 1+2 HD, it's a mix of levels from both. The levels are generally from the first halves of these games and the two warehouses alone are pretty much worth it for some folks, but you won't get all of both of them.

I think the first DLC is supposed to be THPS3 levels also.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Play UC1 and 2. Skip 3. At least if you don't care about multiplayer.

I don't agree with this at all. If you were going to skip any of them on an arbitrary basis (ie you don't care about the stories or order) skip 1, 3 is leaps and bounds above it.

I get that people were disappointed 3 didn't have the impact 2 had when you first sat down to play it for most folks, but if 3 had come out as the second game it would have still been one of the most amazing games ever, visually, technically, whatever. It would've had about the same reception 2 did. It's just that 2 was so near-perfect that people just looked at 3 compared to 2 and decided it didn't do everything better.

IMO you could pool every video game that's come out and UC3 would be one of the finer experiences out there, goony hyperbole aside. The fact that, from about 1990-2009 it would've been one of the pinnacles of games but since it had to come out after UC2 goons talk about it like it's worthless is mind boggling to me. It's still better than most PS3 games and I sort of think of it as a sister game to 2 rather than a sequel - both had things that were better or worse than the other.

Just my $0.02 but I don't know why UC1 is worth recommending it to slog through all those ruins and jungles and annoying segments, but suddenly UC3 deserves to be skipped for those very same flaws despite the pretty lovely boat sequence, caravan bit, the chateau... seems so arbitrary. Personally I played through UC1 again just last month and haven't touched UC3 SP since it came out, but I could name almost every level from 3 and 1 I just think of a lot of crumbly stone ruins and olive green. Just bums me out that people recommend 1 over 3 so much, I see 1 as a lesser prototype for the games 2 and 3 became in every way except the plot (I guess). And even then, 3's plot is a bit more meandering but I thought the script itself and the one-liners from your NPC sidekicks were just as sharply written.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

TaurusOxford posted:

FOX news is gonna have a field day with this one...

Just say it was named after the biblical Whore of Babylon. Invoking the Bible can shut those dudes up.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Flopstick posted:

I wasn't really entertained by Peace Walker, and I can't get very excited about another historical MGS. And if it's open world I assume it will be riddled with side quests, and I really hate side quests.

I didn't like Bayonetta, so I assume I'll not like Revengeance either. Can someone please make a proper MGS game for the rest of us?

MGS3 was a "historical" MGS and many consider that the best one. I'd wait until we know more than one picture and 2 sentences about MGSGZ become writing it off as not a proper MGS. 3 and 4 were both described as more open before release, and look how accurate that was.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

ElwoodCuse posted:

The Supreme Court said the NFL could be sued under antitrust law over their exclusive contract with Reebok to make hats and now several companies are allowed to.

The Madden license could probably go the same way but good luck making money on a competitor to Madden.

Interesting. I'm surprised video games wouldn't have fallen into the same bin as apparel and merchandise in terms of licensing, but I bet an alternative game like Blitz could find a niche.

Hell, gimme a football RPG like Mario Golf where real NFL players join your team with randomized fake personas and catchphrases that makes me laugh, play football against monsters as the Bears and level up and I'd try that over Madden.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ineffiable posted:

You can farm those pvp related items offline.

I think you really just have to farm harpies/basilisks for about 2 hours apiece and everything else you can get in 2.5 playthroughs.

Demon's needed 3.5 if I recall right.

As I just did it recently, Demon's can be done basically in 1.2 playthroughs. You get 98% of things first time through, the second playthrough you just need to beat up to 1-3 I think to get the spell that uses the final boss soul. Everything else can be done on your very first playthrough, if you're mindful of world tendencies and saving NPCs.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Parkingtigers posted:

you might as well speedrun the story knowing that anything you don't like about it is going to be fixed in the sequels. You do end up enjoying the sequels more for that bit of extra background, and also for the control improvements.

It also depends on why someone is asking whether a game is worth skipping. Like plot wise, your advice makes sense. But for me, I really only have time for a few hours of gaming a week nowadays and if I want to maximize the enjoyment of playing in the literal sense,, advice saying 'play it so you appreciate 2 more, and for cutscenes' rings flat because even speedrunning a game better be worth it if it's gonna consume 2 or 3 of the 4 sessions I have per week, aka not just for story.

Like when people ask about uncharted 1. Great game and I enjoyed it but if you're short on time skip it, story is fun but the actual game does nothing better than 2 and 3. The notion of completionism in a series doesn't work if the person doesn't share that compulsion, attraction to story, etc. If you highly value your time you aren't going to play a game just for the sake of the making the sequels seem better.

That's probably obvious though and, as I alluded to above, only applies to a specific type of person just as your advice does.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Ybrik posted:

Is it really called Dark Souls 2? I was kinda hoping they would keep the [ ] Souls naming scheme.

Well they changed from Demon's because Sony owns that brand technically, for all we know DkS would have been demon's souls 2 if not. They probably want to capitalize on name recognition now.

But yeah, I agree. I feel like it also impacts how much they can change things between titles, or how much familiarity players expect.

;efb

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Holy poo poo, right analog stick camera control alone would flip the script on those games.

Shadow Tower Abyss was a successor to Kings Field on PS2 that allowed that. You even got a gun. It's probably IMO the best KF style game out there, better than KF 4.

I remember Eternal Ring was another launch PS2 game that was essentially KF with another name. Can't remember much about it though.

Edit- best classic KF game I should say, ala KF 1-4

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Aardark posted:

Meh... Zelda games offer about as much sense of exploration as a package tour.

I think Zelda 1 could be compared to DkS in some ways. You're plopped into an area with a vague overall goal (find Ganon/ring Bells), a guy nearby to talk to (sword guy/sad dude) and you can pick a direction and go. In Zelda you'll encounter physical barriers to the later dungeons like water, stones, or lack of the proper item. In DkS you'll encounter locked doors or (more likely) an enemy that kills you in one hit. You can definitely get a sense in both games "wow, I'm getting pretty far out of Kansas here" even without a map or a broader awareness of where you are in the grand scheme.

I think they both offer that feeling of awe when you finally make the discovery you've been searching for, whether it's the temple hidden under the pond or Sif's shrine deep in the forest.

I never felt much exploration in OoT or the Zeldas after that as you're obviously just directed to the next town (and in WW, TP, SS there is EXTREME rail-roading and prevention of sequence breaks or discovery) but I think the earlier ones do. I guess that applies to a lot of NES games though, which again remind me of DkS in that the manual wasn't always super helpful. Sure you could learn the buttons and enemy names, but not "when you start a new game, your first task should be [x]". Too many games IMO do the first-hour tutorial, which I guess expands the potential audience but it also stops you from using brain cells for a while. I wish WW had started out with Link in a boat, and a short narrative saying "Link's sister is missing, and he sets out in search of..." and bam, you just start. Now I get to set through a long-rear end "here's how the analog stick works" sequence in each new game because developers think they're the next Coppola. I think more games should do the hands-off approach, with an OPTION to get more direction.

IDK what my point is, except that DkS can be frustrating at times but it would've felt a lot less fulfilling to finally beat O+S or find the bottom of Blighttown if Navi was constantly popping up reminding you of basic game information. Make stuff like that optional please.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

blackguy32 posted:

It was easier in different ways. You could easily make many enemies a joke in Demon's Souls by simply using a ranged weapon or magic.

I really don't find the charm in the difficulty though. I find it in the mechanics in how your character moves and attacks.

The difficulty charmed me when I first got Demon's Souls in combination the earnest yet fluid animation/control style. I think the difficulty complements the controls well because your movements and attacks are so precise, minimal and predictable, so you feel like you control your destiny against high-risk enemies. Many "difficult" games are that way for me because of cheap/old stuff (Battletoads, TMNT) or imprecise combat (God of War's hardest mode often left me feeling like the game worked against me, rather than missing a block). DS often left me thinking about "next time I'll dodge this way against that attack" or "I need to keep back another few steps." I'm not used to a game making me so keenly aware of the difference between striking a skeleton at 45 degrees vs. 90 degrees from his front.

I am also rarely so excited to reach a new area solely to see what the monsters look like. Will it be big and slow, will it shoot things, will little helpers surround me and slow me down? Many lauded combat engines like DMC3 and Batman AA don't have this effect on me. So many enemies had different techniques to maneuver the encounters beyond 'lock on, run to face, mash attack'.

But another for both games is the dark fantasy mood which I rarely think is done so well in games. I don't care for "high fantasy" games like the Elder Scrolls series where you meander through nice Tolkien forests to hear lords monologue for 15 minutes, and Dark Souls sticks to its guns in every respect. Your character is anonymous and silent, most NPCs don't have much to say and don't trust you anyway, none of the bosses say a word before the fight and music is only used in confrontations (and even then it's generally sinister or understated). You quietly face off against dangerous monsters across the landscape without bright green hitsparks and swing paths (I feel like many JP games especially love these, it would take a lot out of the game) and tons of miniquest-lines and collectible wolf pelts. It speaks to my priorities with more limited game time as an adult now I guess, I couldn't finish GTA4 or Dragon's Dogma or a lot of other games that made the pulse of the main story goals too weak for me.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I'm probably way behind, but isn't that an NA or PAL box? Why did the subtitle get translated while Ni No Kuni is still in (presumably) Japanese? Wouldn't that hurt sales somewhat? Never liked SMT decision to do that either. What does it translate to?

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Uncharted 3 tried really hard to be uncharted and fell way short. I'm glad that at least someone else is stepping up to the plate.

Oh please, you might as well say UC1 fell "well short" then too. Maybe it wasn't UC2 quality jump again but to say it fell way short of being uncharted doesn't make sense, it was UC2 with sand instead of snow. I feel like most people's complaints, which there were a TON in the UC3 thread, was that it was TOO similar to UC2/predictable.

Love the TR good vibes, I still play TR1-3 regularly and it would be nice for the franchise to make a comeback to the VG forefront. Legend was fun but I didn't really enjoy Underworld enough to finish it.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Speaking of UC3, rumors on ND's comment board of their article about a 1.17 patch today say ND is expected to make it free to play tomorrow with the PSN update. The patch gave disc owners a little paw icon by their names to differentiate.

Hopefully we can agree the multiplayer was pretty fun at least.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Harlock posted:

..The Rocketeer?

Ha! That was my first thought as well... the guy's outfit plus the zeppelin-esque propeller in the second shot. A Rocketeer game could be neat, although nowadays it would probably end up a bit like Iron Man and Captain America mashed together given how popular those movies were.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
While FF7 may be the first game I was obsessed with, Wild Arms on PS1 will always have a special place in my heart that FF7 doesn't. Snatch that game up if you can stomach old JRPGs and you have a Vita.

Something about the vibe of that game - the chill frontier motif and the music with the whistling and the zelda-lite dungeons were great, I feel like that game could be legendary if it had come out on SNES with 2D fight graphics. It pretty quickly fell behind after FF7 hit though, it seems. Only 3 protagonists who are partied up pretty much the entire game, but similar to FF6 in some ways. It had optional super-bosses that you reached in a lot of different ways, an arena/colosseum, several different map vehicles including a giant walking robot, a not-terrible story that didn't delve into too much JRPG teen angst stuff, and some of it got pretty tough. It ain't pretty in battle anymore though.

Most of that holds for Wild Arms 2 also.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
I've been really enjoying TR, although I loved all the others too for the most part (and Uncharted). The game's not difficult but I don't didn't really expect it to be - if it used TRI's difficulty model there would just be two kinds of jumps and tons of falls to your death and you would have to manually save every so often or lose progress.

I would love it if they had done that, but I can imagine all the bitching we would have to wade through about "Crystal Dynamics is too stupid to figure out autosave". I've been stuck in the Cistern level for a few weeks in the original and I've forgotten where I was in that level progress-wise, so I either need to restart or retrace my steps. I enjoy it for the puzzle complexity but I can't say I don't enjoy the new TR for omitting it and just saying "let me show you to all the cool things I have to offer, here navigate this". The feeling of turning on the game and immediately progressing to new places instead of saying "alright let's try this boulder sprint to backflip shimmy for the 9th time."

I think they're both great in their own way. It might not be worth $60 to you if you only play through games once though, although I haven't tried the multiplayer. I've heard it's similar to UC3 but slightly less polished, I've already sunk enough time into UC3 MP that I don't want to get addicted to this one too. I'm happy with the $50 steam price though, I'm about 8 hours in and I don't get the sense I'm near the end really.

I would say, old TRs have logic puzzles that typically involve pushing blocks and pulling switches and running through things. The new TR prefers physics puzzles involving weights, smashing things and navigating ledges. The old TRs' combat was a chore with basically one enemy that came in different sizes and skins (that tries to bump into you) and more difficulty just meant faster/does more damage. (with the exception of T-Rex and bosses) The new TR has more fun-oriented combat with basically one enemy that has different weapons and behaviors, but you're frequently placed behind them or near explosive barrels or other environmental sugar that lets Lara feel like a badass with ease. Both have their appeal, but if TRI-3 played like the over-the-shoulder-aim style combat would be trivial/non-existent.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Playing Vanquish on God Hard is ridiculous, this is probably past DMC3 DMD levels. I got it free on PS+ and decided to beat it a few times before moving on to MGR which I got during the recent sale with DLC. You die basically in 1 hit... This and Challenge 6 are humbling me.

Man, Vanquish is the bees knees though. Can't believe I sold my physical copy years ago that I got for $8 without even beating Act 2, can't remember why. I definitely "get" the game now though. Can't tear away to play Metal Gear! Nothing like slideboost slowmo flipkick exploding a giant-bot.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Scyron posted:

Holy crap that looks just awful. Original, but awful. I'm just going to stay with Uncharted 3 MP.

I guess it is nice to know I can hold off playing the game until it is rented, or is super cheap next year.

What looks awful about it? Doesn't look as fun as UC3 to me, but looked like a perfectly serviceable team shooter. You kill people and craft stuff, you just don't climb around everything like a monkey.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Uncharted 2 and Dark Souls approach 10/10 for me, with Demon's close behind. Those games will be on my replay list for a looooong time.

Journey was OK but I disagree with all the hyperbole about it, it was pretty and engaging but I didn't find wandering around with mute strangers super compelling. I got about the same as I got out of Flower, gorgeous and unique but it didn't flip my entire worldview or whatever. I wouldn't recommend it to everyone. As a game there wasn't much to it. I haven't played since the week or two after launch though.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
The video looks neat but I was sort of hoping they would ease up on the side BS. I personally thought shooting pool/darts/whatever in GTA4 sucked and was mildly annoyed you were forced to do each of them once, and they are showing golf and stuff in this game now. Maybe it'll be awesome, but to me it's like, Tiger Woods is a thing, tennis games are a thing, you're already making a huge open world game, why do they always want to devote developer time to that stuff that in the past has been sort of half-assed? I didn't care for poker in RDR either. Like the next game you can join the Los Santos football team as a tailback or something and they'll have a poorly engineered Madden equivalent.

I'm sure there are folks who love these minigames, and I can't complain if you can just ignore them obviously, but previous games suggest an early mission to introduce you to the dating mechanics/getting fat mechanics/bowling mechanics when I want to get to the heisting.

I guess as long as friends aren't constantly calling you asking to go see some titties, and you can generally ignore that side stuff, that's fine, but please don't have missions where you have to golf 3 holes or whatever. Those are always dull moments to me in a game full of mayhem and sandbox fun.

Basejumping however, looks wonderful. My current favorite GTA memories were taking all kinds of vehicles off the peak of Chiliad and messing around in the abandoned airfield and surrounding mesas in SA. The feeling of altitude in some of the video looks intense.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

HampHamp posted:

I'm not much of a trophy hunter, but when I love a game I like to try for the platinum. I'm currently playing Demon's Souls, well on my way to the platinum, but I cannot for the life of me get this pure Bladestone to drop. Is it possible for someone with duplicates to help me out? All I can really offer in return is one of the other pures or maybe a unique weapon to hold.

I'm in Europe, SL is 120 or so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just recently did this, but you probably want to try the Demon's thread if you haven't already (or maybe the PS3 Dark Souls thread if not there).

I had trouble finding people at my SL of 240, but you should be golden at 120. For what it's worth I finally ended up finding someone on the GameFAQs board (yuck) who gave it and Pure Darkmoonstone to me in about 10 minutes.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Rinkles posted:

From GAF

So a PS3 game? :|

Ratchet and Clank x Demon's Souls crossover, here we come!

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Austrian mook posted:

I looked through the trophies for TLOU and I saw those last few. gently caress off Naughty Dog. I don't like online multiplayer. I just don't. gently caress off.

Naughty Dog isn't forcing you to get them... But if your OCD compels you, should've looked at the trophy list beforehand!

Haven't tried MP yet but before release ND seemed to think they had a special MP on their hands. I can see why they'd try to steer people to it if that's the case.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Didn't see posts/a thread about this so sorry if there is, but Polygon ran a pretty interesting article about online harassment and gamer entitlement today:
http://www.polygon.com/2013/8/15/4622252/plague-of-game-dev-harassment-erodes-industry-spurs-support-groups

Fairly depressing, makes you sad for humanity. People are strange beasts.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Parker Lewis posted:

I traded in my 360 for a PS3 two months ago in the afterglow of Sony's E3 glory. I didn't own a PS2 or PS3 so I figured I'd catch up on Sony exclusives for a while (cross-platform games get played on my PC) by picking up the HD remakes and collections that have come out over the past few years.

So far it's been a mixed bag. The God of War HD remakes hold up well, and the Uncharted games have been great. But Jak & Daxter HD feels pretty dated and the old school 3D platformer camera makes me motion sick. I'm also questioning if I really need to be such a completionist and play every game in every series that I missed out on.

My "to play" list consists of:
  • Jak & Daxter 1-3 HD
  • Ratchet & Clank 1-3 HD, maybe the two R&C PS3 games
  • Sly Cooper 1-3 HD
  • ICO & Shadow of the Colossus HD
  • Killzone Trilogy Collection
  • Metal Gear Solid Legacy Collection
  • inFAMOUS Collection
  • Resistance Collection
Any general guidance on which of these series aren't necessarily must-plays? Any that I should make sure to check out?

My personal taste would suggest that Shadow of the Colossus and the MGS games are 'must plays' from that list. If I had to pick one, the MGS games would be it no question, they're pretty unique video game experiences the first time through. ICO is fun but fairly short, probably 4-8 hours.

Killzone and Resistance never did much for me, but if you love FPS games I'd start with Killzone as it's a bit more of a flagship for PS3 than Resistance. R1 in particular is pretty dated.

Sly Cooper and Ratchet might have some of the same issues as Jak does, PS2 platformers that might've aged a bit clunky. I like Jak 1 a lot but 2 and 3 are a bit different have a GTA-esque overworld which felt a bit odd to me. If you don't like Sly 1, you can skip the others. It might be a good idea to skip the R&C collection and just try the PS3 versions.

Infamous was alright, another open-world game that some folks love but didn't do much for me. It reminds me more of the old PS1/PS2 spiderman games than anything else, but with a darker tone and a big open world. It might be right up your alley but I played about 1/3 of #1 and never tried #2.

You already tried Uncharted games, if you like RPGs and you enjoyed Dark Souls then don't miss Demon's Souls (or both if you like RPGs and missed them). God of War 3 is great if you liked the HD collection. Little Big Planet 2 is also pretty great but I have no idea if they playerbase is still active a couple years out.

On the PSN, I would recomment Journey, Wipeout HD and Super Stardust HD as fairly cheap, pretty and engaging downloadable exclusives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007
TLOU wasn't perfect, but at this point I think all stealth games are basically "observe route, sneak up". I've played all the MGS games, Splinter Cell, DXHR, they're all basically the same. I thought TLOU was no better or worse than those, although I liked the bricks and bottles everywhere and what that allows. No stealth game I've seen is any more complex than that.

• Locked thread