Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Cbouncerrun posted:

I just picked up the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus collection and the cover isn't reversible like I heard it was. :(

What? The first thing I did when I opened it was flip it around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jimbot posted:

Wow, they released an expansion for Dead Nation right out of the blue. Anyone try it out?

Just wanted to chime in on this. There doesn't seem to be any semblance of story. It's presented as a score attack mode more than anything. Each level is called a "Round." There's bonuses for multikills. At the beginning you get to pick your path: one has more ammo and supplies, one has more health, and one has more zombies than the others. Also, you don't buy your guns. You run across these "vending machines" and pick one gun to unlock. Then you upgrade as usual. There doesn't appear to be any armor to pick up. Also you are timed during the level but there's little room for exploration so it's pretty much just move forward and kill as fast as you can. At the end of the level you're graded on your kills per minute and given a reward for each milestone you pass. This is all just after a really quick look as it's pretty late and I need to get to bed.

Basically, it's more top down zombie killin' from Housemarque and if you can't get enough of the gameplay from the campaign, then go ahead and get it. I like it already but I'm a bit of a twin stick shooter junkie.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Sep 29, 2011

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, pretty much straight ports of the PS2 versions, no upscaling, no trophies, no nothing, and I've been hearing $10 for the price. But just a couple days ago I was thinking how the only thing missing in my life is the ability to play God Hand now that I don't have my PS2, and then this is announced. So I guess you're all welcome.

I thought that SCEA had standards where every game release from now on had to have trophies and certain features before they were allowed to be sold or did I just have some crazy stuck in my brain?

Regardless, I'm buying the hell out of Godhand just to support it more.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Kaleidoscope posted:

For PS3 games yes that's the rule. If these were ports or HD re-releases they would have those features. There are exceptions for PSOne Classics, PS3 titles released [on disc] before that mandate and assumedly these PS2 Classics.

Ah, I see then. Thanks for the clarification. Man, if these come out at a good price point I may end up buying most if not all of them! (Consumer whore here.)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Shalinor posted:

I hope that's a continuing trend, and eventually we see the 360-side get Steam too. It would be totally boss to FINALLY be able to cross-play between PC, 360 and PS3. But... eh, probably not this generation.

As awesome as universal cross platform play sounds, I doubt it will ever happen. I guess it will be a fun little experiment whenever the new Counterstrike comes out. Heck, the only thing missing is the X360 crowd.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Stelas posted:

Back in April or so, the old thread had links to $20 and $50 US PSN cards on Amazon that would just instantly send you the code, no having to wait for the card to be delivered. Unfortunately, the links don't work anymore and I can't find new versions (all products I find are marked 'unavailable').

Did they just outright stop selling them that way? If not, anyone got a link? If so, can I get one if I don't have a US credit card but do have a Paypal?

You can buy PSN codes from Bestbuy.com now. They just do a search for "PSN Card" and look for the products labeled "Downloadable Content." I wish they had a $10 card there. It was quite handy when it was on Amazon. On that note, I'm not sure why Amazon stopped selling the codes.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I assume you never actually got to the second novel. That uh, that was something. By the fourth book, the protagonist has been put back into the original Doom by a race of unkillable super-aliens and escapes and thrives by converting demons to the glory of Christ where they join his party.

So you read those literary abominations too, eh? To everyone else who hasn't, this is 100% fact and not made up.

Instruction Manuel fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 2, 2012

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

WOLF KIDULT MAN posted:

After my original 80GB was stolen and pawned by a junkie roommate, I recently reacquired a used PS3, same model, and took advantage of the recent B2G2/1 offers from retail to rebuild my library. Among them, Bayonetta, which I have been attempting to install for the better part of the morning after patching but every time I try the installation fails and the system directs me back to the XMB to delete the game data and try again. Is my game disc hosed? I don't think I have the receipt anymore. Sheeit.

I've had similar problems with certain games doing this. What works for me is to disconnect the PS3 from the internet, install, then reconnect and download the patches. Strange workaround but it works!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I would say that Splatterhouse is worth the $10 they're asking for. I enjoyed it when I played it but the only thing that bugged me was that for all the brutal melee in that game, the hits just didn't sound very satisfying. Oh well, it's only :10bux:

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Policenaut posted:

A story starting to pick up is supposedly Sega has already finished Shenmue 1 and 2 HD but is holding them back as they figure out what they actually want to do with Shenmue as a franchise. That last part could actually hold up though, Yu Suzuki has wanted to finish Shenmue for over a decade now and has talked about either buying the rights to the franchise or working with Sega to complete it.

As much as I'd like to see the saga continue, I hope they look at the Yakuza series as inspiration on how to proceed.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Policenaut posted:

All I can remember is that Ryo is supposed to go deeper into mainland China to the city of Luoyang in 3. It'd probably play out like 2. Everything is toned down and you're just doing the regular Shenmue thing, then you're getting involved with mobsters and more fights, and by the end you're running through giant skyscrapers fighting chainsaw-wielding transvestites and having climactic battles on rooftops.

Anyway the real answer is that Ryo Hazuki figures out how stupid everything is and returns to Japan dejected and starts a life of crime, changing his name to Kiryu Kazuma. And now you know the rest of the story!

Not gonna lie, I'd play the hell out of either one of those scenarios.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Green Puddin posted:

So, I've had this copy of RE5 Gold lying around and I'd at least like to attempt to beat it before I forget about it again and the PS whatever comes out next year. Basically, if you'd like to co op with someone who really hasn't played the game (what a shock), hit up HappyPantsDance on the PSN. Let's kill zombies.

Dang, I'd totally take you up on this if I wasn't stuck out of town on business :( You can add me if you want. I'm always up for some co-op shenanigans. This goes for anyone else here too.

PSN ID: Firefox357

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Well I don't plan to buy move anytime soon, just trying to decide what I want from the store, I got Parasite Eve, RE2, the Dark Souls DLC, I'm eyeing God Hand and Vagrant Story but I've played them both, HOTD4 is brand new to me, though I played the gently caress out of HoTD2 on dreamcast with the controller, I assume they control similar?

Hey, if playing rail shooters is fun for you then go for it! I did the same thing with HoTD2 on DC until I was able to get a hold of a couple of 3rd party light guns. Best memory of that game was playing with two guns, John Woo style. Haven't tried HoTD4 with a controller though, as I have a Move, but I can't imagine the two games controlling differently.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Harlock posted:

Could build a tower of Metal Gear.

I think the answer is obvious.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

So CoJ:Gunslinger is a pretty cool game. One thing that's neat is that the game has a dynamic narrator that says stuff based on what you do (kind of like Bastion.) Also since the game is done in the style of a story the main character is telling he messes with reality based on criticisms from his audience.

I'm really diggin' it too, even though I only got to play around with it for a little bit. Also, the guns so far have some good sound behind them and that always gets me going.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

I like to think that the narrator is really embellishing just how many guys are gunning for him just because he's telling his story to an audience. Gives a reason for why you're just shooting scores of dudes :)

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Not to mention some collectibles to hunt down, skills to unlock, New Game +, an arcade mode for racking up high scores, and a quickdraw duel tournament mode.

For $15 bucks, you can't go wrong unless you just plain don't like shooters.

Yes, the game is solid. Get the demo then get the game!

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Near-launch trailer for EDF 2025.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aT2FIGylch4

Tripods! Hornets! Dragons! If there's super-annoying mirrored UFOs in there too, this'll effectively be a remake of the second PS2 EDF, and that would suit me just fine.

I need this game. Not want. NEED! Also, that parting shot at the end put a big grin on my face. I'm easily entertained.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Dross posted:

do you have the power to crush this mother loving candy

I'd actually give Candy Crush a shot if this was the tag line, no joke.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Ariza posted:

You guys are all such reactionary retards. What's the last $40 game that was that small on the PS3?

edit - it's the smallest retail game that I can find. Next biggest is Angry Birds Star Wars. If you don't understand why an exceptionally small file size is not a good sign you probably shouldn't respond.

Lol, what the gently caress is this poo poo!?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Crappy Jack posted:

Most games before the DVD were pretty much all terrible, we just didn't know any better. If Super Mario Brothers came out today as a nostalgic pixel art indie platformer, it'd be laughed out of the room as a lovely one-note repetitive game for casuals. Although the music is pretty catchy.

Wait a minute. What would the precursor to Super Mario Brothers be in this particular reality? Just wondering.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

RightClickSaveAs posted:

Yeah just go under Internet Connection Settings and do Custom instead of Easy setup.

As for the security aspect, the :tinfoil: you'll see floating around the internet mostly involves the privacy of using Google's public DNS server, but it'd just be PSN traffic in this case so who cares? Just keep in mind Google can now track all your anime game downloads even more easily!

Don't worry Google knows pretty much all our viewing habits anyway.

Also, I can't believe there's nothing I want in the flash sale. Guess I'll have to actually work on that backlog now....

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Amppelix posted:

Yeah I know that, I'm saying the fight lacks story justification and is just there because it's cool.

So basically you already know why it's there. Also because videogames.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Jerry Cotton posted:

"How bad can it be?" - Stabbing victim

I though it was, "What are you going to do? Stab me?"

• Locked thread