Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm getting a PS3 tomorrow, the gamestop one with Uncharted 1 and 2 and the 2 Infamous games. I'm looking for suggestions on other titles, Demon Souls is pretty much at the top since I've been dying to play that for years, but I'm not sure on other stuff I haven't followed the PS3 much, mainly looking for exclusives here as I have an Xbox already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

me your dad posted:

I installed Resident Evil 5 via PS+ and I just rage-quit near the very beginning because of how difficult this game is (even on the easy setting). I'm at the part where the public beheading happens and you get swarmed by enemies in a house at a dead end. I call for backup but the fuckers keep coming and there's only so much ammo. I ended up running around helpless without ammo because apparently a grown man can't figure out how to use other things for weapons. Backup never seems to come and I inevitably die.

I'm about to uninstall unless someone can tell me a good reason to keep playing. Is this just a known lovely game?

That part is pretty rough, did you find the SMG? Its straight ahead after the big guy knocks down the metal gate, for the most part you just wanna keep running and grabbing supplies, there's some nades in one of the houses that helps.

Alternatively, find a coop partner, I'd be happy to help you if you want, my PSN id is AchyHippo. I don't have a mic though.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So why does Cole carry around that weird pole in Infamous 2 anyway. Didn't seem like he needed something like that in the first game.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm enjoying Infamous 1 somewhat but this nonsense where enemies are hitting me with pin-point accuracy from miles away is starting to piss me off, and this is just the first island, should I stick with it or go play Infamous 2?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I can glide now!

Just beat the first boss. Gotta say the more poo poo I unlock the more fun the game gets, guess I'll stick with it.

Also because writing is so bad I'm gonna take a guess and say that Cole is Kessler.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So are those atelier alchemist games any good? I don't care about the hyper anime look, but I'm a sucker for any game where I can create poo poo.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, I'd say they are among the best JRPGs if, as you said, you can handle the anime. They're much less structured than others, you just get orders to build something and a time limit and a big world full of crafting components and are left mostly to yourself to figure out how to do it.

Whoa so there's no linear structure? Wasn't expecting that...

Is there like a combat system? Do I dive into dungeons and poo poo to find what I need?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do I need move to play House of the Dead 4?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well I don't plan to buy move anytime soon, just trying to decide what I want from the store, I got Parasite Eve, RE2, the Dark Souls DLC, I'm eyeing God Hand and Vagrant Story but I've played them both, HOTD4 is brand new to me, though I played the gently caress out of HoTD2 on dreamcast with the controller, I assume they control similar?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
For a game that can be so silly sometimes the psycho scene with Chuck was hosed up in DR2 OTR. :smith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Picked up Ninja Gaiden Sigma 2, anyone here still have it? Would love to try the coop with guns.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Any word on when the PSN+ update drops?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The ME trilogy would be a much better value if it had the DLC for the first 2 games included.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I picked up Ninja Gaiden 2 Sigma, I played the gently caress out of the 360 version and to my knowledge am the 2nd goon to beat it on MNM.

So this version is very weird, I can only upgrade one weapon at a time(and its free), there's less enemies, there's no gore, no dismembering, I fought some giant statue boss and there's no more score, that's driving me insane, I couldn't figure out how to view the score thing, then I realized at the end, there isn't any, there's no more ranking.

Why did they do this? That was half the fun of NG2.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

blackguy32 posted:

I actually enjoy Sigma 1, and think it is on par with Ninja Gaiden black other than the technical hiccups. I still can't use the Lunar to save my life though.

Yea Sigma 1 seems identical to NGB sans the Rachael parts of course, NG2 just feels odd.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Also the game gets better the powers you unlock.

And don't spend any xp till you can grab all the damage reduction stuff, they help a TON.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Anyone need an online pass for DOA5? Got a spare one here.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Man I need to reserve last of us.

So I decided to pop in Infamous 2, got tired of the combat in 1, made it to like the 2nd island and did a bunch of missions there but just got tired of it, pinpoint accurate assholes miles away on a rooftop hitting me does not a fun game make.

That said, I'd like to know if I missed anything important, I already who Kessler really is and what Zeke does, just wondering if there's anything else they mention that I should know about.

As for Infamous 2, loving it already, most of gripes are non existent it seems and it just looks so loving gorgeous.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BMB5150 posted:

Do you know about John White in the first game. The event he is in will return in 2.

The dude moya has you looking for?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea I rarely die in the game since I bought all the damage reduction stuff first, its just the combats boring, if its enemies on the roof I just spam shockwave till they all die, for ground stuff, I just got the thing that looks like a shotgun blast that ohko's them.

I have been doing the sidequests and grabbing as many shards as I can. I think at this point I need something like 50 or 60 to get another core.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Neon Knight posted:

So you choose not to make the game awesome by ignoring the ability to spam ridiculous amounts of grenades? Get the evil Cole multigrenades and cause one hell of a slowdown.

Infamous games are awesome for me when I stick to the rooftops. Rooftops are designed to provide power sources and mobility to Cole more so than the streets. It can be a workout for your fingers but you can get a lot of a fighting done while grinding and hopping from roofs and powerlines and feeling like a badass.

But I'm at hero rank already :(

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Yea its the face really, they kept that entire design but changed to face to match infamous 1 cole.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Stillwater is also bigger than steelport, much more lively to.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So my folks let me pick whatever I want, can't decide want, narrowed down to 3 things.

Persona 4 Arena-Huge persona fan, loved 4, heard good things about this and that it has a fairly beefy story mode.

Resident Evil 6-Its 40 and I Have a friend who's working his way through all the RE's and I promised I'd coop with him, he's currently on 3 though so its gonna be awhile.

50 PSN dollars-Can't buy all sorts of poo poo I spotted and classic PSN stuff.

You folks got any other suggestions?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Code Jockey posted:

Does it spoil anything about P4? I bought P4Arena because I saw it and snapped it up a while back, but I haven't actually played P4 yet. :negative:

e. and dumb question I'm sure but it's only P4 chars right? I can't go wrecking peoples' poo poo with Quiet Blue Haired Protagonist or Enthusiastic Track Team Friend from P3? :v:

Its a follow up to P4 so yes it does spoil things, also it has 3 people from P3, no s-link characters, just persona users.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
So I'm giving away my Infamous 1, any of you folks want it? No strings attached, just an address and its yours.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Quick question about tekken tag 2, does it come with an online pass?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Could you guys fill me in on killzone 3? A group I play with wants me to try it now that I got a PS3 but I don't know a thing about it, spotted 3 for like 15 bucks so I'll take the plunge anyhow but still, I'd like to go not go in blind.

Also to that dude that showed me the P4A for 20, thanks man but amazon loving hates Puerto Rico and wants to charge me 11 bucks for shipping, gently caress that, for that price I can buy it locally.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Should I be playing Uncharted 1 on easy? Enemies seem awfully accurate and nade happy on normal.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

To be a bit fair to the game they do tell you stuff like "This is how to attack, this is how to block" But they don't explain things like "This shield can block these attacks and this shield cannot"

True but simply taking a look at the shield's stats would give you all the info you needed, the physical one in particular.

Best Dark Souls advice I can give is to take it slow, explore everything, kill everything, also pyromancer is an excellent starter class to the strength of its spells, it also starts at level 1 so you can build yourself as you like.

quote:

Hush your mouth, that game is amazing, it was one of the games that initially made me want a PS3. It didn't tickle everyone's fancy, but those of us who love it REALLY love it. I consider it one of the greatest games ever made and I'm really looking forward to the next game from Quantic Dream.

Gonna have to agree with this, I just dumped a few hours into it and its intrigued me, the story is quite captivating.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest if they did a Brave and the Bold game in the style of Arkham City but cheerful and with crazy loving gadgets I would buy two copies.

I seriously can't believe they canceled brave and the bold because, and I quote, Batman is supposed to be dark.

Stupid loving executives. :ughh:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Policenaut posted:

I'd argue Star Ocean 3's is even worse because even after the reaction it got from the fans Square continued down that path for SO4. I'm sorry but outright telling everyone that literally nothing they've ever done or ever will do in the franchise matters because it's all an MMORPG is a horrible plot development.

Then the SO1 and 2 remakes happened and they made it worse and REALLY drove home that terrible plot twist, you could not escape from it.

Perhaps SO4 was a step up for the franchise. :smith:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

What was the general consensus on Star Ocean: The Last Hope?

At the time it came out, I didn't have a PS3 so I didn't pay any attention to it. I'm one of the few people who actually really liked Star Ocean: Till The End of Time and it's one of my favorite JRPGs ever, mostly for daring to do something different.

In particular I thought the setting was a refreshing change of pace, I loved the battle system, and I even liked the plot twist at the end, which is what most people hated so vehemently about it.

Would I like The Last Hope as well?

Even though I don't like the plot twist, I found SO3 to be relatively grounded in terms of anime tropes and such, SO4 just throws this out the window entirely, it uses every anime cliche in the book, the she doesn't love you BUT STOP LOOKING AT OTHER WOMEN GODDAMMIT interest, the 15 year old that looks like she's 8(kay), a cat girl that looks like a teenage girl starting puberty, a big tittied angel chick, super dark mega soldier, scythe wielding man.

Leading this band of misfits is EDGE MAVERICK, typical sword user, it is the future, guns exist, but he uses a sword for he is faster than bullets you see, also he looks almost identical to Fayt.

The plot is bad, your party members are retarded and generally very unlikable, the only redeeming feature the game is the battle system which is super solid, beyond that I would not recommend it. Rent it if you cant.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The funniest thing about SO4 is how the Xbox version tried to paint it as this epic space Opera and hide the anime, the PS3 version embraces it(it even has the japanese voice acting.)

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Now that I think about it, I don't know which name is worse, Edge Maverick or Katana Faraway, both names from Square Enix

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Could someone give me a tokyo jungle primer?

Just picked up along with a character pack that had a business man and a robot dog among other things.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krad posted:

I said it before, it's a bad Devil May Cry sequel, but it's not a bad game. Lots of reviews are giving it good scores with the same train of thought.

Lots of reviews are also flat out lying and making poo poo up in regards to mechanics that have existed in the franchise since its inception.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

I guess I should have clarified that I wasn't grinding on purpose, but I wasn't avoiding enemies either and the massive amount of backtracking meant I was constantly killing poo poo and therefore leveled enough that everything was easy.

I'm just sayin' nothing in the GBA games came anywhere close to fighting Death in the original Castlevania.

I'll give SOTN a go when I'm done with the pile of Wii games we just inherited. Oh my God, Super Mario Galaxy is nuts.

SOTN is still incredibly easy even if you don't grind.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spalec posted:

So God of war really should have remained a single player only experience. The ascension beta is pretty unfun :(.

I'm sure the single player will be as awesome as ever though.

What's so bad about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Feenix posted:

Thank goodness for Gamefly. I had tried the Max Anarchy JPN demo a while back and found it underwhelming. I rented it just because and turned it off within about 15 minutes.

Just not good.

What didn't you like about it?

• Locked thread