Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the truth
Dec 16, 2007

That wallpaper looks like 1986.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

A lovely thing about GAF is that the community manager from Naughty Dog is posting there full time, trying to make them happy about Uncharted 3. What a waste.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Wet Biscuit McGlee posted:

Anyone posted this yet?

http://us.playstation.com/psn/events/emailoffer.html?cmp=HM-EMAILOFFERVIDEOUL

Sony's offering $5.99 of credit. It's officially for the video on demand service, but it gives you money to spend on your wallet in any way you see fit. Lot of PS1 games you can get with that. All that you have to do is agree to get emails from Sony, which I already do.

gently caress me for setting the birthdays on my dupe accounts to random dates.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

ACreed Revelations should be available for $25 by February. I used Amazon's $15 credit from pre-ordering Killzone 3 and got ACBros for $10.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

It's on the back of the instruction manual. I think it even says so when they ask you to enter it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Megasabin posted:

I don't know why, but I'm having a really hard time liking Uncharted 3.

What chapter are you on?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Megasabin posted:

Chapter 10. I enjoyed the flashback segments and as soon as the actual game started I stopped having fun.

Ah, then keep playing. I didn't like Syria, but the next couple sections are great.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

You bought the game new and you didn't get an instruction manual?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

BreakAtmo posted:

Yeah, I think all this is pretty much guaranteed, except MAYBE the BC given past action on that front. I'm sure 1080p will be the minimum - hell, we'll probably see games running in 1440p/2160p more often than not.

Even if that were possible, what would be the point when TV's aren't at those resolutions? 720p isn't even the minimum for some of the biggest games in this gen, so don't get your hopes up. I'd be happy with smooth 60 fps, no screen tearing, great AA, motion blur when it's appropriate, and consistent 720-1080p.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Jolo posted:

Back in 2009 I let Demon's Souls beat me. I was stuck on Maneater for weeks and after getting past them I got stuck on 5-2 and ended up selling the game while it was still worth what I bought it for. I'm happy to announce that in 2011 I have repurchased and completed Demon's Souls. The whole process was much much easier this go around. What I'm getting at is: It's time for motherfuckin Dark Souls. :black101:

5-2 made me quit the game for a few months.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

omnibobb posted:

Someone got it already.

Whoops, sorry. I think I got it, but it didn't download anything so I didn't post.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

SamBishop posted:

... Kotaku? I don't even know, and I feel bad ripping on just one site, so I'll shaddap.

No, please, don't stop.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

SamBishop posted:

I really do feel lovely ripping on another site. I'm guilty of plenty of terrible crimes against the English language, I'm sure, and something about glass houses and stuff.

Everyone forgets to eat grammar crackers from time to time, but that's not the complaint most people have against Gawker sites. They are unprofessional armchair pseudo-intellectuals with horrible attitudes. They aren't journalists.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Everyone must buy Saints Row 3.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I think I've only done five or six missions because I'm too busy being an rear end in a top hat.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I haven't played a Saints Row game before, but if I wasn't already getting SR2 for free, I would pick it up for sure. There are a few rough spots: my PS3 can't connect to THQ to up/download character or pictures (I think this is related to the recent PSN maintenance); sometimes the game randomly loads for a second or two and respawn you right back where you were; the story and cutscenes aren't as coherent as what I've grown accustomed to from playing a bunch of Uncharted and ACreed over the past couple years.

One time I got into a place and guarded a friend who was hacking into a computer for some reason and the mission ended very abruptly. Maybe we got a bomb? All I know is a few missions later we had a big bomb. There was also a line in the beginning of Act 2 about something that happened at a funeral, but I don't remember seeing a funeral at all (and it definitely happened in the timeline of this game). Also, some of the missions (at least two of the first twenty) are just short conversations that tie up a minor storylines (minor spoiler: Angel's first three "missions," aka mini-game errands like the ones you did in Act 1 with another friend) or set up the next mission.

But still, this game is amazing and a must-play for anyone even remotely interested. I haven't had this much fun since the early days of Warhawk.

Regarding content, the game is so much fun to mess around with that I'm not desperate for more content. I got the season pass for free because I ordered the game from THQ, and I'll probably buy some DLC down the line for future playthroughs (yes, though I have gripes about the story I will definitely be playing the campaign again). I think I've only used the Genki gun once, and I still haven't tried out his truck.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The spin/flip animations in the early gameplay previews looked amazing. I'm glad SSX is in good hands, but I wonder what happened to the old rumors about Criterion (Burnout Paradise) developing it.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Harlock posted:

I didn't think any content changes were even made to the HD remakes.

It's not exactly a content change, but they remastered the European version instead of the American/Japanese one.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

RBX posted:

Been thinking about getting a PS3 soon, maybe Friday. Is killzone 2 still populated or should I just get 3 even through I know how bad the MP is.

Killzone 3 was dead within four months. I don't know if anyone still plays KZ2, but they should because it was the best online FPS I have ever played.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Brawl wasn't as much fun as Melee. Also, if you weren't playing Brawl with a Gamecube controller you were doing it wrong.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

FW 4.0 is out.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I doubt that Skyrim will ever be worth buying for the PS3.

The Last Guardian isn't canceled. There was a small bit of new info that comes with Ico/SotC.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I think Dark Souls performs significantly better on the PS3.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

Also just got a $50 psn card. Got a list of sweet games ONLY for the ps3?

Flower, Joe Danger, Pixeljunk Monsters, inFamous, and Super Stardust HD are frequently recommended.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

The Flying Milton posted:

I started Final Fantasy 13 yesterday and I'm really confused by it. How can you spend so long making a game and not realize that it's just a hallway?

It worked for FFX...

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Harlock posted:

You guys should check coupons more! If I hadn't persuaded you enough :)

Saints Row 3 - $30

This is a must buy.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Only got to play the first 20 mins or so of SR3 last night, but... holy cow. :catstare:

It's only getting better from here, isn't it?

I'm about halfway through the missions, but I've had a ton of fun just messing around in the city. It's the most fun I've had with a sandbox game.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Code Jockey posted:

Just beat SR3.

Well... drat this was a fun game. :aaa: Gonna tackle the side stuff now. There's... a lot of it.

It's so much fun to do the side stuff (assassinations, car thefts, challenges) and just goofing off that I haven't got around to finishing the game. I've completed 32/47 missions, but I only do one mission each time I play because the sandbox element is so much fun.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Jamesman posted:

At the very least, you needed to hold the button down to charge your jump, and while the button was held, you couldn't move, which meant you couldn't navigate the course. It was pretty frustrating, especially for halfpipes.

Plus, I was very used to Tony Hawk games, where you could hold down the X button and move around freely. So I'd always be trying to hold the button down to always prepare for maximum jump, and I'd just lock myself into a path and gently caress myself up.

It doesn't take more than a second to charge your jump, and then the focus is on pre-winding your spins and flips. This isn't THPS.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I've literally never heard a complaint about SSX's controls, except for Blur. Plus, THPS and SSX are completely different games. SSX is first and foremost a racing game, but you need to do tricks for boost in order to win. When they tried to make a snowboarding game with THPS's controls it was awful.

the truth fucked around with this message at 03:46 on Dec 25, 2011

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Scyron posted:

I am going to buy
  • killzone 3 map pack

Why? Multiplayer was dead when I traded the game in a few months ago.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

tophet posted:

How's Gamefly's service? I don't know anyone who's used it. If it works like Netflix it sounds awesome, but if it takes weeks and I can't get the game I want I'll just stick to scouting for cheap games.

Stick to scouting for cheap games.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

I just got a PS3 for Christmas. I took some of the money I got, went on eBay, and got

Buy Uncharted 2.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Housh posted:

Yup. Saints Row: The Third is the most fun video game I've played all year.

Yup.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Harlock posted:

January 31st, 2012

Final Fantasy XIII-2 (RPG) $59.99 MSRP / $79.99 Collector's Ed MSRP

I wonder how long before it's $15. June?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Retail Slave posted:

I'm thinking of picking up GTA 4 for pretty cheap. Is it a good play?

Buy Saints Row 3. Buy it soon and you can also get Saints Row 2 for free from PSN Store.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Doesn't the 360 version of GTA IV run at a higher resolution?

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

SR3 has great driving, and I made the transition to SR2 pretty well. The controls and button mapping are much better in SR3, though.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Cartoon Man posted:

Is it possible to play through GTA4 and just be a dick to everybody that wants to go hang out or on dates?

I think that's how pretty much every one plays the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

I haven't played SR3 in a while (been away from my PS3), what is the current DLC situation?

First mission content DLC is coming later this month.

• Locked thread