Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Jamesman posted:

It's just this VERY FIRST racing mission, which is a time trial. I don't have to beat anything but the clock, and the bottom line is I have no car that's fast enough. The actual races against opponents probably are easy enough to handle, but this particular situation cannot be overcome because I lack the necessary equipment to complete the task.

I remember just using the Altair for everything as it was what I had in the garage, plus it was a cool car. You don't need a better car, you just need to get better at the driving. I don't mean that to sound condescending, just want you to focus on driving the route rather than looking for an alternative tool for the job.

Are you cutting enough corners? The route has several places where you can shave seconds off your time by driving across the pavements directly towards the next corner rather than following the road around. The time trial is harder than all the races, but it didn't take me more than a handful of tries and I'm notoriously bad at driving games. Pay attention to the route, you can do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Finally found an English copy of Yakuza 3 yesterday. All the talk of it being similar to Shenmue convinced me. I'm loving the narrated cutscene recaps of the first two games, they've sucked me into the story and the setting already. Haven't played a minute of the game and already I've got a really, really good feeling about this.

I saw the first Motorstorm going for about $6 US in the shop. Didn't pick it up, but at that price I'd probably be daft to turn down any game. Is the first one worth playing at all? I'm not a huge driving games fan, but it has always looked kind of interesting to have a quick fiddle with.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
There's a goon in this thread playing The Saboteur, stuck on the time trial. Well I just picked up another copy of that game, and loading up my last save from my no shops/garages/upgrades run I had that same time trial still available. (It's not essential to complete the story.) I was just now able to complete the time trial using the Dugatti that spawns at the race start, so if you take along a car like the Altair then you should find it even easier to beat.

To be fair, it did take me a few goes to get it right, but so long as you don't hit any cars on the way round and take the corners smoothly you should be ok. Just don't let your finger off the gas at any point, if you do then you are playing it wrong.

Oh Saboteur, how I have missed you.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jamesman posted:

Well that explains a lot.

Not really. When I beat the time trial in the Dugatti yesterday, I was on the hardest difficulty level. :smug: I honestly don't know what to say, normally I'm terrible at racing games. Only when it's a sandbox game do I suddenly gain any sort of skill whatsoever.

And ChiaPet, you are going to have a blast. Embrace it for the gloriously two-fisted B-movie experience that it is.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

stachatoryR posted:

Picked up the Infamous 2 bundle and now finally own a PS3. I also picked up God of War 3, Gran Turismo 5, Infamous (1), and Prototype.

Are there any other PS3 exclusives that I can't live without? Anything obvious?

I recently got a PS3, and with an Xbox 360 as my main console I'm only interested in the exclusives. So far, I can highly recommend:

Heavy Rain
Uncharted
Valkyria Chronicles

Those three alone justified the PS3 to me, and I've still got Uncharted 2 sitting here and I know it is better than the first. Also, Yakuza 3 which looks like it will be very good. I also downloaded the first bundle of Siren: Blood Curse episodes based upon goon recommendations and I'm hoping that will be as good as it looks.

You've got to play Heavy Rain though. It has some rough edges, but once it gets going (the start is very slow) it's a goddamn rollercoaster through to the end. I'm waiting to get it back from a friend so that I can play the DLC.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

40 OZ posted:

Is RDR Undead Nightmare fully functional if you buy it used? I know this is a dumb question.

There are no codes or online passes associated with this title, so you are fine. Undead Nightmare is loving awesome, and it's where I finally learned to love the game. Go have fun with it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

foastwab posted:

I'm finally playing through Arkham Asylum after a couple friends told me they wouldn't play anything online with me until I finished it.

Your friends are good people, and they love you. I hope you appreciate them.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

ImpAtom posted:

Nope. Half-Life absolutely loves to do long sequences where Gordon Freeman can jump around or whatever but you're still stuck in a cutscene where you have to watch characters talk at one another. It's honestly worse to me then a lot of cutscenes because you can't even just put down the controller, you often have to follow someone around and watch them blab at one another.

Half-Life is really bad about this honestly in that when it wants to delivery story to you, the gameplay is going to loving stop dead but not in an interesting way.

It actually delivers story in the worst possible way as it makes the player responsible for being the cameraman during the delivery of important information. The entire purpose of cutscenes is that they are tailored to be visually interesting, well-framed pieces of cinema that advance the story in the most compelling way. In Half-Life 2, while the scientist dude was telling Gordon Freeman about his teleporter, my friend was jumping around like a lunatic throwing things across the screen. 99% of players do not have the ability, and more importantly the pre-knowledge of the scene, to properly frame the story sections themselves.

They still need to be made skippable though. Personally I'm in favour of making them skippable on the second viewing onwards, because the story is important and gently caress anyone that never wants to watch them ever. Second time though, yeah get back to the action. Hell, if it is a cutscene before a big fight, I don't know why reloading the fight even shows the cutscene again. That's the part that makes no sense, just go straight to the action.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Okay goons, should I jump straight to Dark Souls or is Demon Souls worth playing first? I'm leaning towards grabbing Demon Souls but not knowing much about the series I'm not sure what the deal is here. Educate me please.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Rirse posted:

If I remember right, the disc based 360 games gets one free DLC, but it can't have new achievements. Which is why the PC version (the one I have) didn't have any new ones.

This can't be correct. Outlaws to the End was free DLC for RDR, and included achievements. Though this may be a case of Rockstar being big enough to flout the rules. After taking $50 for exclusive GTA IV DLC, that's probably the case. Either way, there is a precedent for this kind of thing.

Also, I'm just loading up Demon's Souls for the first time. I'm ... I'm scared. Decided to prepare by reading the manual, something I never do. It was all in Chinese. Well, no guts no glory ...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm really glad I picked up Demon's Souls, it scratches the itch I get about stabbing people with swords. One thing I really, really, and I do mean REALLY like is that it let's me equip items that I'm not actually good enough to use. It's a small thing, but the arbitrary "You must be level 10 to wear this slightly different hat" bullshit that most RPGs have just pisses me off. I found a bastard sword in Demon's Souls, and despite being far too weak for it (I started as a royal, though I might reroll) I still got to see how the sword looked when used, so I could decide for myself if I liked the aesthetics and fighting style of it.

Sure it only does 2 points of damage because I'm too weak to swing it properly, but THANK YOU for making a game that doesn't go by the "Just because" line of cockblockery.

Not sure whether to persist with my royal, or restart with something different. I'm not keen on the stabby nature of the rapier, in fantasy games I like the classic big shield and swinging sword characters, magic and other faffing around is always secondary to just hacking away with a big piece of sharp metal. I'm a simple soul at heart.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Is magic essential in Demon's Souls? As I say, I prefer swords over spells every time. I'm just conscious that with the royal (not knowing this in advance obviously) that the ranged magic attack is much better and more effective than my sword attack. I just ... well I just want to use my sword. It may sound stupid ... alright, it IS stupid, but I've been dying far more than I should simply because I don't pull the wand out enough as I want to get some slashy stabby death action going.

Great game though, no complaints so far. I just need to get far enough into it one way or another to pick out the sharp weapon of my choice and I'm golden.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Thanks all for the info. I'm totally cool with rocking a bow, bows are fine. And I guess I have no problem with using a magic sword either, the magic there is still secondary to it being, you know, a sword. I think I'll reroll, and just consider my time spent with the royal as being an extended tutorial. It's not like I got too far with it anyway, I had bought a new set of armour and unlocked one shortcut. And died (a lot). Now I think I know how to fight I'll probably go with a knight and start again keeping magic to a minimum.

One last quick question, at what point do you get to level up? I seemed to just be wandering around in the first castle, getting a little further each time and then dying. I couldn't find a way to sell my items and I'm not sure if there is something I should be doing other than play more and get further. Both of which I intend to do anyway. If that's all I need to do and it'll sort itself out anyway, then no problem, I'm just paranoid that I've missed something obvious.

One other thing. My royal had an annoying blue glowy effect, was that due to the magic or the ring that I had? (And this was as a human as well.) I like the art direction of the game, but glowy player avatar I could do without.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I went with the temple knight on my Demon's Souls reroll in the end. She had the lowest magic stat, which meant more points towards the stats that enhance stabby death. The magic is just an emergency heal? I can live with that. Turns out the annoying blue glow on my royal character was from the magic wand, not the general soul glow, and the temple knight has a more restrained golden glow coming from her talisman. Visually it's much less distracting, which is another bonus.

Wasn't too crazy on the halberd, but in just a few minutes I got back as far as I had in my first 3 hours of play thanks to being a bit more durable and hard-hitting and I bought myself some new weapons. Now I'm torn between the spear and longsword. Both of them are so much fun to use. The longsword is currently my favourite (slightly) as I like the slash attack for carving up a bunch of enemies, and its strong attack thrusting the sword into the face of a single foe is total boss.

This is a drat fine game. drat fine.

Edit: Just met and beat Phalanx. My word that was a fun and very satisfying boss fight. Returned to the Nexus with a bunch of stuff and upgraded my longsword to +1 and my spear to +2. Now I'm really ready to get some serious killing done.

Did I mention that this is a drat fine game?

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 10, 2011

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Jamesman posted:

Atmosphere, thoughtful, logical evironmental puzzles, very light on combat (which in itself was a puzzle).

Also I'd sooner die by choking on my own rear end in a top hat than play Prince of Persia.

Oh come now, the others may be iffy but Sands of Time is wonderful.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

SuperLobster posted:

I am considering jumping onto Demon Souls before Dark Souls but is there any chance the servers won't be online much longer? I found an article from last December saying that the company was keeping them up until October 2011. If they do shut them down is that a reason to not pick the title up?

This was my reasoning for picking up Demon's Souls now as well. With the servers being renewed this month, it means I have a year to enjoy the online elements of the game. I love seeing the messages and bloodstains, it really would be a different game without all of that. As much as I'd enjoy getting straight into Dark Souls, I figured it was now or never to enjoy the real Demon's Souls.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Ah, time for some more Demon's Souls. Now would I like to die repeatedly to a giant spider, or an armoured giant with a 35 foot high shield? Decisions decisions ...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Crappy Jack posted:

It's also incredibly demeaning to the player to put them in the homicide desk and not actually let them solve a single homicide case. Also they telegraph way too much stuff way too obviously, so you end up spending half the desk going "I KNOW EXACTLY WHO DID IT" but the game still keeps making you do things you know are wrong. There's a way to do it correctly, and the idea is sound, but the execution is terrible. Much the same as Cole's dilemma later in the game. LA Noire's a ton of really good ideas marred by bad execution, a lot of which is due to the fact that they put the story too far ahead of the actual game. The two never really mesh in the way that it needed to.

Crappy Jack speaks for me too. There is so much to applaud in LA Noire, but it's a game of extremes. I basically support all the design choices they made, but the execution of those choices was mostly always flawed.

It all comes down to the storytelling in the end. In the game, as it is written, Cole Phelps is a terrible, terrible cop. He shouts at grieving widows and orphans, accuses everyone of being in on the crime, and arrests lots of innocent people. The part that bothers me, as the player controlling Phelps, is that at no point can I choose not to shout at those people, or to not arrest someone that I know to be innocent.

I must hate myself as I still periodically hunt achievements for it on the 360 version, and the achievements are some of the worst that I've ever seen for any game. They actively make the game worse by forcing the player to further play against type.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Hey, new PS3 owner, these rat bastards failed to mention that you should get Heavy Rain and Valkyria Chronicles. Both exclusives, both are amazing. I play most games on 360, so my PS3 is for exclusives, and these games were totally worth picking up the console for.

Someone mentioned The Saboteur, and that's my favourite sandbox. Pick that up too, criminally underrated game.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Urban Achiever posted:

There's also like three logs you have to walk over while keeping your balance using your sixaxis. Thankfully this crap was also removed in U2.

And it's coming back in the Vita game, presumably just to show off the fact that the Vita has motion controls.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Shalinor posted:

Oblivion is the reason I'm holding off on Skyrim until proper reviews start coming in.

This is me too. I was really excited to play Oblivion based on the promise of what it could deliver. Giant fantasy world where you can go anywhere and do anything? Sign me the gently caress up. Trouble was, literally every single thing that it did, it did badly.

If Skyrim could be the Oblivion that I was promised, rather than the Oblivion that I got, I will buy the gently caress out of it. It's a game that I really, really want to play. Please be good Skyrim. :ohdear:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

That applies to you, you reading this post.

Me? Oh sorry, right. Let me fix that right now then.

*Goes to PSN, buys God Hand*

Not that I'll even have time to play it, Rocksmith is eating all my gaming time and my backlog is disturbingly grotesque. But there will come a night, I'll be sitting at home wondering what to do, and I'll decide to try that punching game that a bunch of goons kept on saying I should get.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Crappy Jack posted:

You'll be glad you did. God Hand is the Saints Row of the beat 'em up genre.

I just booted it up to give it a go. Holy poo poo this game. :stare:

Yeah, guys you should play God Hand.

Edit: And what a world we live in, where an hour ago a Playstation 2 game was recommended, I hit a few buttons and an hour later I'm 20 minutes into punching people in the face. It's so commonplace now it's easy to forget that when this game first came out this would have been seen as witchcraft.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Nov 9, 2011

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Kly posted:

UC 1 is not a great game nor does it have a good story. I'm not sure why goons always say to play it first for the story and characters, I'm assuming they've just never read a book or something or are comparing it to their animes. Skip 1 and play 2 it has much better gameplay. The story's still nothing to write home about. I haven't tried UC3 yet, I hear the aiming is broken in single player though.

Do not listen to this person, they crazy. I played UC1 recently and loved it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

GUI posted:

The cutscenes are bland, none of the characters are remotely interesting ...

gently caress you say?

I'll let the rest go as personal opinion, but this part is just plain wrong. The framing of the cutscenes, and the content in them, is as good as in any other game that exists. There are two deaths in particular Aisha and Carlos that are incredibly cinematic. Especially the dolly shot for the latter, that slow pan in and back was incredibly well done.

Plus, you are supposed to be playing the game in co-op. If you are playing that game solo, you are doing it wrong. The strength of SR2 is that it is an adequate world, with lots of fun things to do, that you share with a fellow psychopath. I clocked the game once solo, and it was decent. A second run-through with a friend was the most fun I have ever had in video games, just constant laughter from start to finish.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

the truth posted:

Everyone must buy Saints Row 3.

This. If you don't get this game then you might just as well burn your console as you are a bad person that hates fun. This game has loving EVERYTHING in it. It's amazing.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Flayer posted:

Does it have as much stuff as Saints Row 2?

There are a couple of steps back in certain areas. Mostly it's just chock full of all sorts of new weapons, new vehicles, and new ways to a be a colossal dick to everyone in the city. It's a thing of beauty.

There is a lull about 5 missions in (all of which are off the loving chart in terms of badassery) where it makes you go through mandatory activities before letting you get on with the story. Now I love the activities, but being forced to play them at that point still grated. Acts 2 and 3 though. Oh my loving god there isn't a single bad mission in it, and any one of them would make an adequately awesome final mission for any other sandbox game.

It's game of the loving year.

P.S. There's a $2 DLC weapon that calls in a shark to eat people. The entire game is like that. I won't even begin to spoil any of the stuff that happens, just try and play it knowing as little as you can about the story and the stuff in it because this game, this loving game ...

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Code Jockey posted:

I really think so.

Hah, nicely done, I got it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I've just spent played 95% of Uncharted 2 in a single sitting, and I'm about to have some food and then finish that beauty off. What a loving game! The bit with the helicopter ... the bit with the train ... the bit with ... oh hell, all of it is wonderful. I really liked the first game, but ooooooooooh the sequel is bloody marvellous. The dialogue positively sparkles.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

RadicalR posted:

They say there's no accounting for taste, but drat, son. I'm not sure what else to say to that!

Anyways, on topic, I'm playing through The Saboteur and why have I wait so long to play this brilliant piece of work! Blowing Nazis up is awesome!

I'm always really happy to see someone new discover The Saboteur. Such a great game, pure unapologetic fun from start to finish. I need to find time to finish it a third time.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm posting this in both the main console threads as the game hasn't had much of a mention in here at all. I just wanted to state that Rocksmith is an essential purchase for anyone that has ever had any interest in learning how to play guitar.

There's a thread for the game over here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3444574&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Seriously, there isn't a single person in that thread that has expressed any regret for buying the game at all. Oh sure there are some minor issues with the game, but these are nearly all about things like the menus and loading times (which will all be addressed in a patch in the new year according to the developers), but the core game itself is being unanimously endorsed by goons. We've got complete "never touched a guitar in their life" newbies, and dudes who've been playing for years looking for a fun practice tool, and everyone of every skill level is getting something out of it.

If you have no interest in learning to play guitar, this thing isn't for you, so stick to a true rhythm game like Rock Band or Guitar Hero. You won't be breaking Rocksmith out at parties, that's not what it is for. But if you ever thought "Hey it would be cool to play guitar" then Rocksmith is turning out to be a fantastically good training tool. The main thing it provides is motivation to do all the boring practice, mostly by making it not be boring, and you can play with any electric guitar that you can get your hands on.

Rocksmith owns, and 100% of goons who own the game seem to agree. Just wanted to let you know, in case it may be something you might be interested in.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Code Jockey posted:

Only got to play the first 20 mins or so of SR3 last night, but... holy cow. :catstare:

It's only getting better from here, isn't it?

Saints Row: The Third is indeed awesome. With one caveat though, there is a lull during the first act that can take the edge off if you aren't prepared for it.

Based on my experiences with it, I fully advise you to power straight through the missions until you come to the big "choice" you make at the end of the first act. The reason I say this is that after 5 goddamn awesome opening missions you will be forced to go through a series of activity introductions. Now the activities are all fun, but being forced into doing them may leave you wondering what the hell is going on with the main story. Spacing them out with some open world loving around makes them seem to take longer too. It's to your benefit to get them out of the way ASAP, and without saying more (spoilers) it helps the flow of the story too for reasons I won't go into.

I'm on my second playthrough, and I did this myself, just played missions non-stop until I hit the choice, and then eased off and only then started going around and wreaking havoc. It makes for a really intense action-packed first couple of hours and keeps the pace right. After that, it's good to slow down and savour the missions, because from act 2 onwards every single one is just off the wall. You have no idea what kind of things are waiting for you, they are amazing.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I played Uncharted for the first time like two months ago and it owned and playing the second one was all the better for it. Sorry you suck at video games.

This was my experience too. I wish more games were as "bad" as the first Uncharted, it was wonderful. Sequel even more so.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Shalinor posted:

UC2's, though... gently caress. That. poo poo. There is no strategy for that bastard other than "run like hell in the opposite direction, hoping his AI picks the path you expect, hoping some of your tossed grenades hit him, and if they do, maybe you've got a window of 5 seconds to shoot him." I blew hours on him, and the winning bout took something like a half hour of constant running.

No strategy ... apart from using the giant blue exploding things to kill him. I'm frankly amazed you missed this, the levels leading up to that point had you shooting the blue sap to explode roots away. When I got to the boss, it was the first thing I thought of. I don't think the boss fight could be any easier, I was playing on hard and the whole thing took me just 5 minutes. I only died once when he surprised me with his grenade attacks, otherwise it was just a case of running around a corner, aiming at the blue stuff, and waiting for him to walk past it. It was cake. Total and utter cake.

Dude, you were absolutely playing it wrong.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I wanted to say thanks to the goons that touted the Yakuza series as being a spiritual successor to Shenmue. Decided to fire up Yakuza 3 for the first time tonight (having only watched the recaps of Yakuza 1 and 2 before) and I got an instant, INSTANT Shenmue vibe from it. I'm only a very short time into it, but even in these opening moments I can tell this is a game I've been looking for for a long time. The fight tutorial saw me beating up some street punks with a bicycle. Then I opened up the side quest menu to see there is a checklist for eating 259 different foods. That's just weird enough to excite me.

Oh man, this is going to be good times. I can't remember who it was that compared this to Shenmue, which pushed me over the edge, but THANK YOU! Despite playing this for the first time tonight, I'm getting an instant nostalgic feeling about it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Code Jockey posted:

I always like hearing people getting into Yakuza 3. Enjoy it, break lots of jaws, smash lots of bikes on peoples' heads, and once in a while participate in the main story after hours in the gambling halls.

Exactly. In Shenmue, hunting down the killer of Ryu's father was entirely secondary to feeding kittens, collecting capsule toys, and getting a new high score on the darts machine. I'm looking forward to ignoring the main story in Yakuza 3 as much as I can.

Glad you are enjoying SR3 as well. It's game of the year. Flawed first act, but other than that it's just pure gold all the way though.

whip posted:

http://www.youtube.com/user/LInsomnie?feature=mhum

My page is loaded with Yakuza 3 videos. Also, ryled on youtube made a pretty awesome walkthrough you can easily find anywhere on the net. His name is Patrick!

I would have to check this later only, right now I'm happy to be going into the game knowing absolutely nothing and seeing what I can discover for myself.

Hey Valkyria Chronicles dude, I hope you made the correct choice of playing with the Japanese voices rather than the English dubbing. I tiried both, and the women in the English dub sounded like girls. At least Japanese "cute girl" voices still sound like they could belong to young women. I'd definitely advise anyone to go with the original VA if you can.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I'm loving Yakuza 3, it's so deliciously old-fashioned in some ways. I honestly don't know why I found it a source of delight to find real world alcohol brands in the bar, and when I order a drink the bartender basically gives me a sales pitch for the brand. It's loving hilarious, and now I need to buy ALL the drinks to see how much he wants to shill Beefeater gin. Oh Japan, never change.

I should probably get back to those kids at the orphanage, but I got distracted by a whole bunch of street fights (and I love the way a crowd forms while you square off against the cocky street thugs) and I found the gambling house. A gambling house filled with incomprehensible games that I somehow made a profit on.

Man these shops sell a lot of random poo poo, and I have no idea what any of it is for. This too delights me for reasons I can't explain. I need to find a bait shop of some kind, because fishing mini-games always reel me in. I must have spent ages back in the day catching that giant fish in the Ocarina of Time fishing pond.

The only downside to the game is that it isn't fully voice acted. Ah well, I can live with a bit of text, but it's always sad to be really into something then suddenly it takes that step down in production values. It's worse for a Japanese game as at least with English audio I can hear the text in their voices.

Overall though, top notch game.

Edit: Several hours on and, holy crap, this game must gets better. I thought the brawling was competent yet not overly brilliant, but then I got into the first really long fight with weapons at the end of chapter 3. God drat that was awesome. I'm throwing guys out of windows, I'm chopping people up with swords, I'm twirling a staff around like a total badass ... where has this game been all my life?

I thought that I had screwed myself at one point as I'm out of practice with games that have manual save points, and when I got through to the boss at the end of that building invasion I wasn't carrying much in the way of health restoring items. Plus I'm playing on hard. Had to fight him quite a few times before I finally took him down, and I've resolved in the future to save more often and to not be walking around with pockets full of freshly caught fish when I should be carrying food.

The awesome fight was made even more awesome by the fact that I had just discovered the karaoke bar just beforehand. Yes, I delayed a rescue mission just so I could sing some J-pop tunes. This game is nanas, in the best possible way.

I also really like how it does QTEs too, in fact I would go so far as to say it does them the only way they should be used: in the middle of fights as a "think fast" reaction to a special attack.

Took the girl to a late-night karaoke session just now. Then I'm going to buy her some ice cream and take her home. What a great game.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Dec 20, 2011

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

Shalinor posted:

This still bugs me. SR2 had this great replay-anything structure, which was a hoot, and now they... just took it out entirely? So weird.

The mission replay feature generated so many bugs that they didn't have the time or manpower to come anywhere close to being able to include it. IdolNinja, the lord of the Saints Row modders, has already said that it's likely that the modded-in mission replay function may never fully function properly. He expresses sympathy for the game developers who wanted to keep it in, but said it was clear that they weren't going to be able to. If he reckons they had reasons to ditch it (while remaining as disappointed as the rest of us) then I'm not going to argue with his opinion which is far more qualified than mine.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I've not played Underworld, so I can't comment on that one. I will defend Anniversary as being a magnificent game with controls that were just fine. It was everything I wanted in a remake of one of my favourite games, and coming on the heels of the incredibly underwhelming Legend was a very pleasant surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
You guys claiming Legend was a good game make my head hurt. The only good thing going for that game was the fact that it finally updated the controls to something approaching usable. For that, I give them all due credit. The game itself though was bland as gently caress.

It also didn't help that it was incredibly short for a Tomb Raider game. I remember taking two weeks to beat the original game, playing every night after work. Game was huge. Then I get to Legend, play thorugh the first level in under an hour and it tells me that I'm 11% of the way through. That was genuinely surprising. I know that's not a bad length for games of this type these days, but for a Tomb Raider game it's rubbish.

The entire second half of the game was entirely unexceptional and the story just suddenly stops. It felt exactly as if they had developed only half of a full game, and decided to ship it as-is rather than make the other half. I do NOT expect to reach the end of a Tomb Raider game to find myself with blue balls as they want to tell the story in the next game. That's bullshit. You can link them, you can do sequels, you can have recurring characters, but you do not make a game of this type that is not entirely self-contained.

I actuall picked the game up again some time back because I wanted to see if it was as bad as my memories of it. Time and foreknowledge might soften me to its flaws. When it came out though, it was honestly one of the most disappointing gaming experiences that I had ever had. I've had a long-term love affair with Lara and it took Anniversary to win me back. The only reason I never got around to playing Underworld was because Legend soured me that badly on the franchise.

• Locked thread