Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

As a heads up, the link to the PS3 Import thread leads to the old, archived one and not the current multi-purpose PS3/PSP/PS Vita one.

That thread will be getting an update of its own come the 15th.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

PlayStation Plus content for September announced

10 free games
  • Altered Beast (PSN)
  • Astro Tripper (PSN)
  • Bashi Blocks (Minis)
  • Jellypops (Minis)
  • Jet Moto (PSOne)
  • Plants vs. Zombies (PSN)
  • Resident Evil 1 (PSOne)
  • Resident Evil 2 (PSOne)
  • Resident Evil 3 (PSOne)
  • Street Smarts (Minis)

4 Full Game Trials
  • BulletStorm
  • Saints Row 2
  • Bolt
  • Tiger Woods PGA Tour 12

And if you're a cool dude, you can get both Resident Evil 4 HD and Resident Evil: Code Veronica X HD for $10 a piece for 2 weeks starting on the 20th (RE4) and 27th (RECVX)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tamagod Sushi posted:

That's quite the list :monocle: is it unofficial zombie month in September or did I not get the memo?

Capcom's revealing Resident Evil 6 at TGS next week so I imagine they're turning this into an all out blitz. I wouldn't be surprised if they released a demo for Operation Raccoon City this month too.

edit: whoa its sooner than i thought

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Sep 5, 2011

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Netflix something like Shadows of the Damned. It's a good game that kind of peters out towards the end and has virtually no replay value.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

rizuhbull posted:

Oh Jesus. I can't imagine what horrors (not the good kind) Slant 6 has bestowed upon the RE series.

Most play impressions I've read online/in the RE thread for Operation Raccoon City are "game's kinda fun, isn't really a Resident Evil game"

Which is probably the closest thing to success Slant 6 could ever reach.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

rizuhbull posted:

Well there you go. So many Socom fans were upset they didn't make a game that was like Socom. Now they're making a game that 's not like Resident Evil.

The weirdest drat thing is that they made Confrontation, then spent like 4 years making this and the first play impressions are "Hey it plays like Socom" when I remember people complaining that Confrontation wasn't Socom enough. It's like SOCOM 4 and Operation Raccoon City changed places or something.

I really want to try that demo though, I've been reading that it's good.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

On the other hand though (and this is something of a reversal of my previous position on the series), the closer it gets to being a conventional zombie shooter, the more games it has to compete with. Maybe it should stick to the niche of the older RE games more closely.

edit: speaking of RE, the other day I was playing Devil May Cry 1 and I was amazed again at how much it has in common with the early RE games, and in some of the ways I liked, like the environment being full of things you can examine, even pointlessly. The fixed camera can die right off though.

I really don't think Resident Evil should be regressing, Capcom seems to think so at least if they're calling 6 "ambitious". But then again this is an argument better settled for a Resident Evil thread.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I beat it the other day, it was a lot better than it was in the demo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Shalinor posted:

In a "this is fun" sort of way, or in a "I play imports because the plots are ever so cooky, never mind the gameplay" way?

I had fun with it, like the basic gameplay seemed to make me happy. The whole thing is about figuring out the combos with the rock-paper-scissor weapon system they've got and the delay/special/evade cancel kind of thing for the moves. It actually gets really hard later on. The game's platforming can be pretty awful sometimes, I found it really hard to judge some jumps later on because the game's bizarre art style sometimes really fucks with the perspective.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Resident Evil Revelations is basically a full length Lost in Nightmares. Only problem is that it's a 3DS game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

I think RE can have both, but they need to change the enemy AI. No more running right up to you and then slowing to a crawl before attacking

Another thing they did in Operation Raccoon City.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hahaha oh my god, Metropolismania is back!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHCfwXQXSC8&hd=1

I missed this chintzy as gently caress franchise, even though I know no one will ever localize it I still want it :(

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I just really like telling people about stuff I find cool, I'm not very good at writing articles or anything of the sort. Also I'm terrible at writing in general. :shobon:

I said come in! posted:

Is this a Simcity clone or public transportation sim? If it's a Simcity clone, than I really want to play it.

Metropolismania is kind of what Maxis' cancelled Simsville was going to be like. You build a city like in Sim City, but you generally have an objective like in Tropico and the best part is that all the citizens in your city are unique individuals. You can actually run around your city like in Dark Cloud and meet with your citizens then chat them up and become friends with them, giving you bonuses and little rewards overtime for doing so. Here's Metropolismania on Wikipedia!

It's really budget and chintzy but I happen to adore how honest it is. Here's 10 minutes of gameplay from Metropolismania 2's first stage, both it and its predecessor had North American releases.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

gently caress yes I can't wait to stealth around and punch North Koreans in the face with birds, Crysis 1 owns so much.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh yeah. You just stealth like the drat Predator and grab yourself a chicken from a coop, run right up to some unsuspecting North Korean soldier in the jungle and when he ain't lookin' you just WHAM PUNCH THAT BIRD INTO HIS FACE

Crysis is about dicking around with enemies.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Aw drat it, Home costumes? Now I gotta get all up in that. Subway gives out good Home poo poo.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Oh wow, anyone want to see the prototype controllers for the original PlayStation?

Kinda neat to think that Plus and Minus could have been part of Circle, Cross, Triangle, and Square.

Jamesman posted:

a generic FPS zombie Left 4 Dead clone

I don't think you've actually played Dead Island, because it's neither an FPS (in the traditional sense) nor a Left 4 Dead clone.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Square-Enix is actually doing quite a lot of work trying to "fix" Final Fantasy 14, mainly by turning it into Final Fantasy 11-2 which is what everyone wanted in the first place. It was at least nice of them to go "Yeah this sucks, we're not going to charge you to play it" while they spent a year actually, you know, finishing the game after it came out.

I'll probably try it on PS3 launch.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

Elemental Monster: Online Card Game will also have PSN releases this week.

FINALLY.

I knew that would localize sooner or later!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I said come in! posted:

I've heard good things about this racing game. Going to have to buy it for sure, as I love Ferrari and there are not enough racing games with Ferrari represented.

Back when it was still a Euro-exclusive PSN game, I did some research on it. It's actually a slightly altered digital version of that Ferrari Challenge Blu-ray game we have in North America or something.

J posted:

Do you know anything of what it's like? The description on the blog makes it sound like rock paper scissors and it has to be more involved than that.

I don't fully understand the game myself as most information on it is in Japanese, but here's the game's Japanese trailer which does some visual explanation on the subject. It gives a decent idea of the basic gameplay.

As far as I can tell, you collect cards and make teams of monsters out of them. Each monster has like their own HP, "Agility", Element and Pokemon TCG-esque attack skills and Magic-style abilities. So you pick a team of like a max of 6 and can have 3 out at once. There's something about special formations and "circles" to power them up.

I know that the Japanese went crazy over this game. The deal with it is that it has a super cheap point of entry and its a full-scale PSN game (Platinum Trophy and everything) that's just a dollar, but you can only get new cards by winning games or buying booster packs ala DLC. It's really weird but Asia is nuts for it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah I'm crosspostin' this cool poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eW-lhkv0ZLE&hd=1

Gladiator VS is gonna be a cool game for cool people. It's the latest in Acquire's "Gladiator" franchise, comprised of "Colosseum: Road to Freedom" for the PS2 and "Gladiator Begins" for the PSP which both got North American releases. This one goes from Ancient Rome to Fantasy Medieval and gives it 3-on-3 fights with online multiplayer and heavy character customization.

And even if it doesn't come over, look how English-y it is!

Video games own.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Acquire is a very poor company, like budget From Software.

Which actually kinda fits as they both make incredibly niche stuff.

Jimbot posted:

A lot of their games never get US releases. I'm still waiting for Way of the Samurai 4 to get picked up and released in the states.

They shopped WotS4 around but apparently no one wanted to pick it up, kinda sad. No one's bothered to try and do an independent translation for it either so you can't even import it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Kinda sad that Valkyria Chronicles will never return to consoles. The third one was pretty grimdark compared to the first 2.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I'd prefer to see a Max Paine / L.A Noire crossover.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I said come in! posted:

Hell yes! I'm just glad I don't have to bust out the PS2 to play it. FFXII wasn't confirmed?

No, Square-Enix is milking this poo poo dry and doing separate releases so I imagine next year they'll have FF12 HD.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, Dead Island is pretty fun if you're the kind of person who likes the concept. It just really needs some god drat patches.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Ninja Gaiden is dead.

Turns out that Itagaki was essential to the series because the second he said "later shitlords" Team Ninja started shoving in every kind of retarded gameplay gimmick and "deep character-driven plot" they could think of.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Tokyo Jungle is going to be the funniest import of the year. I can't wait to get it either. I can just see it becoming the next Afrika/Aquanaut's Holiday "Oh, I play this but I bet you've never heard of it :smug:" game.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

^^^ Holy poo poo, Canada? RE6 is actually D2!

It'll be cool when Bandai Namco gives it an actual release date that sticks instead of going "Uhhhhh to be announced guys, seriously."

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I gave the GPS coordinates to a fellow Canadian, game apparently takes place in Thunder Bay.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

DAYTOOOOOOOOOOONAAAAAAAAAA!

Daytona USA coming to PSN and XBLA. Thank you, Jesus.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hahahaha yesss YESSSS that chintzy Gladiator VS is getting localized as "Clan of Champions"

I love those Gladiator games. So bargain basement but fun.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

DOUBLE CLICK HERE posted:

Ni No Kuni coming to America *EARLY next year, aces! Don't think I turned on my PS3 after getting a decent PC since Mortal Kombat.

*edit for link

Holy poo poo. There is a God!

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Dominic White posted:

I was just reading that the Resident Evil 4 HD update wouldn't have Move support. Is that true? If so, it's a dealbreaker. The Wii version is so much better than the Gamecube or PS2 versions, and that one can be emulated and played at HD resolutions with antialiasing. Not much reason to get the PS3 version unless they can top that.

It's been out a couple weeks now in Japan as BIOHAZARD Revival Selection and it appears that the RE4 HD update is just an HD asset update, no Move.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Cartoon Man posted:

I'm sure they will sell them both seperately at a higher cost than it would have been if you bought the disc. :smith:

Splinter Cell HD Collection sold separately on the UK PSN for less than what it would cost to buy it this month at retail on Blu-ray a month in advance.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yechezkel posted:

The Drop - New releases this week

The next PS1 classics to come to PSN this Tuesday are Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy VI.
:raise: I don't remember either of those games getting PS1 releases.

Both of them came out as part of the Final Fantasy Anthology.

vvv Oh right, Chronicles had Chrono Trigger.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

yellowcar posted:

It's because Square loves money.

Hey, don't rock the boat. Only reason Square started giving America the PS1 Classics was because they needed the cash after FF14.

Let 'em ride it out until they finish the catalog at least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

WKC's major problem is that it's obvious it was an MMORPG that was downgraded at some point to a Monster Hunter/Phantasy Star Online style hub system with repeatable quests and they jerry-rigged in a story mode to it.

If you like MMOs and that kind of treadmill gameplay, you'll probably enjoy it. I didn't mind WKC's online mode, it just had way too much grinding in it if you were the type to want to get all the Trophies. Regular people would be fine.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Yeah, $10 or maybe $20 is what I'd pay for it. That sounds okay!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Uuuuuughhhhhh :ughh:

Well I guess that's money I can save for... Code Veronica X HD... yeah...

• Locked thread