Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
So I got a PS3 recently and I'm making a list of all the poo poo that I have to get because I'm a PC gamer and haven't played any of the games that are exclusive to the consoles. My PC is fairly beefy so I have no interest in playing PS2 games on my PS3, I can get their PS2 counterparts cheaper and emulate them in HD.

So far I own:
Demon's Souls
Metal Gear Solid 4
Nier
Everything that's free on PS Plus

I want to own:
Bayonetta
Red Dead Redemption
Dragon's Dogma
Journey
Enslaved
Heavy Rain(I thought this game was supposed to be dog poo poo but my sigoth really wants to play it)
The Last Guardian(if it ever comes out)
Maybe Yakuza games??

What else should I get? I don't know if I'll like Uncharted, if it's just shoot 30 guys, watch a cutscene and maybe a scripted sequence where a bridge collapses and Nathan Drake grabs a ledge, shoot 30 guys, etc I'm probably not interested. I'm open to other suggestions though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Housh posted:

Pfft. This guy thinks he's too good for the Uncharted series.

I was watching an LP of the second game and it didn't look like a game I would like playing :(

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Krad posted:

God of War/Infamous series.

I have the PS2 God of War games. They're alright but unless GoW3 is something totally different I'm just going to skip it for now. I have Infamous 2 through PS Plus, is there anything wrong with it versus the first game or am I good to go?

a shameful boehner posted:

It's more than that. If you ever liked action-adventure platformers with a side of puzzles, you'll like Uncharted a lot. There's more to it than just watching an LP. There's a tactility, for want of a better word, that Uncharted does so much better than any other franchise. Everything flows incredibly well, the dialogue is perfect, and the graphics are the best there has been on a console to date. The entire series, and 2 especially. My recommendations:

-recommendations

Streets of Rage 2 is on PSN. I am stoked. It'll be slightly more convenient for me than getting it on Steam. Don't think I'm going to get MK9(I already have two fighters through PS Plus, SFIVAE and KOF13) and I'll probably get RF:G on PC. Dead Space is great, already played them both though. Thanks.

blackguy32 posted:

Valkyria Chronicles which is a decent but easily breakable strategy game and Little Big Planet which is a weird controlling but quirky and interesting platformer with custom content.

Ah yeah, I have LBP2 through Plus as well(drat that's a hell of a package) so that's covered. Valkyria Chronicles sounds cool and I have some friends who swear by it so I'll add that to the list.

BlindNinja posted:

Comment/avatar match complete.

But yea, if you're interested in exclusives, and have the cash to spare (considering your hesitant attitude), it's not much of a gamble to go for the Uncharted dual pack. A fellow goon used to nonchalantly comment to me that he didn't like 3rd person shooters, or paying full-price for 8 hour games, but has since become a borderline Uncharted fanboy after the games dropped in price. You can pay $29 for the first two games together, and $20 for UC3, which is so worth it.

Some random PSN exclusives that are more than worth playing:
PixelJunk Monsters
Super Stardust HD
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battlecars (I will not stop championing this game until at least one more goon loves it as much as I do)
Wipeout HD

That third game has an awesome name so I'll check that out. Pixeljunk Monsters sounds neat as well, since I like TD games.

Alright, you guys convinced me re: Uncharted. I'll give it a shot, I'm sure it'll be cheap anyway.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Question Mark Mound posted:

I've noticed that when the rear end in a top hat bridge dragon kills baddies I get the souls from it, so I've spent the last hour just getting those guys to respawn and levelling myself up for free.

FYI there's no disadvantage to doing this but Dark Souls doesn't require it since you can beat the game at level 1, you get plenty of souls, and upgrading your shield and your weapon is more important anyway.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You should use those Soul of a (Lost Undead, etc) items every time you want to level up or otherwise spend your souls. Just don't use the boss souls(they'll have the boss's name) or the firekeeper souls like that. The first blacksmith has two shields good enough to carry you through the game, although they aren't the best out there. There is a guy you can sell your items to, but by the time you get to them even the most expensive items will only get you a pittance. You can get a storage box from the merchant in the Undead Burg or from the blacksmith, or you can drop the items, or you can hang onto them because only items equipped on your body matter.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Question Mark Mound posted:

Hm, I might backtrack back to the merchant then if grenades become very important. I think I picked up a spear out of a chest at one point early on. I'm just a little after that now where I got the Black Knight's shield at the top of a spiral staircase, went all Hakuna Matata on Pumba's rear end, then beat some dude with a massive shield.

FYI that Black Knight Shield is better than the ones I was suggesting, if you can use it. The way you tell is to go to equip it and hit (Square? it's X on the 360 controller) to bring up the stat screen. The most important stat on shields is called "Stability". What it does is reduce the amount of stamina damage you take from an attack, so you need fewer points of stamina to endure an attack without having your guard broken.

You don't need firebombs. They're handy sometimes but you don't need them. Right now priority one for you is getting the bonfire in the Parish. You're very close to it, as well as the blacksmith.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah I think my phrasing was poor. I didn't mean that's how you can tell if you can use it(your stat requirements are on the same page, if you don't meet one it appears in red), the stability is how you tell if it's one of the best shields :)

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
edit: beaten to hell

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Cardboard Fox posted:

I was just looking at the November PS+ free games that were available. Did the EU guys really get both Arkham City and Vanquish in 1 month? That's crazy lucky.

Yeah it's loving terrible! SFIVAE and KOF being on there is good for me because I want to play them but I would really LOVE to play Vanquish and the used prices are just a tad high for such a short game when I have a bunch of other stuff I need to get.

Renoistic posted:

Next EU store update gives PS+ users the game "Knytt Underground". Has anyone heard of it?

I don't know anything about Knytt Underground but Knytt Stories is a loving fantastic metroidvania-esque game focusing on exploration and atmosphere rather than fighting dudes.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Captain Walker posted:

Somebody Renegade interrupt me if I get Dragon Age 3 sight unseen after this, tia

Was Fart Fry 3 any good in the story dept? I barely touched 2 but I liked what I saw.

I guess for hyper-macho drama we'll always have Yakuza :allears:

If you like hyper macho drama check out Sleeping Dogs. From what I've heard about Far Cry 3, though, the story is so bad it almost ruins the game.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The writing wasn't that great but it was decent as far as video games go. There's a lot of "Hey, we need to make a mission to promote x gameplay, write something quick for that" and yeah it's cliche but it's overall I feel like it's a story that you actually sit through the cutscenes for. The voice acting goes a long way honestly.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Just finished Journey about two hours ago. I definitely enjoyed it a lot and can see why it just won GOTY from ign and gets all this praise heaped upon it. Totally gorgeous game, probably one of the best looking games ever.

I say that as a total graphics whore who has to actively deal with the fact that ps3 games are in 720p as opposed to my pc's 1080.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Is the Ratchet and Clank game on PS Plus any good?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Housh posted:

Binary Domain worth $20? I love the Yakuza games and I'm a fan of 3rd person cover base shooting in games like Uncharted.

I've never played Yakuza but I played Binary Domain on the PC(Got it for about $10 earlier this year) and I thought it was pretty awesome. The shooting is decent, just make sure you shoot for limbs and heads, and the story is really fun pulpy sci-fi. The story and the characters really surprised me because they definitely get more interesting than the average game/story of this type. Not Shakespeare, but worth the money to me.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

It's funny that BD is as solid (or great) as it is (so say most people) I was on an early Focus Group for that game and it was pretty awful at that point and everyone in the group let the game have it.

Maybe the folks behind the one-way glass actually listened. :)

Are you allowed to say what was wrong with it?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Why did sucker punch think the story of infamous 2 was good enough to justify making the cutscenes unskippable :psyduck:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dan Didio posted:

They're probably load screens in disguise.

Sometimes I think the only reason writers in games are allowed to write long-winded scenes in games is so that loading screens are easier to hide.

It takes it maybe 4-5 seconds to load into their cutscene-less user generated content so I don't think it's all load screens. I'm not even sure I'm going to give this game much more of a chance, though. This game is clearly targeted at someone else.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
I also beat it in one sitting, can't recommend doing otherwise.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Renoistic posted:

I just tried Knytt Underground which I got for free with PSN plus. Think Cave Story with no combat, and Super Meat Boy with forgiving difficulty and the ability to climb every wall, and a huge place to explore. A lot of places are closed off at the beginning but about an hour into the game you get some abilities which makes the whole map open for exploration. The graphics and design are... unique, the music pretty chill and the whole game manages to be both sort of relaxing and seriously addictive! Try it out if you have the chance.

Have you played Knytt Stories and if so how does it compare?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Dominic White posted:

It's less like Knytt Stories, and more like a mash-up of Nifflas' other games. It's part Knytt, part Within A Deep Forest and part Nightsky.

Also, there's a little bit of a fakeout early on. There's three chapters, and Chapters 1 & 2 amount to about 15% of the game.

Well, that sounds pretty cool. I like that guy's games quite a bit so I'll put this on my list.

Housh posted:

I never played Mass Effect because I thought it was some nerdy RPG and I don't have the patience or am too stupid for that genre.

Would I be able to enjoy playing the Mass Effect series solely based off the story and not worry about getting stuck due to me sucking at the RPG element? I was always curious to see what the fuss was all about. I am a huge Star Trek TNG fan and the game is :canada: like me.

It's a little more RPG than Call of Duty loadouts. You don't even have to choose how to build your character if you don't want to. For reference I'm a huge RPG dork and I didn't take to Mass Effect very much after the first one(granted, I haven't played the third) because it just doesn't have as much RPG stuff in there as I would want.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
It's kind of sad actually, as far as I can tell the "correct" class to choose if you want to have fun is Vanguard. Is it even a matter of preference?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
You guys. Oh my god. Tokyo jungle is amazing. I just started it last night and I can't stop thinking about it. If I weren't at work I'd be playing right now.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Speedball posted:

So I got a copy of Crysis via the PSN a while, only just started playing it for real here. I, uh... it seems...

Either I'm really bad at it or it's overrated. I can't hardly see anyone even in a distance, but they can see me! I'm a glass cannon who can only take a few hits, and I can only CRAWL or do short bursts of walking for stealth followed by hitting the dirt behind a crate and praying to God that there's not an invisible soldier right next to me looking at me. Jesus.
I never had a problem with draw distance on pc, but... That was on pc. I played the game on hard and mostly went through by cycling my powers a lot; I abused speed the most followed by stealth. You can pretty much break the game using stealth almost exclusively, though. You just need to make liberal use of cover, including foliage, and choose your encounters intelligently. Running in and brute forcing it will get you slaughtered.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Yeah, their camo is certainly effective on PC but not that effective. I bet the low resolution is making it harder.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

FanaticalMilk posted:

Tidbits of new info about Dark Souls II

It sounds like Dark Souls II is going back to the hub plus multiple worlds style of map that Demon's Souls had rather than the open world map Dark Souls had.

Am I reading this wrong?

quote:

In regards to how Dark Souls II will connect to its predecessor, it will take place in the same world, although it won’t be a direct sequel. The story will take place in a different area with different people. Shibuya decided to stick to the original Dark Souls map style, instead of opting for an open-open world. As far as recurring characters go, not much can be said for the time being.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Why would that be a typo? It's just describing the Dark Souls style interconnected passageways with the occasional clearing rather than the Skyrim-style "turn and walk in any direction and you'll find the edge of the world". Hence why it says open-open and not just open.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Ineffiable posted:

So can we take it as 'Nothing to worry about, let's move on and wait for Dark Souls 2 with even more anticipation?'

I mean sweet jesus dudes, the guy admitting that the game works and that they shouldn't change it. Like, look how many franchises have been damaged because developers though it needed a new look. See Lost Planet 3, the new DMC, and more examples that I can't recall right now.

Well, to be honest I really wouldn't mind him putting his own stamp on it. Nobody wants to see this franchise turn into another yearly sequel type of thing where they have to put up a bulleted list of what's new like in Madden. I think Demon's Souls and Dark Souls have very distinct personalities while at the same time being obviously cut from the same cloth, and I hope Dark Souls 2 is the same way.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
King's Field was cool and all but if they had anything like the current Souls design, first person would be utterly worthless, even suicidal.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

precision posted:

I seriously don't understand how anyone has fond memories of the King's Field games. All I remember is boring and dull.

Then again I also liked Demon's Souls better than Dark so I'm probably crazy or whatever. :shrug:

Actually, I would have guessed that someone who prefers Demon's Souls(which is not at all a crazy opinion) would be more likely to enjoy King's Field. The atmosphere of those games is similar. The combat isn't, of course.

Dominic White posted:

Chrome Hounds was dead on arrival. In large part due to how astoundingly bad the gaming press handled it. It got a bunch of sub-50% review scores that literally played only the singleplayer tutorial, which amounts to about 5 short missions with first-generation (woefully underpowered) tech.

Now, the game was effectively online-only. The ONLY offline segment was this training bit. 95% of the content was online only. A lot of it wasn't even revealed until the game had been running for some point - nobody knew the game even HAD co-op boss battles until quite some time after launch.

It had balance issues, but now knowing what Microsoft charge for patches, it's very understandable that Sega didn't bankroll regular hotfixes.

Some of the war stuff was cool, but I and my group of friends ultimately didn't enjoy the competitive side of the multiplayer. It didn't feel like the hound class system really got any use because the best hounds were always weird hybrids, so we just played against bots. That was reasonably fun, and you could make some very goofy mechs so that was cool. I think if I had to rate it I'd give it a 3/5 and I don't see any reason why there needs to be a Chrome Hounds 2.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Time has not been kind to those games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Holy poo poo, right analog stick camera control alone would flip the script on those games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Electromax posted:

Shadow Tower Abyss was a successor to Kings Field on PS2 that allowed that. You even got a gun. It's probably IMO the best KF style game out there, better than KF 4.

I remember Eternal Ring was another launch PS2 game that was essentially KF with another name. Can't remember much about it though.

Edit- best classic KF game I should say, ala KF 1-4

Yeah I've heard a lot about Shadow Tower Abyss. Now that there's an english translation I'm strongly considering checking it out. Gotta play through all these other games first.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jamesman posted:

Does Dark Souls have any of the bullshit that Demon's Souls had? And I going to have to replay it a bajillion times and farm for super-rare items or do dumb poo poo to get worlds into pure white or something? Or can I just have fun with it?

Farming and replaying is pretty minimal compared to Demon's Souls in my opinion. There's no tendency of any kind and nothing in the game similar to it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Furthermore Symphony of the Night is amazing, one of the best games ever. Don't farm up a crissaegrim or whatever, that's stupid. You might as well play Everquest.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
How is the PSN version of Symphony of the Night? Is it updated in any way?

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

weird bleep posted:

It's a PS1 Classic, so it's completely unchanged. The XBLA version is different and has the FMV removed due to the size restraints on games at the time.

I was hoping there was a nice HD version. Oh well.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jamesman posted:

Well that's what I was asking. Also, that sucks because Demon's Souls was pretty fun but not when you replayed it 5 times in a row and spent 10 hours killing sky mantas for rare drops. Was hoping Dark Souls wouldn't be like that.

I seriously do not think there is anything in the game that will take 10 hours to farm. Nothing.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Good deal. I played that game on PC a while back and thought it was solid.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Jimbot posted:

Did they move the A team to Last of Us and had interns design the combat scenarios for this game or something?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VarrosAnon posted:

People spelled doom with the Vita in 2012, but I think the Vita is an excellent rebranding of the Playstation line and people are starting to take notice.

Not to derail the ps4 discussion but as much as I want to like the vita, if they don't have some serious poo poo to show at E3, the Vita is hosed.

• Locked thread