Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Haven't been here before - I wanted to know, is this the place for PS4 speculation, or does that have its own thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

There's nothing to talk about right now on that front. All you're going to see is people throwing out a wishlist of features.

That's pretty much what I was referring to. I had an idea regarding the chances of the PS4 having HD-Collection next-gen equivalents, and wanted to hear the thought of others. But if everyone wants to keep the thread on just hard PS3 discussion, then that's ok.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I said come in! posted:

I just want more useful XMB features and for the XMB to be faster. Party voice chat like Xbox Live would be really nice. I hope the PS4 has PS2 backwards compatibility, and it goes without saying, PS3 compatibility would be nice too.

Otherwise I can't think of much else. I hope every game can be in 1080p this time, but I think that'll be a given. I can see the PS4 having at least 2gb of ram for everything and that should be more than enough.

Yeah, I think all this is pretty much guaranteed, except MAYBE the BC given past action on that front. I'm sure 1080p will be the minimum - hell, we'll probably see games running in 1440p/2160p more often than not. And I hope Sony gives the thing a BDXL drive.

My theory was that we might see the PS4's version of HD Collections applied to PS3 classics - like an Uncharted Collection with all 3 games on a 128GB BDXL disc, running in native 1080p/1440p at 60fps. I wonder what the chances are of that, given the succes of stuff like the God of War/Metal Gear Solid Collections?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

the truth posted:

Even if that were possible, what would be the point when TV's aren't at those resolutions? 720p isn't even the minimum for some of the biggest games in this gen, so don't get your hopes up. I'd be happy with smooth 60 fps, no screen tearing, great AA, motion blur when it's appropriate, and consistent 720-1080p.

Well, 2160p TVs might start coming out in a couple of years, and I think Sony would want to jump on that ASAP, like they did with 1080p for the PS3 (of course, since most PS3 games run at 720p, that situation would likely result in PS3 games doing 'only' 1440p.

Of course, maybe the minimum resolution will be kept at 1080p to avoid making people buy 2160p TVs, and the spare horsepower will be used by making native-1080p 3D mandatory for every title? I do agree though - 1080p is a perfectly fine resolution, and I'd rather see the PS4's graphical power go towards better models/textures/draw-distance than bigger resolutions.

edit: Oh, and I want them to release the PS Eye's sucessor, which will trump the Kinect, as well as make the Move even more accurate.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Nov 18, 2011

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Feenix posted:

There's a PS3 General Chat probably more appropriate (if any) for PS4 chat.

Fair enough. Thanks.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Biodome posted:

I think most TV's can only do 720p 3D for gaming because the 3D only goes to 24HZ in 1080p mode and that looks like poo poo for games.

Are you sure? Hm. Maybe that will be improved in future 3DTVs - I know computer monitors have to be about to able to go with the 1080p/60fps 3D that high-end rigs can pull off.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Killzone Trilogy Confirmed:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/09/06/killzone-trilogy-joins-playstation-collection-on-october-23rd/

And yes, the first game is a widescreen 720p port with Trophies, which will also be on the PSN as a standalone download. Guess now we know why the PS2 Classics version was 'delayed indefinitely'.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

Killzone 1 still isn't worth playing. It feels like a glitchy, bland piece of poo poo.

Everyone says this, but I enjoyed it. I'd like to play it in 60fps (assuming it is, the link only shows widecreen/720p/Trophies). I'll probably grab it if it goes on sale for PS+ members or something - I'd pay $10 for it.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

So apparently there will be a special edition of Resident Evil 6 released for PS3 called Resident Evil 6 Anthology, which will retail for $89.99 and give you the following:

Resident Evil 6
Resident Evil 5: Gold Edition (PSN voucher)
Resident Evil 4 HD (PSN voucher)
Resident Evil 3 (PSN voucher)
Resident Evil 2 (PSN voucher)
Resident Evil: Director's Cut (PSN voucher)

That's actually really cool in my opinion. Granted, Capcom have been absolute shits for a while now, but that's a neat way to release a game I think, chucking in all the previous releases in a special bundle. I've no idea if this bundle will be released in Europe or not.

Am I the only one who finds it odd that CVX HD isn't included in that? It's kind of important, what with it revealing, y'know, the major villain of the whole saga up to RE5 and all.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

BlindNinja posted:

I'm half-way through the 2nd level of Double Dragon Neon, and I can't for the life of me figure out why IGN gave it a 3/10 (besides the fact that they're IGN). I'm playing co-op with a friend, and it's fun as poo poo. The controls feel tight but not restrictive, soundtrack is good of course, and the visuals are nice. Only 30 minutes in, but given how loose IGN is with ratings, I can't believe they would give it anything worse than a 6/10.

The IGN reviewer was clearly the type who had no love for the entire genre. He actually ended the review by basically saying "Look everyone, we have to face the fact that the brawler genre was never good." As one of the comments noted, it was like someone with a thorough dislike of football reviewing a Madden game.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Housh posted:

I got PS+ earlier this week and I'm loving it. From the free games to the free dynamic themes and avatars I would never pay for but adore, I'm totally enjoying the experience. It's also a nice feeling reading what your PS3 has been downloading/updating in the background whenever you boot it up. I highly recommend PS+ for anyone on the fence.

It made me like my PS3 a whole lot more that I'm tempted to buy the revision when it comes out so I get a region 1/A bluray player. I was gifted this UK PS3 which plays my games perfectly fine after I got a step down converter. Unfortunately, I can't switch the region setting for the bluray player. Does anyone know if it is even remotely possible?

As already said, sadly no. For what it's worth, my solution has been to get a BD drive for my PC and just use that for anything my PS3 won't play, it works fine.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

This was announced ages ago (except for the release date, so thanks for that). It is great, but I would've been more tickled at a ZOE HD demo in the MGS HD Collection. Repaying the favour!

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I kind of like the HD collections because it's giving me something in a better and more durable format (it's widely known blu-ray discs will survive far longer than dvd discs)

It is? I've heard a lot of different advantages Blu-ray has, but I've never heard that one. How long are they supposed to last?

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

KH HD "collection" is funny to me because it is a port of an early PS2 game, a port of a GBA game ported to PS2 then ported to PS3, and a port of a DS game.

RE: Chain of Memories isn't a port, it's a 3D remake, and the collection apparently doesn't include a port of 358/2 Days, but rather contains remade versions of all the cutscenes. I guess they thought a DS game wouldn't be impressive enough on PS3 gameplay-wise but still wanted to make the story widely-available.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ah but the story and battle systems were intact right? It was just a 2D>3D Transition?

Haven't played either, but from what I've heard, that's correct. I'm just saying that RE:CoM is most definitely a remake - more so even than something like Resident Evil on GC, or The Twin Snakes. Now, the HD version of KH1? THAT'S a port.

quote:

Honestly not having KH1 and KH2 in the same HD collection is kind of a joke, it really feels like they want to do KH collection 1, then KH collection 2 with KH2 and cutscenes from BBS.

I guess the idea is to have HD ReMIX 1.5 (aka, 1 and the games set between 1 and 2), then have 2.5, with 2 and whatever remains. Honestly, if they're really trying to make the full KH story available to all PS3 owners before KH3 comes out, asking for only one collection is a bit greedy - no HD collection has ever had more than 3 games, and KH has, like, 5-8, depending on whether you count Coded, whether you think they would release a HD Dream Drop Distance so soon, and whether or not Birth By Sleep Volume 2 is still coming out. Given that, making 2 collections and giving each one a flagship 'main numbered entry' is fair, I think.

Also, I doubt BBS would just be cutscenes - still haven't played it as it's not on the PS Store, but I'm pretty sure it's nearly as advanced graphics-and-gameplay-wise as the main titles and could work fine as a PS3 port. I'd just like if they did some extra work on it, like what was done with the God of War Origins Collection.

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Sep 20, 2012

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

According to IGN, that PS3 version of ME1 will be released by itself on PSN as well.

Also, I wonder what will happen DLC-wise? Will ME1 have Being Down the Sky and Pinnacle Station built in? Will ME2 on PS3 retain its form of having all pre-Arrival DLC built in, and if so, will the other versions get the same or will they just have less content than the PS3 version? I'm curious. Also curious about what happened to the exclusivity.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

At least watch all of AC1 on youtube, if you don't want to play it. I really like AC's story, but it's nutty and complicated and if you skip the first game it'll be that much harder to understand.

Also, was it really only the first shipment of Revelations PS3 that came with AC1? Shame.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

RE6's reviews really are all over the place.

http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/resident-evil-6/critic-reviews (more reviews have been added to the 360 version's page)

Everything on the 100-point scale from 30 to 95, with a 69 average (I should note that off the top of my head, this has not yet included Bloody-Disgusting's 9/10). Personally, I'll get it, although I'm waiting for the cheaper, better looking PC version. I enjoyed the demo and really dug the polarising RE5, so I'd say that makes me more likely to be on the side of the critics giving it 8/10 and above.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Dominic White posted:

4 hours of cutscenes, but word is that it's a huge game. Like, twice the length of RE4 or something crazy like that - 20+ hours, bare minimum.

Supposedly, each of the 4 campaigns is split into 5 chapters, and each chapter is 'an hour or so'. So yes, huge. There's also something I heard about a 5th 'Prologue' campaign, but nothing detailed. Given that there's also Agent Hunt and The Mercenaries, as well as the various perks you can get to fit your playstyle and add replay value, there's a shitload of content if you like the gameplay, and I thought the demo was fine.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Interview about Killzone HD:

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2012/10/04/killzone-hd-interview-enhancing-the-original/

It seems we'll be getting more than the standard 720p/60fps/16:9 upgrade. For example, the textures were originally created at twice the required size, then downscaled to fit the PS2's memory - Killzone HD uses the full-size textures. The shaders and LOD settings are better, there's a new, updated control scheme, etc.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Policenaut posted:

I believe Killzone and Zone of the Enders HD Collection are both Blu-ray and digital, so you should be set there. Does anyone else know of other HD collections coming out soon? Those are the only ones I can remember.

I'm pretty sure Killzone HD is only available on PSN unless you buy the Killzone Trilogy. There's no standalone physical Killzone HD.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Needs More Jazz posted:

I got Ultimate Tenkaichi. Played it. Returned it for Raging Blast 2.

It was the right decision. Ultimate Tenkaichi's less of a fighting game and more like rock-paper-scissors.

I'll still force myself through my copy later. What I really want is a DBZ game that plays like Zone of the Enders.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Yeah, one of the many things I liked about Infamous 2 was in an era where game endings feel more like ads for the next game than actual endings, Sucker Punch had the balls to have two completely different endings that didn't lend themselves to sequels at all and even if they did would lead to two completely different games, thus making a sequel more trouble than it's worth. It would be unfortunate if they undid that. I think Sony own the franchise though and if they want a sequel, they can do it without Sucker Punch (who I think said they would only do one if they really found a story that justified it).

I'm pretty sure Sucker Punch confirmed that the Hero Ending is considered the 'real' one, with the Villain ending being a 'what if' thing. So inFamous 3, if it happens, would follow that ending.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

365games/OzGameShop/NZGameShop have the ZOE HD Collection pre-order on sale. You have to pay the full price upfront, but hey, the shipping's free.

UK£23.99: http://www.365games.co.uk/ps3-games/zone-of-the-enders-hd-collection-game-ps3
AU$36.99: http://www.ozgameshop.com/ps3-games/zone-of-the-enders-hd-collection-game-ps3
NZ$69.99: http://www.nzgameshop.com/ps3-games/zone-of-the-enders-hd-collection-game-ps3

BreakAtmo fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Oct 25, 2012

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ulio posted:

Bought a digital psn card from Amazon but its not working, are those region locked ? I live in Canada, is that separate from US codes?

Sadly yes. I'd buy it off you, though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So, has anyone heard anything about possibly being able to pre-order the US PSN version of PSASBR in order to get those exclusive costumes? It's the only way I can get the US version for a decent price and I'd really like to play as MGS2 Raiden. Sucks if they just don't let you pre-order it while allowing it for other games. :(

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Weinertron posted:

So thanks to the Black Friday infamous bundle, I have purchased my first console from the current generation.

Do I want to get little big planet 1, 2, or both? I'm looking for games that are not shooters and don't have PC versions. The only PS3 games that I really know exist are little big planet and Wipeout HD.

I'd also love a recommendation for a game that caters well to 3D TVs.

I heard LBP2 is LBP1 but more, and can use all the LBP1 DLC. So get that. I've also heard Uncharted 3 works nicely in 3D, but well... see thread title.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Hey. Persona 4 Arena just came out on American PSN.
I've got a Aus/NZ system with a US PSN account. Would I be able to play this region locked game on that profile or does it somehow look at the hardware and know I don't have an American system?

I did actually hear from some people today that it does, in fact, check your hardware and won't work. Get a second opinion though.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

So, there's something I wanted thoughts on. Who here agrees with me that bundling a Move and the next-gen 3rd iteration of the EyeToy/PS Eye with the PS4 would be a good idea? The way I see it, the Move is actually a really nice motion controller, but 2 things hold it back:

1. Developers can't make a game that exclusively utilises it without cutting out a huge chunk of the install base.
2. The PS Eye only does a 480p resolution at max which could be hampering the accuracy of the controller.

Having a Move and a HD Eye with every PS4 (rumours I've heard have suggested a dual-camera device with each lens capable of 720p) would solve both of these problems. Combine that with the fact that there are a great many people out there who already have a Move or two, and the PS4 would be in a better position for decent motion control games than even the Wii was, since it didn't launch to an environment where millions of people already owned Wiimotes.

I get that a lot of people don't like motion controls, but I believe they have their place when good games are built around them, and I think the Move is a great device in and of itself, that suffers due to a situation that is solvable.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Shalinor posted:

Xbox will come with Kinect built-in, so I'd be really, really surprised if Sony didn't at least release with an integrated PS Eye.

What with the LED on the prototype controller I think you're right. Now I really just hope they add a Move as well. There's so much potential, especially given all the Moves in circulation, Sony just needs the devs in a situation where an exclusive Move game will be playable to essentially all PS4 owners.

NESguerilla posted:

Without gimmicks we would never get any new standards.

a couple of things I have called stupid gimmicks in my life.
-Analog sticks
-rumble
-virtual boy

Agreed. One person's gimmick is another's feature.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Terminally Bored posted:

That PS4 gamepad isn't the most stylish thing I've ever seen but at least it looks practical. Sixaxis is a little too small for me.

Rememer that it's a prototype dev version (I think), so it's likely just got all the useable features and the consumer model will have better aesthetics. Devs don't need an expensive, pretty controller.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I mostly agree with your other points, but this is a pipe dream. I wouldn't even expect all games to be 1080p. Think about it. 4k is four times the resolution of 1080p, when most games today barely hit 720p. Per your own (reasonable) estimate we're getting an increase of less than an order of magnitude in power. Required computational power may not precisely scale linearly with resolution but it's a good crude short hand to get the point across. If you want an increase in graphical fidelity (outside of resolution) 4k isn't happening.

The systems might be able to output in 4k (especially later down the road), but only stuff besides games. 4k is still seriously far from any mainstream adoption.

Not to mention that I would much prefer for them to just stop at 1080p for this gen, and use the extra processing power for better modelling/lighting/textures/framerates/etc. All that stuff is largely visible to anyone with a common 1080p television, whereas if they decided to downgrade the rest of the visuals in favour of trying to do 4K resolution, the game would look like butt on a TV that wasn't at least $12k. Honestly, I think that when it comes to resolution, 1080p with some AA is 'good enough' when you consider the sacrifices in other graphical elements needed to go higher.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

Dudes, I would be loving TERRIFIED to download uncompressed Metal Gear Solid 5/6 (from PSN) on uncompressed 4k.

Also, isn't it reported that 4k movies literally take over a terabyte, and the difference is mostly noticeable when you have hdmi out to a tv that's like over 70 inches?

I doubt it would be a terabyte. You can fit a 1080p film on a 25GB single-layer Blu-ray (albeit with unsightly compression, it's better to use the space on a 50GB disc). Since 4K is 4x the detail of 1080p, a heavily compressed one could probably be made to fit on one of those 128GB BDXL discs they finalised the specification for in 2010. Of course, a new disc format with 1 TB or more would be better, but if you want to play 4K movies on a PS4...

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Policenaut posted:

Sony's been doing a lot of uncharacteristic reaching out to the whole PC gaming scene lately. Lone Survivor, Binding of Issac, Terraria, and Frozen Synapse are all coming to PlayStation. It kind of kicks rear end.

I want To The Moon on Vita. :(

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Was a little disappointed by S-E, but Agni's Philosophy running on PS4 is still good. And Watch Dogs is looking amazing right now.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

What did you guys think of the Media Molecule presentation? I kinda groaned when they started using PlayStation Move controllers, but I genuinely think that 3D sculpting of models is cool as heck. I get the impression that they were hinting about some kind of LBP-style game that takes place in a proper 3D world where you have tools such as the sculpting one to truly go hog wild with content creation, which is a really exciting prospect in my opinion.

Also, being able to play games as you download them sounds pretty cool :)

I think the Move is great, I hope it gets bundled with every console so devs can make Move games more freely. I loved the games shown - Killzone looks insanely good, I adore the inFamous sites and I love that they're exploring what would happen in a world of superpowered people. Most of it was great. Wanted to see the console, but I can wait on that.

And seriously, the main thread is retarded. Actually expecting the price and exact date this early? Come on. A retarded monkey could tell that'll be at E3.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Ineffiable posted:

I don't think 12 was officially in the works at the moment, but it seems like a logical next step after they're done with FFX-HD.

Correct, FFXII HD was never announced. I do want it though - never did get to beat that game, since it looked like utter rear end on my PS3. A proper widescreen 720p 60fps version would be lovely. Though I still think they should have just done X, X-2 and XII HD with the FMVs redone and put them on one disc for $60.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

Spalec posted:

Play them in release order (1 > 2 > CoO > 3 > GoS).

Speaking of God of war, is anyone excited for the demo of ascension tomorrow? I'm sure it'll be more of the same but its a whole hell of a lot of fun.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they can be played in chronological order, with the exception of the first game needing to come first because of flashback stuff. So 1, CoO, GoS, 2, 3.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

axleblaze posted:

You should play the first one first. After that you can play them in the order of release or in story order. Both orders work.

I agree with this. Best order is 1, CoO, GoS, 2, 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

:I

I would hope brand new hardware after 7 years could handle more than that

Why? The hardware has nothing to do with it. If you want 60fps, you have to pay for it with inferior visuals, lack of vsync, less objects on-screen, etc. Having more powerful hardware doesn't change that. Sure, a 60fps PS4 game will look better than a 30fps PS3 game, but it'll also look worse than a 30fps PS4 game. Until we have consoles capable of photo-realistic visuals, infinite on-screen objects AND 60fps all at once, going above 60fps will come with a price. I don't necessarily agree with their choice, but it's theirs. They wanted cinematic spectacle at 30fps. Not to mention that 60fps can be a difficult feature to advertise, since unlike better graphics and having more stuff on-screen, you can't show it off in screenshots or YouTube videos.

• Locked thread