Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm still wondering if Dark Arisen will have a new trophy list or if it will stack on top of the vanilla game... Getting double Dragon's Dogma plats would be a fun thing to work toward inbetween everything else I'll be playing. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I feel like I'm doing something wrong sometimes as a gamer since I don't particularly care about FPS and resolutions, all I care about is if I have fun playing the game. Those things are nice, but I'd rather enjoy what I'm playing than spend half the time wishing it ran or looked better. :shobon:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I wanted to get the Dishonored DLC and spend my night playing it. :(

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Malicious was a weird game. I blitzed through it fast enough and had fun with it, yet two of them bosses in particular are kind of a pain. The hovering fortress as Shalinor mentioned is the most annoying one in my opinion, due to the fact you break down all his armor, then he gets a super barrier you have to break through AGAIN to do damage to him... I liked it, I just wish there was more reason to use the other powers. I beat the majority of the game just grabbing a ton of aura, releasing to level 2 or 3, then pummeling the bosses with fists.

My main complaint with the game would be the lock-on, as it was made the camera flip the gently caress out at times which resulted in me taking hits I could have blocked. :(

Lot of fun for the price of being free on PS+ though!

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Spalec posted:

I think they put out embargos to stop spoilers as well. At least, that was Konami's excuse for MGS4.

And I appreciate it. I'm on media blackout for Last of Us until it's in my PS3 and I've beaten it, so any hushing of pre-release talk of the plot is a very good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

I thought the gameplay was fine, honestly. It worked better than the whole "marginally evolved Xenogears combat" (which was still terrible), stocking everyone up, downing an enemy and combo boosting everyone in to unload on them felt pretty good. Story... well, it's not like XS1 had a good story either. Or Xenogears (80 hours of bad Evangelion fanfiction).

Beyond that, I could name you at least 20 JRPGs that are far worse than any Xenogame. Idea Factory have made 20 JRPGs, right?

In actuality, it's me. I'm the one guy who likes XS2.

I'll back you up a little, I liked XS2. Though personally I think 2 had the... not necessarily weakest battle system, just the most annoying to get the hang of. Once you actually knew what you were doing though, it was alright. Shame it took me half the game to master it.

Though I really didn't like the art style of it compared to 1&3. :v:

edit: Also you should play Ni No Kuni for the amazing look of it and the story, not the battle system. :(

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

precision posted:

Aren't the Alchemist Girl games supposed to be pretty good JRPGs?

Rorona is rather dated gameplay and graphic wise now, but Totori and Meruru are both very good, solid JRPGs. Totori is actually one of my personal favorite RPGs of the PS3 era as whole.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Stare-Out posted:

I just got an e-mail... with a code to join the Final Fantasy XIV beta! :v:

Let's see what happens.

E: The client is about 4.8Gb, coming in at a lovely 7MB/s.

E2: Client downloaded and all patched up, let's do this.. oh. It just says "undefined" above the greyed-out Play button and all servers are down for maintenance. Welp.

I am jealous!! It feels like ages ago I applied to try and get in the PS3 beta... Did you download the trailer to get it, or did you apply way back when?

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I thought RE6 was a lot of fun. :shobon:

I played the entire thing with my best PSN bro though, so that probably improved my impression of it significantly. Same reason I enjoyed RE5 so much. I know 6 isn't for everybody, but it's miles away from being the worst game ever.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Troy Baker knocks it out of the loving park. It's really impressive that he manages to do such a distinctive job despite playing a borderline-identical character (on paper) in Bioshock Infinite.

It really cracks me up that he does the voice for both characters but there wasn't really a moment where I went "Oh, it's Booker again."

I played Infinite and Last of Us pretty much back to back and yeah, it was a little nuts. Joel sounds nothing at all like Booker. Like Booker is his "normal" voice for most roles he gets, while Joel sounds nothing like he normally does. His range is amazing. :allears:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm probably going to wait on the PS4 to get FFXIV. As much fun as I had with what I played of the beta, I don't want to toss down a monthly fee if I'm not 100% positive i'll be playing it at least a bit every night or every other night.

edit: oops nevermind I'm blind

Overlord K fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jul 27, 2013

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Mokinokaro posted:

Tales of Graces F is a much better jrpg choice.

Graces F is definitely the best jrpg choice on the PS3 at the moment, but I actually do like Star Ocean: TLH. The story is utterly ridiculous even by the series standard but the combat is a ton of fun so I liked it a bunch regardless. If you can get it cheap, which you probably can, there's no harm in getting it if you like action oriented RPG combat. :shobon:

It helps significantly if you like to play/don't mind playing with Japanese audio, as people will immediately jump on linking a certain scene in English as an example of how bad it is.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's just as bad in Japanese. There's two other scenes in the game as bad as that but it's a really long game and one should keep things in perspective.

Besides, if you're committed to playing a JRPG already, you should know what you are in for.

To be fair, I more meant just an example of how bad the game is in general. I almost always see it linked when someone mentions it as a deterrent for the game as a whole. :(

But yeah, you can really do way worse than Star Ocean if you're craving a JRPG.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Star Ocean 4 is amazing, it covers all the retarded anime tropes.

You forgot about Judith from Tales of Vesperia, only with pink hair. :ssh:

I actually enjoy quite a bit of the story elements of SO4 just because of how absurd they are, even by JRPG standards.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

The whole Grigory/forced evolution was kind of interesting, but they really didn't go anywhere with it outside of the standard "I'll decide my own destiny!!" crap.

Yeah, that was the most interesting part of the plot yet they didn't do nearly as much stuff with it as they should have. Made for some really good bosses at least.

Aphrodite posted:

I don't remember any of SO4's story since it takes 90 minutes to get through the dungeons where barely anything happens and you need to do it like 4 times each.

I remember so much of it because I'm one of like 1000 people who actually played through it on a higher difficulty after beating it once on the PS3... Going by the goon trophy site I have the most for it as well. Yet even with that I only have 40% of the total trophies since battle trophies are so goddamn ridiculous. :negative:

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I've never played WoW and I really liked the small amount of beta I played of FFXIV. :shobon:

I'm probably going to wait for a slow month on other releases, buy it with a handful of friends and we'll all go on a fun few weeks of MMO adventures. Probably end up revisiting it every few months to see new content, much like every other MMO type game I actually play with that circle of friends.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
I'm still sad we never got Bulletstorm on the US PS+. I wanted to play that, but not enough to go out and get it while I have a backlog to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Well, I just beat Kingdoms of Amalur after a rather ridiculous 70ish hours of play. Sure, a few of those hours were me idling while I did internet stuff, but honestly? It wasn't that bad of a game. Simple, sure, but I had fun with it. Played it on hard as someone in this thread (or the PSN thread?) recommended and while it was punishing at times when I'd get surrounded, it definitely made it more interesting and gave some fights actual challenge. Went with daggers and chakrams the whole time, with finesse and sorcery as my class combo. Combat could have done with more proper combos and really could have used more enemy variation... And it made me sad all the 'sets' of armor I found were often cool looking, yet worse than what I had already. The biggest thing though is I liked the world quite a bit, which makes me kinda sad I'll never see it again.

Overall, you could definitely do worse for an RPG. Especially when it was free! :v:

With that finished, looks like I'm grabbing Binary Domain tomorrow night. Now that one I'm looking forward to quite a bit.

• Locked thread